Nov 2, 2017
Reminds of me of the Robert Evans podcast It Could Happen Here where he talks about how easily a small insurgency inside the US could do unbelievable amounts of damage to infrastructure to cripple normal life within large swaths of the country.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Conspiracy but Israel and Saudi Arabia are dying to start a war with Iran.

This seems like a good way to go about that.
You think SA blew up or halted half of it's oil output to go to war with Iran? This conspiracy is beyond idiotic.

Oct 26, 2017
Houthis found SA's weakspot. Halting half of their oil production is a pretty good way of hurting them. Have Saudi not fixed their patriot missile systems? Houthis damaged radar relays for them with drones, basically MGSV.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Everything will be back up and running shortly. This will be another blip on the radar.
This. Can Era ever not freak out about stuff? I mean, people running out of there homes here to go get gas because 5% of oil is temporally disrupted - seriously? lol

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I read a news story like a week ago that the saudi government were not happy how cheap a barrel of oil was on the world market... so now the price will go up , right?

interesting how things turn out.
This is not to their benefit. It would be more to their benefit if another country's oil production was halved.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I see the stock market price of oil rising Monday but the overall market will be down. This is going to wreck transportation of goods. This will effect a lot of companies negatively.

I work in the foods buying dept for the biggest supermarket chain in Africa

Every time the price of oil spikes there are massive increases in the price of food, due to transport costs

The economy is going to be even more fucked than it currently is

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
It's only 5% of the global output, and it will likely be back up to normal shortly. This is little more than a blip.

Do you realize how much oil 5% of global output actually is? This is 5 million bbls/day. Optimistically, we are at a 500,000 bbls/day surplus but with the recent drawdowns in the last 4 weeks, we're probably at a deficit (although a surplus is predicted for 2020). Depending on how long it takes to restore production, this is a highly significant event. You might be right that this is no big deal, but I wouldn't count on it. Oil prices are definitely going up around 20% in the near-term.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully nobody was killed. Also, better if they don't go back online. The world needs to stop burning fossil fuels or else much bigger problems arise.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
People are worrying way too much about what this is going to do to gas prices. Half of SA output is only 5% of global output. It's nothing. Gas may go up 10-20 cents for a week or so.
i mean, there is what the event will actually do to prices, and then there is what speculators trying to make money trying to hype the shit up like Robert Edward Orville Speedwagon at a Gordon Lightfoot concert "OHH MY GODDD" will do.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Do you realize how much oil 5% of global output actually is? This is 5 million bbls/day. Optimistically, we are at a 500,000 bbls/day surplus but with the recent drawdowns in the last 4 weeks, we're probably at a deficit (although a surplus is predicted for 2020). Depending on how long it takes to restore production, this is a highly significant event. You might be right that this is no big deal, but I wouldn't count on it. Oil prices are definitely going up around 20% in the near-term.
5% is 5%. Oil going up 20% in response makes zero sense. Even factoring in a likely overreaction, that still is way too much.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why did two buildings across the world cause a war with Iraq?

ok, so you're telling me Saudi Arabia is going to launch a war against Iran, a war it has zero means to actually wage?

Or are you telling me that the US is going to start a war with Iran a week after Bolton was thrown out of the WH for being a warhawk and conflicting with Trumps chaotic isolationist/dictator friendly foreign policy?

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ok, so you're telling me Saudi Arabia is going to launch a war against Iran, a war it has zero means to actually wage?

Or are you telling me that the US is going to start a war with Iran a week after Bolton was thrown out of the WH for being a warhawk and conflicting with Trumps chaotic isolationist/dictator friendly foreign policy?

Trump has no love for Iran and has verbally threatened Iran I believe. I believe Bolton was kicked out for telling Trump how ridiculous it would be to have the Taliban over for some beer pong during the week of 9/11.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
The civilian casualties caused by Trump's drone strikes thank you for your defense of him.

Jesus Christ, nobody is defending him or his strikes. Can we argue this is good faith? .

And claiming drone strikes are not in the realm of interventionism is fucking batshit.

Fair enough, but targeting terrorists with horrible civilian casualties doesn't get the same kind of headlines as targeting military assets does it?

Like or not image is everything, especially to Trump.

I though we were arguing about the likelihood of a war with Iran over these drone attacks anyways?

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
5% is 5%. Oil going up 20% in response makes zero sense. Even factoring in a likely overreaction, that still is way too much.

I hope you're right, but oil has been insanely volatile the last few years. Hell, oil went up 4% in one day last Monday after some decent data came out of the Chinese service sector. It then promptly fell about 7% after John Bolton resigned. I consider this event greater than those two. Could be wrong of course.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the last god damn time it's about fucking image and headlines! I never once justified drone strikes.
you're saying trump won't go to war with iran because he's anti-interventionist, which is clearly wrong just going by the number of american military strikes going up drastically since obama left office. it doesn't matter to the dead whether the bomb that hit them came from a conventional bomber or a drone piloted by some asshole outside las vegas, and that distinction wouldn't keep iran from blowing up half the arabian peninsula with ballistic missiles if we started droning them.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the way markets work and how dumb most investors are I would fully expect a short term pump of oil prices with gas companies using it as an excuse to raise prices even through they don't need to.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Honestly I'm surprised we haven't seen a similar large scale attack done with small drones like this before. Remove all discussion of the geopolitics of it all and whatever and focus purely on tactical achievement, and this was an incredibley effective and precise attack.

These drones are small, mass producable, incredibly cheap for potential damage output, simple to use and hide, can perform incredibly complex maneuvers and more.

They are a godsend for cheap insurgency armies.

scary how much damage you can cause with relatively simple and cheap weapons, with low risk to your own safety..

the future looks pretty dark.

These things have the potential to change the face or urban warfare. Instead of IED's, imagine one of these just popping out of a window and dropping a bomb on a convoy of soldiers. There's almost no surefre defense against that.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These drones are small, mass producable, incredibly cheap for potential damage output, simple to use and hide, can perform incredibly complex maneuvers and more.

They are a godsend for cheap insurgency armies.

These things have the potential to change the face or urban warfare. Instead of IED's, imagine one of these just popping out of a window and dropping a bomb on a convoy of soldiers. There's almost no surefre defense against that.
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a drone. Drones for everyone.

Drones will probably do to urban warfare what aircraft did to land warfare.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a drone. Drones for everyone.

Drones will probably do to urban warfare what aircraft did to land warfare.

The potential really is insane.

You can strap anything to it and make a whole host of weapons or explosives way more effective in a way that modern fighting forces aren't capable of handling.

I mean, looks at this thing! This is a real prototype that exists:

EZ33UIU6V5FSXFJE354ED734TY.gif

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
The potential really is insane.

You can strap anything to it and make a whole host of weapons or explosives way more effective in a way that modern fighting forces aren't capable of handling.

I mean, looks at this thing! This is a real prototype that exists:

EZ33UIU6V5FSXFJE354ED734TY.gif

Is that a drone AT4?