• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
They have a diverse cast. Not "plenty", but it's there.
Cast-e1505777610795.jpg

Where's "there"?

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
The Question: do you want to live in a world where all of art is filled with Political Treatises that make people somewhat happier but will be forgotten once the "happiness" definition will be changed by new regime? Or would you rather live in a country with Great Works that will never be forgotten?
kek, what even is this post

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Kratos is Spartan, Spartans are Greek. The Greeks, Italians, Iberians, Turks, Berbers, Levantine, and other olive skinned people of the Mediterranean aren't white.
I'm really intrigued by this claim that Spainiards, Portuguese, Italians, and Greeks aren't white. How far can we push this, can I get an "Occitanians aren't white" next? How about the Swiss. C'mon they're right on the border with Italy, surely they must have gotten a little sun here or there.

We can end white supremacy right here, clearly white people just never existed at all outside of the northern fjords of Norway and Svalbard. We've been living in a glorious multi-colored post-racial world this whole time.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
OP: I'm disappointed that there are too few PoC in the game
Era: Wow, Soandso is in the game?! Awesome

Now this is enough to raise some eyebrows I was wondering the same thing. Fuck what the OP talking about right my favorite actor from my favorite t.v show is in the game coolzies..

I dont find it racist necessarily myself but honestly I can't even blame somebody who does its as shortsighted as it gets.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
That's the main cast? Whew not very diverse. And if people want to bring up supporting casts I think adding "in the main cast" to the title wouldn't change OP's argument and could help people from linking IMDB.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
IMDB, as i said.

I said, very precisely that the main cast isn't diverse. This image is the main cast.

The rest of the cast is more diverse. As seen in imdb. Is it that hard to click on a link ?
Cmon man, really? 5 whole black guys, an asian woman, and persian guy listed in "other cast" among a sea of white people and you call that diversity?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It's not a blank claim, it's an observation after seeing the male dominated white cast of the game, and a comment on the apparent social structure the games is reproducing, willingly or not.

Pretending like this is just some kind of coincidence is laughable. It's the typical nerd colourblindness, that strangely always leads us to the same exact place in all nerd media.
My calling the claim blank is bad english on my part, I honestly could not think of the word in the moment / I was thinking cart blanche or single colour stroke (hah), basically how unnuanced the usage of the word is.
I agree that it is not diverse for main cast, I just think calling the entire game racist is a step that conjures up entirely different images in my head of actual intentional racist propaganda.

I do not think it is a coincidence, but one born of a myopia on Chris Robert's part from his social sphere and upbringing. The guy is a white 50 something man who worked in Hollywood and grew up watching star wars- i think he just hired the big positions based upon his circle of friends (Hamill, Davies, etc) and his favourite sci-fi media. Which given his age and Hollywood experience are all white people basically.
I just think there is a big distinction to make between implicitly following racial norms (which are normatively not good of course) and many more explicit forms of racism.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Good catch, OP, and the team should have caught it a minute into reading through their casting list. Certainly makes it seem like they do not care a whole lot for diversity at best.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, main cast is super white. But, I am pleased by the diversity of the supporting cast as I've watched gameplay snippets here and there.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Scully is in this game?!?!?!?!

Edit: And The Precious is in this game too!!!???

Whaaaaat?!?!?!?

Damn, I might have to back this game after all...
Wow, that is John Rhys Davies. Paladin and Maverick back again!
Man, I love Mark Hamill
The haters are getting desperate...

Goodnight haha.
Holy shit that's a lot of famous people

I haven't been following this at all but damn so many actors
Wow, that is a great cast. Is Squadron 42 planned to come to PS4 at all?
Lately seems that being white is really a crime for some people
I have no idea was is going on with this game anymore, but If it has Mark Hamill of course I want to play it.
Wtf, i did not know there were so many good actors in this game
I'm just going to ask one thing - why do you spend your time counting the amount of white characters in the game? If having all-black films is okay, then what is wrong with having all-white characters? Why do you even pay attention to these things?

y0LsYUU.gif

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty well known Chris Roberts was a 'conservative' of a certain kind. Looking back though I can't find it googling easily -- probably just dog whistle stuff I read a while back.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm more upset at the money spent on all those a listers lol

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
"he is originally black but has a skin condition that makes him white"
is such a bullshit cop-out. It is in the same league as proclaiming a near-naked female character must be near naked because she photosynthesizes through her skin.
Whoa slow down lol. This is not true

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can y'all stop with the Kratos shit. Greeks are considered white, this gets beaten into your heads every single time you bring it up.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
They are equally as harmful.
Perhaps I am just an old school marxist focused on the base, but I think bodily and economic oppression tend to be worse than super structural cultural oppressions. Like as an example, I think U.S. cops shooting black men to death or how poor black people in the U.S. are more readily incarcerated for minor infractions to be more harmful than non-diverse casting decisions in media.

I do think the super structural media problems though send signals about who is in charge and definitely do not help people feel cared for, loved, or represented.

OP
OP
Vela

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
My calling the claim blank is bad english on my part, I honestly could not think of the word in the moment / I was thinking cart blanche or single colour stroke (hah), basically how unnuanced the usage of the word is.
I agree that it is not diverse for main cast, I just think calling the entire game racist is a step that conjures up entirely different images in my head of actual intentional racist propaganda.

I do not think it is a coincidence, but one born of a myopia on Chris Robert's part from his social sphere and upbringing. The guy is a white 50 something man who worked in Hollywood and grew up watching star wars- i think he just hired the big positions based upon his circle of friends (Hamill, Davies, etc) and his favourite sci-fi media. Which given his age and Hollywood experience are all white people basically.
I just think there is a big distinction to make between implicitly following racial norms (which are normatively not good of course) and many more explicit forms of racism.

What's the difference between AfD making a game only featuring white people versus Cloud Imperium Games making a game only featuring white people? What difference does that make to the end product that we play anyway? I.e. intent does not matter. It's still racism.

Perhaps I am just an old school marxist focused on the base, but I think bodily and economic oppression tend to be worse than super structural cultural oppressions. Like as an example, I think U.S. cops shooting black men to death or how poor black people in the U.S. are more readily incarcerated for minor infractions to be more harmful than non-diverse casting decisions in media.

I do think the super structural media problems though send signals about who is in charge and definitely do not help people feel cared for, loved, or represented.

Both class and race are inter-connected. As a Marxist, you should know this. + Culture matters in how society is structured - material conditions reinforce cultural conditions and vice versa.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really intrigued by this claim that Spainiards, Portuguese, Italians, and Greeks aren't white. How far can we push this, can I get an "Occitanians aren't white" next? How about the Swiss. C'mon they're right on the border with Italy, surely they must have gotten a little sun here or there.

We can end white supremacy right here, clearly white people just never existed at all outside of the northern fjords of Norway and Svalbard. We've been living in a glorious multi-colored post-racial world this whole time.
Yeah I always find that odd that people blanket Iberian/Greek people as "not white". Like there are a lot of Spanish people with Moor or even Berber descendants, or Greeks with Turkish descendants. But there are a hell of a lot of pale as fuck white people people from the European Mediterranean countries. But I guess when you view everything from an American sense only North Europe and some of West Europe is "white".

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017

I think you do not fully understand the affects of racism and how it can have lasting consequences beyond the initial action.

Non-diverse hiring decisions can lead to lower economic mobility. Lower economic mobility can lead to individuals living in lower income areas. These areas are heavily monitored by police because of racial biases. And the individuals living in these areas are more likely to have interactions with the police.

I'm using the scenario above to show how your examples of a black person getting shot by the police and non-diverse hiring can easily be connected.

Last edited:

JPLMD

Dec 25, 2017
Lol at people thinking a half asian actress is indicative of "diversity." Anyway all around disappointing cast but not surprising considering the demographic they are trying to target and the people who have invested into the project.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I always find that odd that people blanket Iberian/Greek people as "not white". Like there are a lot of Spanish people with Moor or even Berber descendants, or Greeks with Turkish descendants. But there are a hell of a lot of pale as fuck white people people from the European Mediterranean countries. But I guess when you view everything from an American sense only North Europe and some of West Europe is "white".
It's definitely not a mindset I ever encountered in europe.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Yah. The ratio of men to women is just fucked, too--it bugged me when I first watched the trailer, so I went back and counted, and - not counting the aliens, or anyone in super bulky armour with covered faces - there were four women, to twenty-seven men.

Like what the shit, my guy.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yah. The ratio of men to women is just fucked, too--it bugged me when I first watched the trailer, so I went back and counted, and - not counting the aliens, or anyone in super bulky armour with covered faces - there were four women, to twenty-seven men.

Like what the shit, my guy.
They currently don't even have female character models in Star Citizen. That's on the "roadmap" for the next release. lol

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely not a mindset I ever encountered in europe.
Agreed, it's not, it's the projection of American ideas on European people. There are Spanish, Italian, Irish, Dutch, French, and Greek people in my job and you could create a line up containing one of all of them and you could conceivably struggle to pick out that they were from different countries, never mind different races.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'I dont see color, I see talent' is a real problem that should be addressed with.

Even Naughty Dog had that problem with Uncharted 4.

That said I don't think it's being racist, but they could have done a hell lot better.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to ask one thing - why do you spend your time counting the amount of white characters in the game? If having all-black films is okay, then what is wrong with having all-white characters? Why do you even pay attention to these things? I'm not American but I happen to live here, yet for some reason it doesn't bother me that my nation is not represented.
The characters are not there to represent you or anybody else, they are characters to tell the story and if we really are equal, why can't you feel for white characters the same way you'll feel for black?

Maybe the creators thought they want to have a different style (retro), maybe they wanted to give it a feeling of a different country (not all countries in the world have black people, you know?), etc. - you can't know what has influenced their creative thinking.

I have no idea what this game is about and the screenshots threw me off, but I know one thing - you can't use culture, art as a way to prove something to yourself or the world. Culture doesn't have any "missions" or "requirements" (aka number of color people, number of good/bad guys), culture has only one goal - to express the story, the idea and to teach us how to love things, that's it. It is not meant to be a slave to any ideologies, beliefs or ideas.

Good example: Civilization V has a feature where you can create a piece of art. There are two types: Political Treatises and Great Work. Political treatises have no author, title and quote when you make them, they only give you a one-time boost of popularity; they serve the regime and have no value because once the regime changes, they'll be forgotten; Great Work not only boosts your overall culture, but raises tourism and has a nice little quote, an author and a title. Great Work will not be forgotten but it doesn't give you a quick boost and that's how things are with culture - easy-to-accept Political treatises might give you an illusion of happiness, but do you really want to be in illusions?

The Question: do you want to live in a world where all of art is filled with Political Treatises that make people somewhat happier but will be forgotten once the "happiness" definition will be changed by new regime? Or would you rather live in a country with Great Works that will never be forgotten?
Unless that piece promotes the idea of hate, direct calls for it, then you cannot complain about it, it's not a service and nobody owes you anything.
Culture is not meant to be used, it is there to appreciate.
There's one for the hall of shame.

They always try to flip it on you like you're the one in the wrong for asking for more diversity.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
What's the difference between AfD making a game only featuring white people versus Cloud Imperium Games making a game only featuring white people? What difference does that make to the end product that we play anyway? I.e. intent does not matter. It's still racism.
Well we know AfDs aims and desires - to basically cleanse Germany and European mainland of people of colour and non-christian Germanic ancestry. I think them making a game would have an intentional political message.
CIG having the implicit racial status quo being upheld but not having that overt messaging changes the degree of badness in my brain about it. I do not like it or prefer it, but I think it is less evil?
Both class and race are inter-connected. As a Marxist, you should know this. + Culture matters in how society is structured - material conditions reinforce cultural conditions and vice versa.
Recognising the interconenctedness of race and clas is not something I would argue against, my bad if it came across that way. My statement below that one agreed with what you are saying, it is a dialectic so they influence each other: but the base is still the base. I just think the racisms that are associated with abject suffering (not sure what you are eating tonight, feeling fear for your life) are more direct, more painful, and more urgently bad and problematic. That is why I think changing the base is a primary concern and the superstructural ones secondary if we had to make a choice between the two. Obviously, it would be great if the two could change at the same time. Which is why I will not complain ever about people having problems with diversity - but it would be nice to be able to discuss degrees of intentionality and degrees of badness.
I think you do not understand the affects of racism.

Non-diverse hiring decisions can lead to lower economic mobility. Lower economic mobility can lead to individuals living in lower income areas. These areas are heavily monitored by police because of racial biases. And the individuals living in these areas are more likely to have interactions with the police.

I'm using the scenario above to show how your examples of a black person getting shot by the police and non-diverse hiring can easily be connected.
I think in the grand scheme of it all it is all very connected - good point. And I do not have the effects of racism negatively affect me. I just really think the bodily, economic oppressions of racism are worse in the moment than the other ones. I am sometimes amconflicted about the cultural turn in marxism. I wrote my thesis about the political value of video games for emancipatory purposes, but at the same time I feel like maybe we are losing some of the political clout and big picture goals when we overly-focus on cultural productions. I am not sure how to best bring about change, but I know I want those bodily-economic ones to be solved more quickly and urgently than the cultural ones because it means life or death for people.

Also, thanks for this conversation - I have felt so politically apathetic as of late.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
User banned (1 Month) - dismissing concerns of representation over a series of posts + history of severe infractions
Maybe the guy hired the people he wanted, their is no onus on creators to make sure POC / minorities are represented.

If I was to create a game / book or movie, hitting arbitrary targets of representation would not be a part of my creative process, if the story led to POC being part of the narrative then I would gladly include them, or people of different genders / sexual orientation.

I don't believe affirmative action has a place in all areas. In the work place, education etc .... absolutely.

Creativity is not one of those places.

Vote with the your wallet against this game if the representation is not sufficient / to your liking and support those that meet your personal criteria.

Shaming people where it does not belong is a bit strong, as is the racist label.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, I wonder how did nobody over there realize a lack of diversity this shocking in the main cast in the early stages of this.

And holy shit at some people in here trying to justify this because there's a few poc in the supporting cast.

Oh and another one is the color blindness shit argument some people try to make, yikes.