• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...strict gun control laws are implemented ever?

Do you guys believe they would go that far to "prove" that gun laws don't work? I know this is a sensitive topic and question I'm asking, but I'm honestly curious about such a possibility.

If mods believe this is not an apt thread to make, please lock and delete.

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
No. That is as crazy a conspiracy as the one that says Soros orchestrates them to push for gun control. Or that the gov't does it to distract from some other thorny political issue.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Conspiracy peddling helps no one

I know there is a lot of evil in the world but it usually operates more mundanely and follow the path of least resistance

As in lowest risk and highest return on investment

Conspiracy theories fly contrary to basic human nature which is why I always dismiss them without ample legitimate evidence

OP
OP
Ricky_R

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they would, but knowing the lengths they go to maintain the status quo, the thought crossed my mind.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Once gun control laws are in place there is no going back. It's not like one mass shooting will make everybody say "yeah, let's go back to regular mass shootings".

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, and honestly this is a little crazy. Like "Sandy Hook = false flag" crazy.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they'd plan one, mostly because they probably know some gun nut would go out and do it for them with the guy making it explicitly clear he's doing it to show that gun bans don't stop this.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I'm not american, so excuse my ignorance on this matter.
What are the ideologies of the NRA? That everyone should own a gun? Is that their life goal? Or there is more to it?

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Once gun control laws are in place there is no going back. It's not like one mass shooting will make everybody say "yeah, let's go back to regular mass shootings".

100% this. Why do you think the NRA is fighting it so hard right now? They know as well as the GOP, that once tougher gun laws are implemented and the result is that violent shootouts reduce drastically that it would be political suicide to make it super easy to get a gun again.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
No. Everything they do now as is technically legal afaik. Expecting them to go to those lengths seems absurd, especially when, looking at it from another angle, the threat of more gun control could potentially boost their donations.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If NRA tried something like this (I'm assuming you meaned an armed militia) they would get destroyed by the police and law abiding citizens with their own firearms.

This is insane anxiety levels of worry. NRA would never fuck with their money, which this would do.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to.

They'll just throw money at the GoP to get it overturned again.

Every time there is a mass shooting or talk of gun legislation, gun sales skyrocket.

Every time gun laws expire or are repealed, gun sales skyrocket.

It's almost like the stock market. The NRA don't have to do a damn thing but throw money at lawmakers.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
About as likely as Planned Parenthood poisoning the water supply with thalidomide if Trump and co. were to go after abortion.

I've been known to make a right wingers are evil joke a time or fifty, but the NRA premeditating mass murder? Absolutely not.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It's a stupid conspiracy theory at that. A mass shooting with our normal police response in place would pan out pretty much like they do now. The NRA would have to stage such an attack at 1-2x the frequency of current attacks to make people doubt the effectiveness of the legislation.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Nah... nah. Even the risk of discussing it far outweights the benefits they reap from these terrorist attacks.

The furthest I'd go is this: You can be certain that many of their members do relish these attacks, even if they'd never admit it. They'd be like a more sinister version of a person managing a call center for insurance claims who sees rain as possible property damage and therefore increased business.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is a laughably ridiculous hypothetical.

OP
OP
Ricky_R

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If NRA tried something like this (I'm assuming you meaned an armed militia) they would get destroyed by the police and law abiding citizens with their own firearms.

This is insane anxiety levels of worry. NRA would never fuck with their money, which this would do.

I'm not really worried, just curious after the thought crossed my mind for some reason. Also, I meant the NRA influencing in a way that helps someone willing to do the job.

Either way, the thread sounds like a huge conspiracy theory now that I think about it a bit more. I was just trying to entertain the idea and discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.