Dec 23, 2017

Recently I finished my first play-through of Steambot Chronicles.

I've written down and summarized my adventures with the game. It was a lot of work! If you don't mind spoilers on a 15 year old game then check out my thread:
www.resetera.com

LTTP: Steambot Chronicles (PS2) - "A non-linear adventure! Steambot Chronicles!"

Finally got my hands on one of the games I've been wanting to play for awhile! I've had my eye on this game since I found out about it early last year. From what I researched, its an open ended sandbox game with select-able dialogue options and mech combat. It honestly reminded me of the Way...

-

"I hope you enjoy it! Steambot Chronicles!"

steambotbanner-747x309.jpg

Oh boy, where to even begin...I love this game. A lot.

Steambot Chronicles is really charming, it's like a cross between the chill atmosphere of something like Animal Crossing, with the non linear adventure of...let's say Way of the Samurai series. However, this game has its dark moments so it's not always cheerful.

When I say Way of the Samurai, think "Choose-your-adventure" type of game where your actions or dialogue choices can effect the outcome of a situation.

Put in Trotmobiles and you got Steambot Chronicles! The game is surprisingly packed with content:

- Large open world
- Wonderful story & characters
- Lyrical Songs (You can rehearse these when you want.)
- Playable instruments (Harmonica, Trumpet, Piano, Violin, etc)
- Customizable Mechs (Trotmobiles)
- Customizable Home ownership
- Mech combat
- Mini games (Arena Battles, Billiards, Battle Mode, Fossils)
- Lots of shops (Clothing & Accessories, Food vendors, Trotmobile part vendors, a Stock Market, Hotels & Inns, Antique Shop)
- Interactables
- Side quests
- Dungeons
- Dating mechanics

sbc_logo.png

I might be missing something but one thing that really stood out to me was the option to play music on the side of the road.

Are you hungry? Do you need food? Play an instrument on the side of the road and get passerby's to give you money for your performance.

The better you do, the more money you get! That should help to buy something like bread to fill your empty belly.

Another thing I wanted to point out was the number of objects you can interact with. If you're curious about something, let's say a picture frame or a bookshelf, there is most likely a text bubble to accompany it. There might even be an item you can obtain!

I also want to mention the two ways you can explore towns. You could either explore the town using your Trotmobile, or on foot.

If you explore on Trotmobile, the game will automatically have you obey the traffic lights and ongoing traffic to get to your destination. If you're on foot, then you can simply run to where you need to go and disregard the traffic rules.

Now I want to focus on Trotmobiles.

There are plenty of Trotmobile parts to choose from, from varying body & leg type sizes, to grills, back frames, weapon types, etc.

For weapon types, there are melee weapons, shooting weapons, chain weapons, and shields.

You can also ram into other Trotmobiles using dash attack and spec your Trotmobile to do more damage when ramming.

-

There are a few things that I didn't like or kept me from enjoying the game more.

The first one being the Trotmobile controls, they were complicated to use but at the same time it gave me the impression I was using a two-lever system to pilot it. So I guess that's part of the charm.

159790_FUL.jpg

Still, I found myself getting confused with the controls during combat or general movement.

The second thing I disliked was the backtracking later in the game.

I was hoping the train station would help alleviate the backtracking but for some reason there weren't many destinations to choose from.

Perhaps the options are locked behind a side quest I need to do.

Anyway, there are still things I haven't touched yet and I can't wait to dive back in!

-

d42c0b0da25a937b8cedb787ada8ac7f.jpg

Last edited:

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest problem with this game was all those loading screens. I remember that first big city you visit being a chore to explore because of them.

I think the controls are fine, they are very similar to Katamari Damacy's (which is one my favorite games).

Overall its indeed a very lovely game. Its an ambitious game with very creative ideas if flawed execution. Its that kind of b-tier japanese game that we all miss so much.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game! It doesn't exist in a digital store these days, right? Would love to play it again but I'm not trying to find a disc

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
My biggest problem with this game was all those loading screens. I remember that first big city you visit being a chore to explore because of them.

I think the controls are fine, they are very similar to Katamari Damacy's (which is one my favorite games).

Overall its indeed a very lovely game. Its an ambitious game with very creative ideas if flawed execution. Its that kind of b-tier japanese game that we all miss so much.

Yeah, I'm sure the controls will grow on me over time.

I love B-tier japanese games, I'm always on the hunt for these.

I loved this game! It doesn't exist in a digital store these days, right? Would love to play it again but I'm not trying to find a disc

Unfortunately I don't think so.

Your best bet is to try and see if any of your local vintage/retro stores carry it or if they have it in their system.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
This was one of the last games I got on my PS2 & it was a great way to go out!

For what it's worth the game did get a spin-off on PSP
Steambot-Chronicles-Battle-Tournament_PSP_US_ESRB-E10.jpg

It's not as good as original but it's decent.

May 10, 2019
This game is probably in my top 10 of the 2000s, severely underrated. I'm hoping Granzella considers doing some sort of successor to this after R-Type Final 2, because I know the original is really special to Kazuma Kujo, but it took so long for Irem to fully commit to backing his plans for a PS2 (then PS3) sequel, that he didn't even get any developmental traction until just before Irem shuttered home software development in 2011.

We'll always have a couple of TGS trailers though.

From 2006 - when it was a PS2 game.

The PS3 version in 2007.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
A sequel was planned for PS3 and they released a couple of screenshots/trailer, it got canned though and probably won't come back :(
Irem the original developper gave up on video games, a lot of former staff went ont to create Granzella to keep making games and they did resurect a more than half a decade year old project in the name of Disaster Report 4.
But to come back to a 15y old project is one step above in term of commitment, it remains to be seens what is the legal state of the IP in the first place and I unfortunately don't think Bumpy Trot was that much of a cult hit in Japan

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it to bits! I went in with no expectations and it turned out to be like my dream game!

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017

I turned my copy of Steambot Chronicles into an ISO so I could play it on PCSX2 emulator. It has a few visual bugs but nothing too serious.

But yeah, there are quite a few loading screens. They weren't too bad for me because I have the game installed on my SSD.

Well, looks like another hidden PS2 gem I need to be on the lookout for!

I put in about 22-25 hours into it so far, and there are still a lot of things I haven't done yet.

I really enjoy the game, I hope you are able to find a copy!

Pls no :(

I'd probably play it if I had the chance.

This was one of the last games I got on my PS2 & it was a great way to go out!

For what it's worth the game did get a spin-off on PSP
Steambot-Chronicles-Battle-Tournament_PSP_US_ESRB-E10.jpg

It's not as good as original but it's decent.

I kinda wanna get this now but I haven't used my PSP in practically a decade.

I threw out the battery too in fear that it would expand and explode.

This game is probably in my top 10 of the 2000s, severely underrated. I'm hoping Granzella considers doing some sort of successor to this after R-Type Final 2, because I know the original is really special to Kazuma Kujo, but it took so long for Irem to fully commit to backing his plans for a PS2 (then PS3) sequel, that he didn't even get any developmental traction until just before Irem shuttered home software development in 2011.

We'll always have a couple of TGS trailers though.

From 2006 - when it was a PS2 game.

The PS3 version in 2007.

I've watched the trailers several times now and they just ooze charm.

You also see Basil in there which makes me assume we would have seen returning characters from the first game.

A sequel was planned for PS3 and they released a couple of screenshots/trailer, it got canned though and probably won't come back :(
Irem the original developper gave up on video games, a lot of former staff went ont to create Granzella to keep making games and they did resurect a more than half a decade year old project in the name of Disaster Report 4.
But to come back to a 15y old project is one step above in term of commitment, it remains to be seens what is the legal state of the IP in the first place and I unfortunately don't think Bumpy Trot was that much of a cult hit in Japan

It would be awesome if they could somehow revive the project. Hopefully they don't do something like a "spiritual successor" because I feel like it wouldn't be the same.

I noticed Disaster Report 4 is on steam. If they ever do revive Steambot Chronicles 2 (Bumpy Trot 2), I would LOVE a PC port of the game.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Are you hungry? Do you need food? Play an instrument on the side of the road and get passerby's to give you money for your performance.

The better you do, the more money you get! That should help to buy something like bread to fill your empty belly.

I wonder if there are games that can scratch the itch for this part. The "sim" part is easily my favorite element of the game.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
they call them steambots but they use internal combustion engines powered by gas, literally unplayble imo

srsly tho i still have my steambot mini harmonica somewhere

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Kujo seems to still want to do a new one, last he was asked around a year ago, iirc. He bought the IP along with Disaster Report IP so he could finish 4. Would be a waste of money if he didn't make use of the IP now that he owns it at Granzella.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Kujo seems to still want to do a new one, last he was asked around a year ago, iirc. He bought the IP along with Disaster Report IP so he could finish 4. Would be a waste of money if he didn't make use of the IP now that he owns it at Granzella.

Wait, was that confirmed?

I thought Granzella only bought the Disaster Report IP. :o

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wait, was that confirmed?

I thought Granzella only bought the Disaster Report IP. :o

Hm, I seemed to recall news reports saying he bought the rights for Steambot Chronicles/Bumpy Trot along with Disaster Report, but appears I may be wrong, he did say this at the end of his interview with Jeremy Parish end of last year though:

PRIMA: Besides Disaster Report and R-Type, what other former Irem properties is Granzella working on? Is there a chance for Steambot Chronicles 2 to finally see the light of day like DR4 has? It's been a long time since the TGS demos of Steambot Chronicles 2, but it was quite impressive.

KK: We're currently receiving a large number of fan requests, which we're looking into as much as we can. So, such sequels and more may be possible! As for Steambot Chronicles 2, we're working hard to make it happen, as we feel it deserves to be.

Granzella's Kazuma Kujo on the Rebirth of Disaster Report 4

The series' visionary talks about localization, real-life disasters, and Steambot Chronicles 2.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking of trying the game again lately. I've had it since its original release but wasn't able to get into it back then, but it's always stuck with me regardless. Seems I have to give it another go one of these days.
i think it was a preorder bonus? iirc it actually had bumpy trot written on it
Yeah I have that too, it was a pre-order bonus.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I wonder if there are games that can scratch the itch for this part. The "sim" part is easily my favorite element of the game.

May I suggest the Way of the Samurai series?

While you don't play music on the side of the road, you play as a wandering samurai.

Just like Steambot Chronicles, your actions and dialogue choices effect the outcome of a situation.

i think it was a preorder bonus? iirc it actually had bumpy trot written on it

Oh, lucky! Is it an actual Harmonica?

I did a quick google search, is it this?

s-l400.jpg

Hm, I seemed to recall news reports saying he bought the rights for Steambot Chronicles/Bumpy Trot along with Disaster Report, but appears I may be wrong, he did say this at the end of his interview with Jeremy Parish end of last year though:

Granzella's Kazuma Kujo on the Rebirth of Disaster Report 4

The series' visionary talks about localization, real-life disasters, and Steambot Chronicles 2.

Hmm, I think I've read the article from other sources. Though, the one that I read didn't mention Granzella owning the Steambot Chronicles IP I think.

If Granzella does indeed have the Steambot Chronicles IP, then I guess it's just a matter of waiting. They know people want Steambot Chronicles 2. :)

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
May I suggest the Way of the Samurai series?

While you don't play music on the side of the road, you play as a wandering samurai.

Just like Steambot Chronicles, your actions and dialogue choices effect the outcome of a situation.

Oh, lucky! Is it an actual Harmonica?

I did a quick google search, is it this?

s-l400.jpg

that is indeed it, it actually is a mini harmonica that works.

for those that liked steambot chronicles, the ridepod in dark cloud 2 had some similarities.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
It was super ambitious and really pulled off most of what it wanted. I do wish people talked about it more.

I never got to finish it... why? I got too busy making my in-game apartment pretty

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
My Trotmobile is looking pretty beast.

CzqIsWk.png

I also bought an apartment in Nefroburg for 15 UR a day. Not too bad.

uXtwBKo.png

It's pretty empty right now, I need to buy and find more furniture. I kinda donated most of my stuff to the museum.

The other day I found out that this game doesn't have New Game+. I was pretty sad because there are missables in this game.