• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are quite a few things about Disney classics that fascinate me. Some of it's storytelling/character stuff, but it's primarily on the animation front. There are effects and techniques that are used in these pre-renaissance times are still just extremely uniquely stunning to me. I love a lot of the renaissance stuff too, with movies like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King being absurd feats of animation that I don't believe will ever be topped.

But I don't think there's anything that sums up this love that I'm trying to describe, and really my love for animation and cinema in general, than the character of Maleficent in 1959's Sleeping Beauty.

I could watch her all day. Fuck I could watch just that scene alone all day. Her design is stunning. Equal parts terrifying as she is beautiful, with a presence that could stop Satan in his tracks. Her characterization and absolutely perfect voice acting from Eleanor Audley somehow match the insanely high quality of her design. With a chin that's generally always held high, a type of awareness that tells you to your faces she's toying with you, a blazing neon green aura that evokes elements that seem familiar yet foreign in their horror, and a voice that can serenade you in one moment and break your spine in the next. She's a character that is realized so fully that if you watch her enough you can skip dinner.

Oh, and we haven't even gotten to the dragon yet.

This entire sequence has some of my favorite effects in cinema history. From the fucking dope as shit whirlpool looking thing she uses to transport herself to infront of the Prince, her dragon transformation, and just the dragon itself and the effects that go along with it. I've never really liked dragons. Shenron's really my only exception and he barely qualifies as a typical one. But I fucking adore her dragon. Something about it's design just does....everything for me. That fucking perfect green and black/purple pallet, it's shape, and just the effects...god the effects.

I love her. I think she's one of the greatest animated achievements period. Funny thing is, I really don't even like the movie Sleeping Beauty that much. Basically every scene without her I could take or leave, which is like 80% of the movie. But she's just so incredible that it's impossible not to take notice. I'll watch the movie that I don't care for 80% of just to get some glimpses of her.

Brilliant.

Also I don't care about Angelina Jolie I'm sorry I actually actively hate that shit and think it just makes her worse. Please let's not mention it and act like it never happened.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The art direction in Sleeping Beauty is stunning to this day. Those stylized backgrounds are perfect! Not a great film though.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
That's what you get when you match ten years work from some of the greatest animators who ever lived and a fantastic VA performance.

SB is amazing. It has a lot of weakness in script and shouldn't be as good as it is, but it has a fantastic dreamlike vibe that just makes me rewatch it again and again. I'm never sure whether Sleeping Beauty or Castle of Cagliostro is my favourite animated film ever made.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
now she's an antihero who found a secret society of other Maleficents. And the story you like is now canonically propaganda.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Maleficient is probably my favorite Disney villain design too. Her silhouette and her color palette are just perfect, along with animations. There's also something about the line work on the characters in Sleeping Beauty that is just so damn pleasing.

The only real gripe I have about modern Disney movies is that villians dont get enough of the spotlight. They're often a surprise or they're more complicated. I just love pure evil designs of the classic villians.

Cruella de Vil's introduction is one of my favorite villian scenes.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
It's my favorite animated film ever. Absolutely beautiful to this day. I was this close to naming my first daughter Aurora

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
It's my favorite animated film ever. Absolutely beautiful to this day. I was this close to naming my first daughter Aurora
I *did* name my first daughter Aurora. Though I was doing it because I had been angling for the name of a goddess and didn't think anything of my wife agreeing to it entirely too fast. I hadn't seen the movie since I was seven and thought the princess name was Briar Rose (you know, like it actually is in the story), so I didn't know what I was getting into, and now we're awash in Sleeping Beauty crap.

Ironically, mine has a pathological hatred of princess-y things.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Might be the best animated film and villain Western animation has produced. Made over 60(!) years ago and it holds up beautifully.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Maleficent does deserve her own animated movie but none of that "heroic"
crap but a movie where she's just being a dingus starring her.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Time to get into Kingdom Hearts, OP

The fact that she's just MAD petty and that kicks off the entire story was always kinda hilarious. I never really needed more of a reason for her being the way she is beyond that.

She also has one of the coolest animatronics
aMurphy%2527s+Fire.jpg

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
I love the percussion hits as she attacks. Gives a really cool style, especially with the excellent soundtrack.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
You have to be a badass if your name is Maleficent. I thought she was also well done in the first Kingdom Hearts game as well.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Sleeping Beauty is and likely will forever be the most gorgeous 2D animated film ever created. I loved the film as a child but I found tons of newfound admiration rewatching it as an adult. Sure, the story is a tad slow but everything about it is just pitch perfect and Maleficent is a huge part of it. Just an amazing villain design, perfectly realized

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
now she's an antihero who found a secret society of other Maleficents. And the story you like is now canonically propaganda.
Yep... Within that universe per say.

I still dislike antihero Maleficent. I'm glad OG Maleficent still exists in Kingdom Hearts, I just wish she had more of a presence or threat like she did in the first game.

I just want a Maleficent cartoon show that takes her OG design, amazing art design and pieces. And makes a story of her return but focuses solely on her point of view as the "hero" but she is strictly the villain. Not a anti-hero, not a hero, a villain.

Same, OP:

Revali-s-Maleficents.jpg

The bigger ones are all a little over three feet tall. Couldn't fit the rest in the image, but I have a few statues and other things as well.

.... I want to ask. But I don't want to know want to know the answer.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Time to get into Kingdom Hearts, OP

The fact that she's just MAD petty and that kicks off the entire story was always kinda hilarious. I never really needed more of a reason for her being the way she is beyond that.

She also has one of the coolest animatronics
aMurphy%2527s+Fire.jpg

Was that the one that malfunctioned and looked metal AF lol?

... I... have several questions.

I mean, a shelf full of Maleficent dragons is a hell of a lot more badass than a shelf of anime figures in my opinion.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
There are quite a few things about Disney classics that fascinate me. Some of it's storytelling/character stuff, but it's primarily on the animation front. There are effects and techniques that are used in these pre-renaissance times are still just extremely uniquely stunning to me. I love a lot of the renaissance stuff too, with movies like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King being absurd feats of animation that I don't believe will ever be topped.

But I don't think there's anything that sums up this love that I'm trying to describe, and really my love for animation and cinema in general, than the character of Maleficent in 1959's Sleeping Beauty.

I could watch her all day. Fuck I could watch just that scene alone all day. Her design is stunning. Equal parts terrifying as she is beautiful, with a presence that could stop Satan in his tracks. Her characterization and absolutely perfect voice acting from Eleanor Audley somehow match the insanely high quality of her design. With a chin that's generally always held high, a type of awareness that tells you to your faces she's toying with you, a blazing neon green aura that evokes elements that seem familiar yet foreign in their horror, and a voice that can serenade you in one moment and break your spine in the next. She's a character that is realized so fully that if you watch her enough you can skip dinner.

Oh, and we haven't even gotten to the dragon yet.

This entire sequence has some of my favorite effects in cinema history. From the fucking dope as shit whirlpool looking thing she uses to transport herself to infront of the Prince, her dragon transformation, and just the dragon itself and the effects that go along with it. I've never really liked dragons. Shenron's really my only exception and he barely qualifies as a typical one. But I fucking adore her dragon. Something about it's design just does....everything for me. That fucking perfect green and black/purple pallet, it's shape, and just the effects...god the effects.

I love her. I think she's one of the greatest animated achievements period. Funny thing is, I really don't even like the movie Sleeping Beauty that much. Basically every scene without her I could take or leave, which is like 80% of the movie. But she's just so incredible that it's impossible not to take notice. I'll watch the movie that I don't care for 80% of just to get some glimpses of her.

Brilliant.

Also I don't care about Angelina Jolie I'm sorry I actually actively hate that shit and think it just makes her worse. Please let's not mention it and act like it never happened.

I think Sleeping Beauty is possibly, still, the high point artistically, for the studio. Everyone was at the top of their game and Eyvind Earle's stylistic choices are timeless.

I really recommend watching the below video, if you aren't already familiar with it. It's a great little insight into what made some of the artistic giants of Classic Disney "tick". Well worth 15 minutes of your time :)

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sleeping Beauty is possibly, still, the high point artistically, for the studio. Everyone was at the top of their game and Eyvind Earle's stylistic choices are timeless.

I really recommend watching the below video, if you aren't already familiar with it. It's a great little insight into what made some of the artistic giants of Classic Disney "tick". Well worth 15 minutes of your time :)

Yup. And if anyone wants to go further I recommend the book "Walt Disney's Nine Old Men and the Art of Animation"