Oct 27, 2017
Considering Izuku isn't a trillionaire really doubt he'd be able to face most of the quirk users in this world. Kid with basic h2h and a baseball bat is getting fucking KO'd by Bakuguo 9 out of 10 times unless he's got some good ass plot armor

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just make Midoriya The Punisher and he just shoots the villain in the face while they're going on through their monologue. Actually if that's how he handled Bakugo I think it'd be one of the best series ever.

Aug 13, 2019
The world around Deku is too overpowered for that idea

Like Batman works because most of his villains dont have powers either
But Batman is on a team with gods and fights Darkseid, an opponent that completely dwarfs him. He's defeated literal gods of the DCU. In fact, Dark Knights Metal implies that if Batman became evil he'd be able to kill every hero on earth easily (Not the first time it's been implied, but I think it's the most recent).

Deku would work just fine as a quirkless support hero. I feel like it'd be way better than what we have now, actually. Honestly, ever since I started MHA I'd been wondering when we'd get a Batman type hero.

Oct 27, 2017
But Batman is on a team with gods and fights Darkseid, an opponent that completely dwarfs him. He's defeated literal gods of the DCU. In fact, Dark Knights Metal implies that if Batman became evil he'd be able to kill every hero on earth easily (Not the first time it's been implied, but I think it's the most recent).

Deku would work just fine as a quirkless support hero. I feel like it'd be way better than what we have now, actually. Honestly, ever since I started MHA I'd been wondering when we'd get a Batman type hero.

Batman has a trillion dollars.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong. I think the prototype of Deku was supposed to remain quirkless.

At least the MHA Vigilantes spinoff exists for that. There's a vigilante named Knuckleduster that just beats the shit out of people with his fists and uses bootleg gadgets.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Deku is a complate blank slate personalty wise and kinda of dumb. I would rather he have Todorki's personalty
How Deku is dumb and Todoroki isnt? A big part ofTodoroki personality is that he is super dense at times when it isnt about his dad.
I liked Deku better when he was an under dog, so maybe
So you stop liking him better after chapter 2? And like I explained in the manga thread back when we had this discussion, no Deku never was the under dog for long, just before the sports festival he was the one that Todoroki, the one at the top of the class, saw as his biggest rival, that was the moment that any status of underdog was lift for deku

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong. I think the prototype of Deku was supposed to remain quirkless.

At least the MHA Vigilantes spinoff exists for that. There's a vigilante named Knuckleduster that just beats the shit out of people with his fists and uses bootleg gadgets.
So Mei but with combat experience.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Bakugou is a cool character and his arc was going well until

the joint training arc where he dominated the fight he was in after talking to his kids and now he has "perfect teamwork" as a Bakugou stan, I was mega disappointed since it just felt like either Kohei fell in love with him and needed him to dominate once again or that he's just catering to polls. It just feels so fast-tracked and I would have preferred he lost and took it well since he still needed more time to learn about teamwork. It doesn't help that they hyped up a female character only to have her job to show how cool Bakugou is. The women in this series are already pretty garbage but that just made me roll my eyes

That's another thing that rubs me the wrong way, another series that introduces cool girl characters only to do jack shit with them.

Granting, I'm also a One Piece fan, so...

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
That's another thing that rubs me the wrong way, another series that introduces cool girl characters only to do jack shit with them.

I mean, One Piece isn't the worst with this

If MHA did the four emperors, Big Mom would get jobbed instantly to show how cool Zoro is or something

The women in MHA are dire

Ochako peaked in the sports fest and holy fucking shit Momo, Iida got over almost trying to murder someone before you got over your confidence issues. I half expect Todoroki to hash things out with his father before she gets her groove back

Mina's just there to get saved for Kirishima

Tsuyu is cool when she does anything, though

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
So you stop liking him better after chapter 2?
Jesus Christ man you're so ready to disagree did you even think about what I said?

He was an underdog a lot longer than that. I'd say until he mastered full cowling and could go a fight without breaking half his body

There you go editing out your post again. I don't even know why I respond to you anymore

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Batman doesn't work just fine though. Not only does he have endless amounts of capital to fund his tech, he pretty much has genius level intellect and foresight to such an extreme extent that his contingency plans have contingency plans. Like we've grown to accept Batman, Green Arrow, Nightwing, etc.. as capable despite being without powers but anytime they have to deal with actual powered individuals all kinds of exigent circumstances have to come into play.

Of course MHA could do this same thing but that doesn't make it better. It's just substituting actual powers with pseudo-powers.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Don't worry when the series is ending Deku will finally acknowledge gravity girl has a vagina and they'll pop out a kid for the epilogue.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, One Piece isn't the worst with this

If MHA did the four emperors, Big Mom would get jobbed instantly to show how cool Zoro is or something
No it wouldnt. In the same arc that you are talking about the best performers in each battle were the female characters except for the battle that included Bakugo. So it was more about Bakugo than some possible implied dislike for female characters by the author
Jesus Christ man you're so ready to disagree did you even think about what I said?

He was an underdog a lot longer than that. I'd say until he mastered full cowling and could go a fight without breaking half his body

There you go editing out your post again. I don't even know why I respond to you anymore
No he wasnt. I already explained back then and even explained again in my post. But you ignored the explanation both times

Ochako peaked in the sports fest and holy fucking shit Momo, Iida got over almost trying to murder someone before you got over your confidence issues. I half expect Todoroki to hash things out with his father before she gets her groove back

Mina's just there to get saved for Kirishima

Tsuyu is cool when she does anything, though
When Mina was saved by Kirishima? She was the one saving people when he froze

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Mei but with combat experience.
If Mei was a buff as fuck middle age man, who doesn't make the gadgets himself.

Also thanks for bring up Mei. Quirkless Deku could still work of you made him as smart as Mei. Make him an inventor who uses his own gadgets. He gets into UA so he can make gear for the other students, but starts using his own stuff.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If Mei was a buff as fuck middle age man, who doesn't make the gadgets himself.

Also thanks for bring up Mei. Quirkless Deku could still work of you made him as smart as Mei. Make him an inventor who uses his own gadgets. He gets into UA so he can make gear for the other students, but starts using his own stuff.
It would also be cancelled and since MHA was horikoshi last chance he wasn't going to risk that
Don't worry when the series is ending Deku will finally acknowledge gravity girl has a vagina and they'll pop out a kid for the epilogue.
Funny you mention that because of the chapter just released today is the opposite of this

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think you could do a powerless of severely under powered character up against super powered villains and other heroes, you just would need to write the story so that its not just getting into a brawl that wins fights. Its totally possible but it'd require some fairly clever writing, both on the short and the long term but it could be done and has been done in other stories.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
No he wasnt. I already explained back then and even explained again in my post. But you ignored the explanation both times
That's your opinion, just like how in my opinion he was more of an underdog character until he mastered full cowling. I don't know what "back then" is, and you edited your post after I quoted you already

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would also be cancelled and since MHA was horikoshi last chance he wasn't going to risk that

Funny you mention that because of the chapter just released today is the opposite of this
I don't think it would have. The reason it's popular isn't because Deku has powers, it's because it's a superhero world manga that came out around the time the Marvel movies were getting big. Deku being quirkless wouldn't change that. Hell, him being the Batman/Iron Man of the world might even help.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's your opinion, just like how in my opinion he was more of an underdog character until he mastered full cowling. I don't know what "back then" is, and you edited your post after I quoted you already
That isnt an opinion. That is just using the definition of underdog
"a competitor thought to have little chance of winning a fight or contest."
When the strongest guy in the class considers you the biggest threat you isn't someone that is thought to have little chance of winning
I don't think it would have. The reason it's popular isn't because Deku has powers, it's because it's a superhero world manga that came out around the time the Marvel movies were getting big. Deku being quirkless wouldn't change that. Hell, him being the Batman/Iron Man of the world might even help.
That is easy to say in hindsight, but we don't know how shueisha decides what series should continue or dropped, or even more important, what series should be even approved to be serialized. It is very probable that the condition for MHA to be serialized is that Deku had a quirk.

Oct 27, 2017
My issue with Deku/Izuku aren't with his quirks, but that the series kind of began with this whole concept that he has these amazing powers, but he's going to need the support of his friends in order to fully realize his potential.

Then with each passing arc, that mattered...less and less? Fewer and fewer of Class 1A were involved in Deku/Izuku's efforts to the point where the series is almost exclusively focused on him, Bakugou, and Todoroki. I -at least- thought that Ochako and Iida would get some attention, but it really is just those three I mentioned.

Doesn't help that the villains in this series are so, SO bad. If they're not fighting each other (which actually happens rather frequently for some reason?), they're incompetent at fighting the UA folk, giving the cast, and Deku, little reason to grow as characters.

Will admit the Kirishima's big moment this season was great though.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I've grown bored of it. Black Clover has more likeable characters.
I've been meaning to begin watching this. But it looks so edgey.
Edgy, typically no, dull and with a lack of consistent logic behind its magic, yes.

As someone who's been watching both series from the beginning, I would say that Yami and Zora are among the few noteworthy characters in Black Clover, most others are just okay or otherwise rely too much on a single personality gimmick. The villains pretty much all suck.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
That isnt an opinion. That is just using the definition of underdog
"a competitor thought to have little chance of winning a fight or contest."
When the strongest guy in the class considers you the biggest threat you isn't someone that is thought to have little chance of winning
I don't see it. In Deku vs Todooki he was still the underdog. No one was betting on Deku over Todoroki, and in fact when Todoroki went full power he won. Deku struggles that whole fight. Deku learning the best way to use his quirk during exercises, breaking his bones in battle, controlling his power output...all of that stuff is him being an underdog.

The other students have had their quirks since they were 4, Deku was playing catch up for a while. Nowadays he doesn't have the same struggle and is less of an underdog.

Aug 13, 2019
Batman has a trillion dollars.
Batman doesn't work just fine though. Not only does he have endless amounts of capital to fund his tech, he pretty much has genius level intellect and foresight to such an extreme extent that his contingency plans have contingency plans. Like we've grown to accept Batman, Green Arrow, Nightwing, etc.. as capable despite being without powers but anytime they have to deal with actual powered individuals all kinds of exigent circumstances have to come into play.

Of course MHA could do this same thing but that doesn't make it better. It's just substituting actual powers with pseudo-powers.
Kind of irrelevant. Deku doesn't need to build a Trillion-dollar mech suit, or tank, or jet or whatever. He also doesn't need to become a Bat-God. He just needs to have a passable knowledge of fictional mechanical engineering, robotics and his already displayed penchant for analyzing his friends and foes. Spider-Man isn't filthy rich or meta-human smart and he managed to build web-shooters and trackers. There's no need to go overboard and have him build a giant mech-suit or anything.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
the fact that he inherited the most powerful ability is what makes the series boring. the other characters are far more interesting than him but the manga will always have to revolve around him and that will always be a drag. he's also boring as shit and reminds me a lot of tsuna from hitman reborn. i stopped reading the series because i really don't care about deku.

Oct 27, 2017
Edgy, typically no, dull and with a lack of consistent logic behind its magic, yes.

As someone who's been watching both series from the beginning, I would say that Yami and Zora are among the few noteworthy characters in Black Clover, most others are just okay or otherwise rely too much on a single personality gimmick. The villains pretty much all suck.

I would appreciate a manga/anime with decent villains. Even Demon Slayer which I love a ton has pretty mediocre villains.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it. In Deku vs Todooki he was still the underdog. No one was betting on Deku over Todoroki, and in fact when Todoroki went full power he won. Deku struggles that whole fight. Deku learning the best way to use his quirk during exercises, breaking his bones in battle, controlling his power output...all of that stuff is him being an underdog.

The other students have had their quirks since they were 4, Deku was playing catch up for a while. Nowadays he doesn't have the same struggle and is less of an underdog.
Just because he wasn't the favourite against one character doesnt mean he is an underdog, it isnt how things work. If your logic worked then Deku would be the underdog to this day because he is still weaker than Bakugo and Todoroki

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, as someone who is ho hum on the series currently , a quirkless Deku wouldn't have made it more interesting.

If anything, All Might should've had a more conceptual power, rather than something as straightforward as super strength to give Deku something more interesting to work with and to allow himself to differentiate himself from All Might without going down the path we've gotten with recent developments.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Just because he wasn't the favourite against one character doesnt mean he is an underdog, it isnt how things work. If your logic worked then Deku would be the underdog to this day because he is still weaker than Bakugo and Todoroki
It's not just Todoroki, dude used to literally break his bones fighting because he had poor control. If you can't see how the early version of the character was more of an underdog then what we have now I don't know what to tell you.

We also don't know how strong Deku is compared to Bakugo and Todoroki, the last time he fought either of them he was much weaker

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, as someone who is ho hum on the series currently , a quirkless Deku wouldn't have made it more interesting.

If anything, All Might should've had a more conceptual power, rather than something as straightforward as super strength to give Deku something more interesting to work with and to allow himself to differentiate himself from All Might without going down the path we've gotten with recent developments.
all might should have given the user the power they invision. all might chose power and deku could have chosen some other kind of power to use. Or perhaps since he was such a hero nerd he could have got powers from all his fav heroes but shitty imitations and had to work hard to make them work together.

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
How Deku is dumb and Todoroki isnt? A big part ofTodoroki personality is that he is super dense at times when it isnt about his dad.

So you stop liking him better after chapter 2? And like I explained in the manga thread back when we had this discussion, no Deku never was the under dog for long, just before the sports festival he was the one that Todoroki, the one at the top of the class, saw as his biggest rival, that was the moment that any status of underdog was lift for deku
Todoroki is oblivious, not dumb

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just Todoroki, dude used to literally break his bones fighting because he had poor control. If you can't see how the early version of the character was more of an underdog then what we have now I don't know what to tell you.
By the time of the sports festival he already knew how to punch at 5% so no he didnt need to break himself. In fact in the calvary battle he used 5%
And underdog isnt an adjective. You either is an underdog or isn't

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of irrelevant. Deku doesn't need to build a Trillion-dollar mech suit, or tank, or jet or whatever. He also doesn't need to become a Bat-God. He just needs to have a passable knowledge of fictional mechanical engineering, robotics and his already displayed penchant for analyzing his friends and foes. Spider-Man isn't filthy rich or meta-human smart and he managed to build web-shooters and trackers. There's no need to go overboard and have him build a giant mech-suit or anything.

The point is the same. It doesn't make him powerless, it just gives him pseudo powers. And Spidey's intelligence is still Genius level to be able to make those gadgets. It's just that, like so many things in comic universes, the scale is absurd.

The Everyman stand-ins in comics are only an "Everyman" in contextual comparison to the other super powered beings. But they're still super in comparison to actual average people in those worlds. Deku being a quirkless character in the world of MHA doesn't even just make him average. It makes him less-than-average. So a truly quirkless character becoming a hero doesn't work. And a quirkless hero that uses tech instead of a quirk is just changing the dressing. It's not an improvement. Just a surface level change.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I actually thought that Deku would basically become Batman early on. And while I was kinda disappointed that it didn't happen, his relationship with All Might quickly made me okay with the decision.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
By the time of the sports festival he already knew how to punch at 5% so no he didnt need to break himself. In fact in the calvary battle he used 5%
And underdog isnt an adjective. You either is an underdog or isn't
He couldn't punch consistently until full cowl and in my opinion he was an underdog, like I said, until he mastered full cowling. Disagree all you like, but deal with it

Oct 31, 2017
Midoriya is still a kid learning to control the world's greatest power and live up to and surpass his idol

fuck all that powerless Batman shit, cool glowing powers are sweet

the Deku/All Might relationship is where is the truth

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The point is the same. It doesn't make him powerless, it just gives him pseudo powers. And Spidey's intelligence is still Genius level to be able to make those gadgets. It's just that, like so many things in comic universes, the scale is absurd.

The Everyman stand-ins in comics are only an "Everyman" in contextual comparison to the other super powered beings. But they're still super in comparison to actual average people in those worlds. Deku being a quirkless character in the world of MHA doesn't even just make him average. It makes him less-than-average. So a truly quirkless character becoming a hero doesn't work. And a quirkless hero that uses tech instead of a quirk is just changing the dressing. It's not an improvement. Just a surface level change.
There's even a character whose quirk is she makes really good gadgets, just making a smart guy wouldnt cut it or would just be another quirk in this universe

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
That's why Mumen Rider from One Punch Man is the best.

original.gif

Agreed.

There's even a character whose quirk is she makes really good gadgets, just making a smart guy wouldnt cut it or would just be another quirk in this universe

Her Quirk is being able to zoom in with her eyes.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up dropping MHA an arc or two ago.

When the series first started I just wanted to see Deku do better without destroying himself and now I'm pretty meh on current Deku and the stuff they've set up with him. Deku probably will end up having a latent quirk of his own that combines what his parents have at the the end of the story. Deku was cool early on because you had the whole "can I be a hero without a quirk" thing, but that's kinda gone now and the other characters have more vibrant personalities and abilities.

Eh but even in world trigger I grew way tired of the MC being useless. Like he's really useless and not good at anything, he's not even really smart. It's frustrating
Osamu is actually super smart and is the one coming up with all the strategies. His thing is that he tries to find ways to work around his physical limitations.

With female characters in WSJ battle series Black Clover is probably the best with MHA and Demon Slayer towards the bottom. I haven't read Jujitsu Kaisen and Samurai8, but from what I've heard the latter is probably bottom of the list in Jump.

OP you should read Mx0, basically a kid gets into a magic high school except he can't use magic (or has like anti-magic abilities) and basically has to figure out how to win each fight.

I enjoyed it a lot when I was younger, but it was cancelled and the ending is super rushed
Mx0 was super good.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
nah, that would be too ass pully.

Infact I don't think they really explosed One for all enough
I mean, that's already happening in the current series. Dude just ass pulls from his OP power to win fights with no ingenuity involved. He's also like, the dumbest character who the author constantly tries to make look smart.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
all might should have given the user the power they invision. all might chose power and deku could have chosen some other kind of power to use. Or perhaps since he was such a hero nerd he could have got powers from all his fav heroes but shitty imitations and had to work hard to make them work together.

Deku should've had Monoma's quirk. It would allow him to use his observational abilities and hero/villain obsession to copy other quirks and put his own spin on them. He could've even kept his initial limitation in that his body isn't a a good vessel to house abilities properly.