• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just breaking at CES

20190107210707_469493.jpeg

This explains the partnership with Nvidia for the GPU-accelerated foveated rendering announced earlier by Nvidia.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
From what I've read about the potential performance gains with foveated rendering, this would create a MASSIVE performance jump for VR. Like multiple generational leaps in one go.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
About damn time. The sooner the better on foveated rendering. Now give us muuuch better custom lenses + more comfortable HMDs please, thanks.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I've read about the potential performance gains with foveated rendering, this would create a MASSIVE performance jump for VR. Like multiple generational leaps in one go.

Foveated Rendering, taken to its extreme, could offer the single best discernable resolution for a display, ever. The big problem with increasing display clarity has been pushing raw number of pixels to fill said screen, even today's super GPUs struggle. Foveated rendering solves this. This is a type of tech that could, in theory, make VR and AR headsets infinitely clearer than any television.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Copying over my post from the locked thread:
In addition to foveated rendering, they're talking about user research and analytics (tracking what people are looking at)
Totally expected, but still...

also as expected lots of focus on enterprise use, most partners they've mentioned have been enterpriselevel.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This is excellent news. The narrow focus area on the Vive was so noticeable that at first I thought my headset was faulty or my eyes were going.

Oct 25, 2017
An actual product doing foveated rendering is great news for VR. I'd like to have one, but I don't have or want an RTX card. I also will not be buying another HTC product unless their support gets a lot better.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I thought we were still 3-4 years off from this tech at the consumer level. How much is this gonna cost? This is huge for VR

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Foveated rendering will be important, but I'm interested in what eye tracking can also bring in the future. Current VR headsets all have the same focus distance since you are still looking at a flat screen. With eye tracking, the next step would be to solve the Vergence-Accommodation Conflict and adjust the lenses focus per eye depending on what you are looking at.

Now bring 16k headsets!

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Foveated Rendering, taken to its extreme, could offer the single best discernable resolution for a display, ever. The big problem with increasing display clarity has been pushing raw number of pixels to fill said screen, even today's super GPUs struggle. Foveated rendering solves this. This is a type of tech that could, in theory, make VR and AR headsets infinitely clearer than any television.

You all are making me drool right now. I have an HTC Vive and love it to death but imagining the upgrade Foveated rendering would bring is getting me hyped as hell. Oh, and those knuckles controllers need to drop soon too lol.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Before we jump up and down about foveated rendering too much, lets see how well it's implemented, what size the foveated area is, how they've handled the diffusion of the peripheral, and if it's driver level support or needs to be added to game engines.

lots of questions.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Foveated Rendering already? Good Lord, we're getting there! Include the Knuckle controllers and give me a price and I am there.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, really important step here

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Eye tracking and foveated rendering is still a few years away for consumers. It's a 2021/2022 technology. This is for enterprise only and will be a very steep price.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
omg omg omg

Doing analytics on my eye movements is a total deal breaker for me.
If I buy this expensive hardware it better not track me..

In theory I'd even be open to enabling anonymous data to be collected, in certain applications, by my choosing. I think it's kind of interesting to think what kinds of benign results that could lead to.

Constantly having my eyes tracked without my really having a choice is otherwise creepy as fuck of course. But if you're going to go ahead and strap Babylon to your face, then I guess it leads where it leads ...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
"At a 2019 CES press conference today, Vive GM of the Americas Dan O'Brien announced Vive Pro Eye, a native eye-tracking solution for the Vive Pro platform that enables the headset to offer foveated rendering.

The solution will be usable in games, enable gaze-assisted menu navigation"

Want.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for this. But I was really hoping for an announcement/release window for the knuckles. Nothing?

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
RTX GPUs specifically support foveated rendering for these headsets, announced on stage.
They have variable shading support - it'd be odd to say they 'don't' have support for it.
But to be fair AMD has multi-resolution render-targets which can do the same job pretty well too.

Anyway I'm tentatively interested - Vive has the worst comfort rating of any headset I've tried - but if this comes with sufficiently high-resolution screen I may be willing to put up with it.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This much is certainly true. Oculus are able to render 1/20th the pixels, and eventually this would be used to only sample 1/20th of rays in a raytracing pipeline.

Altogether, VR is going to produce the best graphics, highest framerates, and highest resolutions. It'll be a slow transition though.

May 26, 2018
Copying over my post from the locked thread:

Totally expected, but still...

Ugh. And with that my interest in foveated rendering has utterly dissipated. Its primary interest to companies is as biological spyware. Of course it is. Because we have scant laws on 21st century privacy.

See you guys in my rock and roll non-VR utopia, underwater.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
"At a 2019 CES press conference today, Vive GM of the Americas Dan O'Brien announced Vive Pro Eye, a native eye-tracking solution for the Vive Pro platform that enables the headset to offer foveated rendering.

The solution will be usable in games, enable gaze-assisted menu navigation"

Want.

This an add-on for the Vive Pro or an entirely new HMD? (link doesn't work?)

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I wonder if the Pimax 5k / 8k headset could do foveated rendering. The requirements on the eye tracking are surely higher than eye tracking to select something / move a mouse cursor.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the Pimax 5k / 8k headset could do foveated rendering. The requirements on the eye tracking are surely higher than eye tracking to select something / move a mouse cursor.

Pimax promised eye-tracking modules for backers, though no info on it since the kickstarter iirc, I'd be surprised if the tracking will be good enough for foveated rendering though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I totally understand why this would be necessary (and of course the two things aren't mutually exclusive), but it's still funny to me that foveated rendering is pitched as a way to improve VR performance but also you're going to need the latest RTX silicon from Nvidia just to use it.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
and I don't see what RTX could have hardware wise that would make them exclusive
As I said above - variable rate shading. It's not that you 'can't' do foveation any other way - people have done demos of it in the previous decade GPUs - but hw-support won't hurt. Also I'm less interested in lowering the hw floor and more in a higher-res display - if this is just Vive Pro display that can run on lower-end HW - I'm out.