• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
End of story spoilers: (warning, I'm also a negative Nancy so read at your own peril...)

Good god, this might be the worst time travel story I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

The character interactions and seeing Zelda interact with the others from a different perspective is fairly good, but every time anything even slightly bad might happen, the stupid little Deus ex machina robot pulls some bullshit and suddenly everything is good again.

It removes all agency from the actual characters, including Zelda, because they never overcome any challenges they face by their own strength of will or plans they made, but instead everything happens because a little OC (do not steal)robot decides it. By the end, I was frankly shocked it didn't grab the master sword itself, reveal itself to be the true hero, and shank calamity Ganon with it. Of course, it still ended up being the only thing that could break the Ganon shield for reasons.

I guess canon Zeldas problem was also she wasn't really as sad about her family *actually* dying and her subjects being dead all around her to awaken her power as AoC Zelda seeing Link in slight danger 🤷‍♂️, it's not like she watched him die there or anything.

Thank goodness I had warning about this beforehand because good god did they ruin the story they knew well enough to sell as a prequel.

Still like the game as a new adventure mode style map, and the gameplay works as well as it did for Hyrule Warrioes but good god am I turned off on the plot hard.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
End of story spoilers: (warning, I'm also a negative Nancy so read at your own peril...)

Good god, this might be the worst time travel story I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

The character interactions and seeing Zelda interact with the others from a different perspective is fairly good, but every time anything even slightly bad might happen, the stupid little Deus ex machina robot pulls some bullshit and suddenly everything is good again.

It removes all agency from the actual characters, including Zelda, because they never overcome any challenges they face by their own strength of will or plans they made, but instead everything happens because a little OC (do not steal)robot decides it. By the end, I was frankly shocked it didn't grab the master sword itself, reveal itself to be the true hero, and shank calamity Ganon with it. Of course, it still ended up being the only thing that could break the Ganon shield for reasons.

I guess canon Zeldas problem was also she wasn't really as sad about her family *actually* dying and her subjects being dead all around her to awaken her power as AoC Zelda seeing Link in slight danger 🤷‍♂️, it's not like she watched him die there or anything.

Thank goodness I had warning about this beforehand because good god did they ruin the story they knew well enough to sell as a prequel.

Still like the game as a new adventure mode style map, and the gameplay works as well as it did for Hyrule Warrioes but good god am I turned off on the plot hard.
Gameplay loop is strong enough to carry it, really strong in-fact, because otherwise yeah *that* is a turn off

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
zelda thanking her abusive father for his love was a major low point in particular.
Yeah I feel they portrayed the king as too much of a dick here. You got the sense he was strict in BotW but here he is just so awful 90% of the time, and I don't think it's the intention. Sucks because he became one of my favourites to play as.

Haha yeah... by the end I was just like "this game really expects me to be sad this retconning robot is dying just because he plays a cute rendition of Zelda's Lullaby". Then he fucking comes back to life to deliver one last ridiculous moment by somehow being the thing that has to weaken Ganon, because of course.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
so i'm about 50 hours in, have a couple (literally two) challenges left, and have completed over 90% of all quests. with a couple more hours, i'll have this fully wrapped up.

considering that - it's a much smaller experience than hyrule warriors. there were a lot more different aspects of that game to explore, while this is a more straightforward story. and if i had to choose between the two, i'd definitely pick the first one again as a zelda all-stars get-together versus this thing.

what age of calamity can't get around is that it's set specifically in breath of the wild's backstory. this isn't a bad idea on its own - and there are plenty of characters to play and unlock, but the style does not mesh. it can't be this relatively serious botw prequelish game and a zelda get-together. the final unlockable character in particular doesn't make sense in this context. it would have been better to make a hyrule warriors 2 that brought in the botw crowd and keep that to its own continuity.

one of my favorite things about breath of the wild was the january 2017 release date trailer. it's four minutes of stakes upping themselves, wonders revealed, and this grand classic story to unfold, all set to orchestrated music that reaches its climax with a triumphant rendition of the legend of zelda theme. like damn - that game has it all - style, adventure, and stakes. but it's that last part that's not present in the final product. while hyrule can be a blast to enjoy, with so many hidden secrets to find and places to explore, the motivation is entirely on hyrule, and the story is purely secondary. when the story does happen, it's usually in cutscenes or they're basically collectible items. nintendo spent all this time crafting this world and giving the player so much control, and then it's crudely wrested away whenever story happens.

and i think it's telling that people remember urbosa, revali, and daruk over riju, teba, and yunoba. sidon's charisma probably helps him the most out of the new champions. being the first one you find probably helps too. but basically all the interesting stuff happens 100 years ago, and yet there's no interesting way to interact with it. maybe these could be mini gameplay sequences where the player is locked to a small enclosed area. maybe it's a hologram that the player can see and run around in. maybe it's just a string of dialogue choices and these have minor effects on the world outside the cutscene later (silent hill: shattered memories style). for the missions that do involve the new champions... they're fine, but i can't say they added any emotional impact to the game. there wasn't some sense of urgency to help them.

so that left me with some mixed thoughts going into age of calamity. for one, it's a warriors game, so the gameplay -> cutscene -> gameplay format is a lot more understandable. it also takes place 100 years in the past when all the bad stuff was going down, so there actually is a sense of urgency, and with the champions to boot! as with everyone, i found the separate timeline stuff to be pretty crappy, but on the plus side, it gives everyone a true sense of urgency. seeing the variation in the timeline because of this interference is interesting.

that's it though. as the game continues, it just gets worse and worse. in breath of the wild, zelda is an insecure science nerd who wants to use her science powers to save the kingdom. her dad puts down her efforts to try and be herself and forces her to do something she has no affinity towards. and while he hates having to be strict with her, he feels like it's the thing he has to do. zelda is relatable. she gets excited for things she loves, finds disappointment in herself, and lashes out at people. also in breath of the wild, link is kind of a jackass. this isn't abundantly clear except for the dialogue choices he's allowed to make. maybe it's his amnesia, but he can be blunt and rude and a lot of times is just in a mode of 'gimme the thing' and 'lemme do the thing' - sort of applying his courage to everyday interactions.

these are characters who are stripped down in age of calamity. link is shown to eat a lot in one scene and that's basically it. zelda is reduced only to her suffering, and king rhoam is only his stubbornness. and it's really dumb that he's all on zelda completing her training when this robot from the future tells everyone what will happen in the future and he continues to ignore the obvious reality that zelda's research actually might be able to help turn this around.

then from here, the calamity happens. the story is on its last legs at this point. it then falls apart when people from the future show up. because this is a warriors game and that's what warriors games do. it makes zero sense. the people no one ever rooted for (except sidon) are now here and the day is saved for now. who are these people? what is the impact on their future? apparently they went to another dimension and time to help out, and get some closure, i guess. but if you never played breath of the wild, then this has little value. and if you have played breath of the wild... i don't know if you get anything out of this because outside of the zora story there wasn't much there to the newbies in the first place.

there is one interesting idea that kinda works here - that astor is trying to bring about fate and the player is playing a prequel that is defying the fate that leads to breath of the wild. going this route would have needed more time for the new champions to actually develop, and needed astor to be a lot more charismatic. we've had cackling villains in zelda games before, but there isn't much to astor in the way of dialogue, appearance, or personality that sets him apart. ghirahim is a lackey but he feels like a threat: he's more than a match for link, impa, and zelda throughout all of skyward sword, knowingly being used by demise and fucking loves it. astor's just kinda there, unwittingly being used by ganon, until he dies from it.

none of these characters do anything on their own. the champions get saved by future selves. mr. robot blows up calamity ganon enough, apparently. even astor doesn't have control in the end.

i'd rewind the story to before the calamity strikes - right before the whole thing crumbles. this is a good chance for king rhoam to say you know what - you were right about the science stuff, and let zelda come up with a plan of attack. maybe it involves finding or creating a science mcguffin that would block calamity from infecting the divine beasts. and maybe this is done by bringing the different parts of hyrule together to make it, highlighting her wisdom. it also might spare us the complete-asshole king rhoam we got that led to what amounted to zelda characterizing her father's abuse as love. and we would havee seen more of zelda outside of her just being sad (with the exception of the very end).

overall, i had fun with the game parts, but the story is a major hindrance. kinda sucks too, because it's usually at this time of the year that i find the one thing that becomes my favorite game of the year, and this time that hasn't happened.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
there is one interesting idea that kinda works here - that astor is trying to bring about fate and the player is playing a prequel that is defying the fate that leads to breath of the wild. going this route would have needed more time for the new champions to actually develop, and needed astor to be a lot more charismatic. we've had cackling villains in zelda games before, but there isn't much to astor in the way of dialogue, appearance, or personality that sets him apart. ghirahim is a lackey but he feels like a threat: he's more than a match for link, impa, and zelda throughout all of skyward sword, knowingly being used by demise and fucking loves it. astor's just kinda there, unwittingly being used by ganon, until he dies from it.

Oof, that character was so bad.
Where did he come from? Why does he want Ganon to come back? Why is he so obsessed with Fate and Destiny? What happened to him in the original timeline? He is just the worst personification of how hollow this trend of stories about changing your destiny has become. I know Zelda villains are not deep but Astor takes that to a new low.

Nov 17, 2017
I have similar sentiments about the story.

They seem to want to have their cake and eat it too. They clearly want to show how dire the Calamity is and how it destroyed the kingdom in BotW but they also want all the heroes to survive and win every battle. That just makes the Calamity feel weak. The only time the heroes really "fail" is at Hyrule Castle when the King dies and Zelda and Link have to escape. Except, the King doesn't even die because of the relic Zelda gave him.

It feels like Nintendo really didn't want to make a story that was a tragedy so they opted for this alternate timeline so everyone could be happy and it feels like a fanfiction in that sense. If they didn't want to make a sad ending, I don't know why they made Hyrule get destroyed in BotW's backstory in the first place.

I also get that the time travel stuff does allow more of the actual game to play so I understand it from that perspective. The backstory written in BotW just didn't allow for a full game like AoC is. I just wish they had some things actually have consequences in the story so there would be some stakes.

Oof, that character was so bad.
Where did he come from? Why does he want Ganon to come back? Why is he so obsessed with Fate and Destiny? What happened to him in the original timeline? He is just the worst personification of how hollow this trend of stories about changing your destiny has become. I know Zelda villains are not deep but Astor takes that to a new low.
Funny enough, he summons things called Hollows.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(Shrug)

I liked it.

Future Champions got more love, past champions get to be playable, and I have a justification for Link/Mipha fanfiction.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I actually really liked the story. I mean it was a silly alternate universe thing to begin with, so I guess I didn't take it too seriously and some of the more obvious flaws didn't really bother me.
I particularly liked the scale of some of the battles with guardians which was effective in portraying how hopeless things were in the original timeline once the divine beasts were disabled by the shades/phantoms.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

I didn't actually finish the game but looked up the rest of it tonight, and this 100% nails my thoughts. Really disappointed they went this route.

And I had it even worse since I wasn't even a big fan of the gameplay or combat and was mostly slowly completing the game to get to the story.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I just beat the main story, but is the post-game worth it? I've done basically all the side missions up until this point, but now I see a bunch more.

Do they explain more about what Terrako is? Like how is some toy that Zelda put together able to time travel and summon other folks from the future? Also how was there a time traveling Ganon guardian?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
yeah all right i'm done. apparently you need to collect 100% of the korok seeds which means actually replaying every level to completion again. since i'm not doing that, this game will remain unfinished.

that's a dumb idea and it should have been axed in development. it even goes against what breath of the wild does by not needing 100% of them.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just beat the main story, but is the post-game worth it? I've done basically all the side missions up until this point, but now I see a bunch more.

Do they explain more about what Terrako is? Like how is some toy that Zelda put together able to time travel and summon other folks from the future? Also how was there a time traveling Ganon guardian?
There is a secret ending if you get all the parts but I can't say what it actually involves as I haven't done it yet
also 2 more unlockable characters

Cieviz

Jan 11, 2018
just finished the main story and the first thought was: "so what?"
I'm amazed how Nintendo is not able to create a good plot in their games, or connect all their games in a in a way that makes sense.
I could have wrote a better plot for this game for sure.
Now let's see all the time travveling disappear in BOTW 2, so this game will remain a stand alone.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
just finished the main story and the first thought was: "so what?"
I'm amazed how Nintendo is not able to create a good plot in their games, or connect all their games in a in a way that makes sense.
I could have wrote a better plot for this game for sure.
Now let's see all the time travveling disappear in BOTW 2, so this game will remain a stand alone.

a big problem is that they just flanderized the characters down to a core component of their personality from botw.

link: kind of a blunt / straightforward and sometimes assholish guy in botw. he likes to eat in aoc.
zelda: insecure nerd who loves her work and the things she cares about. she's only sad and depressed in aoc.
rhoam: reluctantly strict father in botw. relentlessly stubborn authoritarian in aoc.

i can't remember impa in botw honestly, but she's just a cheerleader anime girl in aoc and it's weird.

part of the fun in playing link is you're this guy with amnesia who's on some kind of time limit and is catching up on everything. so he's constantly moving forward and demanding stuff from people. he's not even a character in aoc. zelda is relatable as someone who's put into a position where she feels like she can use her actual talent/skill to help, and is forced to do something she has no affinity towards. i think botw's story is lazy in how divine intervention saves the day on her 17th birthday, but at least her motivation gives us a better understanding to her frustration, and her frustration comes out in other ways than just being sad. king rhoam also doesn't have any reason to believe anything zelda's doing is going to work, and relies on old institutions and beliefs instead.

in aoc, zelda is only sad and depressed that her 'innate power' can't come to be. she's not frustrated with her father and she doesn't take it out on anyone else or in any other way than just being sad. king rhoam, when faced with an example of how technology has altered history and given them a huge edge, disregards it for no reason and keeps yelling at zelda.

i think that here, there would have needed some change in botw's general story too, but there was an opportunity the writers missed in how to approach the conclusion of the game. it really should have been zelda's wisdom, not her spirituality, that saved the day. this could have been less about science vs. religion and more about how reaching out to other people and coming together will make people stronger than waiting for a single savior. would have fit in with the genre aoc fits in with more, and offered a separate view of 'only the hero can save the world' in botw. but that would require the writers of these games to actually consider themes in the first place.

i say bring in koizumi. he was the one with those ideas, and he's an ill fit for mario anyway.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I know this is a long shot, but... is there a way to adjust the FOV somehow?

I am playing split-screen with my partner, and it's really annoying how, if you're close to a tall or floating enemy and lock-on (like Moblin or a Wizzrobe), you can't even see what the hell they're doing and can't respond with the correct counter because of the FOV. I almost wish we could have one person playing on the Switch's screen and the other on the TV, like we did in the Wii U game.

Also, I see a lot of opinions on the story going on, but I'm a bit surprised because... well, y'all must be new to musou, but those games have always had completely lame, throwaway stories haha. Wish we could just skip all the dialogue but my SO insists on watching it all -_-

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They don't really explain more. It's Sheikah tech so that's all that matters. The corrupted Terrako is the Age of Calamity universe's Terrako, it becomes corrupted by some of Ganon's malice which came with good Terrako through the portal from the doomed universe. It was just sitting in the box in Zelda's tower before good Terrako appeared. Once Astor gets it, somehow, he turns it into the Harbinger of Calamity by sacrificing the Yoga clan to it, and then it turns into Calamity Ganon by consuming Astor and taking all his power. Hopefully they'll explain more about evil Terrako a little more whenever Astor and company are made playable

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really, really hope BOTW2 doesn't include a scene of Link saving Zelda while she stands helpless like a deer caught in a headlight. We got enough of those scenes in this game. It just felt like the developers knew they needed to overcompensate for the fact that Link can't say anything at all with a large cast of characters that are shown to basically pull an equal weight in the struggle vs Calamity. I wish there was a bit more confidence in having Link just take a backseat and let others shine, as opposed to making him the hero at the expense of Zelda. Spoilers for final fight:
There was no reason for Link to be the one to make the final blow to Ganon. I switched to Zelda right when Ganon had his last bit of HP because it felt right for her to get the final blow. I was irked to see that Link needed to be shown having a hand in this

Last edited:

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I see a lot of opinions on the story going on, but I'm a bit surprised because... well, y'all must be new to musou, but those games have always had completely lame, throwaway stories haha. Wish we could just skip all the dialogue but my SO insists on watching it all -_-

Nintendo emphazised the story would be a big deal in their marketing campaign.
That's why a lot of people who normally wouldn't touch Warriors titles played this game in the first place.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
on chapter 6 and using some of the newly unlocked characters. Not sure how to play them. So much movement with their combos. Draining a weakpoint gauge takes awhile. I have two sidequests left and yeah. Not easy to get used to these new characters.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
on chapter 6 and using some of the newly unlocked characters. Not sure how to play them. So much movement with their combos. Draining a weakpoint gauge takes awhile. I have two sidequests left and yeah. Not easy to get used to these new characters.
I'd say stick to your regulars and wait until you unlock some more combo and heart upgrades for the new ones. I always feel the base combos of any character are way too constrained and rarely ever feel good.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
If those characters I only used the rito and zora ones. Zora is good immediately imo, must straightforward great damage output and easy to use.

The trick with the rito is that he's a fucking weakpoint destroying monster. Seriously, his YX(mash X) absolutely annihilates stuff. Hit them with stasis first as well and stuff will just disappear.

His YYX(mash X) and YYYX(mash X) are a great crowd clearer too.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
This game feels so effortless to play. It's addictive in a way the original hyrule warriors wasn' and I was expecting this game to be worse than it.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The trick with the rito is that he's a fucking weakpoint destroying monster. Seriously, his YX(mash X) absolutely annihilates stuff. Hit them with stasis first as well and stuff will just disappear.

His YYX(mash X) and YYYX(mash X) are a great crowd clearer too.
this is absolutely accurate.

This game feels so effortless to play. It's addictive in a way the original hyrule warriors wasn' and I was expecting this game to be worse than it.
I think an easily overlooked genius design move here is the very simple fact that EVERYTHING is on the botw world map. No navigating through modes and menus and having a list of story missions presented as menus. You're on the world map you already know (show me the one person who plays this without having played botw) and are familiar with and you're right at home selecting places to go to and do missions in. Even the teleportation cutscene before every combat mission just conveys the notion of you just being in that world again and simply fast traveling into these scenarios. I barely touched Adventure Mode in HW1 thanks to the obtuse Zelda 1 puzzles and annoying routing you had to do to get to the cool shit (=unlockables). Presentation wise, those maps were a cool idea but extremely daunting and unappealing if you just wanted to get in there, get some time in and unlock the characters and weapons. Here you have it all in front of you. You can't do this or that upgrade because you're out of material X or Y and you can turn on the tracker and go play any combat mission that suits the needs since those are never gated off here. It's the perfect "just one more!" formula.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I wish DLCs for this were announced already, love this game and 100%ed in 70 hours, but you unlock the last 2 characters so late, I feel like I just couldn't use them as much as I wanted.
Honestly this just make me want to go back to Hyrule Warriors Definite Edition, I'm at 120+ hours so tons of content left to do.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
this is absolutely accurate.

I think an easily overlooked genius design move here is the very simple fact that EVERYTHING is on the botw world map. No navigating through modes and menus and having a list of story missions presented as menus. You're on the world map you already know (show me the one person who plays this without having played botw) and are familiar with and you're right at home selecting places to go to and do missions in. Even the teleportation cutscene before every combat mission just conveys the notion of you just being in that world again and simply fast traveling into these scenarios. I barely touched Adventure Mode in HW1 thanks to the obtuse Zelda 1 puzzles and annoying routing you had to do to get to the cool shit (=unlockables). Presentation wise, those maps were a cool idea but extremely daunting and unappealing if you just wanted to get in there, get some time in and unlock the characters and weapons. Here you have it all in front of you. You can't do this or that upgrade because you're out of material X or Y and you can turn on the tracker and go play any combat mission that suits the needs since those are never gated off here. It's the perfect "just one more!" formula.
Yeah, tying everything to the world map goes a long way towards encouraging you to do as much as you can. I think another element that helps is how all the activities are contextualized. Every mission is based around helping people and strengthening communities and you always get a nice little blurb to show the positive impact of your actions. That they are based on specific spots on the map makes them even more tangible, especially when you can identify places that would exist in Breath of the Wild because of your actions. Usually, I'd glaze over the type of basic fetch-quests that this game throws at you but in this game, I'm doing as many as possible because it feels like I'm making a difference.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
link: kind of a blunt / straightforward and sometimes assholish guy in botw. he likes to eat in aoc.
zelda: insecure nerd who loves her work and the things she cares about. she's only sad and depressed in aoc.
rhoam: reluctantly strict father in botw. relentlessly stubborn authoritarian in aoc.
I'm only partway through (chapter 4), but these assessments feel... off.

Link's still mute in AOC, yes, and without the player input options he has less opportunity for personality. But they still managed to play off his muteness - the way he only half listens to conversations while traveling so he can stay focused on his surroundings is a genuine part of his character. It's not outright stated, but he seems to frequently be the only one paying close attention.

I've certainly still seen both sides of Zelda. Not really sure what else to say there.

Rhoam is very clearly still the same guy from BotW at the start of chapter 4. He obviously struggles between forcing Zelda to train and allowing her to research. I'd even argue that he's less strict in that scene than he was in the memory scene from BotW, and I think the fact that Zelda brings up her mother strikes a chord with him.

I'll also add that if you're basing Rhoam's personality from BotW on his interactions with Link and his diary, you're being a bit unfair to AOC. Rhoam is clear that his strictness is a front he puts up because he has to; but without a post-mortem talk or a diary, there isn't really a chance to show him dropping that front.

If it all gets worse later, then, well, nevermind.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only partway through (chapter 4), but these assessments feel... off.

Link's still mute in AOC, yes, and without the player input options he has less opportunity for personality. But they still managed to play off his muteness - the way he only half listens to conversations while traveling so he can stay focused on his surroundings is a genuine part of his character. It's not outright stated, but he seems to frequently be the only one paying close attention.

I've certainly still seen both sides of Zelda. Not really sure what else to say there.

Rhoam is very clearly still the same guy from BotW at the start of chapter 4. He obviously struggles between forcing Zelda to train and allowing her to research. I'd even argue that he's less strict in that scene than he was in the memory scene from BotW, and I think the fact that Zelda brings up her mother strikes a chord with him.

I'll also add that if you're basing Rhoam's personality from BotW on his interactions with Link and his diary, you're being a bit unfair to AOC. Rhoam is clear that his strictness is a front he puts up because he has to; but without a post-mortem talk or a diary, there isn't really a chance to show him dropping that front.

If it all gets worse later, then, well, nevermind.

there's a part after chapter four and right at the start of chapter five that sours me on age of calamity, and specifically where it all goes downhill for any sense of character development, growth, or any sort of theme to be meaningfully brought into the story age of calamity is telling. i was still kinda on board with the game during chapter four, but starting with chapter five the story is on a steep downward spiral.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Given the choice between the two, I'd choose HW1's story over AoC's every time. They are basically the same arch story anyway, but at least HW1 knew what it was and ran with it.

This should have been HW2 and used Calamity Cia instead and just had the BotW stuff be a couple of battles.

Also, unrelated: It's also weird that I 100% this weeks ago. I never even sniffed 100% of the first game, even prior to any DLC.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any levels that are good for farming sugar cane? I know you can buy some at the store, but you can only buy, like, 6 at a time and I use them a lot for farming materials

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Are there any levels that are good for farming sugar cane? I know you can buy some at the store, but you can only buy, like, 6 at a time and I use them a lot for farming materials
There's that one horse shop For on that sometimes sells it too. But yeah, they way I built up supply was to just use less of it sometimes. Farm something else for a while.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
there's a part after chapter four and right at the start of chapter five that sours me on age of calamity, and specifically where it all goes downhill for any sense of character development, growth, or any sort of theme to be meaningfully brought into the story age of calamity is telling. i was still kinda on board with the game during chapter four, but starting with chapter five the story is on a steep downward spiral.
Aight. Good to know beforehand, honestly.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Is it just me or is the pacing somehow worse than the first game? Feels like there's too many filler "training" side-missions that last like 2-3 minutes and are utterly brain dead, a lot of them don't even properly train you about whatever it is they're training you for (for instance there was one about the magnetic rune which we ended up not using at all and didn't even see an enemy throw a metal object or anything requiring that rune as a counter).

It just breaks the pace so much that I'm thinking we should probably skip them, but I assume my partner will insist on being completist... 😩

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is the pacing somehow worse than the first game? Feels like there's too many filler "training" side-missions that last like 2-3 minutes and are utterly brain dead, a lot of them don't even properly train you about whatever it is they're training you for (for instance there was one about the magnetic rune which we ended up not using at all and didn't even see an enemy throw a metal object or anything requiring that rune as a counter).

It just breaks the pace so much that I'm thinking we should probably skip them, but I assume my partner will insist on being completist... 😩
The rune training missions are pretty bad, yeah. The character specific ones tend to be good though, as they're balanced around you using the character at their base level with their starting weapon, giving you a safe environment to test them out without forcing you to go back and replay content. Plus some of them then unlock new moves for the character in question.

The pacing in regards to the side content during the story is pretty bad on the whole. It's not unusual to finish a story mission and just sit there as 20+ side icons pop up on the map.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
OOF, I really dislike Zelda with the bow as a weapon. It feels so completely weak and ineffective. I don't get it.

I can't even clear the first challenge because it takes so many hits to beat even the smallest enemies, and when it doesn't they just sort of go flying.

I guess it's better to use the powerful form but then you move so damn slow and drain your special and it doesn't feel great either.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just did the challenge called "Escorting the Injured." There's a part at the beginning where it says to avoid fighting the Lynel. What bad advice!!