• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it eventually does become a burden (which is extraordinarily presumptuous), so what?
I'm happy right now and I buy things that make me happy in the moment, while still saving for the future.

Living clean and clutter-free would make me significantly unhappy in the now for the potential of maybe making me happy in the long run (which isn't even guaranteed since as time progresses I become more and more materialistic). I'm glad that it works for you, but there are other people in the world who don't share the same feelings that you do, and that's okay!
Being materialistic isn't something you should celebrate or even tolerate in yourself. Jesus.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I do this for books and games, wishlists>backlogs.

It's an easy way of keeping track of what I'm interested in and what is a good price. When my family ask what I'd like for Christmas it's useful too. There's 200 books on my Amazon wish list and whenever I want to read something new, there's always one that's only 99p. Saved me stacks of money, although I do miss my days in my early 20s when I'd specifically go into London (UK) to buy books and come back with a rucksack full of the latest sci-fi and fantasy imports. Good times!
Yep. That's the way to do it. And, yeah, I still go into the big bookstores when visiting larger cities--and sometimes still fall prey to buying a few. But I'm better about it now!

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten rid of most of my shit and gone almost completely digital, but I still struggle with urges all the time to collect physical shit. "But what if someone else wants to read this book!? But what if my internet is down while I want to watch this movie!?" Like urges and self convincing way more powerful than any cigarette cravings I ever experienced after I quit those.

It's getting annoying.

clearacell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily collect things...I accumulate stuff that goes along with my hobbies. I have so many nerd shirts that I wear to the many nerd things I do.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Used to collect various things back in the day, but I am mostly digital at this point - comics, games, TV shows, music, books. Downsized pretty hugely after my last move a few years back. I have a small set of nerd toys but don't really collect anything there.

Very occasionally I'll buy an art book, but not very often, and the amount of space and weight they eat is always back of mind.

I still buy some more obscure movies on blurays but I throw out the packaging and keep the discs in a pair of big folders. I watch way more streaming these days, though, and think about bailing on physical media.

My CDs are still in a pair of folders in a cupboard somewhere too, I really only kept them because I have a bunch of Aussie indie music, JPN game soundtracks and stuff like Floyd bootlegs from my younger years that aren't on streaming...but I barely ever listen to even the mp3s of any of that anymore.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to break out of my hoarding habit but I keep everything from fast food receipts to books I never read.

Oct 27, 2017
Books are good thing to collect ... everything else is rather pointless with the rise of streaming services and digital.

my book collection takes up a lot of space though, i need a new shelf. (my current shelf has 3 sections, packed full) That's the only downside to collection books though.

collecting coins is actually pretty neat tho, because the value of the coins may rise depending on how rare they are. If a collection can make you money, grow in worth, etc over time then it's probably worth it then. Clutter is what you want to avoid.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yeah I mostly rent video games nowadays, I maybe buy 3-5 games per year physically.

I haven't bought a Blu-ray in years.

I have friends who have so much clutter and it makes me anxious going into their room; Lootcrate stuff everywhere, thousands of blu rays/games. Do what you like, but I like that I can fit my entire life in a single room.

Oct 26, 2017
I will continue to be a capitalist pig and waste space / environmental resources if anything just to see how far I can go.

I.e. you'll have to pry my collections from my cold dead hands.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, I collected a TON of stuff throughout my life; comics, music, movies, games, even guitars.

I've since stopped "collecting", only buying the occasional thing I really want - seriously, about 1% of what I used to buy.

The challenge now is parring down what I have. I have whittled down some stuff, but I need to get rid of more. Everything is neat and organized, but I feel it's just too much - a nice, small tight collection of stuff, be it music, movies, books, can be kinda cool - but it's all about controlling your habits and not just moderation, but near minimalism.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Most of my collection is digital now: films, anime, movies, comics.

I don't like all this shit in my room/house. I "collect" YGO cards, but I PLAY that game so does it really count?

I collect video games I guess, but when the PS5 comes out I'm ditching my whole collection.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I threw out a games/dvd/cd collections 18 years ago. Everything went in the bin. Not collected anything since.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I ditched all that shit years ago. CDs, books, games upon games upon games, tv show boxsets. Felt so good afterwards.

Like a weight gone. All digital now.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It will eventually become a burden.

It doesn't depend on the person. Everyone who starts collecting thinks it is making them happy. It eventually does the opposite.

Clean and clutter-free is the only way to live.

My collections still make me happy decades on, so no, this is not true.

There's a difference between a collection and a hoard, though, which may be what trips a lot of people up. Mindless acquisition is not building a collection.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious, to everyone who says getting rid of collections has freed up space. If you got rid of your collections what are you going to do with that space?

If I got rid of all of my collections, I'd having a living room with a TV, game systems and couch with bare walls, no book shelves and nothing else in it.
I find an open, simple, comfortable space both relaxing and easy to clean, compared to what my living room looked like a decade ago; cluttered and packed full of stuff. My spouse has chosen a few pieces of art to hang on a few walls in the house, and that works for us. We also purchased a house that is a relatively modest size so that we didn't have an empty museum for a house; tons of space that needed crap to fill it up.

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
Good for you OP!

Have you read "The Life Changing Magic of tidying Up"

It's a good book about decluttering your life and living space

If you enjoyed that book, I recommend "Goodbye Things" by Fumio Sasaki. He's much more uuh... radical than Marie Kondo. I could relate to his story about his previous unhealthy lifestyle and his thoughts and feelings now. Very inspiring.

I used to collect stuff, but I realized they didn't do much for me other than costing me money, adding stress and being in the way. I don't like being "tied down" to my things, I don't like spending time cleaning them or around them, I don't use 99% of it for 99% of the time, I don't like the aesthetics of a shitload of stuff everywhere.

I recently sold a bunch of retro video games (and some not so retro) and I got like 1000 bucks - sweet.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Getting rid of my physical games collection was the worst and best decision.

Going digital only for games is awesome.

You should have put those 400 cd's on craigslist though. (In bulk)

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't depend on the person. Everyone who starts collecting thinks it is making them happy. It eventually does the opposite.

This is nonsense. People are different, I mean, most people in here are praising the minimalist lifestyle like it's some kind of holy goal. I hate minimalism. Like literally fucking hate it. Like those ads for homes that look clean and nice and perfect? Fucking hate them, that shit gives me nightmares.
No, give me clutter, give the house that looks like someone actually lives there. Let me look at walls covered in books or CDs and movies and we'll have something to talk about since "that book is so good" and "I haven't listened to that album in years". I'm so happy I married a woman who proudly tells people we're going for the maximalist style.

Maybe it doesn't make you happy, but it makes me happy. Stuff isn't just stuff, they are reminders of something you did, somehwere you were and something you experienced at some point in your life. That has tremendous value to me.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I did this over the past few years.
Ive cut myself down to a cell phone, a tv and a few smaller items. My PC was the hardest to get rid of, tho I may build a new one before the year is over.

I have a few things i wouldnt care about giving up(consoles mostly)

Ive kept some books and a few games(nostalgia) id like to have that i keep in storage at my parents' house.

Im at the point where, if I wanted to, I could fill a suitcase and have everything i need/care about/isnt replaceable fit. I have no desire to collect anything besides tickets to events I attend.

Dec 12, 2017
Thanks to people not like the OP, I find tons of out of print movie scores and soundtracks at my local Goodwills.

There is also a ton of bad 90s music mixed in with it but that is another story.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Congrats, OP. It really is a commendable way of living. You don't really need all that stuff cluttering your home and you are helping to keep a little bit cleaner this planet of all the garbage we produce.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
(My Amazon Wishlist is still out of control. That's replaced my physical bookshelf. Anytime I'm interested in a book, I add it to the list and refer to it when at the library.)
Hahaha, I do this too. I add something to the wishlist (Amazon or Steam), it sits there for a while, and then a few months later I realize I don't actually want it and delete it from the wishlist.

In regards to the OP, I've gone through a similar transformation. For a variety of reasons I've moved six times in the past two years (three across town, three much further), and having to go through that rigamarole over and over again finally pushed me to start downsizing. In the past year I've gotten rid of ~50-60% of my physical possessions through a combination of selling and donating. I got rid of almost all physical video games and CDs, and about half of my books, keeping only those I really use or have a meaningful attachment to.

I also got rid of 95% of the random mementos and trinkets I've accumulated over the years, which were mostly sitting in closets and drawers - like old birthday cards. I scanned / took pictures of each one so I can preserve the memory, and then got rid of them. It's all tucked in a folder on my computer now.

To keep things from building up, my go-to souvineer / memoribilia these days are post cards. They're cheap, they're small, they're charming. I just pick up a couple from cities / museums / tourist spots I hit.

I've still got some collected stuff - DVDs, which I will probably get rid of, and a collection of old EGMs that I probably won't. But just clearing out boxes worth of stuff I didn't use and forgot I had was such a great experience. Moving sucks less now!

Also, OP - next time please look for local charities or second hand stores to accept your unwanted goods. Don't just dump in the trash if you can help it.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Welcome to the club OP. I did that when I moved to London 10 years ago.

Music was the first to go, actually once I got iPod in mid 00s. Spotify just sealed the deal.

Videos I got rid of ten years ago. Ripped my films onto a big HDD, and then later relied on iTunes. Just yesterday, I discovered FilmStruck, which is basically Criterion/Curzon/Artificial Eye streamed.

Getting rid of games was rather easy. Initially I just subscribed to a mail in service, and bought a few popular games, then I went all digital with Wii U.

Books were weirldy the last to go, I just threw out everything once I figured a small Kindle is all I need. Now I only have coffee table books and game art books.

Feels good man. I know I can do whatever I enjoy anywhere where I have electricity and some internet access, no need to take more than a backpack with me.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I only collect things I actually use. Clothes, Shoes, trainers, Shower gels (don't judge me), Video games, camera equipment, gadgets.

It has always seemed bizarre to collect things, just for the sake of collecting them. If they don't have a use, and are only on a display shelf gathering dust, sell that shit.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Good for you OP. I'm happy that it makes you happy.

That being said, I'm one of the fellow people who can't see himself ever stopping collecting stuff. While it's true that a lot of what I own I might never come back to, there's a decent portion of it that I will, and I never know what exactly that portion IS. It might be more cost effective to buy it later and then sell it when I'm done with it, but I adore the access-at-any-time that I have. Though it's also possible that I will come back to most of it some day, when I reach retirement age or whatever and have nothing better to do all day than replay the majority of my collection. I also love the fact that with physically displayed games and movies, I can look at a shelf and see a history of what I've experienced. Plus with games, things like old save files on cartridges are aspects of games that I'm never going to be able to replicate. There's also the fact that a lot of stuff just isn't legally available digitally, and I'm pretty uneasy with regards to downloading ROMs and ISOs of older games even if there's not really a very strong argument for it being morally wrong.

While it's true that it adds clutter, it's not really too psychologically bothersome for me personally, and I feel a sense of satisfaction with it. Or at least I'd like to think so.

I only collect games and movies though. Music I'm all digital/streaming with since I don't really care about it as much, and books I'll just get from the library. That's how I always experienced things growing up anyways. And I can't see myself seriously collecting other things. I own a bunch of plushes but I might get rid of them some day, the majority I just own as decorations in my room or to snuggle with. I guess it's not as big of a deal if I only really collect games and Blu-Rays. Though I'd like to collect Vinyl one day as well.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm down to video games only and while I still have a lot I play most of them throughout me owning them. Movies we only buy ones we will rewatch more than once and books are the same way

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I began the purge 7 years ago. I had a lot of video games and consoles I collected through my teens and early 20s, sold a ton off but still have a lot yet. Felt good because the sight of everything just made me feel guilty about the ridiculous amount of money I spent on the stuff to piss away my time with. I still have a ways to go though.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Throwing away 400 CDs was such a huge waste. At the very least they could have been donated.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was living in a small apartment I got rid of most of my game collection.

Years later I've rebought most of them.

The problem wasn't the stuff it was merely the visable clutter. Now in a house with more space everything is neatly contained unseen in cabinets. It's great.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is nonsense. People are different, I mean, most people in here are praising the minimalist lifestyle like it's some kind of holy goal. I hate minimalism. Like literally fucking hate it. Like those ads for homes that look clean and nice and perfect? Fucking hate them, that shit gives me nightmares.
No, give me clutter, give the house that looks like someone actually lives there. Let me look at walls covered in books or CDs and movies and we'll have something to talk about since "that book is so good" and "I haven't listened to that album in years". I'm so happy I married a woman who proudly tells people we're going for the maximalist style.

Maybe it doesn't make you happy, but it makes me happy. Stuff isn't just stuff, they are reminders of something you did, somehwere you were and something you experienced at some point in your life. That has tremendous value to me.

Unless you have infinite space and/or never want to move house or even leave the country, it will become a burden eventually.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Good for you OP!

If you enjoyed that book, I recommend "Goodbye Things" by Fumio Sasaki. He's much more uuh... radical than Marie Kondo. I could relate to his story about his previous unhealthy lifestyle and his thoughts and feelings now. Very inspiring.

I used to collect stuff, but I realized they didn't do much for me other than costing me money, adding stress and being in the way. I don't like being "tied down" to my things, I don't like spending time cleaning them or around them, I don't use 99% of it for 99% of the time, I don't like the aesthetics of a shitload of stuff everywhere.

I recently sold a bunch of retro video games (and some not so retro) and I got like 1000 bucks - sweet.

Oh thanks for the recommendation

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you have infinite space and/or never want to move house or even leave the country, it will become a burden eventually.

Sure, to you. But again, everyone's different. It's no more a burden while moving than any other item. And I've moved accross country with stacks of boxes filled with my things. It's only a burden if that's how you see it. If it is, good for you, get rid of it. But don't come here thinking you can speak for others.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you people need to get off your high horses, my god. So what if people like their collections? If being clutter free works for you then more power to you, but you don't have any right to judge others for being "materialistic".

Just my two cents on the matter.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
I've gone from collecting to keeping the things that bring me joy. Accumulating, in itself, isn't what makes me happy. It's having the I cherish. I've donated about all my physical games to friends (hundreds), a lot of books to charity, movies have been donated and the rest have been stuck in plastic sleeves so that they don't take up too much space. I feel lighter already.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Decluttering feels amazing. BUT. I hate the feeling of just throwing away perfectly good stuff that may be interesting/useful to someone else. Books, records, movies, games... I'll do my best to sell/give them away if possible.

Anyway, the realisation that you really didn't need that stuff is eye-opening.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
It's quicker to pull something off a shelf than hunt down a low quality PDF or MP3 of it. I will use the library for the mainstream stuff, but imports are a lot harder to find digital versions of.

I recommend collecting art by going out to shows. Art is great if you stay away from the online bullshit.

Can you elaborate? I don't see how gatekeeping helps you find the art you desire.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really? Game collecting is embarrassing?

I wouldn't say embarrassing, but to me, having an emotional attachment to any non-living thing is weird.

It's all just stuff.

To use your game examples, I buy a game, play it, and then get rid of it.

What's the point of keeping it? To look at it? Why would you want to look at a plastic box? That's what I mean, when I say it's weird behavior.

Capitalistic cultures want you to consume endlessly and trap you with your worthless junk.

I believe that's why people form unhealthy attachments to their stuff, and I choose not to participate in it.

It's not just gaming/nerd stuff, either. I think "car people" are deranged. A car is a machine designed to transport you from Point A to Point B, as efficiently and safely as is reasonably possible. I feel no more attachment to my car than I do my toothbrush or refrigerator.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017

That is not true at all. My parents have been collecting since they were kids and still collect to this day, they may sell a collection and start something else but have always collected something. My father has collected watches since he was a kid and he is 68 now. My mother collects vintage Christmas items and put them out every single year. They are happy and their collections make them happy. I have collected Wade animals since I was a kid and I am 35 now. I also got my mothers Steiff animal collection when I was a 18 and keep adding to it whenever I can, I have loved them since I was a kid. They sit in a cabinet worth $1000+ and the collection itself it worth several thousand, I will never sell the cabinet or the collection, unless it is a life or death need.

Durger

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Up to about 1,800 vinyl records. I was addicted when I was in high school, I'd take my whole paychecks and spend hundreds of dollars. I now have a string of questions I ask myself before I impulse buy. They're currently everywhere but my dream of having a house with an office/library continues. I must lug on!

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Being materialistic isn't something you should celebrate or even tolerate in yourself. Jesus.

Why not? I enjoy my collections, I have the money to spend on them and I do not want a bare house. I collect things that mean something to me. I don't go out and buy $10,000 purses, I have no debt, my husband and I both work, so why should we not have our house filled with the items we want and enjoy?

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say embarrassing, but to me, having an emotional attachment to any non-living thing is weird.

It's all just stuff.

To use your game examples, I buy a game, play it, and then get rid of it.

What's the point of keeping it? To look at it? Why would you want to look at a plastic box? That's what I mean, when I say it's weird behavior.

Capitalistic cultures want you to consume endlessly and trap you with your worthless junk.

I believe that's why people form unhealthy attachments to their stuff, and I choose not to participate in it.

It's not just gaming/nerd stuff, either. I think "car people" are deranged. A car is a machine designed to transport you from Point A to Point B, as efficiently and safely as is reasonably possible. I feel no more attachment to my car than I do my toothbrush or refrigerator.

I don't collect games, movies, DVD's or anything like that. I collect things that have meaning to me, one of my collections (Steiff) was started by mother as a little girl, which she gave me to when I turned 18. My grandmother gave me the glass cabinet they are in. I loved them as a kid and have continued to grow the collection. My other collect is wade animals. I liked them as a kid and my dad would buy them for me when we saw them at antique shows and garage sales, it was fun to find them and grow the collection together. I can tell you when and where I bought a lot of the things I collect, they have memories to me which I treasure.

All of my stuff is on display on shelves or in glass cabinets. My house is not filled or cluttered and my house is clean. I don't buy tons of stuff just to have it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped buying movies, music, and only own a handful of games. Still decluttering but it's quite liberating. Just not worth the hassle anymore. As a consequence of not being able to resell I usually wait for sales on iTunes, Eshop, steam, etc credit so that when I never play the games again I'm okay with it

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never collected anything, and live a pretty minimalist life.

I have very few possessions, and I have no trouble disposing of them if needed.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
This is relevant to my life situation atm. I think I'll follow your lead OP and stick to things I actually use.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I just moved today and moving all my shit cost $600. I want to edit down but I didn't feel like I could until all my shit was at my new bigger place where I can spread out and sort at my leisure. I want to throw shit away but I'm scared because I come for a poor family background where we kept everything we could use. Clothes were never thrown out because "that shirt could make a good painting/labor outfit" or "you could donate those pants or cut them to shorts" but then life gets so busy and you never do.

Ugh, cutting down is so hard. I mean I don't even have an unreasonable amount of shit, I just want to be more lean and modern but it's hard to throw out shit that works and has use when you come from a "never waste anything" family.