Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I'm an almost 40 year-old white man and I don't handle change well, but I'm trying. Recently I've appreciated the benefits of gaming with headphones and it seems like there will be neat benefits to playing with headphones next gen.

My monitor is nothing amazing: LG 32GK650F-B - 32" (1440p). I have DT770 Pro (250 ohm) and a magni3+ with a DAC purchase in the near future.

My TV is also nothing amazing, a 55" TCL P607. I've never really been blown away by this TV like I'd hoped. I also have a modest 7.1 setup with some Chane speakers up front, Polk surrounds and a BIC F12 sub.

My main concern is giving up the surround sound. I know there are options for surround sound DACs, but I'm skeptical of them. At the same time, we have small kids now and most times we watch movies without them the volume is down so low we have captions on, so the surround sound system is largely wasted.

I would kind of love to get rid of it and all the wire molding and boxes everywhere and get a nice soundbar system more in line with our present reality and then play my PS4 on the monitor with headphones but I'm just not sure I'm brave enough to make the switch.

How many of you play consoles at a computer desk with a monitor? Is it worth it for a great headphones experience ? Will I miss the surround sound?

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If you have your PS4 on your desk, the biggest concern will be the nose of the console.

My PS4 Pro on the desk is unbearable by how loud it is, and I am forced to use headphones for some games when I'd rather use my speakers

This is just a "me" thing cause I don't like wearing headphones. But if you like it,then it may be perfect for you. Especially since headphones will most like have good sound

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm an almost 40 year-old white man and I don't handle change well, but I'm trying. Recently I've appreciated the benefits of gaming with headphones and it seems like there will be neat benefits to playing with headphones next gen.

My monitor is nothing amazing: LG 32GK650F-B - 32" (1440p). I have DT770 Pro (250 ohm) and a magni3+ with a DAC purchase in the near future.

My TV is also nothing amazing, a 55" TCL P607. I've never really been blown away by this TV like I'd hoped. I also have a modest 7.1 setup with some Chane speakers up front, Polk surrounds and a BIC F12 sub.

My main concern is giving up the surround sound. I know there are options for surround sound DACs, but I'm skeptical of them. At the same time, we have small kids now and most times we watch movies without them the volume is down so low we have captions on, so the surround sound system is largely wasted.

I would kind of love to get rid of it and all the wire molding and boxes everywhere and get a nice soundbar system more in line with our present reality and then play my PS4 on the monitor with headphones but I'm just not sure I'm brave enough to make the switch.

How many of you play consoles at a computer desk with a monitor? Is it worth it for a great headphones experience ? Will I miss the surround sound?
Ever since I started having back issues 2 years ago I can't sit on our couch so I've been playing PS4, XB1, and Switch games on my PC monitor. I don't miss my 5.1.2 Atmos setup at all really, nor do I miss the 65" screen.

Just make sure you have a decent set of headphones. I looked into a surround sound DAC but decided against it.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Hi Op. Currently I'm playing my PS4 with my 23" 1080p LG monitor. My TV HDMI connection died, so I don't have any other choice but to play with my PC Monitor. I use my crappy logitec PC speakers connected to the monitor. Somehow I realized that there is a 3.5mm audio jack behind my monitor. At first playing in a "tiny" monitor need time to adapt (my previous TV was 55"). But eventually I'm getting used to it. Now I'm saving for a nice 4K tv for the next gen console.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
I'm also 40 years old and I do not know what's so scary about it :)

I play PS4 on my computer monitor, a basic 22 inch Benq 1080p monitor (https://www.benq.com/en-ap/monitor/stylish/gw2280.html) that I bought for my PC a couple of years ago. Nothing exciting, but I like the design and the VA screen has a nice contrast level. And it has an earphones socket, which makes it easy to connect it to some nice computer speakers. Sometimes I prefer to play there than in the main TV, because during the summer there is so much light in the living room that it makes it hard to see what's going on. The room where the PC is can be made dark more easily.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It'll probably look signifincantly blurrier on your monitor considering it's gonna be pumping out a 1080p signal and then stretching it to 1440p - which doesn't fit. You'll be getting a stretched image.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I'm currently PS4 gaming on 1440p G Sync Acer and use Sony's Gold Headset. It's great. Don't be scared for christ's sake. Shame Sony don't let my Pro run at 1440p on it. What's that all about? Will the PS5?

Last edited:

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Try it! It's great! I play on my 27" 3840x2160 monitor with my nice headphones and it's great!

1440p is not ideal because neither 1080p or 2160p scales evenly to it but maybe you won't notice.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
My consoles are all connected to my 27 inch 4K monitor. I don't keep any on my desk (They are on separate, portable shelves), however. I like gaming on a monitor much more w/ headphones. I am not commandeering the TV and not making any noise.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
It'll probably look signifincantly blurrier on your monitor considering it's gonna be pumping out a 1080p signal and then upscaling to 1440p - which doesn't fit. You'll be getting a stretched image.
My 1440p monitor looks fantastically sharp with my Ps4 Pro. Which does surprise me as if I run 1080p res on it with my PC - it is blurry and doesn't look great. PS4 is HDMI - PC is Displayport. Strange - but I'm not complaining.

Could it be downscaling from 4K to 1440p rather than upscaling from 1080p?

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I've been playing on a monitor during Covid to let my wife have the living room. Fan noise hasn't been much of an issue, but losing 4K and HDR was the biggest blow. No such thing as a black on my Dell monitor, only shades of grey. Colors are pretty muted too. I looked into an 4K HDR monitor and decided it wasn't worth the money.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My 1440p monitor looks fantastically sharp with my Ps4 Pro. Which does surprise me as if I run 1080p res on it with my PC - it is blurry and doesn't look great. PS4 is HDMI - PC is Displayport. Strange - but I'm not complaining.

Could it be downscaling from 4K to 1440p rather than upscaling from 1080p?

If your monitor is capable of recieving a 4k signal then downsampling it then, yeah, maybe. A lot of monitors won't though. So if the console can't see it as a 4k screen it'll have that option greyed out and only allow you to output at 1080p.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'd appreciate if Sony could confirm whether or not the PS5 can output at 1440p - this was a huge oversight with the PS4 Pro.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll probably look signifincantly blurrier on your monitor considering it's gonna be pumping out a 1080p signal and then upscaling to 1440p - which doesn't fit. You'll be getting a stretched image.
Don't most monitors output lower resolution content in a boxed area?

Like this.

I do hope the PS5 supports 1440p output, I'd upgrade my 21" 1080p monitor if it did.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Don't most monitors output lower resolution content in a boxed area?

Like this.

I do hope the PS5 supports 1440p output, I'd upgrade my 21" 1080p monitor if it did.

That's an ultrawide, adding borders at the sides. 1440p is the same aspect ration as 1080p/4k. So if it was in a boxed area it'd be boxed all around the edges with a small viewable area in the middle! Never seen that.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's an ultrawide, adding borders at the sides. 1440p is the same aspect ration as 1080p/4k. So if it was in a boxed area it'd be boxed all around the edges with a small viewable area in the middle! Never seen that.
Yeah, that's what I'd expect to happen for a monitor since IIRC most don't have built in scalers.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's what I'd expect to happen for a monitor since IIRC most don't have built in scalers.

If I send a 720p or 900p output to my monitor (which is 1080p) it just stretches it to fill the screen. I wouldn't even say upscaling (I know I did earlier - I probably shouldn't have). It's not doing any processing. It just stretches the image to fill the screen. That's why it always looks mega blurry.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I send a 720p or 900p output to my monitor (which is 1080p) it just stretches it to fill the screen. I wouldn't even say upscaling (I know I did earlier - I probably shouldn't have). It's not doing any processing. It just stretches the image to fill the screen. That's why it always looks mega blurry.
Huh, I wonder if there is a way to prevent that.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm an almost 40 year-old white man and I'm [scared to give up] the surround sound?

Sound should surround you. This what God intended when He created your ears with all their gorgeous curves and ridges

Yes, Cerny is working to change that with PS5 and maybe one day, like he says, you can get your ears scanned and have some machine learning algorithms deduce exactly how to trick all that exquisitely sculpted cartilage on the sides of your head, but that is all theoretical and in the future.

Until then, I would suggest soundproofing your kids room (or media room, whichever is smallest) with some sound-absorbing foam. It's shockingly affordable!

Take your pick here starting at $25.

Bonus! Kids love it and it protects them if they ever hit their heads on the wall when falling, tripping, horseplaying, etc.

Also, it allows them to have a place for practicing music instruments, singing, listening to loud music when hanging with friends without bothering you and the missus when you're napping. It's truly multi-purpose. Foam will also help insulate the room and partially pay for itself in electricity savings (heating + AC costs).

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

I tried to switch from a middling $1200 ELAC + Pioneer + Outlaw 5.1 system to headphones (Because who wants to have 6 speakers + 4 on the ceiling + subwoofer? That's the end game now with Atmos).

The result? After much online research and several pairs of (pricey!) headphones, the headphones were all infinitely inferior to my Audyssey-calibrated setup for surround sound. AND they were all more uncomfortable than not having anything on my ears after a few hours!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I moved my Switch dock to one of my 2 desktop monitors with a hdmi switcher and it was the best idea I ever had. Having one screen for switch and one for internet/work/whatever is the best thing. HDMI CEC or however it is named handles all the input adjustment when I turn the switch on and off.

I'm pretty into the idea of moving my PS4 up here too, just haven't committed to it yet. People might miss the blu ray player downstairs if I do.

Macnair

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also 40 years old and I play PS4 on my computer monitor, which is nothing exciting. A normal, 22 inch Benq 1080p monitor (https://www.benq.com/en-ap/monitor/stylish/gw2280.html) that I bought for my PC a couple of years ago. Nothing exciting, but the I like the design and the VA screen has a nice contrast level. And it has an earphones socket, which makes it easy to connect it to some nice computer speakers. Sometimes I prefer to play there than in the main TV, because during the summer there is so much light in the living room that it makes it hard to see what's going on. The room where the PC is can be made dark more easily.

Got the same monitor but the 24 inch model and IPS screen. Once I connected and played some games oh man it was awesome. Having a snappy screen (response time) is like a generation leap for me or maybe my tv is just shitty.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I had my PS4 on my desk for a while on my 1440P monitor and it was pretty great really.

Downside was that I could not play PS4 on my bed anymore so I moved it back to my TV furniture.

OP
OP
Exit Music

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Sound should surround you. This what God intended when He created your ears with all their gorgeous curves and ridges

Yes, Cerny is working to change that with PS5 and maybe one day, like he says, you can get your ears scanned and have some machine learning algorithms deduce exactly how to trick all that exquisitely sculpted cartilage on the sides of your head, but that is all theoretical and in the future.

Until then, I would suggest soundproofing your kids room (or media room, whichever is smallest) with some sound-absorbing foam. It's shockingly affordable!

Take your pick here starting at $25.

Bonus! Kids love it and it protects them if they ever hit their heads on the wall when falling, tripping, horseplaying, etc.

Also, it allows them to have a place for practicing music instruments, singing, listening to loud music when hanging with friends without bothering you and the missus when you're napping. It's truly multi-purpose. Foam will also help insulate the room and partially pay for itself in electricity savings (heating + AC costs).

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

I tried to switch from a middling $1200 ELAC + Pioneer + Outlaw 5.1 system to headphones (Because who wants to have 6 speakers + 4 on the ceiling + subwoofer? That's the end game now with Atmos).

The result? After much online research and several pairs of (pricey!) headphones, the headphones were all infinitely inferior to my Audyssey-calibrated setup for surround sound. AND they were all more uncomfortable than not having anything on my ears after a few hours!

I am intrigued by the sound absorbing panels but isn't that expensive to do a whole wall/room?

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I can't sit on our couch and I don't miss my 5.1.2 Atmos setup at all really, nor do I miss the 65" screen.

Just make sure you have a decent set of headphones.

Which 5.1.2 atmost set did you get, if I may ask?

Did you have those speakers that bounce sound off the ceiling to emulate ceiling-mounted speakers or the real celing-mounted deal? Did your AV offer Audyssey v1/2 or equivalent calibration?

I ask because many people don't calibrate their 5.1 setups and don't get the full effect they should be getting, and it's a real shame! Audio is always getting short-changed.

Also, if I may ask, what headphones are you using?

Thanks!

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
My second PS4 is connected to my monitor in my bedroom and it's fine. Use open back headphones. They're good for gaming. Also, your age has nothing to do with anything.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Which 5.1.2 atmost set did you get, if I may ask?

Did you have those speakers that bounce sound off the ceiling to emulate ceiling-mounted speakers or the real celing-mounted deal? Did your AV offer Audyssey v1/2 or equivalent calibration?

I ask because many people don't calibrate their 5.1 setups and don't get the full effect they should be getting, and it's a real shame! Audio is always getting short-changed.

Also, if I may ask, what headphones are you using?

Thanks!
I have a Denon X2400h receiver with the Pioneer Andrew Jones speaker set (and a different sub, can't remember which sub I bought but it's huge and rated much higher than the Andrew Jones set). It's been calibrated using the receiver's calibration step. The atmos speakers are the upward firing ones due to not being able to mount speakers in my ceiling because of a rather large ceiling fan that blocks where the speakers would need to go for optimal placement.

For headphones I use a couple different pairs. I have a pair of Sony MDR-1A closed back headphones, and a pair of Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee open back headphones. I enjoy both for different reasons, the Sony's have a more full bass, while the Sennheiser's give an excellent balanced sound and better soundstage.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I have a Denon X2400h receiver with the Pioneer Andrew Jones speaker set (and a different sub, can't remember which sub I bought but it's huge and rated much higher than the Andrew Jones set). It's been calibrated using the receiver's calibration step. The atmos speakers are the upward firing ones due to not being able to mount speakers in my ceiling because of a rather large ceiling fan that blocks where the speakers would need to go for optimal placement.

For headphones I use a couple different pairs. I have a pair of Sony MDR-1A closed back headphones, and a pair of Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee open back headphones. I enjoy both for different reasons, the Sony's have a more full bass, while the Sennheiser's give an excellent balanced sound and better soundstage.

Great headphones both!

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I have two 24" monitors next to each other on my desk. One is my PC and the other is for all my consoles. They're hooked up to mid-range Creative 2.0 speakers. I have never used my living room TV for gaming. Sitting that far away is just weird to me. I guess growing up gaming on PC does that to ya. I've never had any issues with using a desk and a PC monitor.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
I switched about a year ago. I now play on a 24" monitor with studio headphones and feel that my gaming experience is way better than when I was playing on my TV. It's so much more immersive and I don't have to worry about loud sounds bothering my neighbors. Furthermore the headphones (closed) isolate most outside noises.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what your age or race has to do with it lmao

Monitor gaming is my preference too, and I find headphones to offer a more intimate experience over something like a 5.1 surround sound system. Has the added benefit of better blocking out the jet engines of the PS4 too, so a win win.

Give it a shot and see if you like it.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I play all my consoles on a 27in 4K monitor and haven't once wanted to go back to the big screen.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've been doing all my gaming on a PC monitor and headphones for the past 5-6 years now. These days I use my PC and my PS4 is in the closet. But I did spend a good number of years using my PS4 with a monitor and it was great. With a decent pair of headphones (Audio Technica AD900x and AKG K601), I had a great experience.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
I currently play on a 24" monitor.

Looking to upgrade for next gen but I see lots of comments about how you need a certain size before 4K is worth it.

I see lots of you in here have 27" ones - that'd be about the perfect size for the space I have on this desk.

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot conceive playing my consoles on a TV. It's probably because I grew up as a PC gamer, but I've never played a console on a TV.

My XBX, PS4 Pro, Switch and PSTV are all connected to the same monitor as my PC via an HDMI switcher. My monitor's sound is routed through my PC, so I get both console and PC sound through my headphones.

OP
OP
Exit Music

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
That's really interesting that the PS4 can't output 1440p! Bummer. I'll have to check it out and see how it does. Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm excited to try it out. Now I just need to decide on a DAC!!

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I played on my desk for years. It is no different to using a TV if you have a nice monitor. If you don't, that's the only real issue. you can also just... have a surround sound setup near your desk. I had one for years.

OP
OP
Exit Music

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I played on my desk for years. It is no different to using a TV if you have a nice monitor. If you don't, that's the only real issue. you can also just... have a surround sound setup near your desk. I had one for years.

Yeah, that's true. I guess the appeal for me would be getting rid of the speakers and wires and stuff if I went away from surround sound, though. I think I may try it out tonight and see how I like it.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still perplexed why Sony won't get us 1440p support. Whenever I try it it looks noticeably blurry due to the pixel stretching. I REALLY hope the PS5 has support.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't use a "monitor," but I primarily game on a 24 inch monitor sat on my coffee table with my Xbox One X or PS4 Pro sitting on the floor underneath even though I have a budget 4K HDR tv as my "main living room" TV (my couch is too far away from my TV, and I want to be comfortable while playing games, especially long ones).

I use an Astro Mixamp hooked up to either console that I'm playing and it's powered via USB from a computer, so I can have podcast audio/(or some tv show or whatever) piped to my headphones along with my console's game audio and adjust the balance with the voice/game knob in case there's a part where I need to be more focused on the audio in-game for a part.

I haven't played with a surround sound setup since like... 2009? 2010? So it's not like I miss it and the Xbox One games that do Atmos will be present in the headphones so I'm not missing the positional stuff. I know it's not the same as having the actual sound blasting at you, but I like to be considerate for my neighbors since I moved into an apartment.