• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't use anything of these things in the Vanilla version and had no problem at all. They are not needed and the fights are short enough in comparison to other JRPGs (except for well that one which you warp strike to death). I don't remember the game telling me once to use these options or even showing me the cool parry options with the shield. I mean most of the useful dodge moves and more you have to learn at first too.
Are you talking side content though?

I'm not saying you would die if you didn't use them, the way health and ítems work would make sure of that being almost imposible, but any Hunt that's above level 25 (more or less) requires you to use those systems if you don't want the battles to drag like no tomorrow, even if you are substantially overlevelled.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you talking side content though?

I'm not saying you would die if you didn't use them, the way health and ítems work would make sure of that being almost imposible, but any Hunt that's above level 25 (more or less) requires you to use those systems if you don't want the battles to drag like no tomorrow, even if you are substantially overlevelled.

Yes or otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the secret boss which you get through the hunts. And no you don't need the systems when you can just warp strike to death which was the fastest and most efficient way on release (and is surely efficient nowadays too even though they added all these useless systems). The warp strike damage is one of the reasons the speedrun is so quick for this game.

I mean just look at this:

The game doesn't even give you a good reason to play differently. As long as you have potions you won't die.

Back then: Attack, Magic, Defend, Use Items, Summons depending on your current situation
Now: Warp Strike Warp Strike Warp Strike Potion and maybe a summon depending on the conditions you met

It looks great and flashy though.

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
Yeah the potions are making battles too easy. Their use needs to be limited or some other mechanic to prevent their constant use.
Also got to level 30 or so after the chapter I (if I remember the level correctly but anyhow was way too overleveled for anything). Game became too easy and didn't felt compelled to do any side quests or anything. It's pretty and kind of cool in lot of ways and still really shallow. You need to be a really huge fan. Great example of style over substance. Have still felt the need to finish it but didn't wanted to bother with the download again as I have bad connection.

Last edited:

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally its in my top 3 or top 5 of the series easily. Enjoying my third playthrough on PC right now, royal edition is very nice. For FF game combat is easily the best one right next to FFX-2.

Only bad thing to say is the disjointed story telling. Story and lore itself are pretty nice, Bros are the best, best villain in the series, awesome soundtrack and graphics and it's simply fun to play.

Don't understand the hate for combat, none of the FF games have enjoyable or fun combat. Compared to those, this is pretty fun even.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Yes or otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the secret boss which you get through the hunts. And no you don't need the systems when you can just warp strike to death which was the fastest and most efficient way on release (and is surely efficient nowadays too even though they added all these useless systems). The warp strike damage is one of the reasons the speedrun is so quick for this game.

I mean just look at this:

The game doesn't even give you a good reason to play differently. As long as you have potions you won't die.

Back then: Attack, Magic, Defend, Use Items, Summons depending on your current situation
Now: Warp Strike Warp Strike Warp Strike Potion and maybe a summon depending on the conditions you met

It looks great and flashy though.

I'm not sure if I'm not representing my point clearly, so I apologize for that

I'm not saying the combat is good, all my messages in this topic have been about how broken and unfun it is.
I'm just saying that if you don't use the tools at your disposal, hunts after a certain level are going to become a massive drag.

Your video shows a person spending more than 10 minutes on a single Hunt. That's exactly what I mean about these types of combat encounters dragging big time if you don't use the mechanics on offer. If that person had used tech attacks and tried to trigger link attacks it would have been over much sooner. That's all I'm saying.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, I treated it as like a holiday with the bros sort of game and really enjoyed that aspect of it. Going around trying different foods... Exploring for photographs and just generally enjoying the characters.
Exactly, it's a game where depending on your perspective you can either have a great time with the game or hate it.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
If you want to slightly improve the combat change to control scheme C aka Attack and defend on triggers. It greatly improves the combat flow

Verstael

Oct 27, 2017
Croatia
This game.... Squeenix should just let it die already. I am a long time FF veteran who has played almost every game in the series and this game is utter and complete garbage and should not be called Final Fantasy. It had incompetent director who was helming it and thus it became a train wreck of the game it is. I played vanilla version on launch and witnessed every patch they did to make this game more "enjoyable", for me this wasn't the case. I think Nomura's version is the one that should have been released, if any of you have played Kingdom Hearts 3 and saw Verum Rex commercial in the game you would get the sense of what might have been (Nomura is clearly not happy how Versus ended up). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRefXawjnM

Maybe the game would be better if they decided to have the last part of the game
(incomplete continent and on rails segment)
on the same continent the rest of the story is taking place. Maybe populate the game world with more towns and interesting quests and people. There is so much wrong with this game and I'm actually astonished by the good reception it got... I think newcomers to the series are the ones who actually enjoyed this travesty because they didn't fall in love with the series from games on PS one era and Final Fantasy X which was last great game that Square released in my opinion.

It is so sad that if you want to immerse yourself in the "lore" of this game you have to watch a CGI film, Anime that now has new episodes with Ardyn prologue and 4 DLC episodes of which none is particularly enjoyable or on par with expectations for this game. We will see how Episode Ardyn will fare...

In all honesty, for me, it think this game was victim of high expectations, hype and false promises... I mean how is it possible that this game had trailers for scenes that didn't even end up in the game??? how come none of the reviews mentioned this fact is baffling...

I could go on with things wrong with this game but the most offending part in the end is that this is a JRPG a Final Fantasy title that has really watered down story and this is something that has been the hallmark of the series.

Oct 25, 2017
There is a sadistic part of me that would love to see you "stick it out" so you can really "appreciate" this experience and read your final thoughts lol

Also just gonna leave this here for people who finished the game, spoilers obv

This hurts my soul. He didn't yet know Dawn of the Future is cancelled. No best girl DLC.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see

Search> this thread> "trash"

No results. I'm a bit surprised. Well, let's

Search>this thread>"garbage"
4 results.

Now i can say it's a FF XV thread. Usual overreactions.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I think Nomura's version is the one that should have been released, if any of you have played Kingdom Hearts 3 and saw Verum Rex commercial in the game you would get the sense of what might have been (Nomura is clearly not happy how Versus ended up).
Is Nomura's fault why Versus XIII ended-up the way it did though. That's why they needed to change it to FFXV.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Let's see

Search> this thread> "trash"

No results. I'm a bit surprised. Well, let's

Search>this thread>"garbage"
4 results.

Now i can say it's a FF XV thread. Usual overreactions.
I'm not going to apologize for calling the combat system a broken piece of garbage. And I somwhat enjoy the game, but it is what it is

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV is one of my favorite games to like ironically. It definitely has issues but when they say Jared died and they all act devastated even though I had no clue who that guy was, it made me bust out laughing. When the Cup Noodles quest happens and Gladio does a hamfisted ad read at the end I found it absolutely hilarious.

It's bad but it's so earnest, and I seriously love it. There are moments I genuinely enjoyed too (the ending I thought was excellent and the music is some of my favorite in any game). I got the platinum, because hell, I really like it.

I can understand how someone who'd been looking forward to this game for years, who hoped for this game to live up to the pedigree FF is known for, to be very disappointed with it. But as someone who has a peripheral appreciation for Final Fantasy but wouldn't call himself a fan and wasn't following this game in the years leading up to its release, I had a spectacular time with it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't possibly judge a JRPG after only 5 hours.

In XV case, the first 5 hours are a really good indicative of what the game offers for the rest of it's duration.

Yeah the potions are making battles too easy. Their use needs to be limited or some other mechanic to prevent their constant use.
Also got to level 30 or so after the chapter I (if I remember the level correctly but anyhow was way too overleveled for anything). Game became too easy and didn't felt compelled to do any side quests or anything. It's pretty and kind of cool in lot of ways and still really shallow. You need to be a really huge fan. Great example of style over substance. Have still felt the need to finish it but didn't wanted to bother with the download again as I have bad connection.

The problem is that the game has so many bullshit OHK attacks from certain enemies (and your AI characters will never evade attacks, unlike tails games and similar) that the current potion system is absolutely necessary for the game to not become a frustrating experience. The combat, while it has a good base, is so badly polished that the only solution was a broken potion mechanic. Think about it.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
We tried to warn poor souls like you OP on the countless FFXV threads, and don't forget if you have the Royal Edition then you are playing the best the game has ever been, you don't want to imagine how bad it was on vanilla.

I have no clue how can anyone say the "combat" is good, if you enjoyed the setting that's perfectly understandable, same with whatever story was left but I just can't forgive its gameplay, at least XIII was "Press X to win", XV is not even that, just "hold Circle (was it?) to win", you can't die and the only difficulty is how much patience you have for a fight to drag on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After about 5 bewildering and unenjoyable hours with this game, I'm struggling to find one nice thing to say.

Combat: Maybe the worst aspect of the game if it wasn't for the storytelling. This autoflow not really action but let's pretend it is combat system seems terrible. I can't even grasp how I'm supposed to have fun with this. You hold circle, dodge occasionally, unleash some team attacks or whatever, but never is it fun. I've been avoiding combat because of this and now I'm clearly under leveled.

Storytelling: There doesn't really seem to be any? The setup is pretty intriguing, but then your thrust out into the world and everything is dead in the water. Most conversations take less than a minute, don't create any sense of suspense, intrigue, endearment, nothing. Just here's some lines of dialogue and off you go, next waypoint!

Western RPGisms: Icon vomit, waypoints with little or nothing to do between (what's with all the long, silent car rides?), and constant experience gains. I did one sidequest where you walk around a town with some girl for about 2 minutes and was gifted/interrupted with exp every few sentences. WTF is this? Where is the immersion? The skill trees, the menus, yuck.

The car: This was a decent idea with awful execution. I've never understood people who say they fall asleep while playing a game, but these care rides very well may do the trick.

The setting: Where is all the enchantment and atmosphere? 1950's American with anime dudes running around ain't it.

Like, nothing about this game is working for me. It seems incredibly hallow, poorly thought out, poorly executed.

I'm just...bewildered how everything feels like it went so wrong. Ultimately, I'd like to know what people who enjoyed it found redeeming about the game. Not for the sake of argument, but maybe perspective so I can give it another go.

It's not a great game. There are better opens world JRPGs out there to play, I say ditch it. And this is from someone who completed the game. The payoff, if you can even call it that, isn't worth it.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard anyone say these things about FF XV before. What an original and much needed topic.

Sarcasm aside, go play something else my friend. Simple.

I can't think of any JRPG i like that isn't great in the first 5 hours. Some games in the genre had great 5 starting hours and got shit later, but the opposite never happened to me.

Suikoden V. One of my favorite games but damn the first 10 hours are a drag.

Same for Trails in the Sky though that ones a drag for like the first 15-20 hours.

Both take off and hit the ground running once they do though.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am confused on how people are finding combat difficult or obtuse. The tutorials, both in the beginning and in camp, do a decent jobs on introducing combat concepts. The biggest issue is really the camera as it gets stuck at bad angles quite often.

Invest points to get better window for Dodge and air combat/juggles.

Magic - read online FAQs for nuances but otherwise it's simple. It's different from previous games and honestly not that great, and I treat it more like grenades.

I personally liked the game (anime especially is a must watch beforehand) but the hate is strong on the forum. Not bothering to convince anyone.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
FF 15 lives or dies by what you think of the main four boys. I enjoyed my time with with the game despite having issues because I just loved the boys and their dynamic so much.

Pretty much.

The last few hours are the best part of the game when it ditches the terribly implemented open world design in favor of a linear experience and focused narrative. Also, Ardyn is cool.

That's about it. The game has very interesting concepts executed poorly.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
The most positive thing I can say about this game is that I had a lot of fun trading it in.

Oct 31, 2017
It's the most disappointing game ever, ever, EVER, and has an insane amount of flaws. Not only does it give me almost nothing from what I want and expect out of a Final Fantasy game, but to add insult to injury a good, like, 90% of the marketing material wasn't part of the final product.

But if I gotta be honest I miss it from time to time. I'll probably replay it, this time with Japanese voices (I realized I absolutely detest the English voice acting in the game minus Ardyn), in May or so. The gameplay loop can be satisfying and warp striking is fun, and I like the dungeons a lot. But it absolutely doesn't deserve an 81 MC; more like a 60, straight up. The writing is insultingly atrocious.

Bromancer

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't understand the hate for combat, none of the FF games have enjoyable or fun combat. Compared to those, this is pretty fun even.
I was going to disagree with you, but now I think about it, this is true for the whole series except maybe the X and XIII games. The problem is XV tried to be an action game, failed to live up to the standards for great action games, and in the process threw out the strategic depth earlier FFs had. It doesn't really deliver on anything except nice visuals, and that feels like less than classic ATB did.

I personally liked the game (anime especially is a must watch beforehand) but the hate is strong on the forum. Not bothering to convince anyone.

I remember watching an episode about Prompto and Noctis growing up, when Prompto was apparently a fat little boy living in a Japanese neighbourhood trying to be friends with Noctis. Now I haven't finished the game but at some point I got spoiled about
Prompto being a robot
and that boosted my suspicion that, like with Kingsglaive, the story in-game doesn't really line up with the expanded universe. I might be wrong about this though.

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
You don't have to like it OP, even if you are a fan of the series
(It's a bad game)

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a beautifully polished turd. But at the end of the day, it's still a turd. As someone who forced himself through it just to add it to my final fantasy completion list, it is easily the worst in the series with minimal redeeming qualities. The concepts and ideas are interesting, but it's painfully obvious that the game went through absolute hell to make and is a complete and utter mess.

If I can say one good thing about it as a whole, it's that it makes me appreciate FF13 more than I did before. THIS game, is the one worth of all the hate 13 got.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I am confused on how people are finding combat difficult or obtuse. The tutorials, both in the beginning and in camp, do a decent jobs on introducing combat concepts. The biggest issue is really the camera as it gets stuck at bad angles quite often.

Invest points to get better window for Dodge and air combat/juggles.

Magic - read online FAQs for nuances but otherwise it's simple. It's different from previous games and honestly not that great, and I treat it more like grenades.

I'm don't think most people find the combat difficult. They just think it's unfun.

The "hold this button to dodge" mechanic just isn't engaging, and the special attacks tend to be so strong that the game devolves into pretty much holding down dodge and then fishing for Blindsides / Warp Strikes / Counters. It doesn't have the depth or strategy that you'd expect from and RPG, and it isn't engaging like you would expect from an action game.

I also recall the enemy designs being pretty trash. The soldiers with the guns were clearly an enemy type that was envisioned for a different game. Battles with lots of enemies are chaotic (the camera doesn't help) and most enemies don't have good tells on their attacks, which further pushes you in the "hold dodge and fish for strong attacks" direction.

The only time I remember really getting into the combat system was, ironically, that-one-late-game-level-that-most-people-hate. Those enemies actually had good tells on their attacks, and the smaller scale of the battles helped me be more engaged with individual enemies.

(Apologies if I got anything wrong. It's been a while since I played the game, and I'm too lazy to go dig up my old posts about it where I expressed these same opinions.)

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its not for you. I on the other hand loved FFXV and put over 100 hours in it very quickly. Combat being one of the more entertaining part of the game, and I usually like games with a much higher execution barrier. I think they did really good at the balance between control and spectacle.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
It was my first FF game. dont like turn based combat, so seeing as this is real time combat, i decided to give it a go.
Since release, i have tried to get into it 3 times. with the 3rd time being quite recently (december '18)
I really liked to idea of the game, and its settings/locations and the monsters and stuff. After those first 2 attempts, the game didnt really click with me, so for that 3rd attempt last December i was trying to get into it and trying to like it, making myself play more than just the first chapter or 2. Thinking and hoping it might really grab me later on in the game.
But after 11 or 12-ish hours of forcing myself to play, i just gave up.
This game just isnt for me.....

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wrong! Maybe you dont like turnbased or semi real tine menubased rpg combat but ff has been doing that well for decades. FfXV just tried to mimick character action games and did it very badly

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The "hold this button to dodge" mechanic just isn't engaging, and the special attacks tend to be so strong that the game devolves into pretty much holding down dodge and then fishing for Blindsides / Warp Strikes / Counters. It doesn't have the depth or strategy that you'd expect from and RPG, and it isn't engaging like you would expect from an action game.

I also recall the enemy designs being pretty trash. The soldiers with the guns were clearly an enemy type that was envisioned for a different game. Battles with lots of enemies are chaotic (the camera doesn't help) and most enemies don't have good tells on their attacks, which further pushes you in the "hold dodge and fish for strong attacks" direction.
Hmm... Yes, those soldier designs we're not great, that's for sure. However I found that most enemies during hunts had great designs and properly telegraphed hits. Even most mechanical enemies did that.

I liked the general combat, teleports, slowing time down, air juggles (once properly invested) and most of the combo attacks.

That said, it's certainly not at say DMC IV or Bayonetta level of course but I liked it well enough and didn't really want that stuff in FF. The game is not for everyone but I disagree that combat is bad. It's just a bit different. The worst shortcoming is that camera angles go to shit when close to larger sized enemies and there is no good way to control them quite often.

The game overall I found great if flawed and I liked the Bros quite a bit (anime episodes are a must).

Oct 31, 2017
ot0d6yuh9gazlp1gt5wx.jpg

Dv16myyVYAE6YpN.jpg

507.jpg

I fucking wish these beautiful wallpapers were representative of the final game :( Luna's design is like my favorite ever (next to the original Stella design ofc)

Oct 31, 2017
Also if I have to be honest, I'm in the minority that actually loves Chapters 10-14 even though it's blatant that they cut out like 30 hours of content and condensed it into 5. The atmosphere is great and I'm a fan of XIII so obviously I don't mind the linearity; plus you can go back to the open world at literally any time so... yeah. Chapters 10-14, to me, feel like a slightly lower budget proper mainline FF. It's a shame that Chapters 3-9 are a fucking travesty. The game deserved better cutscenes, more story locations, like 2 more hours of cutscenes, and like 20 minutes of more CGI. Like I can't believe Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts III have way more CGI than the latest FF.

ugh

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
FFXIII is a vastly superior game imo.

The thing is 13's favour so that it's really easy to play even if you don't particularly like it. There's something about how disjointed/incoherent everything about 15 is that makes it a slog to get through. Some segments are just painful - the first time you get into a cave and try to fight with that camera system is a nightmare already.