• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've stuck by watching this in English.

The Chimera arc started okay. Obviously kids being eaten and transformed set the tone for yeah, it'll probably get gorier!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Chimera arc started okay. Obviously kids being eaten and transformed set the tone for yeah, it'll probably get gorier!

The Chimera Ant arc was what got the 2011 anime adaptation moved from a morning time slot meant for shows aimed at kids to a late night one aimed at adults to put things in perspective.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Because that's how it is intended. The names aren't Japanese - Leorio's last name is "Paladinknight". (And if you pop Silva into google translate, you get the "Siruba" Japanese spelling.)

The kids all have the naming pattern. Their dad and his brothers don't.

Yeah japanese it's hard, translation anything to another language can be tricky.
And Togashi clearly doesn't make easier on the translators with the crazy names that's for sure.

Yeah Togashi didn't fuck around with the beginning of Chimera Ant arc, he killed a bunch of people to make that point.

I was actually scared for my boy
Knuckle during the Youpi fight, when he was tricked i was like "NOOOOOOO"

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Pariston's nen ability is basically trolling people in some manner. It would be very fitting for the character. The more annoyed and pissed off at him you get, the stronger he becomes.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
I really hope Pariston's nen ability is basically trolling people in some manner. It would be very fitting for the character. The more annoyed and pissed off at him you get, the stronger he becomes.

Sounds hilarious. He's a three star Hunter for a reason, they should invent a fourth star just for his trollyness.

Oct 25, 2017
I want Pariston's ability to tie into what he said about loving to hurt what he loves. Maybe his ability is more effective if he can negatively impact himself?

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't think the Monkey its the spy that gonna help Beyond with his escape, its too simple and easy, im betting on the Ox. He looks too friendly with Kurapica.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. That would make him like a reverse-hate Hulk. The more Pariston is hated, the stronger he becomes. The man thrives on disgust.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol at Syarnorkl and Fulunki

We need more cobbled together databook names for later characters

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Not too mention Togashi's handle on the English language is uhh... poor at best. Most of his names look like he just stuck random letters together and called it a day. Then again that would explain the Royal Guards names.
While I agree that Togashi's alphabet spellings tend to be pretty damn weird, you don't need a good handle on the English language specifically to make imaginary names (and their alphabet spellings) up.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on the manga.

Wow it gets real exposition-y, huh.

Not enough Leorio! ;_;

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yea "official" names can be really strange, bordering on nonsense. Copied from a Reddit post:

Kurapika - Curarpikt
Chrollo Lucilfer - Quwrof Wrlccywrlir
Uvogin - Wbererguin
Shizuku - Chzzok
Pakunoda - Phalcnothdk
Machi - Matiy
Shalnark - Syarnorkl
Phinks - Phynkss
Feitan - Heytun
Franklin - Fulunki
Kortopi - Colhtophy
Bonolenov - Vonnornoth
Hisoka - Hyskoa
Kikyo - Kkkyau
Maha - Mahha
Illumi - Yellmi
Milluki - Myllki
Kalluto - Calltt
Zoldyck - Zaoldyck
Wtf

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Pissed everyone shitted on Leorio, when he fixed Kurapika's mess for not killing that one dude
Him feeling up the one woman was weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Cheadle hate the fuck out of him? Talking to her would be like his spirit bomb or something. I'm also convinced nobody would survive being in the middle of a Pariston and Shiapouf conversation.
Pissed everyone shitted on Leorio, when he fixed Kurapika's mess for not killing that one dude
Him feeling up the one woman was weird.
Leorio did not have his priorities in order. If Killua wasn't so OP they would have never made it passed that point.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought myself Vol 33 as a Christmas present. My weird crusade to insist Togashi loves Parasyte continues- I'm pretty sure a disembodied Migi basically makes a cameo in one of the first pages of Chapter 341.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HxH is a gigantic homage to other titles, if you think it's a reference, it probably is.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Cheadle takes Leorio under her wing during the arc as a continuing background plot and the latter ultimately goes on to do great things, we know that there's hardly any medical help on the boat, imagine how things will be when they actually get to the Continent of Darkness. I know she's science, and Leorio is medical but Nen is Nen. She obviously knows her shit too, aint a three star Hunter for nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Cheadle takes Leorio under her wing during the arc as a continuing background plot and the latter ultimately goes on to do great things, we know that there's hardly any medical help on the boat, imagine how things will be when they actually get to the Continent of Darkness. I know she's science, and Leorio is medical but Nen is Nen. She obviously knows her shit too, aint a three star Hunter for nothing.
I need to see Cheadle beat somebodies ass while dressed as a dog. Cheadle actually has my favorite female zodiac design. She's cute, but at the same time she's not overly sexualized.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Cheadle lacking in combat ability? I'm fairly sure Pariston calls her out on it during the election arc.

OP
OP

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Cheadle lacking in combat ability? I'm fairly sure Pariston calls her out on it during the election arc.
Lacking compared to the more combat/crime oriented Zodiacs, like Mizaistom, maybe but she's still a triple star hunter. One of the first things we learned in the hunter exam arc is not to underestimate the combat ability of non-combat specialized hunters.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lacking compared to the more combat/crime oriented Zodiacs, like Mizaistom, maybe but she's still a triple star hunter. One of the first things we learned in the hunter exam arc is not to underestimate the combat ability of non-combat specialized hunters.

Well no but considering she's called a Virus Hunter I'd assume her Nen ability is focused around containing viruses or something to do with them. She still very well could be dangerous but I don't think she's much of a fighter.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the Zodiacs spar with Netero i don't think Cheadle or any of them are gonna be weak in fighting power.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Since the last time I posted here, I saw the climax of Heaven's Arena and the entirety of Yorknew City. Hooooo Boy, where can I even begin. From the amazing soundtrack, to Kurapika's amazing resolve and scorched Earth use of Nen, this was an amazing piece of Anime. Chrollo reminds me a lot of a refined Sensui, and the YuYu Hakusho parallels that refer to it as a training ground for Togashi make a whole lot of sense now that I am witnessing it all. And its cool to see the Toguro(Hisoka) viewing him as an equal if not as someone inferior. I am also in an understanding that the Chimera Ant ark is even better then this. If so, holy fuck, can't wait.
Greed Island is also such a wtf moment, why would Ging create something so horribly regulated that can, and has, backfired? At least the EDs keep one upping the previous ones.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
York New is still to me the best arc in HxH.

Chrollo reminds me a lot of a refined Sensui, and the YuYu Hakusho parallels that refer to it as a training ground for Togashi make a whole lot of sense now that I am witnessing it all. And its cool to see the Toguro(Hisoka) viewing him as an equal if not as someone inferior.

Hisoka see's himself as superior to everyone, and that cockyness is gonna bite him in the ass.

Greed Island is also such a wtf moment, why would Ging create something so horribly regulated that can, and has, backfired? At least the EDs keep one upping the previous ones.

What do you mean "backfired"? Greed island is doing exactly what is supposed to do.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
York New is still to me the best arc in HxH.

Hisoka see's himself as superior to everyone, and that cockyness is gonna bite him in the ass.

What do you mean "backfired"? Greed island is doing exactly what is supposed to do.
I am only on ep 3 or so of the arc, where Biscuit is training em, so if I need to see more, just clarify it for me. Greed Island is a cool concept, and its working like it should be, but if the game is built so no one can get killed over a bunch of cards, then shouldn't there have been some sort of Nen Barrier or such? Especially so for evil asshats who would do such a thing, Killing should end up at a Game Over for the one who did so. Not to mention how there are only 100 copies, Baretta has like 50, and even with multitaps, how the hell are there so many players, and even those who go in and out. Like, leave shouldn't even be a card.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I am only on ep 3 or so of the arc, where Biscuit is training em, so if I need to see more, just clarify it for me. Greed Island is a cool concept, and its working like it should be, but if the game is built so no one can get killed over a bunch of cards, then shouldn't there have been some sort of Nen Barrier or such? Especially so for evil asshats who would do such a thing, Killing should end up at a Game Over for the one who did so. Not to mention how there are only 100 copies, Baretta has like 50, and even with multitaps, how the hell are there so many players, and even those who go in and out. Like, leave shouldn't even be a card.

You are still way too early, continue watching and it will all make sense. Let's just say without spoiling anything that its no as easy as you think. Also there are not a lot of people, most are just NPC.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Since the last time I posted here, I saw the climax of Heaven's Arena and the entirety of Yorknew City. Hooooo Boy, where can I even begin. From the amazing soundtrack, to Kurapika's amazing resolve and scorched Earth use of Nen, this was an amazing piece of Anime. Chrollo reminds me a lot of a refined Sensui, and the YuYu Hakusho parallels that refer to it as a training ground for Togashi make a whole lot of sense now that I am witnessing it all. And its cool to see the Toguro(Hisoka) viewing him as an equal if not as someone inferior. I am also in an understanding that the Chimera Ant ark is even better then this. If so, holy fuck, can't wait.
Friendly reminder that Ging Freecs is a fucking asshole. I have never thought of Chrollo as a refined Sensui, but I can see why you would think that. Chimera Ant Arc is my favorite arc. It's long as fuck, but the feels and weight of the actions are legit.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Heys guys just started YYH anime do you mind if i comment on episodes in here? It's all part of the Togashi work so it feel's more appropriate.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Enjoy the best god damn soundtrack in Anime while you can. Nothing else can compare to it, assuming this is your first time.

Not going to spoil the later music, and this comes along pretty frequently. But by god it can never get old, even if there is no official release, with some of the heavier instrumentation of the later eps.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My main complaint is HOW THE FUCK is an iconic track like that still unreleased? I hope the new Blu Ray coming next year fixes that injustice.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
My main complaint is HOW THE FUCK is an iconic track like that still unreleased? I hope the new Blu Ray coming next year fixes that injustice.
YYH in general has a lot of iconic songs with no release. Yeah it fucking sucks, and its one of the few OSTs I would buy complete in a heartbeat, no questions asked. I would think with the new anime coming up along with the 25th Anniversary things will change. Hopefully.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah music so far is great, that japanese opening is so catchy, got it stuck on my head it's so good.

Just be mindful of the spoilers here.

It's fine since i know some of the parts of characters and backstory just by people talking about it over the years (some of Raizen/Yusuke and Fox/Kurama), but most of the fights i know almost nothing (except 1 or 2 small youtube clips from Hiei). If i had to guess the muscle guy Toguro vs Yusuke is probably gonna be hype since people always talk about that, looking forward to finally seeing it.

Enjoy the gift that is Kuwabara.

I already am, the whole sequence with his possession, the girl gropping (the japanese voice when that happens killed me) and then the hugging at the end only to get slapped had me laughing very hard.
Yusuke what a pervert and a straight up punk, think of dirty ways (kick in the balls) to beat up the Enma the King of Hell.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, my bad. I misread and thought you were talking about HxH lol.

But yeah, share your thoughts on Yu Yu. Love that manga/anime.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Vol 33. I spent all of Chimera Ants missing the cool Kurapika mafia shit and then they introduce the 14 Princes... don't know how y'all can stand the wait for this series lol

Heys guys just started YYH anime do you mind if i comment on episodes in here? It's all part of the Togashi work so it feel's more appropriate.
Me too! I looooove the visuals. Dub is so good too.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
You aren't watching YYH in English????
I never got the love people have for dubs. Yeah its convenient to hear it in your own language, watching Anime Subs only requires sooooo much reading, but I dunno, I feel like the original voices should be heard at least once, and its how it was intended to be viewed. And this isn't just for Anime, any foreign media I consume is always going to be with subs.