Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Rather for it's presentation. It's tattooed in my brain.

Starting from the beginning:

*Insert coin*

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"YOU ES AY"

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

www.youtube.com

Street Fighter 1 OST Joe Theme

Composition & Arrangement:Yoshihiro Sakaguchi (坂口 由洋) "Yuukichyans Papa"Stage: USA

"ALLLLL RIGH!"

- YouTube

"WAH STENGHT (inaudible) ALL OVA THE WOLD."

Then of course when you inventible ran out of quarters.

- YouTube

"GAME OVA"

Seriously, this game was magic when it hit the arcades in 1987. The presentation, the music, and sound effects were incredible. Obviously the game play is not good. But once we figured out how to do the dragon punch/fireball, it was only a matter of having enough quarters to beat it. So regardless of the gameplay, I love this game for what it does so well.

How else actually had good memories of Street Fighter (part 1) in the arcade?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The only memory I have is of the horrendous ms-dos port from the age of putting screenshots from the best looking version on the back of the box of the worst looking version.

What the box said I'd get:
lrGsKlK.jpg

What I got:
ukygNlJ.png

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
The only memory I have is of the horrendous ms-dos port from the age of putting screenshots from the best looking version on the back of the box of the worst looking version.

Street Fighter 1 (At least the DOS port) is one of the worst games ever made. A miserable pile of garbage that looks bad and plays worse.

lrGsKlK.jpg

What I got:
ukygNlJ.png

HOLY!

That's awful!

AKA you had to enjoy it for its gameplay. 😬

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

lrGsKlK.jpg

What I got:
ukygNlJ.png
It was pretty amazing growing up in the age of PC ports. I remeber my rudest awakening was wanting this.

and getting this.

Obviously in retrospect the NES version is held in higher regard but as a kid who spent many quarters on the arcade version and was given maybe one or two games a year I was incredibly disappointed at the time.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Gimme those TG16, Fighting Street music tracks, then I'm there with you lol

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of it, all of it. But I played it a lot in a local 7-11 before there was a SFII, so I didn't have a better game to compare it against.

One of my big "Gamer Bucket List" todos is playing a SF1 cab with the punchable buttons.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played SF1 back when it came out. The characters were cool, and it was decent for its time, but I still preferred playing World Karate Championship at home.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Tbh I think Street Fighter 1 is so bad I'm shocked it was even popular.
Maybe just cause there wasn't really anything like it at the time.
I mean it was popular enough that they originally wanted to slap the Street Fighter name onto the original Final Fight but decided against it before release.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Crappy home ports aside it did at least look cool for the time, I could see myself being into it if I was aware of its existence before 2.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
SF1 definitely had a striking aesthetic for its time, and the attract mode of the guy punching the wall is iconic. Shame about the game part being complete doo doo.

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
The TG-16 soundtrack makes me wanna breakdance. We had this version at home! The speech in between matches will always be hilarious.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I beat this game but holy shit what a garbage pile of shit it is lol. No offence to the people who like but man, I don't think I'll ever actually play it again. I have my issues with SF2 but thank fuck that game came around and was the base for the genre instead of SF1.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If you ever get the chance to play the arcade version with the giant pressure sensitive buttons its a trip. That was my first exposure to Street Fighter way back in the day.

ENUHQtBUYAIX0Ca.png

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm glad I beat this game but holy shit what a garbage pile of shit it is lol. No offence to the people who like but man, I don't think I'll ever actually play it again. I have my issues with SF2 but thank fuck that game came around and was the base for the genre instead of SF1.

OG SF2 is quite a slog to play as well.
To me, once you've played Hyper Fighting/Turbo, it's pretty much impossible to go back lol.
SF2 Hyper Fighting & ST are great though.
They gave some of their own issues (CPU blatantly cheating constantly lol) but still a lot of fun to play

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did you know the Turbografx version has an extra ending after you beat it 4 times in a row?

Sep 5, 2021
One day Retsu will return

He has in Shadaloo C.R.I.

That is a section of the Capcom Fighters Network website dedicated to Street Fighter V, featuring extra content related to the game.

Character Guide 010: Retsu | The Character Guides | Activity Reports | CAPCOM:Shadaloo C.R.I.

Retsu To celebrate our 10th entry we're going back to the very first Street Fighter to talk about...

Retsu has a fiery temperament, and his constant struggles with monastic life eventually resulted in him being excommunicated from his temple.
His encounter with a young Ryu made him change his ways however, and he now lives as an ascetic martial artist.
His biggest weakness is candy.
He is friends with Gouken and Dhalsim, and apparently knows something about Oro's past...

restu.jpg

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
but who played the sequel?
No,not Street Fighter 2,but Human Killing Machine?
"a fighting game developed by Tiertex for various home computers as an unofficial sequel to their port of the first Street Fighter, using the same game engine, but different characters to the original Street Fighter. "
48hkm0.jpg

Spoiler: it was terrible :p

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Somebody should hack in a proper versus mode with all the characters playable for a laugh.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe some of you like the OST. It's like audible vomit. Legit hurts my ears listening to it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
When I read that SF2 oral history from Matt Leone years ago on Polygon and they mentioned how the original SF team went on to SNK to make Fatal Fury it made a lot of sense.
Oh dang, thanks for mentioning this! Gonna read this later.

For anyone else who wants to check it out:
www.polygon.com

Street Fighter 2: An Oral History

The history of Street Fighter 2. As told by these who were there.