• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I have done those training missions and it's pretty fun and tense. I can see the appeal - still I would have to plly solo or with randoms, not sure that's the optimal way?

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite multiplayer games. It's kinda like Escape From Tarkov-lite. A more arcadey and accessible take on the sub-genre.

I also love how it rewards aiming skill too since it's not a "spray and pray" game. Single-fire guns and every shot counts.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
EQ_KHnUWoAUEbSV

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
Love this game just downloading the update to my xboxes. Have it on PC too. Wish more of my friends would give it a shot though, they are all stuck into modern warfare though.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
EU servers are up if you have an early copy. You can watch some streams too

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Game looks pretty bad compared to the PC version but atleast the fps seems stable 30.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I`ve played a couple of matches on PS4 Pro yesterday. Finding teammates was super quick most of the time, atlthough the game wasn`t officially out yet and a guy from Crytek wrote on twitter that servers wouldn`t be online until today. Matchmaking however took some time.

My thoughts so far: the game is tough but I`m enjoying it. I love the concept of hunting/being hunted, the game feels like the most intense moments from R6 Siege, The Division`s Dark Zone, and PUBG/COD Blackout combined but in a relatively fresh setting. The game oozes with atmosphere and style, it`s atmospheric even when managing stuff in the menues, lol. However, doing so isn`t particulary fun (at least on PS4 Pro) because the cursor is freaking slow. Controls in general aren`t great, everthing feels a little bit sluggisch. Maybe it`s just because of 30 FPS but it feels like there`s an noticable input lag. At least performance is quite stable.
So the PS4 port is fine but there`s definitely room for improvements.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I tried the game on PC with locked 30 fps but this 30 fps on the Pro feels way better. Gfx is not that bad, LoD is pretty close and the lack of AF is pretty ugly but its a decent looking game on console. Already got 2 kills on my first run. Feels good to play againts controller players vs on PC

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
What's the gameplay-loop in this? What are the permanent things you keep when your hunter dies?

I'd be willing to buy this on the PS4, but I will suck at pvp and I need to know what the loop is. :/

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
What's the gameplay-loop in this? What are the permanent things you keep when your hunter dies?

I'd be willing to buy this on the PS4, but I will suck at pvp and I need to know what the loop is. :/
The PvP is the main draw. The basic match would be, use your darksight to look for clues in any of the various named locations on the map (there are NPC enemies like zombies and hellhounds among others pretty much everywhere), then going to fight the boss once you've gotten 3 clues or have just stumbled upon it, and once you've killed it you have to wait for it to be banished (takes a few minutes), get the bounty and travel to an extraction point on the edge of the map.

However, this is all just a way for the game to get players to run into and ultimately fight each other, either while getting clues, fighting/banishing the boss, or when going to extract.

When your hunter dies, you don't keep anything but the money you earned with them and your bloodline XP. Everything on the hunter themselves dies with them.
You keep any weapon/tool/equipment unlocks though (unlocked as in the ability to buy them). Just not the specific tools the hunter had on them, they will need to be repurchased or even unlocked if you recruited one that had something you hadn't unlocked yet (or picked up something off of another player's corpse!).

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
When your hunter dies, you don't keep anything but t money you earned with them and your bloodline XP. Everything on the hunter themselves dies with them.
You keep any weapon/tool/equipment unlocks though (unlocked as in the ability to buy them). Just not the specific tools the hunter had on them, they will need to be repurchased or even unlocked if you recruited one that had something you hadn't unlocked yet (or picked up something off of another player's corpse!).

Which isn`t a big deal, imo. I was going in, expecting some crazy ass annoying perma death mechanic but fortunately there isn`t. You earn enough cash to buy new characters and gear, so loosing a character is basically just loosing a random skin, some coins and the time to reequip the stuff.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Which isn`t a big deal, imo. I was going in, expecting some crazy ass annoying perma death mechanic but fortunately there isn`t. You earn enough cash to buy new characters and gear, so loosing a character is basically just loosing a random skin, some coins and the time to reequip the stuff.

Yeah it's not that unforgiving. You lose a couple of weapons and some consumables/gadgets.

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much every gun in the game is useful to some extent, and the base level gear is so cheap that the bounty collected from just a couple of clue discoveries will easily cover a loadout. And this is on top of being able to recruit a FREE hunter every single round. More often than not, these free hunters will have at least half the gear you want, maybe even a full kit, so going into matches with enough to feel comfortable is easy and cheap.

Absolute baseline; buy a knife. Every single hunter should have the knife, minimum. Or the dusters. I prefer the knife due to the extra damage it does to armoured, which I find more common than incinerators. Knife should be your standard form of killing for zombies and armoured, and hives if you go in quick and aim for the head. Avoid dogs if you can as they chew through health quickly and travel in packs. Incinerators pack a punch and move quickly, but are easy to take down if you have dusters. Do NOT use any piercing weapons on them at close range or...whenever you can avoid it, really. When their skin is pierced (bullets, blades, etc) Incinerators will explode and then burn as they run to attack. You'll be on fire and they'll be hitting you, and the noise generated from the explosion will alert other players. On the other hand, you can set them off from a distance and, if they haven't seen you, they'll run around on fire until they burn out and die naturally. They're also good for trapping, on the off chance you spot another player trying to punch one to death. Shoot the incinerator.

But yeah, basic build prices are very low.
Romero 77 (long barrelled single shot shotgun) = $34
Springfield 1866 (single shot rifle) = $38
Winfield M1873C (repeater rifle) = $75

While weapon and ballistic types will absolutely offer some advantages depending on your play style, and cost a pretty penny to use regularly, the damage model of the game technically makes all weapons useful. A single shot to the head at medium range with the Springfield will instant kill no less than a fucking Nitro Express Rifle or Lebel bolt loading rifle. A nicely lined up close range blast from the Romero into someone's chest will obliterate them, just as a shotgun would. The cheapest pistol in the game is the Nagant M1895 at $24 will still kill any hunter with a single shot to the head at up to 58 meters.

Losing characters seems really intimidating at first, but it's not really. It's much more like (and I'm sorry for this comparison) Dark Souls, in that the threat of "losing all your souls" is trivial when you realise you're always equipped to take on a challenge. Hunt is the same. Sounds shitty to lose your expensive loadout and maybe have not enough money left to buy the gear again. And it is annoying. But you'll earn back that money quick enough, and the base level gear is still more than useful to clear up NPCs and take on Hunters.

Think less about having to give your hunter the best gear, and more about knowing what gear you do have and how to play to its strengths and weaknesses.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I thought 30 fps lock will be awful after i tried Hunt on PC with 30 fps lock, but its actually not that bad on console. Feels way better

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The game also gives out Blood Bonds, which is the premium currency. You can grind your way to buy the legendary skins/hunters - a nice departure from games that never let you earn premium currency outside of opening your wallet. (Accolades are earned every match, and you usually earn a dozen or so)

https://huntshowdown.gamepedia.com/Blood_Bonds

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
The game also gives out Blood Bonds, which is the premium currency. You can grind your way to buy the legendary skins/hunters - a nice departure from games that never let you earn premium currency outside of opening your wallet. (Accolades are earned every match, and you usually earn a dozen or so)

https://huntshowdown.gamepedia.com/Blood_Bonds

Also if you complete the 3 tutorial level you'll get like 800 points. I bought the game, completed the 3 tutorial and i have like 1100 blood bonds.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Does this run ok on a base PS4? I've been looking forward to it but wonder if I should wait for a next gen version.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much every gun in the game is useful to some extent, and the base level gear is so cheap that the bounty collected from just a couple of clue discoveries will easily cover a loadout. And this is on top of being able to recruit a FREE hunter every single round. More often than not, these free hunters will have at least half the gear you want, maybe even a full kit, so going into matches with enough to feel comfortable is easy and cheap.

Absolute baseline; buy a knife. Every single hunter should have the knife, minimum. Or the dusters. I prefer the knife due to the extra damage it does to armoured, which I find more common than incinerators. Knife should be your standard form of killing for zombies and armoured, and hives if you go in quick and aim for the head. Avoid dogs if you can as they chew through health quickly and travel in packs. Incinerators pack a punch and move quickly, but are easy to take down if you have dusters. Do NOT use any piercing weapons on them at close range or...whenever you can avoid it, really. When their skin is pierced (bullets, blades, etc) Incinerators will explode and then burn as they run to attack. You'll be on fire and they'll be hitting you, and the noise generated from the explosion will alert other players. On the other hand, you can set them off from a distance and, if they haven't seen you, they'll run around on fire until they burn out and die naturally. They're also good for trapping, on the off chance you spot another player trying to punch one to death. Shoot the incinerator.

But yeah, basic build prices are very low.
Romero 77 (long barrelled single shot shotgun) = $34
Springfield 1866 (single shot rifle) = $38
Winfield M1873C (repeater rifle) = $75

While weapon and ballistic types will absolutely offer some advantages depending on your play style, and cost a pretty penny to use regularly, the damage model of the game technically makes all weapons useful. A single shot to the head at medium range with the Springfield will instant kill no less than a fucking Nitro Express Rifle or Lebel bolt loading rifle. A nicely lined up close range blast from the Romero into someone's chest will obliterate them, just as a shotgun would. The cheapest pistol in the game is the Nagant M1895 at $24 will still kill any hunter with a single shot to the head at up to 58 meters.

Losing characters seems really intimidating at first, but it's not really. It's much more like (and I'm sorry for this comparison) Dark Souls, in that the threat of "losing all your souls" is trivial when you realise you're always equipped to take on a challenge. Hunt is the same. Sounds shitty to lose your expensive loadout and maybe have not enough money left to buy the gear again. And it is annoying. But you'll earn back that money quick enough, and the base level gear is still more than useful to clear up NPCs and take on Hunters.

Think less about having to give your hunter the best gear, and more about knowing what gear you do have and how to play to its strengths and weaknesses.

This is really useful, thanks.

Also to add to this, and ask another question - it appears you keep whatever gear you win in a Quickplay round (the one where you have to collect souls or wellsprings or somesuch rather than hunt a bounty) and you keep the hunter you won with; I won a round of that and the hunter I used was available for use and all the gear I had collected during that round. I haven't checked yet but is that gear transferrable between hunters, assuming they have the same slots? So for example I finished that round with an exploding crossbow which I've been using in bounty hunt when using that hunter. Crossbow is a long weapon, can I then recruit another hunter with the long weapon slot and give him/her the crossbow?

Presumably if they die with that crossbow on them it's gone forever, or at least until I level a hunter up sufficiently to have the crossbow unlock in the store and then buy another? Not that it's actually that great a weapon, it doesn't seem to do as much damage to hunters as I thought.

Also it sounds like when you reach level 25 on a hunter you can retire them and their gear becomes available to all?

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Game is kinda fun, bought it 2 weeks ago. But it's really hard to get someone to play using random player search. As soon as everyone sees a lvl 10 they just bail.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
This is really useful, thanks.

Also to add to this, and ask another question - it appears you keep whatever gear you win in a Quickplay round (the one where you have to collect souls or wellsprings or somesuch rather than hunt a bounty) and you keep the hunter you won with; I won a round of that and the hunter I used was available for use and all the gear I had collected during that round. I haven't checked yet but is that gear transferrable between hunters, assuming they have the same slots? So for example I finished that round with an exploding crossbow which I've been using in bounty hunt when using that hunter. Crossbow is a long weapon, can I then recruit another hunter with the long weapon slot and give him/her the crossbow?

Presumably if they die with that crossbow on them it's gone forever, or at least until I level a hunter up sufficiently to have the crossbow unlock in the store and then buy another? Not that it's actually that great a weapon, it doesn't seem to do as much damage to hunters as I thought.

Also it sounds like when you reach level 25 on a hunter you can retire them and their gear becomes available to all?
All gear is independent of the hunter that bought it. You can unequip anything, and it goes into your bloodline (I.e. Your overall account) stash. You can then put that gear on a new hunter as you see fit, trash it, or sell it. Can't sell if it's contraband though (the red icon on the gear).

All hunters have the same basic equip slots. You can always equip either one long and one small, two mediums, one medium and one small, or two small weapons. If the hunter has the perk "Quartermaster", then you can equip one long and one medium as well.

If the hunter is already carrying two medium weapons, you'll have to unequip both before you can equip a long weapon (and the other slot will auto switch down to a small)

And yeah, as soon as a hunter reaches 25 (or higher), you can choose to retire them. This dumps their individual hunter exp into your main bloodline exp pool. All the gear they had is put back into your stash, so you don't lose it. If you don't mind losing the hunter, you can do this to level your bloodline faster, to unlock weapons, higher tier hunters, or just to grind prestige levels.

Oct 27, 2017
All gear is independent of the hunter that bought it. You can unequip anything, and it goes into your bloodline (I.e. Your overall account) stash. You can then put that gear on a new hunter as you see fit, trash it, or sell it. Can't sell if it's contraband though (the red icon on the gear).

All hunters have the same basic equip slots. You can always equip either one long and one small, two mediums, one medium and one small, or two small weapons. If the hunter has the perk "Quartermaster", then you can equip one long and one medium as well.

If the hunter is already carrying two medium weapons, you'll have to unequip both before you can equip a long weapon (and the other slot will auto switch down to a small)

And yeah, as soon as a hunter reaches 25 (or higher), you can choose to retire them. This dumps their individual hunter exp into your main bloodline exp pool. All the gear they had is put back into your stash, so you don't lose it. If you don't mind losing the hunter, you can do this to level your bloodline faster, to unlock weapons, higher tier hunters, or just to grind prestige levels.

Awesome thanks. Looking forward to seeing how much gear I can lose tonight, aha.

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks pretty bad compared to the PC version but atleast the fps seems stable 30.

It does in comparison to the PC version (which looks amaaaaazing from what I've seen), but if you're used to console level visuals, I think it actually looks really rather good. It's incredibly atmospheric and the locations all feel like actual places. The texture work, lighting, reflections etc and the various effects all seem high quality.

The one thing that bugs me at the moment is dead monsters just wink out of existence. Looks really cheap, be nice if they added some sort of "dissolve into the ground" effect at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Just extracted my first tokens as a team of 3 (me and some randoms). Holy shit, that was tense. Leaving the lair, making a break for the extraction, a bullet whizzes over my head and hits the side of a house, no idea who was shooting but we made it.

This game is so good.

Edit; godamn, just had one of my all time online gaming moments. Team of me and the randoms again, dark night, took out the Butcher in his lair in the Brickworks I think it was, which was pretty frantic then we're sneak attacked by another team as we're banishing, one of my team is down, then the other guy is down, I take a shot at the enemy and wing him, then his mate comes in and lobs a Molotov and I have to run to the lower level, hide in the dark and stop the burning and heal, then the two guys come down and it becomes a sneaky game of tag in the dark as they hunt me, lobbing lanterns around as I'm desperately sneaking around on one bar of health. One of them has his light on so is easy to spot (graphically it was awesome all these realtime shadows), I catch him unawares with the shotgun, then duck back into the dark and loop round and catch his mate in the back as he is reviving his teammate. Both down and then the third guy comes down, doesn't spot me crouching in the corner so I beat a hasty retreat back upstairs, revive both my teammates, grab a couple of tokens and it's time to make a break for it, so we squeak out the window, but one guy stays behind, he presumably wants revenge but we have the tokens, it's time to leave. I add a frantic waypoint in the direction of the extract and start to move, super watchful. One guy comes with me, the guy with the other token stays behind. As me and my teammate head into the bayou there is a flurry of gunfire in the distance behind us as the presumably now revived team take out my third guy and nick his token. We left him behind, he should have come too.

My heart, holy shit. Pounding. This game is just amazing. And all this with matchmade randoms.

Edit 2;
Godammit. From the sublime.......New round, new random team.
- 10 seconds in and I'm shot in the back by my teammate as we take on some dogs. Downed and revived.
- 1 minute after that I'm sniped by someone as I pick up a clue. Downed and revived.
- literally 10 seconds after that I'm poisoned by a hive my teammate has attracted over. Then I'm sniped again by the same guy.

Round over, lasted all of 5 minutes and that's the end of that hunter who I was starting to get attached to.
-

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Edit 2;
Godammit. From the sublime.......New round, new random team.
- 10 seconds in and I'm shot in the back by my teammate as we take on some dogs. Downed and revived.
- 1 minute after that I'm sniped by someone as I pick up a clue. Downed and revived.
- literally 10 seconds after that I'm poisoned by a hive my teammate has attracted over. Then I'm sniped again by the same guy.

Round over, lasted all of 5 minutes and that's the end of that hunter who I was starting to get attached to.
-

I think as long as you're below Bloodline lvl 10, you won't lose your hunters upon death.

Oct 2, 2018
this is true.

btw the first two days when I bought it - my mate said "buy this game" and our first play session on PS4 was terrible.

We died so quickly and the way it ends. We're like this game FUCKING SUCKS

and then it also takes so long to load.... and it was just the game we fucking hated.

Then I watched some misc youtubes - understood the game a little, got that the map had more than 4 -6 players and we slowly got good at HSD.

play it every chance we have now. Fantastic game. great world. Super tense PVP fights. Nothing more satisfying than unloading a bornheim round into some camper.