• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
To the point where I'm not sure I should open it and just return it. The thing is this is the lowest I have seen any Xbox SSD in my time of being an owner since launch, but last year I bought an SSD with double the space for my PS5 for only $100. Its baffling to me that this clearance sale was considered a good price almost 4 years later for Xbox SSD's as 1TB is not much given the huge size of most retail games and regular updates they get that are several GBs.

Is there any hope that we will be seeing more competitive, lower Xbox SSD prices anytime soon? I have this idea in my head that SSDs for Xbox will drop soon (now that I bought one lol) and I will be stuck with a pretty overpriced 1TB card and as it only has one slot. Its pretty frustrating really.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If they haven't budged even after competition opened up 3.5 years in, just accept the "sale" price and enjoy the room. I did for a similar price a year ago. Like all pricey purchases…time heals the pain.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
If they haven't budged even after competition opened up 3.5 years in, just accept the "sale" price and enjoy the room. I did for a similar price a year ago. Like all pricey purchases…time heals the pain.

Its regularly $150 so it was a good discount, but man 1TB in today's world is not much. It just doesnt seem like a good value for the space and money even though I bought it on pure impulse

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Those cards are still too expensive for what they are.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Its regularly $150 so it was a good discount, but man 1TB in today's world is not much. It just doesnt seem like a good value for the space and money even though I bought it on pure impulse
Even with more competition, this is a proprietary part that the manufactures are not going to sink margins for.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ mean, I️ wouldn't pay 100 for only a TB of storage but if you have to deal with data caps and what not I️ guess it's worth it. rather just have a reg external in that case

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for one on the cheap for my series S in Japan, and I can't find a reasonable price at all. Anyone want to ship me one for cheap?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If it makes you feel any better, it was barely over a year ago that I paid 170 for a 1TB drive for the Steam Deck. 2230 cards just used to be stupidly expensive. It's only just recently they've gone into reasonable territory.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's a great price for the XSX card but it's not a great price vs outside options (which aren't compatible and thus, moot). I understand feeling a bit cheated by it, but if you don't stick with this one and consider storage to be at a premium, you'll probably regret ditching it later when you can't get it as cheap.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's terrible value given how much similar space can be baught for PC and such. Still…whatryagonnado

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well, that's price you have to pay for form factor and plug&play. Also, standard SSD prices have risen by 20-30% since January, at least in EU.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
If you need it, keep it because I don't see them dropping in price significantly any time soon. If living with the built in space is an option I'd recommend that.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
The 2TB card should be $100. Biggest mistake this generation was going with a proprietary expansion drive, in my opinion.
Hell, I'd buy the all-digital version of the console if it had a standard-ass M.2 slot, but I doubt it will.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you compare the price of 1TB for every other form of storage on the market, it is absolutely too much.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
While that isn't a good price for the data amount it is a good price for the actual product. I need space on my Series X and have been putting off buying one of these for years.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I know what you mean, OP. The proprietary SSD cards are giving me flashbacks to the Xbox 360 era.

I'm waiting for a good sale on Xbox SSD cards too, preferably 2TB, but it looks like they won't be cheap until this gen ends.

But $105 for an Xbox 1TB SSD is good, all things considered. I just wish it was lower.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
When I was selling my PS5 at Gamestop the other day I was browsing all the accessories and could not fucking believe the cost of the expansion cards were still so high.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Is adding more storage an actual pressing issue for you? if not, you should probably return it

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I got a 2TB recently for my PS5 for $100. Couldn't imagine dropping any money on Microsoft storage unless it's a very steep discount.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the card from Woot for $89 last year and still feel like I overpaid. (Though outside of price for space, it's because of my own issues with Xbox, but that's neither here nor there.)

If you're already feeling like this and you haven't opened it, return it.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Uhm have you seen the current SSD prices?
A half decent PCIe 4.0 2TB SSD starts at 120 dollars
Yeah the rush is over as of the start of the year, but you are still paying roughly half the XB card for 1tb, and $100 less for 2tb.

That's what I mean. The adapter exists. They could open it up to other drives if they wanted to.
The manufacturer partners they have, likely agreed to this deal because they are restricting drives from others.

Everywhere, prices dropped to $50 for 1tb, $100 for 2tb, and just under $200 for 4tb.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
with the jacked up prices of nvme currently (NAND Shortage) $105 for 1tb isn't the worst at the moment.
Most 1tb nvmes with heatsinks are around $89-99 currently because of the shortage.
2tb nvme with heatsink was around $120 around the Holidays but the prices have been getting worse since due to the shortage.
$105 is good for the current card. Is it ideal? no, but it's better than the $220 these things launched for back in 2020.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Proprietary memory remains a scam.
Sad thing is from the teardown it doesn't really look like anything is proprietary. Plenty of CFExpress to NVMe adapters out. I'm sure MS could've made one for $20 bucks (Definitely not charging us that) and allowed you to use any off the shelf NVMe as long as it exceeded the required specs. I suspect it is some sort of deal with Seagate and WD that prevents this.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, you technically overpaid in absolute terms given that standard M2 SSD are ridiculously cheap. But given that the Xbox doesn't support said standard SSDs, this is likely the best you can do given you have no other choice.

In other words, you got a good deal for what it is. Be content with that because it's not like there are other options.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
SSD prices for the PS5 have crept back up for some reason. I got a 2TB card for $120CAD last year, but they aren't that cheap anymore.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Prices for something propritary suck. I got a 1TB just last year on a price drop, it was still too expensive. But 2TB seems to be the sweet spot for the amount of of games I have. I do have an HDD plugged in to cold store anything I might want to install later and that has everything else.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
SSD prices for the PS5 have crept back up for some reason. I got a 2TB card for $120CAD last year, but they aren't that cheap anymore.
www.trendforce.com

[News] Market Anticipates a 50% Price Surge for NAND Flash in Short-Term | TrendForce Insights

After a rebound from the decline in NAND prices, the current quotations still show a gap from reaching the breakeven point for suppliers such as Samsu...

tl;dr, overproduction post-COVID lead to too much inventory which led to prices dropping. Manufacturers are now struggling to break even on NAND flash so they reduced production causing a reduction in supply and an increase in prices.

I think there was even a topic here telling people to buy late last year / early this year if they thought they were going to need a drive because prices were set to go back up.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
www.trendforce.com

[News] Market Anticipates a 50% Price Surge for NAND Flash in Short-Term | TrendForce Insights

After a rebound from the decline in NAND prices, the current quotations still show a gap from reaching the breakeven point for suppliers such as Samsu...

tl;dr, overproduction post-COVID lead to too much inventory which led to prices dropping. Manufacturers are now struggling to break even on NAND flash so they reduced production causing a reduction in supply and an increase in prices.

I think there was even a topic here telling people to buy late last year / early this year if they thought they were going to need a drive because prices were set to go back up.

Thanks for the info.

I'm so glad I got my SSD drive when I did then. Having those two extra terabytes makes my PS5 so much more convenient/easy to use.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I was willing to pay for the extra storage but my disc drive failing twice on my series x made me not want to dump any money into it anymore. I'll just stick to what I got

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the annoying fanboy rhetoric around how difficult SSD's in the PS5 were to install but most of us new proprietary was going to end up like this.