• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Is this normal? Saw my dad tonight and I don't know why but I wanted to hug him so bad but I realized I've never done it and I'm 34 years old. Everytime I see my mom we hug like 3 times.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Toxic masculinity can be a bitch
Not in my family tho, my dad love me
Go in for the hug before it's too late

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well just hug him next time you greet him.

I didn't say I love him until a couple of years ago where I started saying it as frequently as with my mum. He responded in kind and it was refreshing.

Jan 7, 2021
Eh try it. May feel weird at first but if it ain't for you guys then it's all good. Better to know now then when he's gone and always wondering.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All families are different. My wife's dad didn't say I love you to her until she was in college, now they're very affectionate. I've hugged and kissed my dad for years, can't help but give the big guy an ol bear hug every time I see him, it's just instinct

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
French people aren't big on hugs so I don't think I've ever hugged mine either, it would be weird. I haven't hugged my mom since I was a kid either.

I don't think it's strange, affection can be shown in a million ways. Just do what feels right.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ive hugged my dad, kissed my dad, rubbed his feet, popped his back acne

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Is this normal? Saw my dad tonight and I don't know why but I wanted to hug him so bad but I realized I've never done it and I'm 34 years old. Everytime I see my mom we hug like 3 times.

I never used to hug my dad. It wasn't until his last days that I hugged him. If you want to, you should. There may be a day you wish you would have. I wish I did more often.

Cubaneyes

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i am literally the only person in my family that hugs and expresses any love to anything lol...its been hard not gonna lie

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I've never hugged my dad either. I come from a non affectionate family so it's totally normal for me.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
I got a big bear hug and kiss on the cheek for my pops whenever we greet or say farewell.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Same. He's an asshole though so 🤷‍♂️

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never really hugged my dad. He unexpectedly passed away a couple years back. Hug your dad.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Just be cute and affectionate to disarm as you go in for that dad love

It's something you have to work at. Build a routine and keep taking that initiative. I recently had success getting my dad to add a second arm to his hugs. 🥲 Next target, the bear hug!

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I never hugged my dad until I was in my 30s.

If you break the ice, you'll be hugging like we do now on every occasion. Start with a short one, but work your way up to at at least 8 seconds. If you want to make it manly, include some firm pats on the back.

(edit) You want until a pandemic to want to hug? Make sure you're both fully vaccinated :D

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
How about when you were younger? Have you seen him hug anyone or even any of your siblings if you have any?

People may show affection in different ways. Could even be that you're an adult and he respects your space or may not feel comfortable just hugging you randomly. When I hit my teens I felt a bit uncomfortable with frequent hugs and pecks on the cheeks from my parents, but appreciate it now as an adult. You could always ask your mom about it.

FWIW, I wish I could hug mine again, but it's been over 11 years since he passed away.

Cbrun44

It seems pretty normal. When I was a kid I probably hugged him. But definitely not since I was very little. My dad passed over a decade back and while I miss him greatly I still don't really have any desire to hug him.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't hugged a relative since probably the late 80s. We get along fine, so it's not anything like that.

Jan 11, 2018
I shared a group hug with both my parents the other day. It was the most amazing feeling I've had in a long, long time.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Hugging is better but its not the worst thing in the world if you don't hug.

People express themselves and their affection in a lot of different ways.

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
My Dad and I had a thing where we recreated the hug to high five from the movie Step Brothers whenever we parted. He lived 7 hours away and we always hugged that way. He passed a few years ago and I miss him dearly.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Depends, my father and I had a regular but somewhat distant relationship (he was difficult to work with tbh), in fact there was a period where we didn't speak to each other for like 3 years after a certain incident. I do remember the one time I hugged him when it mattered though, it was a few days before he passed away from cancer, after we sat down and had a long talk like we had never had before.

Oct 25, 2017
Italian family so… hugs and kisses for everyone who is even slightly associated with a family member. Super weird to me OP.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
My dad was oldschool, we never hugged. He died suddenly when I was 21 and he was many miles away on a boat. Go hug him next chance you get.