• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Are you barefoot on a carpet?
Fists with your toes!
Its actually crazy how much little details you only noticed after the 10th times lol. Like the fact that one of the terrorist is actually french and even speaks french. Or how when john first enter the building they show you the complete lack of any kind of protection but also how everything in the building is controlled by one system.
Such a fucking good movie.
It's a rare movie where nearly every line relates to something later on. Seriously. Nearly every line.
Watched it today and the thing I learned was that it is based on a book, and that book is "Nothing Lasts Forever" by Roderick Thorp. And I am going to track down that book, and it's precursor "The Detective", and read them.
It has some major differences. Like he's a lot older and visiting his daughter. He even gets the number of the flight attendant, which they pseudo reference at the start of the movie. There are a few other book references like one of the architectural models and the way McClane tracks the floors which is briefly seen in the film but a very explicit scene in the books. There are some big differences but then I'd be spoiling stuff....I also read the book Die Hard 2 was based on. I was a big Die Hard fan as a kid. Lol. I got the crew jacket from Die Hard With A Vengeance as a birthday gift once. I should clean it. It's a bit big but pretty warm.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it today and the thing I learned was that it is based on a book, and that book is "Nothing Lasts Forever" by Roderick Thorp. And I am going to track down that book, and it's precursor "The Detective", and read them.

What's truly bizarre is that they were forced by contract to offer Die Hard to Frank Sinatra first because he was the star of the film adaptation of The Detective.

It has some major differences. Like he's a lot older and visiting his daughter. He even gets the number of the flight attendant, which they pseudo reference at the start of the movie. There are a few other book references like one of the architectural models and the way McClane tracks the floors which is briefly seen in the film but a very explicit scene in the books. There are some big differences but then I'd be spoiling stuff....I also read the book Die Hard 2 was based on. I was a big Die Hard fan as a kid. Lol. I got the crew jacket from Die Hard With A Vengeance as a birthday gift once. I should clean it. It's a bit big but pretty warm.

Yeah this was me as well as a child of the '80s. Read both "Nothing Lasts Forever" and "58 Minutes".

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
You ask for miracles, Theo, I give you the efffff beeeee iiiiiii.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
McTiernan and Jan De Bont were an absolute perfect match. Their work in Die Hard and Hunt For Red October is just astounding.

What happened to De Bont after his directing career fizzled anyway?

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Its actually crazy how much little details you only noticed after the 10th times lol. Like the fact that one of the terrorist is actually french and even speaks french. Or how when john first enter the building they show you the complete lack of any kind of protection but also how everything in the building is controlled by one system.
Such a fucking good movie.

The more I hear about the book, the more I sort of expect a pseudo remake happening with an older McClane. I'd enjoy it far better than another random sequel set somewhere else in the globe anyway.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The more I hear about the book, the more I sort of expect a pseudo remake happening with an older McClane. I'd enjoy it far better than another random sequel set somewhere else in the globe anyway.

Before Disney acquired Fox I imagine there were several pitches at a "proper" Die Hard sequel that recaptures the magic of the original(s). The stumbling block was probably believing that Willis was really ready to step up and give a shit again.

However Disney probably don't care in the slightest. We're more likely to get a Lucy McClane spinoff on Disney+ now.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The credits even call them Big Johnson and Little Johnson.
thatsapenis.JPG

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how much of the first 30 minutes I don't remember.

I also watched last night and if you were to have asked before that how the movie starts, I would have totally missed the first 30 minutes of the movie.

Also Reginald VelJohnson's character arc would not fly today, a former "street cop" now mainly doing "desk cop"-duty because he shot a 13-year old kid because he thought he had a real gun.

Especially because it's supposed to be a sympathetic backstory and his arc is learning how to kill again.

But at least he's not a white cop lol...

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The jokes about California early on bothered me a lot more than the two Johnsons thing, which never felt like a racial joke to me.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not enough is said about how the film satirizes macho bullshit by having completely hot-headed authority figures that are totally ineffectual while having a hero that it allows to be vulnerable and actually have recognizable human emotions, especially in an era where movies like Commando were the standard.
I don't really think John McClane is a satire of 80s macho bullshit lol. The guns-blazing, rogue-cop-who-plays-by-his-own-rules character while the ostensibly 'real' authorities sit on the sidelines uselessly IS the standard macho bullshit. I mean hell, Reginald VelJohnson's big coming-into-his-own moment is when he finally gets to shoot a bad guy himself!

Before Disney acquired Fox I imagine there were several pitches at a "proper" Die Hard sequel that recaptures the magic of the original(s). The stumbling block was probably believing that Willis was really ready to step up and give a shit again.

However Disney probably don't care in the slightest. We're more likely to get a Lucy McClane spinoff on Disney+ now.
The director of Live Free or Die Hard was trying for years to get a Die Hard: Year One movie going but it never took. I think it's dead for good now, post-merger.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Also man the movie is actually quite gory especially when one of the terrorist get his knee completely ripped appart by a machine gun.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Saw it yesterday for the first time. Will be a mandatory for me to watch it every Christmas going forward.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I think it might be the action movie with the best music choices. It litteraly has the perfect bg music for every single scenes. Also how many terrorist are still alive at the end? I counted 2 but Im not to sure. Theo is def still alive.

Last edited:

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really think John McClane is a satire of 80s macho bullshit lol. The guns-blazing, rogue-cop-who-plays-by-his-own-rules character while the ostensibly 'real' authorities sit on the sidelines uselessly IS the standard macho bullshit. I mean hell, Reginald VelJohnson's big coming-into-his-own moment is when he finally gets to shoot a bad guy himself!
I was amused / interested that John McLane himself name-drops both Rambo and Arnold Schwarzenegger, in Die Hard.

I think it might be the action movie with the best music choices. It litteraly has the perfect bg music for every single scenes. Also how many terrorist are still alive at the end? I counted 2 but Im not to sure. Theo is def still alive.
All the incidental music was good. But I love Beethoven's 9th, and enjoyed the way Die Hard darkened it, played with it, then let it rip. Good stuff.