• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I absolutely love it. I feel like im browsing in a retro game store.

The suggestions for alternatives in this topic are just 🤮

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the NSO app is incredible for me. The treasure trove of content you can access almost instantly at the press of a button is crazy. Everything being available for one fee (that I would pay for online play anyway) is great too. Having such easy access to all that history is something I could only have dreamed during the Wii era when I was paying 10 euros for Majora's Mask. The ownership issue is the one downside that personally doesn't concern me (if Nintendo decides to mess with it my Switch has homebrew anyway).

Like just recently I was in a Kirby mood and boom, played through Dreamland, Adventure, Dreamland 2, Super Star and Dreamland 3 just like that. They were all hanging out in my console, ready to be played.

Last edited:

Great Martinez Jr.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
If you arrange it manually, you can make it look like the pictures people take of their game collections, which can be fun.

Besides that, it's honestly kind of messy, although it doesn't bother me that much. Thank god there are sorting options.

OP
OP
Brazil

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I don't hate it but the different box sizes, lack of clear title information (sort of expecting you to already be familiar with the game and its box art) and the differing number of games per row all bother me.

I've manually organised them from time to time, only for that organisation to get completely reverted whenever a new game is added to the service.

I think I'd prefer something like WiiFlow:

wiiflow-ui.png

This would ned tidying up and reconciling with Nintendo brand imagery, but a clear sliding selection of the games per console with higher resolution box art, clear titles etc would be stunning.
Hahahaha, holy crap. That is such a blast from the past.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the NSO app is incredible for me. The treasure trove of content you can access almost instantly at the press of a button is crazy. Everything being available for one fee (that I would pay for online play anyway) is great too. Having such easy access to all that history is something I could only have dreamed during the Wii era when I was paying 10 euros for Majora's Mask. The ownership issue is the one downside that personally doesn't concern me.

Like just recently I was in a Kirby mood and boom, played through Dreamland, Adventure, Dreamland 2, Super Star and Dreamland 3 just like that. They were all hanging out in my console, ready to be played.
Yeah, it's soooooo good. Love being able to instantly jump into a game with suspend saves. Like at the tap of a button, I can boot up Mario Kart 64 and start racing against CPUs on Bowser's Castle.

I also enjoy wondering what new games they will add next. Fingers crossed for Diddy Kong Racing!

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
It's not for me, I genuinely hate it. Much prefer how the NES and SNES Classic handles this.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I guess it works okay enough on a big TV, but I can barely tell what I'm look at sometimes on my Switch Lite. And since there aren't any plain text labels to read, the Japanese versions of games can be a real mystery at times regarding what you're about to start.

I'd prefer a better, easier to read layout.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
I get what you're saying, but it's only cool because the boxarts are cool. The actual UI is bland and unituitive, imo.

OP
OP
Brazil

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I genuinely think it's still one of the nicer and cleaner library UIs I've seen. Does have a bit of late 2000s-mid 2010s energy to it, but I'm always a sucker for 3D model representations of old game boxes.
It is pretty neat. It reminds me of this old Mac OS software called Delicious Library, which I'm not even sure still exists. You could use it to display DVDs, books, games and whatnot as if you were looking at your shelves.

imagem_delicious_library.png

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I love they they just unapologetically use the original boxart no matter what. K-A rating? No problem. No rating? No problem. Rumble Pak advertisement? It's there. Game Boy Game Link cable included? Yep, that's there too. They didn't scrub them at all. I wonder if they're the original files they used back in the day.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
It is pretty neat. It reminds me of this old Mac OS software called Delicious Library, which I'm not even sure still exists. You could use it to display DVDs, books, games and whatnot as if you were looking at your shelves.

Yeah, that's pretty great. I've never used a mac except briefly at one job I had but it was probably long after this. It does remind me of how GOG displays your library though. You can even change GOG to have a woodgrain shelf effect too:

image.png

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I appreciate that the standalone NSO app shows if a game's original release occurred during your birth month. It is one of those "Nintendo-esque" touches other companies might ignore.

2xlK1RA.jpg

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Literally bought a Mac to use this ages ago. It still exists and works but hasn't been updated in a while because its creator, Wil Shipley, was hired by Apple.

bloodgate

Dec 18, 2019
Iowa
Definitely love being able to look at the box art. Being able to pick them up and flip them would be pretty neat. Reminds me of going to the video store and browsing what to rent.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Figures, haha. I always resented the fact that this wasn't available on Windows.
Same. It has been a huge issue for me over the years, actually. There was never anything as good and the Mac I had with its soldered RAM could never run it fast enough for my library. When DVD Aficionado imploded and IGN killed their DB I lost the ability to track my media in any way that was even remotely effective, and now it's a disaster. I know people love Collectorz but it's waaaaaaaaay too much money since they moved to a subscription model and charge per media type and access platform. Most of the people I see advocating for it are grandfathered in from when it was a one-time purchase.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's alright-- I wish I could set it to have the spines on display instead of the covers.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Man look at how unfairly the Japanese games are treated in that screenshot. Mario Picross and Puyo Puyo 2 just being squished and buried between the much larger boxes :(

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It looks nice, but I don't think it's very usable. I think I prefer other Nintendo UI.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I feel like this might be a bit controversial, but I absolutely adore the game selection screen for the Nintendo Switch Online apps.

74aa700a513ce9b8609e4143a8a76cbb62871d0b4c5874c48f23c47bed012d92.png

It's messy, yes - but it's also strangely... classy?

I particularly love the way they'll mix up Super Famicom vertical boxarts amongst the Super NES horizontal ones. It just works, and it feels really good to see all of those games side by side.

I truly wish I could view my Steam or PS5 libraries like this as well.

Am I crazy here?

I agree with all of this. It's strangely pleasant to look at.

Now if they would only let turn off the fucking border,

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Darkadia looks like that too. Unfortunately it gets the art from the Giantbomb Wiki and since nobody gives a shit about updating it anymore some of the art is wrong or broken.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The NSO app is like a masterclass in how not to design a UI. Things are randomly sized, new stuff turning up changes the order with the user having no say in it, readability in general is terrible, and despite everything and the massive icons, it doesn't even support the touch screen when undocked.

Absolutely garbage design at every level

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The NSO app is like a masterclass in how not to design a UI. Things are randomly sized, new stuff turning up changes the order with the user having no say in it, readability in general is terrible, and despite everything and the massive icons, it doesn't even support the touch screen when undocked.

Absolutely garbage design at every level
New stuff doesn't change the order. It gets added to the top row and then you can manually move it wherever (or group automatically by name, release, etc). There is also no randomness to the size. The size is determined by how many are in the row, which can also be manually adjusted.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
I think it's fun in a cluttered way, but certainly not elegant. The different size boxes in itself is a big sin to me, it being a bit more customizable would be great.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't like how plain and boring it is compared to what we got on the Classic consoles. The music, animations, graphics are all amazing. I miss that when I play on NSO. I guess I miss Nintendo's UI music really. The Wii and Wii U were known for their UI music. Now the Switch is just silence.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
You are not alone. I totally love seeing all the covers there, without anything else.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
It would be cool if it had some auto sort options and filters.

I'd like to favourite them, or view them by year of release, things like that. Hide the SP editions etc. But yeah I like the menus.

What these things need more than anything though is match making for people who aren't 5 years old. I'm too old to coordinate with friends!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if it had some auto sort options and filters.

I'd like to favourite them, or view them by year of release, things like that. Hide the SP editions etc. But yeah I like the menus.

What these things need more than anything though is match making for people who aren't 5 years old. I'm too old to coordinate with friends!
It DOES have those sorting options. You can sort alphabetically, by release year, etc. You can also manually arrange them in any order. You could even put two in one row, four in another, etc. It will remember your custom order if you try out the other sorting, too.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I like it because it has the original box art. Important for preservation. Wii VC didn't not have this.