noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
See title. It's an adventure game that takes about five hours that I found to be a triumph of writing and visual aesthetic. Seriously folks, I beat it a few days ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. In a year where I played Soma for the first time it might be the video game narrative that sticks with me the most. The characters are messy like literary characters, or dare I say people.

So yeah, I think it's fantastic, and given that basically all the achievements that popped for me were rare, it seems like very few people have played it. It deals with some heavy stuff -- your character is back home to deal with the death of her estranged mother, and the whole game is awash in climate anxiety -- but if you're down with that it has my highest recommendation.

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
I'll second that. Played it in early 2023 and I still think about this game on a weekly basis.

Just a sublime experience from start to finish.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I wish I liked this game as much as everyone else seems to. The premise is interesting and right off the bat it's an intriguing atmosphere to it (good pixel art). But I didn't really like the prose, story, how my ending was, or the general gameplay over my 5 hours or so completion time.

But it's also the only game I've played start to finish via xCloud on my phone, so that's something neat

Worth checking out at least if you have a passing interest in adventure text story games. Also play Pentiment (which I liked much more)..

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to play it, but I guess point and click adventure games just aren't for me anymore. I couldn't get into it at all. ☹️

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
M22YXhc.jpeg

Fourth'd. More people need to play it!

www.rpgfan.com

NORCO Review | RPGFan

NORCO is a hauntingly intelligent, artistic marvel that is set in the future yet also somehow nostalgic. Pixely point-and-click adventure games that house

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to start a few day ago, but just keep forgetting to play it. I've heard great things about it from the weekly podcast I listen to, a while ago.

I'm kina dumbfounded by it. Might just play it with a guide, if only for a little bit.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
I got it in a recent Humble Bundle and have been meaning to get to it. Loved what I had played. Talk about oozing atmosphere.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Going to cop, thanks for reminding me. One of my fav bands was involved in the soundtrack, Thou (check em out, fantastic progressive politics they wear on their sleeve and lyrics)

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It's a truly incredible game. I'll be more than happy to throw my name in there as another person saying to play it.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK

Has anyone gone deep into lore analysis for this? I couldn't find much in the way of explainers.

Oct 27, 2017
Worth full price, GOTY 2022 imo and one of the most transformative game exp for me. The vibes, art, story, characters and music are haunting and stay with me over a year later get on it folks

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yeah I really enjoyed it. The combat sections are a bit of a misnomer. They're more narrative devices than something you have to set a team up for. The entire thing has great mood all the way through.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
One of the best games i've ever played. This, Signalis and Chained Echoes are enough to put 2022 above 2023 in gaming releases for me.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Just to add, it's an amazing, bizarre and wonderful game. Insanely good writing and a very powerful story.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I wish I liked this game as much as everyone else seems to. The premise is interesting and right off the bat it's an intriguing atmosphere to it (good pixel art). But I didn't really like the prose, story, how my ending was, or the general gameplay over my 5 hours or so completion time.

I played it when it was announced it was leaving, so just a little while ago, and I also wish I liked it more than I did.

I liked the style of the writing and the basics of the story itself, but in interviews the lead writer talks about how it was written at least partially in a stream of consciousness, and it shows. Elements don't come together in satisfying ways (although the game does very intentionally do quite a bit of "satisfaction through dissatisfaction," that's different). Don't get too invested in what seem like its central mysteries.

Its vibes are incredible, and it has more than just vibes, but still less than you might hope. I don't regret playing it, but I wish it was formed just a bit more, it could've been something really masterful.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017

But it's also the only game I've played start to finish via xCloud on my phone, so that's something neat

Worth checking out at least if you have a passing interest in adventure text story games. Also play Pentiment (which I liked much more)..
Yeah, same. It's a game that's worth checking out because it's definitely cool, but when I finished it I wasn't blown away as much I was expecting to be

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Yes! Play it.

It may not quite hit things out of the park in regard to the story, but it oozes atmosphere.
I'd even argue the game is less about telling a story and more about painting an emotional picture.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017

Same. I liked it starting out but then the story gets more and more out there. Not really my thing.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Help me get into it. I tried playing it. Literally couldn't understand the controls or what I was supposed to do at all and eventually gave up with the idea that games need a better tutorial if they want me to engage.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Norco transcends its medium, which makes me want to recommend it to people who don't even play games. just an amazingly told story.

Colasante

Nov 5, 2017
Agree! Loved Norco, definitely recommend anyone who thinks they might have even a passing interest in it check it out.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's a short one, can be completed in about 6 hours I believe. But definitely one of the more interesting point and click games of recent years. I recommend checking it out.

Well, I went ahead and bought it because I don't want the pressure + it's an indie game. Will be checking it out soon! Does it have the old lucasarts style of puzzles that are just overly weird or is it a more narrative affair?

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I went ahead and bought it because I don't want the pressure + it's an indie game. Will be checking it out soon! Does it have the old lucasarts style of puzzles that are just overly weird or is it a more narrative affair?

I'd say it relies more so on it's atmosphere and writing. The puzzles are not anywhere near as obtuse.

Oct 27, 2017
I took my foot off the gas and barely started. Does the going offline trick still work to keep playing gp games after they're taken down?

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Loved Norco, played it when it dropped onto the service and it's one of the most memorable Adventure games I've played in years.

SnakeEater

Oct 31, 2017
Started it thanks to this thread, played for couple of hours. Good so far, atmosphere is thick af, story is intriguing. Thanks again, OP.

OP
OP
noinspiration

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Help me get into it. I tried playing it. Literally couldn't understand the controls or what I was supposed to do at all and eventually gave up with the idea that games need a better tutorial if they want me to engage.

Have you played a point-and-click adventure before? It's pretty much one of those. You get to a scene, click on points of interest that are usually looking at something or talking to someone. Occasionally you pick up items, which you then use to solve puzzles. These are basically all about using the correct item in the correct place. Every once in a while the gameplay changes, like there are a few silly turn-based battles, but the above is the gist. It's largely a story game, though if you turn on adventure game mode you can make the puzzles a bit more rigorous. Does that help?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the recommendation noinspiration this seems to have completely passed me by unnoticed.

I get terrible anxiety and depression so I do tend to shy away from stuff that gets too "real" if that makes sense... however.

After reading impressions and some other stuff, I decided to buy it. Dont want to have to rush it, and I do like to make sure indie devs get the full money if possible.

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
played this in 2022 because it got some prestigious awards and im sold

while I loved the industrial town vibes and ambience of the game the story does not really touch me it felt so mid

OP
OP
noinspiration

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Thanks for the recommendation noinspiration this seems to have completely passed me by unnoticed.

I get terrible anxiety and depression so I do tend to shy away from stuff that gets too "real" if that makes sense... however.

After reading impressions and some other stuff, I decided to buy it. Dont want to have to rush it, and I do like to make sure indie devs get the full money if possible.

I definitely get where you're coming from. I didn't play Norco when it came out because the subject matter hit too close to home. For what it's worth, the part I had the toughest time with was the very beginning, when you're alone. Once you start meeting other characters and getting into the plot it eases up a bit.