Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
Not really sure how this product differs from a Vive Focus. I hope more info comes out soon.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure how this product differs from a Vive Focus. I hope more info comes out soon.

The Vive Focus is mobile only. Early on, HTC advertised that you could "stream PC VR" to the focus, but it was revealed they were talking about one of the many android apps that let you do so (very terribly), but it's primarily mobile focused. This is focused on running PC games, mobile expansion seems to be an additional feature but not the main point.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
I wonder if they could use Wi-Fi 6 for streaming so you don't have to connect it to your computer.
That would be a great feature.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
So does this require a phone or no? This image in the video is confusing.

GVrIek6.png
I think they're implying one of the features is that it can also be used as a personal smartphone carrier, for all those times you don't want to physically touch your Portable Facebook Device. Convenience and power, all at the tip of your forehead. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!...

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I pray their tracking for the controllers doesn't suck. My WMR has a whole load of issues tracking so I pray it's better then that.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
HTC Vive Focus: Mobile Only
HTC Vive Cosmos: Mobile/PC plug in and play
HTC Vive: mainline PCVR
HTC Vive Pro: High end PCVR
HTC Vive Pro Eye: High end PCVR with eye tracking

Cosmos seems like the middle point between Vive and Focus. If it/similar headset managed to have tracking as good as the Vive, such a headset could basically replace both.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this the answer to the Rift or WMR and is going to priced somewhere around 400€/$

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
claims the goal of Cosmos is to make VR as easy to get into as possible. Said the number 1 complaint they've heard from VR users is that it's cumbersome to setup. Goal of Cosmos is to provide a plug and play VR system.
Yeah the wires and setup are my biggest complaint with Vive (well that and the headband, but that was already alleviated).
Damn this is dope. Hoping it can stream in decent quality.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Are you going to update the OP with a summary of what's known (and a better pic?) The current OP leaves a lot to be desired. I get you were probably in a rush, but you've had time to polish it as evidenced by all your replies.

edit: and you probably already knew, but the title incorrectly states it's a wireless headset.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sounds promising, but there's not a lot of info yet it seems. I'd love my next VR device to be able to work both with my PC and phone. I think this approach is much better than Quest and Go which have their issues with utility and cost, as Go lacks 6dof tracking and Quest has a steeper price yet no ability to connect to a PC. That said I'm not sure how the inside-out tracking plays out compared to lighthouse tracking. Maybe it's possible to use both for better overall tracking?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
claims the goal of Cosmos is to make VR as easy to get into as possible. Said the number 1 complaint they've heard from VR users is that it's cumbersome to setup. Goal of Cosmos is to provide a plug and play VR system.
God yes. This is the one reason I don't use my PSVR as often as I'd like these days. Too many steps to get going.

Wireless with power on and play functionality? It sounds perfect

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Introducing VIVE Cosmos, a new premium PC VR system, and a vision of the virtual future. It conforms to your wants, your needs with surprising ease and versatility. Whether you're new to VR or familiar, a fantastic voyage awaits. VIVE Cosmos goes beyond everything you could want in one device.

Crystal-clear graphics.
Introducing our sharpest screens yet. The all new pixel-packed displays with minimal screen door effect delivers crystal clear graphics bringing every detail in VR alive.
Real RGB displays.
Minimal screen door effect.

The all-new VIVE tracking system.
With wide and accurate tracking, gesture controls, and a 6 Degrees of freedom (DOF) headset-and-controller setup, VIVE Cosmos promises a deeply engaging VR experience right out of the box.
Source: https://www.vive.com/us/cosmos/

HTC will first offer developer kits of Vive Cosmos in early 2019, and more details on availability and price will be announced later in the year.
Source: https://blog.vive.com/us/2019/01/07/htc-vive-evolves-premium-vr-portfolio/

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They're going all out with VR, i hope this turns well for them cause otherwise they have no chances to survive.

What big VR games are coming in 2019?

Oct 25, 2017

So its a PCVR system first and foremost, with a new tracking system and an Odyssey+ style screen. Seems like a direct replacement for the OG Vive, and they've completely dropped lighthouse. HTC does not seem to be messing around here.
they announced the HTC Vive Pro Eye directly before Cosmos, which uses lighthouse.
Oh, ok. Guess they have a different idea of what a home user wants/needs vs an enterprise when it comes to a 100% comprehensive tracking system. Not exactly a fan of that, but I guess I'll be waiting for valve. Still weird that the WA seems to have been sidelined here in favor of Virtualink. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds promising, but there's not a lot of info yet it seems. I'd love my next VR device to be able to work both with my PC and phone. I think this approach is much better than Quest and Go which have their issues with utility and cost, as Go lacks 6dof tracking and Quest has a steeper price yet no ability to connect to a PC. That said I'm not sure how the inside-out tracking plays out compared to lighthouse tracking. Maybe it's possible to use both for better overall tracking?

My only fear is the price tag of this headset. HTC have historically priced their headset higher than the competitors, which gives those VR naysayers ammo to attack VR

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This certainly piques my interest. Not sure what virtualink connector means for those of us without RTX cards though. Side cameras seem like an obvious massive upgrade for inside out tracking, especially regarding the controllers.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Do you think functionality will be exclusive to HTC's smartphones? It would be nice if iPhone users could eventually have a mobile VR solution

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Cool, early on when VR was starting up I had hoped that there would be a mobile+PC compatible headset, like having Gear VR (the one that worked with Samsung phones) that could hook up to your PC and use it there.

This actually sounds better since it's fully wireless. Not sure how that would work with phones though, I'd guess you'd need to plug those in directly since no I doubt Bluetooth would be able to transfer the necessary video and tracking data.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
VR is a mess with all of the competing products and confusion over which is which.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why this isn't redundant with the focus
The north american version of the Focus is targeting enterprise/developers, and is a dedicated headset like the Quest, but with differing tracking+hardware characteristics.

The Cosmos headset is a PCVR headset first and foremost that trades lighthouse tracking for inside out, while bringing the tracking up to speed with what Quest is doing. They're hinting at compatibility with mobile devices, but the teaser video really isn't very clear, and that sucks.

In between, HTC has a platform called Vive Wave, where its licencing its technology to other companies (like what Valve did with Steam VR/Lighthouse) so they can develop dedicated headsets within a mobile focused ecosystem of HTC's making. One of these is called Shadow VR, and there are apparently 15 other partners involved.
VR is a mess with all of the competing products and confusion over which is which.
It's a lot of reading about brand new high end tech, and in regards to the Cosmos specifically, HTC's not being very clear about its full capabilities. The platforms themselves aren't a mess at all, considering that each has different specifications/needs. It's like the differences between PC gaming, console gaming, handheld gaming, mobile gaming - if you don't follow any very closely, of course you might not know what's going on. Recently, it took me a week to figure out the differences between Ryzen and Threadripper cpus, their boards, how they handle memory, and how a PC build focused around multi card gpu rendering+gaming that would compare to something from the intel mainstream coffee lake/skylake-X camp. Pretty overwhelming for someone like me who's been a stalwart intel/nvidia user for a long time.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Engadget is saying that it is not a standalone VR. It require a smartphone if you want to use it on the go

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in for multiple options, but they are going to need really solid straightforward marketing and messaging to not confuse and scare away consumers with a million options.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Used my oculus rift for a month or two, barely use anymore. I've used my gear vr way more, hate being tied to pc by wires.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh. I'm not convinced they can do reliable controller tracking like this (the WMR headsets demonstrate the main flaw of camera-based inside-out tracking, and even with more cameras there's gonna be major blind spots), and the controller isn't the Knuckles (though the extra pair of shoulder buttons is nice). Between this and the Pro Eye likely being prohibitively expensive for consumers, I'm just gonna wait for Valve's headset. Wireless is nice, but I'd rather have fully-reliable tracking first and foremost.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
This is basically everything I want from a VR headset. Seated experiences are my jam so one cable (and no more) doesn't bother me in the slightest. Flip-up visor and no external sensors to set up, ergonomic analog stick-based controllers, I'm assuming it'll have decent quality OLED screens and lenses unlike the cheaper WMRs (Odyssey is not available in Spain unfortunately), improved inside-out tracking FOV with the extra cameras...

They really hit absolutely every checkbox for me except the price. If this is 400 euros or less I'll jump on it immediately unless competitors pop up near its launch timeframe.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of tetherable VR device that can translate like that. A lot of value if it's priced Right.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
slightly more information released -- HTC calls this an "expandable VR system," sort of like the original vive where lots of individual components can be replaced, kind of like not having to buy an entirely new PC every time you want to upgrade your motherboard. They clarified that it is "tethered initially," meaning out of the box, you need to tether it to a PC (probably using usb-c), but that users can "expand" the headset to work as a mobile VR headset sorta like gearVR where it pairs with your phone. Similarly, there will be wireless adapters for it, just like the original vive pro.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
slightly more information released -- HTC calls this an "expandable VR system," sort of like the original vive where lots of individual components can be replaced, kind of like not having to buy an entirely new PC every time you want to upgrade your motherboard. They clarified that it is "tethered initially," meaning out of the box, you need to tether it to a PC (probably using usb-c), but that users can "expand" the headset to work as a mobile VR headset sorta like gearVR where it pairs with your phone. Similarly, there will be wireless adapters for it, just like the original vive pro.
Well, that's a lot less exciting since wireless is separate and it's what, $300 for the Pro?

The concept is interesting but need more info and also it probably worth waiting to see what's going on with Valve.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Is this wireless?

They never show the wire but my assumption is that this would ideally be paired with the official wireless adapter hooked to the PC?

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
What we know:
It's a wired PCVR headset with inside-out tracking.

What HTC promises:
Modular add-ons (wireless?)
Connection to non-PC devices (phones, tablets?)

When will we know more about HTC's longterm promises?
It could be days, weeks, even months.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
What we know:

What HTC promises:

Well yeah I would imagine the wireless adapter they are going to sell for the original Vive will be compatible with their other headsets right? (The Vive Pro EYE and Cosmos)

Weird we dont have any other details outside that it doesnt require lighthouses

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What we know:

What HTC promises:

I think we will hear more in the second half of 2019. Oculus Quest is coming few months later, and I believe Vive Pro Eye is scheduled for Q2 2019 launch. They will want to delay Cosmos' release few months later for some breathing space for the releases

Oct 25, 2017
New Smartphone-tethered Qualcomm Headset Has 2x the Pixels of Vive Pro

The Crux of this article: the author believes that the HTC Cosmos is built on top of a new Qualcomm VR headset reference design, one shared with headsets like the ACER OJO (technically, what the author saw was a new unannounced prototype of the Acer OJO)

The Highlights:
  • 2160 x 2160 screens (per eye!) running at 90hz
  • FOV could be from 85 - 100 degrees
  • The smartphone part:
The Qualcomm reference headset was plugged into a Qualcomm MTP-8150 (an early hardware test kit) based on Snapdragon 855 with 5G hardware built in. The device was powering the headset, rendering the content, and handling the processing necessary for the optical 6DOF tracking. Qualcomm had a local 5G network set up which was streaming volumetric video content from NextVR (which looked really impressive on the high res display) as a 5G proof of concept.

The MTP-8150 is like a reference device for a smartphone, except before all the hardware has been compacted into a sleek form-factor. Phone makers use MTPs to test hardware while designing news phones.

So for Cosmos, the play ahead of HTC very much seems like the company plans to launch a new phone—probably built on Snapdragon 855 and including 5G—that will be compatible with Vive Cosmos. That would explain why HTC wasn't ready to talk about the headset's smartphone compatibility—because they've yet to announce the phone that will power it.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
New Smartphone-tethered Qualcomm Headset Has 2x the Pixels of Vive Pro

The Crux of this article: the author believes that the HTC Cosmos is built on top of a new Qualcomm VR headset reference design, one shared with headsets like the ACER OJO (technically, what the author saw was a new unannounced prototype of the Acer OJO)

The Highlights:
  • 2160 x 2160 screens (per eye!) running at 90hz
  • FOV could be from 85 - 100 degrees
  • The smartphone part:

Thats great news for the future of Standalone devices as well!

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Tried this headset at an event yesterday, maybe it was just because the demos were boring, but this headset was quite underwhelming. Didn't notice much of a difference compared to Oculus.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Tethered eh? Should just get a Rift S in that case.
Still looking forward to hybrid HMD's that have both onboard processing and 60ghz antenna so they can easily do standalone gaming + wireless PC VR gaming (without having to transmit the data from 4~6 tracking cameras).