Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, HW had characters that weren't canon or involved with the story. Hell, they had characters that didn't even fit the art style of the game. Bringing back some characters as non story related extras is fine.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
User cleversmoke on reddit attempted to overlay the Age of Calamity level mini-maps with Breath of the Wild's map, and the Zora's Domain map lines up perfectly and seems pretty large.

4zJzg0o.jpg

(Album)

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if they literally just imported the maps from BotW and put up collision to keep people from wandering around too much (no more Spider-Link climbing anything and everything). I doubt the maps will be built from scratch.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
User cleversmoke on reddit attempted to overlay the Age of Calamity level mini-maps with Breath of the Wild's map, and the Zora's Domain map lines up perfectly and seems pretty large.

4zJzg0o.jpg

(Album)
I wouldn't be surprised if they literally just imported the maps from BotW and put up collision to keep people from wandering around too much (no more Spider-Link climbing anything and everything). I doubt the maps will be built from scratch.
This is so fascinating. :) Maybe someone can try aligning this one - I believe you can see the location of the knighting ceremony, to the north. You can also see it on the map, in the form of the cross-shaped structure. Using that and the Castle Town wall as anchor points, the rest of the map could possibly be superimposed.

ehaempkxkaac3oyzcjib.jpeg

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This is so fascinating. :) Maybe someone can try aligning this one - I believe you can see the location of the knighting ceremony, to the north. You can also see it on the map, in the form of the cross-shaped structure. Using that and the Castle Town wall as anchor points, the rest of the map could possibly be superimposed.

If you look at the album I linked, that person aligned that one as well -- or tried to; it didn't fit quite as perfectly.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
God I want to wander around BotW's huge, thriving Castle Town before it got destroyed so badly. But the only hope for something like that in this game would likely be if it's a hub or something.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the album I linked, that person aligned that one as well -- or tried to; it didn't fit quite as perfectly.
SeNXoSE.jpeg

So I went into the game and took some screenshots of ruins along this route, and it actually matches up rather nicely.

Here's my starting point, south of the ceremonial grounds, as seen in the original screenshot. In AoC, the pillars housing the braziers are fully built out on either side of the approach; in BotW, they are broken stumps.

2020091300261200-f1c1d1kr0.jpg

2020091300133500-f1c1u6j4e.jpg

In AoC:

From there, I wandered east and found Mabe Village, and next to that, the Ranch Ruins.

Mabe Village:

2020091300280100-f1c1pbkx1.jpg

2020091300280600-f1c1u7j9c.jpg

Ranch Ruins:

2020091300285600-f1c1m9j0i.jpg

2020091300300400-f1c11ojd8.jpg

2020091300385000-f1c1eokiz.jpg

The southwest corner of the map takes you right around the Garrison Ruins:

2020091300505700-f1c12gjzk.jpg

2020091300491100-f1c131k9q.jpg

There are ruins around the nearby tower:

2020091300585000-f1c17rkff.jpg

And along the road leading back to the ceremonial grounds:

2020091301003400-f1c1v3kji.jpg

A shot of the modern-day ceremonial grounds:

2020091301144400-f1c15nkuz.jpg

In terms of how they can bound the pathways, to keep you from venturing off the map, there are remnants of fences and stone walls that could've fully lined the pathways back then:

2020091301172500-f1c1e3jl7.jpg

2020091301185800-f1c12cjzh.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
So Tecmo Koei are publishing it themselves? Was hoping to use my 2fer coupon on it as there's not much on the horizon from Nintendo other than remasters

Oct 28, 2017
Koei Tecmo is publishing it in Japan. Nintendo is publishing it everywhere else.
The voucher should work. I was able to use one to pre-order the game, though I guess that might not be the case in all territories. Doesn't hurt to visit the eShop and check the list.
Thanks - unfortunately I'm in Japan so I assume the voucher will not work. The first game doesn't seem to be available via the voucher, and actually I remembered that annoyingly it couldn't be played in English, only in Japanese or Chinese.

If I can't use the voucher I may as well buy on the US store as there's a lot of text that appears in screen for a short time so hard for a non-fluent speaker.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So Tecmo Koei are publishing it themselves? Was hoping to use my 2fer coupon on it as there's not much on the horizon from Nintendo other than remasters
It's the same as every Musou game they did with Nintendo. They always publish it in Japan, NIntendo always publishes it in the West. You'll be able to use your voucher.

edit: welp, yes, in Japan with a Japanese voucher you're out of luck then.

Anomika

Aug 24, 2020
Awesome, we got the official JP website for AoC. The English version should appear soon, hopefully.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder if we will see some hints of BotW 2's story in this.

Maybe see Ganondorf getting imprisoned before his Calamity counterpart overtook Hyrule?

Apr 9, 2019

4zJzg0o.jpg

(Album)

Really goes to show 1. how amazingly detailed the BotW team's efforts were to justify all those ruins and 2. how faithful AoC seems to be.

It really looks like the Zelda team thought up Hyrule pre-calamity first and then started destructinating everything for in-game Hyrule. The Warriors team seems to be benefitting from that greatly.

(Also: I'm so curious to technical analyses of AoC to find out on which engine it's running... Have they imported all those assets over to their own engine, or is AoC running on the BotW tech?)

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
SeNXoSE.jpeg

So I went into the game and took some screenshots of ruins along this route, and it actually matches up rather nicely.
Comparing the outlines to the ruins map in the Creating a Champion artbook we could see these what-will-be-ruins-in-the-future on that AoC map:

- Hyrule Castle
- Central Square (Hyrule Town)
- Hyrule Town
- Water Reservoir (Hyrule Town)
- Quarry (Hyrule Town)
- Hyrule Town Prison
- Sage Temple
- Mabe Village
- Ranch
- Hyrule Garrison
- Exchange
- Kolomo Garrison
- Gatepost Town
- Outpost
- East Post
- Coliseum

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man they're doing their damn homework here. Coulda just as easily said things just changed in the 100 years but they're clearly putting a lot of effort to "fit" this with BotW.

Yet some people will try and tell you Nintendo doesn't care about the lore of this franchise.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
I read here that people should not buy the original Hyrule Warriors because they could get burnt out.
That is true for all the adventure maps which are fun but repetitive.
But there is a good 15 hour story mode. Buy the game and play this mode and you will have a short wait for Age of Calamity.

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I read here that people should not buy the original Hyrule Warriors because they could geht burnt out.
That is true for all the adventure maps which are fun but repetitive.
But there is a good 15 hour story mode. Buy the game and play this mode and you will have a short wait for Age of Calamity.

I am replaying Legends mode now (beat it on Wii U and 3DS but never Definitive Edition). I forgot how meaty the story mode was. You have the main campaign plus Cia's tale, Linkle's side plot and the epilogue. I think it's safe for people to play through this and then wait for AoC. Playing Legends mode will burn you out which is a shame because it's the real meat of the game with a lot of fun unlockable characters and weapons.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Speaking about the maps, and how they line up with BotW, I think it's safe to conclude that we'll see characters that come from those villages that are destined to be destroyed and are in complete ruins in BotW. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one of the PCs is a version of Malon from Lon Lon Ranch, for instance. Nintendo could easily fill out roster spots with some "re-imagined" fan favorites that come from the various towns of Hyrule. I dunno how overboard they will go with this, but I fully expect to see at least a couple such characters. Again, Malon is an obvious candidate.

Man they're doing their damn homework here. Coulda just as easily said things just changed in the 100 years but they're clearly putting a lot of effort to "fit" this with BotW.

Yet some people will try and tell you Nintendo doesn't care about the lore of this franchise.
The Creating a Champion book makes it abundantly clear that Nintendo had a lot of material for BotW that they could draw from. I was afraid that they would do what they would always do and toss all that aside in favor of doing random gameplay experiments that result in something completely new. I'm so glad that we're getting two more BotW games that could incorporate all that wonderful material that BotW itself didn't.

The work was actually done back during BotW's development. Now Nintendo is simply reaping the harvest that they sowed several years ago. As I've said a few times, this is so unlike what they normally do that I never expected they would do this, but I'm so, so happy to be wrong for once.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Wonder if we will see some hints of BotW 2's story in this.

Maybe see Ganondorf getting imprisoned before his Calamity counterpart overtook Hyrule?

The Calamity first appeared ten thousand years prior to the events of AOC, so we probably wouldn't get that much. At most, maybe we could get some insight on how the Sheikah knew about Ganondorf being under Hyrule Castle's basement (and possibly experimenting on him?).

And like others suggest, I'd definitely like to see how that fortune teller knew the Calamity was coming back. Who was he, and what kind of hook-up did he have to be privy to such details?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The Calamity first appeared ten thousand years prior to the events of AOC, so we probably wouldn't get that much. At most, maybe we could get some insight on how the Sheikah knew about Ganondorf being under Hyrule Castle's basement (and possibly experimenting on him?).

And like others suggest, I'd definitely like to see how that fortune teller knew the Calamity was coming back. Who was he, and what kind of hook-up did he have to be privy to such details?
The "Creating a Champion" book says the fortune teller was a woman, and posits that she may have been Rhoam's wife, the late queen.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
The work was actually done back during BotW's development. Now Nintendo is simply reaping the harvest that they sowed several years ago. As I've said a few times, this is so unlike what they normally do that I never expected they would do this, but I'm so, so happy to be wrong for once.

Agreed, its an unbelievable time to be a Zelda fan!

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019

the Calamity was an inside job
Definitely what I'm hoping for. I've always suspected it was a Yiga agent working in disguise. Honestly, it's kinda the only way the set-up makes sense. It would also explain why Ganon was able to hack the Guardians, which is otherwise completely unaccounted for.

The "Creating a Champion" book says the fortune teller was a woman, and posits that she may have been Rhoam's wife, the late queen.
Hmm, I don't remember that. I do remember the book saying the prophet must've been a good person; otherwise the king wouldn't have believed the prophecy. Good thing I just got my copy out of storage this afternoon!

Found it! On page 374, it does say, "Alternatively, it's possible that the fortune-teller may have been the queen of Hyrule." But the narrative on page 372 doesn't really lend itself to that interpretation. The blurb on p. 374 makes it very clear the fortune-teller must've been a trusted insider, but this person's identity has been lost to history. So who knows? Nintendo can do pretty much whatever it wants with this character, or nothing at all.

By the way, I was looking through the Creating a Champion's book again today, and a thought suddenly came to me: our little guardian egg friend on the cover will end up becoming the machine core of Calamity Ganon's body.

From this:

EhiY73oWkAAj_EV

to this:

Well, unfortunately I couldn't seem to find a place to get a Calamity Ganon fully body image that is an approved site for inserting images, so just google it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i had lent my copy of botw to someone pre-covid, i just got it back yesterday so i'm gonna play around a bit in the game. i doubt i'll do a whole new playthrough before AoC tho.