HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
Link
Rejoice in the thrills of exploration and discovery with this bundle of Metroidvania games, featuring some of the genre's most exceptional recent entries. In the critically acclaimed 9 Years of Shadows, you'll explore a stunning, handcrafted world that's been drained of all color while wielding amazing powers and taking in a star-studded soundtrack. Lose yourself in the sprawling alien world of Axiom Verge 2, the boundary-pushing sequel to the fan-favorite sci-fi game (that's also included in this bundle!). Experience the genre at its most subversive in Cookie Cutter, full of dark humor, brutal combat, and some of the finest hand-drawn art the genre has ever seen. Get all these games and more—7 in total—and help support the Global Foodbanking Network with your purchase.

Sorry I'm on mobile so I'm not able to flesh out the post.

$14 for 7 games
Axiom verge 1 & 2,
9 years of shadows
Cookie cutter
Ghost song
Deaths gambit afterlife + I think coupon for the dlc
The knight witch

There's a $6 tier as well.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on the lesser known games. I don't own any of these

Oct 26, 2017
Is it even legal for Humble to use the Metroid name like that? Folks use it as a fan term, sure but this feels more official.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Are all of them Steam keys? I wouldn't want to find myself with an Axion Verge 2 EGS key.

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
Hmm… Ghost Song and 9 Years of Shadows have been on my wishlist forever. And I never got around to Axiom Verge 2. Might be worth it.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
If Adobe failed making "The image was enhanced using Adobe® Photoshop® software" a thing over "Photoshopped", I can't imagine that Nintendo would win the war against Metroidvania.

That said, The Besties podcast has pushed the phrase "Search Action" game, which I like.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Adobe failed making "The image was enhanced using Adobe® Photoshop® software" a thing over "Photoshopped", I can't imagine that Nintendo would win the war against Metroidvania.

That said, The Besties podcast has pushed the phrase "Search Action" game, which I like.

Even if they could, they wouldn't want to.

I know some of you think Nintendo is the demon for everything, but they're not going to throw away everyone the mind share that comes with thinking of their IP every time any game in an entire genre is mentioned.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
How is cookie cutter?, that and the knight witch are what might push me to get the bundle.

One of my favorite indie game from last year. It doesn't do anything special in terms of gameplay, but it has a unique atmosphere, not unnecessarily long and I think it's simply beautiful. In its own bloody and violent way. : ]

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Even if they could, they wouldn't want to.

I know some of you think Nintendo is the demon for everything, but they're not going to throw away everyone the mind share that comes with thinking of their IP every time any game in an entire genre is mentioned.
Nintendo even use the term themselves. They've run articles in the Switch news section about metroidvania games available on the eshop

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Good Bundle

Sadly I have everything but Cookie Cutter & The Knight Witch. I did not like The Knight Witch Demo,, bullet hell andd deck building wasn't interesting to me. Very nice looking game though.

9 Years of Shadows is stuck at 50hz so it constantly stutters on a 60hz display. So haven't bothered playing since I bought it. Haven't tried on Steam Deck dunno if you can get it running better there or not.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1402120/discussions/0/3825284962833043950/

j_z

Feb 14, 2019
Wait, what's this about?

He was banned for calling Will Smith an animal that should be caged after the infamous Oscars slap

www.resetera.com

Will Smith resigns from the Academy

What Chris Rock didn't tell anyone to attack Will or Jada. It's just a bad joke that was insulting. You don't attack someone for being insulting. I so frequently can't believe what I'm hearing here. We put animals in cages because they can't control themselves. If you can't control yourself...

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing bundle for me. All but one of these were in my wishlist (because I already own it).

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
www.resetera.com

Will Smith resigns from the Academy

What Chris Rock didn't tell anyone to attack Will or Jada. It's just a bad joke that was insulting. You don't attack someone for being insulting. I so frequently can't believe what I'm hearing here. We put animals in cages because they can't control themselves. If you can't control yourself...

Oh, yikes. The banned poster is the dev?

Didn't realize it was something that actually happened on Era.

j_z

Feb 14, 2019
Oh, yikes. The banned poster is the dev?

Didn't realize it was something that actually happened on Era.

Yes, that is the dev. My bad, I linked below where people were talking about:

www.resetera.com

Ghost Song |OT| A Journey of Hope OT

What happened to the developer who made this, like as a poster? Does he still post here? Permabanned due to implying Will Smith should be put in a cage like an animal after the slap incident. https://www.resetera.com/threads/will-smith-resigns-from-the-academy.568708/page-12#post-84594238

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't own any of these, and I like Metroidvanias. Bought.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, does that matter exactly?

(this is more of a general reply to all your posts before this one)

It does actually, because trademark usage/infringement is entirely based around if most people consuming the media would genuinely be confused or not and is thus largely based around similar genres of media so how something is used in a purely gaming sense is really the end all be all here. An easy example is something like the video game Prey, which is trademarked (even though it's a common word), because there's a big difference between Prey (the term), Prey (the video game), Prey (the 2022 film), etc, and going off of context no one would really be confused, but another video game with a name like Prey coming out at around the same time WOULD cause an issue (and did! Prey for the Gods changed its name to Praey for the Gods avoid said potential issue in court)

The thing about metroidvania is, much like roguelike and roguelite which are also genre names built off of another game's name (albeit metroidvania is 2 different games names, but could still easily be used as examples of other genres similar like this in court), it implicitly isn't confusing to anyone who actively pays attention to video games that a metroidvania isn't necessarily a Metroid game nor a Castlevania game but purely used as a descriptor that the genre is similar to them, so using Metroidvania in that way isn't infringing on anything because if someone describes their game as a Metroidvania practically no one is going to think the game is literally Metroid or literally Castlevania.

There might have been a case for it if either party went after someone using the term like, immediately, but it's become so ubiquitous at this point after years upon years of usage (it's been a thing since what, the early 2000s?) that there's basically no standing against it.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
9 Years of Shadows is stuck at 50hz so it constantly stutters on a 60hz display. So haven't bothered playing since I bought it. Haven't tried on Steam Deck dunno if you can get it running better there or not.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1402120/discussions/0/3825284962833043950/

Thanks for the heads up! Ugh, it's maddening how often this happens with Unity games

Thankfully, you can at least set the Steam Deck to 50Hz, so that should help with consistency 🙂

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Not sure where else to ask, but has anyone had experience with their comic bundles? There's a Doctor Who bundle and I'm curious if the CBZ files are of decent quality.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Ghost Song and 9 Years of Shadows are both excellent.