• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'd expect a variety of controls options tbh. Classic lock on, dual analog, gyro assist, simulated pointer.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they make it at this point they need to nail the pointer controls and include more bonus content to help tie it into whatever they plan on doing MP4. Samus Returns had that and I feel they need to do that again. Offer a shit ton of extra concept art with the game and make Samus Returns an unlockable bonus game. Do all that in addition to bringing the visuals up to HD standard(with good aliasing) and I'll be easily down for full price.

Nov 1, 2017
I would be up for a remaster of the game. Some of the things I would like to see include:

1) Graphical clean-up. Raise the resolution if possible, touch-up any FX or Lighting if it isn't too complicated (perhaps re-adding some of the animations that were missing from the Wii MPT). All obvious stuff, so let's move on.

2) Give options for both "regular controls" and "motion controls". Somethings to note: The regular controls might need tweaked (Holding A+Pressing Y for Super Missiles on a Joy-Con controller would be awful), and I'm not sure how accurate the "pointer" motion controls are without the sensor bar. Alternatively, if they could support the GCN controllers with the GCN Controller Adapter, I would be over the moon.

3) Reduce/Remove/Alter the mechanics behind the "Artifact" items. This is easily the biggest point of contention for most fans (particularly for MP1+MP2). For those unaware: To enter the "final area" of those games, 12 Artifacts are hidden around the world, many requiring extensive exploring and backtracking to obtain. A lot of players simply quit the game at this point, similar to the Triforce Quest in the Wind Waker (it's worth noting that Nintendo reduced the Triforce parts required to complete the game in the HD Remake).

Instead of "collect all 12 artifacts" to complete the game, perhaps the requirements could be reduced to 8/12. MP3C does something similar, the remaining "artifacts" only being used for unlocking optional expansions for Samus. Instead of gating the final area content, perhaps the game should reward the player with something extra for completing the game with all 12 Artifacts (e.g. a new aesthetic suit for New Game+?).

4) Now we're getting into "I can dream Harold" territory: Retain the "Scan Dash" from V1.0 of the game and still allow players to acquire Space Jumps early in MP1. Sequence breaks are considered "bugs" to Retro Studios, at least, that was their stance back in the day. I really hope this isn't the case for MP4 (heck, maybe they could even provide intentional sequence breaks in that game, similar to getting to Ridley's Lair before Kraid's in Metroid: Zero Mission).

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Ugh, with the delay of prime 4, you know Nintendo is going to sit on this rerelease till closer till time they are ready to announce more about prime 4.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
If all 3 games are included in one cart, then I'm just expecting native res versions of the games with dual analog/motion controls as additional control options for handheld mode. Texture resolution updates at MOST, but even that I wouldn't expect.

If they sell them separately I could see them doing larger texture, effect, and lighting updates. I just can't see them doing that for 3 fairly large games and including them in one package for $60. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess took ages to come out and weren't THAT substantial from a remaster perspective and were $60 EACH.

As much as I'd love the Metroid Prime games given a full remaster treatment, I'd rather just get all of them with Switch friendly controls in one package so I could play all three of them again before Prime 4.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
If MP4 is still years away, releasing them individually would be a good way of plugging the gaps and bringing people on board to the Prime series.

Having said that, I'd fucking hate it unless there were substantial additions to each game to make it worth it.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I actually think it makes more sense to release the Trilogy now rather than closer to Prime 4.

It gives people time to play through the other 3 games at their own pace and without suffering from fatigue as well.

zothenr

Sep 21, 2018
If all 3 games are included in one cart, then I'm just expecting native res versions of the games with dual analog/motion controls as additional control options for handheld mode. Texture resolution updates at MOST, but even that I wouldn't expect.

I think the textures can be improved, we can see before that Nintendo is improving the compression of data in Switch. Here you have a good example:

New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U is 13GB on Wii U
New Super Mario Bros Deluxe is 2.5 gb on Switch

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think MP4 getting delayed has made this less likely.

That said, I think it's likely that because of the success of Samus Returns, Mercurysteam are working on an original follow up for the Switch re-using that game's tech, which they'll then release as a double pack with a HD port of Samus Returns to the Switch.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Due to MP4 going back to the drawing board and now good few years away, Nintendo will have to keep fans happy and do some sort of a lazy port of the original 3 for the switch.
I would be very surprised if they release the whole trilogy in one pack.

My guess is they do a very minimum port and release each game at nearly full retail.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
1) Upres/refresh 2D assets/QoL adds/gyro/HD rumble, but not a remake
2) This year, probably fall (if rumors are true and it's "done")
3) E3

All this is based on absolutely nothing, just gut feelings. LOL

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to play MP3 with regular controls like MP1 and 2. The motion controls completely ruined MP3 for me, they were so frustrating I quit the game after only a couple of hours.

Nov 8, 2017
As far as I can tell from googling, the MP Trilogy release on Wii was 7GB all up. If that's just compression from whatever shonky site is hosting that, then it was still on one disc (8.7GB) at most. Fitting on an 8GB cart seems possible for the full trilogy, and a 16GB cart if they wanted extras/ updates would be easily possible.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to play MP3 with regular controls like MP1 and 2. The motion controls completely ruined MP3 for me, they were so frustrating I quit the game after only a couple of hours.
Because the Switch's portability, it seems like offering traditional control options would be a mandatory thing.

Either way, doing a quick remaster on the Wii trilogy seems like a no-brainer now. Can't be more than a year's worth of work (if that), and that's an easy sell for a wide swath of Switch owners waiting for the now delayed MP4.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Because the Switch's portability, it seems like offering traditional control options would be a mandatory thing.

Either way, doing a quick remaster on the Wii trilogy seems like a no-brainer now. Can't be more than a year's worth of work (if that), and that's an easy sell for a wide swath of Switch owners waiting for the now delayed MP4.
Tell that to super mario party.....

But in all seriousness nintendo really should stop locking control schemes behind 1 of the 2 modes. I wanted to play Super mario party in handheld mode or when im at home with a pro controller, nope not possible. Do you want to play pokemon lets go with a pro controller mimicking the handheld mode style and without the use of throwing motion? nope not possible.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD - 2020 release - native 720p undocked, native 1080p docked. upgraded lighting and textures.

Metroid Prime 4 - Late 2022 at the earliest.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"We know you've all been waiting for the Metroid Prime trilogy, so here it is! Now you will be able to enjoy Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, and Metroid: Other M Primed (Remastered) in one convenient package!"

Dr.Osiris

Oct 14, 2018
Worst case:
They port the wii versions
Each game is released separately - full price each
Motion controls only

Best case:
They port the gamecube versions (for 1 and 2)
3 games for one price - at less than $60
No motion controls

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Worst case:
They port the wii versions
Each game is released separately - full price each
Motion controls only

Best case:
They port the gamecube versions (for 1 and 2)
3 games for one price - at less than $60
No motion controls
nah they should

port the Wii versions (while un-nerfing the difficulty, bringing them back in line with the original GameCube games, because control preferences nonwithstanding, that's the only real issue with the Wii versions)
improve the lighting across the entire trilogy within reason
include motion controls, traditional controls, and the ability to use both at the same time, as options
and release it all in one reasonably priced ($40) package

that right there is the real best case scenario. the only thing Nintendo should eschew is Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer. They ought to replace it with a port of Metroid Prime Hunters with upscaled textures and a new lighting system, and include that game's multiplayer on top.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Unrealistic Hopes:
  • HD Assets from the ground up
  • Extra hard difficulty
  • Randomizer mode
  • Fixing major flaws of the original(easier-to-obtain aritifact hunt in MP1, better friendly AI in Prime 3, etc.)
  • Establish Prime as canon
  • Retcon Other M from ever happening

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Please make pointer IR controls a thing again Nintendo. Gyro is alright, but it's not as good as IR aiming for shooters on it's own.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If they sell them separately I could see them doing larger texture, effect, and lighting updates. I just can't see them doing that for 3 fairly large games and including them in one package for $60. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess took ages to come out and weren't THAT substantial from a remaster perspective and were $60 EACH.

As much as I'd love the Metroid Prime games given a full remaster treatment, I'd rather just get all of them with Switch friendly controls in one package so I could play all three of them again before Prime 4.
They could probably pull a Capcom on RE Revelations and have the first one on the cart and the other two be digital.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
If they make it at this point they need to nail the pointer controls and include more bonus content to help tie it into whatever they plan on doing MP4. Samus Returns had that and I feel they need to do that again. Offer a shit ton of extra concept art with the game and make Samus Returns an unlockable bonus game. Do all that in addition to bringing the visuals up to HD standard(with good aliasing) and I'll be easily down for full price.
They're definitely not going to include Samus Returns as a free bonus game. We're getting 3 games already, and hopefully remastered with improved lighting and textures along with the 720p/1080p resolution (and good motion controls). $60 for all 3 MP games is a freaking steal, especially remastered, which is usually something I don't see Nintendo doing and would rather sell separately.

Samus Returns can come out remastered separately and that would be fine by me. But yeah, people asking for 4 games or the trilogy being $40 are asking for wayy too much.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I expect the Wind Waker treatment. Prime is literally one of the 10 best games of all time. Nintendo should want to enshrine it.

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal
Ugh, with the delay of prime 4, you know Nintendo is going to sit on this rerelease till closer till time they are ready to announce more about prime 4.
I still don't get that logic though.

For me, with the delay of MP4 I wouldn't sit on MP Trilogy, on the contrary I would release it to fill up the void in the meantime.
Releasing MP Trilogy in the same year or close to MP4 would just have the risk to canibalize MP4 due to series fatigue.

Since we're seemingly going into yet another "drought" it still would make sense to release it sooner than later.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I still don't get that logic though.

For me, with the delay of MP4 I wouldn't sit on MP Trilogy, on the contrary I would release it to fill up the void in the meantime.
Releasing MP Trilogy in the same year or close to MP4 would just have the risk to canibalize MP4 due to series fatigue.

Since we're seemingly going into yet another "drought" it still would make sense to release it sooner than later.
Because MP T is a marketing tool to hype people for 4 and allow people to get up to speed with the series prior to release. You don't want to release it too early or everyone who gets it has to still wait 2-3 years for mp4 to release and by then, the hype has died down (built from mpt) and what you remember of the trilogy story is no longer fresh. Makes more sense to release it about a year from release of 4.

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal
Because MP T is a marketing tool to hype people for 4 and allow people to get up to speed with the series prior to release. You don't want to release it too early or everyone who gets it has to still wait 2-3 years for mp4 to release and by then, the hype has died down (built from mpt) and what you remember of the trilogy story is no longer fresh. Makes more sense to release it about a year from release of 4.
It makes sense only if you have other games in the pipeline, the problem here is that Nintendo currently barely has anything for Q4 and Q1. If they want to keep their momentum they need to release games, not delay them because of one that's being delayed, they can't yet again do half a year with barely anything.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
It makes sense only if you have other games in the pipeline, the problem here is that Nintendo currently barely has anything for Q4 and Q1. If they want to keep their momentum they need to release games, not delay them because of one that's being delayed, they can't yet again do half a year with barely anything.
I agree, but I think Nintendo does have other games that haven't been announced yet and ones that have but haven't had dates finalized to the public.
That and there is always some more wiiu ports that can be brought over as well as expanding the online arcade to snes and maybe even GQ games.

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal
I agree, but I think Nintendo does have other games that haven't been announced yet and ones that have but haven't had dates finalized to the public.
That and there is always some more wiiu ports that can be brought over as well as expanding the online arcade to snes and maybe even GQ games.
True, I wouldn't mind a XCX or TMS:FE port from the wii u.

I know we'll probably see a couple of Musou ports soon as well from Koei, like Orochi Warriors 3 Ultimate, SW: Sanada, DW8: Empires, but still. would be nice to see some announcements soon.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
True, I wouldn't mind a XCX or TMS:FE port from the wii u.

I know we'll probably see a couple of Musou ports soon as well from Koei, like Orochi Warriors 3 Ultimate, SW: Sanada, DW8: Empires, but still. would be nice to see some announcements soon.

With XCX Takahashi already said it isn't happening because of money. DW8 Empires is already on Switch but only in Japan, it was released in late 2017, of the others SW4 DX is coming to Switch in March but by the time being only in Japan.

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal
With XCX Takahashi already said it isn't happening because of money. DW8 Empires is already on Switch but only in Japan, it was released in late 2017, of the others SW4 DX is coming to Switch in March but by the time being only in Japan.
when I said DW8 Empire I did mean in the west. It's only a matter of time.
DW8XL DE has a notice about bonuses unlocked through saves of WO4, WO3U, DW8E and SW:Sanada of which only WO4 is actually out in the west. Would be weird to keep that notice and not bring them out here. (they don't seem to detect the JP versions of those games either, so it's set to work only with localized versions, which aren't out yet)

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
when I said DW8 Empire I did mean in the west. It's only a matter of time.
DW8XL DE has a notice about bonuses unlocked through saves of WO4, WO3U, DW8E and SW:Sanada of which only WO4 is actually out in the west. Would be weird to keep that notice and not bring them out here. (they don't seem to detect the JP versions of those games either, so it's set to work only with localized versions, which aren't out yet)

The thing with DW8 XL on Switch is a hint but it's kinda weird, it hints at other games coming over because of the bonuses like you say, but it's weird that DW8XL came out worldwide at the same time but the other bonus games(except WO4) came out in Japan 1 year before but still have no date for the west, same with SW4DX but that hasn't come out in Japan and isn't related to DW8XL bonuses.

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal
The thing with DW8 XL on Switch is a hint but it's kinda weird, it hints at other games coming over because of the bonuses like you say, but it's weird that DW8XL came out worldwide at the same time but the other bonus games(except WO4) came out in Japan 1 year before but still have no date for the west, same with SW4DX but that hasn't come out in Japan and isn't related to DW8XL bonuses.
It's Koei, they work in mysterious ways.

DW8 XL released on switch in the west without any prior announcements that it would release in the west, it just released out of the blue on day. I somehow except the others to do the same.
They did the same with DW7XL DE on Steam, they just released it without any hint that it would.

Oct 25, 2017
If MPT exists, I wonder if it is coming out later than planned because it was originally meant to be remade to be along the graphics engine of MP4.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
If MPT exists, I wonder if it is coming out later than planned because it was originally meant to be remade to be along the graphics engine of MP4.

However if Retro is starting from scratch they're probably using a different graphics engine too, and it's possible that if MPT exists and is done like the rumours say, it probably used a different graphics engine from what was being used in MP4.