• 70-74

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • under 70

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised it's reviewing so well because it's a musou game. Usually these reviews are always if you like this genre you will love it 7. Can't wait to play the full game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Surprised it's reviewing so well because it's a musou game. Usually these reviews are always if you like this genre you will love it 7. Can't wait to play the full game.
Posted it earlier but top musou game on switch is dynasty warriors 8 extreme legends at 83, and HWDE at 78 then OPPW3 at 73. So yeah it's doing great and second highest rated on switch

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Posted it earlier but top musou game on switch is dynasty warriors 8 extreme legends at 83, and HWDE at 78 then OPPW3 at 73. So yeah it's doing great and second highest rated on switch

Dynasty Warriors 8 would almost certainly be rated lower if it was more widely reviewed as well to be fair

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Kinda suck they missed the opportunity to do a real trilogy. But i will accept this as just a Botw musou game
I do hope they will be doing more story in Botw 2 and explain what went wrong in Botw.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Kinda suck they missed the opportunity to do a real trilogy. But i will accept this as just a Botw musou game
I do hope they will be doing more story in Botw 2 and explain what went wrong in Botw.
this game seems like a really missed opportunity. sad.

And it sucks because it's the last Switch game I was looking forward to playing this year.

Nintendo's output in 2020 is very poor.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
That Kotaku review...

Fans of previous Hyrule Warriors games will lament the loss of the Adventure mode

Replacing it in Age of Calamity is the quest/challenge system. Y'all, I hate quests. There are too damn many of them, all of them tedious.

... you drew the direct comparison between the two modes but have an issue with it in AoC? lol

I suppose I can understand it being frustrating that these sort of challenges went from an optional side mode to integrated with the main story, but with them acting as the gate to new characters / items / weapons, I welcome it. HW felt way too uneven and front loaded going from Story -> Adventure mode.

If you're looking for a timesink, AoC has you covered.

Yay! This was my main worry, that this game would be over much sooner than the original. This is the kind of game I want to return to for months / years to come.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I love musou and played the demo until I maxed the characters (20 cap in demo) and improved the weapons a bunch. I'm sure I'll love this game. I get why people have concerns over the story, but I really just wanted more musou and to spend more time with the original champions.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wait, Adventure Mode is gone, but has been replaced with something kind of similar within the main campaign itself?

That's....actually really great. Technical issues aside, this seems like a very solid package.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That Kotaku review...

... you drew the direct comparison between the two modes but have an issue with it in AoC? lol

I suppose I can understand it being frustrating that these sort of challenges went from an optional side mode to integrated with the main story, but with them acting as the gate to new characters / items / weapons, I welcome it. HW felt way too uneven and front loaded going from Story -> Adventure mode.

Yay! This was my main worry, that this game would be over much sooner than the original. This is the kind of game I want to return to for months / years to come.
So wait, Adventure Mode is gone, but has been replaced with something kind of similar within the main campaign itself?

That's....actually really great. Technical issues aside, this seems like a very solid package.
Yup organically incorporated the side modes into the main menu and keeping them gradual along with story progress(and the tough ones post story) sounds like a major improvement. You could drown in those adventure maps getting loss

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Damned Nintendo and their prequels with cop-out endings

26ff3ac1-c451-48a0-bc92-9b5953f905e5.png
hnnnnng.jpg

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Sorry, I don't want to read any reviews just in-case; is the story just random then? It doesn't really have any baring on the main game and won't really setup the fabled trilogy that we were hoping for?

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
They weren't going to do a trilogy where the prequel has drastically different gameplay.

Why not, this is what they were marketing it to be tho.

this game seems like a really missed opportunity. sad.

And it sucks because it's the last Switch game I was looking forward to playing this year.

Nintendo's output in 2020 is very poor.

Yea the fact this game is their big title for the holidays i kinda hoped it would be more than what it is. It looks fun, but like it could have been so much more. Feels like the Zelda team was less involved than i thought.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Sorry, I don't want to read any reviews just in-case; is the story just random then? It doesn't really have any baring on the main game and won't really setup the fabled trilogy that we were hoping for?

All i'm gonna say is that Age of Calamity doesn't lead to Botw's story.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Reviews are looking pretty great actually.

I almost never take part in these threads, but I am so hyped for this game. I've been finishing up the DLC for BotW as a lead up. I'm interested to see the story for myself.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am liking these reviews! Hyped!

There's only one spoiler I'm interested in knowing going off of the demo that pertains to the ending and I'll ask it here if anyones able to answer

Do the Champions still die at the end? All that timey whimey with the baby guardian seems very noncannon

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I have waited for more reviews to come in, and it still totally seems a solid 8/10 game
Happy about it

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017

There's only one spoiler I'm interested in knowing going off of the demo that pertains to the ending and I'll ask it here if anyones able to answer

Do the Champions still die at the end? All that timey whimey with the baby guardian seems very noncannon

No

Oct 25, 2017
GameXplain led me astray! They seemed so certain this wasn't messing with canon. Still curious enough to play it, especially since I really enjoyed the demo a lot. But ultimately, a bit bummed this doesn't have an actual bearing on the main series.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently they live.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
So basically it's 65 but got high review for being Nintendo / Zelda.

/s

Or the game is a sure 90 but got low scores for being a musou game and bad framerates.

Metro GameCentral (6/10):

"The best Dynasty Warriors style game ever made, which means it's slightly north of mediocre, with simplistic combat, weak storytelling, and a whole lot of repetition."

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the way the story was marketed versus what it actually is, is almost Halo 5-levels of misleading. Thank god there was a demo for this.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Frustrated that Aonuma would outright say that this tells THE story about what happened during the calamity. Clearly it ginned up plenty of interest from non warriors game fans, but if it truly isn't that then wtf?

is this just a case where most reviewers aren't elbow deep in botw Lore/theory-crafting and less in tune with Fujibayashi's grand plans? Are they missing anything in there where this game is alerting us the existence of certain pivotal characters who simply remained behind a curtain and laid low in actual canon but don't in AoC?

Sep 9, 2020
Frustrated that Aonuma would outright say that this tells THE story about what happened during the calamity. Clearly it ginned up plenty of interest from non warriors game fans, but if it truly isn't that then wtf?

is this just a case where most reviewers aren't elbow deep in botw Lore/theory-crafting and less in tune with Fujibayashi's grand plans? Are they missing anything in there where this game is alerting us the existence of certain pivotal characters who simply remained behind a curtain and laid low in actual canon but don't in AoC?
I've been watching footage of the first five chapters, and the way Zelda meets the Champions is COMPLETELY different than how it happened in The Champions' Ballad. This game's plot definitely retcons parts of BotW's memories. Not sure how reviewers missed this.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Honestly the way the story was marketed versus what it actually is, is almost Halo 5-levels of misleading. Thank god there was a demo for this.

I mean, the demo is part of the marketing for the game and it revealed the twist well before the game's release. Had this game had a longer period of time between release and announcement I'd be more inclined to agree.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I pretty much add like 5 points to musou metacritic scores because let's be honest, the genre doesn't get the respect that it should. Not saying these games are the pinnacle of game design but many of them are great ass games and this is looking to be another great ass musou. Can't wait!

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I pretty much add like 5 points to musou metacritic scores because let's be honest, the genre doesn't get the respect that it should. Not saying these games are the pinnacle of game design but many of them are great ass games and this is looking to be another great ass musou. Can't wait!

Yeah, shit like this is embarrassing

The best Dynasty Warriors style game ever made, which means it's slightly north of mediocre
- Metro GameCentral (score:60)

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I know people like to joke about this, but if a regular Dynasty Warriors game came out in this state it absolutely would have scored lower than 79.

With a huge roster of characters with unique, expansive and varied movesets? With performance issues on a few certain stages only? I agree that the performance issues should knock the score down a bit and that a 9 seems high, but I think the game deserves to be in the 80-90 range.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I know people like to joke about this, but if a regular Dynasty Warriors game came out in this state it absolutely would have scored lower than 79.
To be fair, any game from a beloved franchise would score lower if it wasn't part of said beloved franchise.

But the license is part of the game's quality. If It enhances the experience, than that should be reflected in the scores