• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
If I opened up a food truck (fun fact I actually have one) near wendy's and served deluxe gourmet cheeseburgers for 10 dollars, would I be seen as expensive or just servicing a different market if I didn't come down to Wendy's burger prices?

Nintendo's games aren't significantly better in quality on the whole than the games of numerous other companies that do more regular price drops, so I don't think that your analogy holds.

To OP, buy Switch games used.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It just is what it is win Nintendo.

I mostly buy physical, often with GCU (RIP) or Prime 20% discount, and sell after I'm done to keep costs down. You at least benefit on the flip side when selling since resell value stays high.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
That's the risk you take when you buy day 1 especially from ubisoft or EA. For most of us I think it's not really a problem and you can get most of your money back between deals like GCU and trading the game in.

There's nothing more irritating then wanting to try a game but not at full price, but knowing that 3 years from now it'll still probably be $60 and $50 "on sale". That's not doing anyone any favors except Nintendo.

If I'm purchasing a game at launch I'd much rather do it knowing the game will retain the majority of its value.

Regardless, my point was that Nintendo not dropping the prices of their game doesn't equal them ripping anyone off and some would argue the exact same to other Publishers for dropping the prices heavily. In the end, each Publisher is going to handle it the best way that suits them and each strategy has its merits and downsides, but neither are "ripping people off".

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Value for your money;
Stardew Valley
Lumines
Pocket Rumble
Thumper
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Bloodstained: Curse of the moon
Hollow Knight
Shovel Knight
Death road to Canada
A Robot Named Fight
Steamworld Dig 2

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo didn't give a fuck about competitive pricing even when they had a failing console, why on earth would you think they would care now?

Treat Nintendo as a secondary platform for exclusives and nothing else. Everything you could get is going to be cheaper elsewhere and perform better.
This.

But some people can't afford or simply don't want another console, which is completely understandable.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I've a Switch and the sole reason I've yet to own Splatoon 2 is cause it's barely ever on sale where I live and I ain't dropping full price for it.

I've waited this long, and I'll wait longer.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
I usually don't mind Nintendo's prices for games. It's better to have $60 games than having microtransaction bullshit. However, I do think that they need to reevaluate their e-shop prices. There is no reason for digital Breath of the Wild to cost the same as physical.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of this is true, but for over 30 years everyone has known Nintendo games tend to stand the test of time moreso than most.

Nintendo knows this.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, digital on switch is pretty good.
Europe pricing seems kind of bad, though. It's MSRP in the states.

Ebay sells codes for 15% off every once in awhile, with MyNintendo you can get games for 20% off which is what I've been doing
Digital prices are ok in Sweden, 52.5 Euros give or take vs 59 retail. Plus you get the gold coins

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
People calling other companies games "disposable" are funny. Kirby doesn't magically becomes more valuable than God of War because it comes from Nintendo haha

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't mind Nintendo's prices for games. It's better to have $60 games than having microtransaction bullshit. However, I do think that they need to reevaluate their e-shop prices. There is no reason for digital Breath of the Wild to cost the same as physical.
No publisher is undercutting retail prices in a big way without loosing retailer support. The MSRP prices on other system are also high as hell in digital ..Fifa and co. won't be cheap on any system on Day 1 digitally.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's the worst part of buying a Nintendo console. Either you buy a Nintendo game within the first couple months or you feel as if you are getting ripped off (which you are).

It's very anti-consumer.

I always felt that buying a game for 7000¥ on release then seeing it discounted to 4000¥ the next week was the rip off. Buying a game and having it retain its value is a good thing.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always felt that buying a game for 7000¥ on release then seeing it discounted to 4000¥ the next week was the rip off. Buying a game and having it retain its value is a good thing.

I can definitely acquiesce with this PoV being someone who spent £50(!) on Evolve. Yes that game.

Though the opposite way of thinking is not without merit either of course.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will never for the life of me understand how people will defend companies like Nintendo for stuff like this

nothing about their shitty ass pricing model helps you

you're not only allowing them to insult your intelligence...you're defending and praising them for it

it's mindblowing.

you think Zelda selling for $59.99 3 years after its release is going to somehow cause more games to come to the Switch?

the fuck lol

no, you're just getting ripped off

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
if you're serious about digital, switch to the american eshop for better prices.

switchitter

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
The consoles, yes, but Nintendo games are infamous for never depreciating in price unless they're exceptionally bad. Like Other M. Most popular games can be found at a steep discount 6-12 months down the line, usually for $20-$30. Nintendo's games float at $60-$50. Game-wise, it's double the price.
what you said right there is the crux of the whole argument

"Nintendo games never depreciate in value unless they are exceptionally bad"

One could extrapolate from that:

Most third party games and games for other systems do depreciate in value quickly, therefore they must all be exceptionally bad.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But we are talking about third party support comparable to PlayStation consoles, you could even make an arguement for the Switch having great third party support currently but when compared to PS4 it isn't really true.

Now this I disagree with, I don't think there is anything special about Nintendo games compared to the other platform holders that makes them immune to slashing prices if they had their support, if I'm looking for an open world RPG and there is BOTW going for $60 but another 4-5 games going for $30 then I'm go for the cheapest ones, that is of course if I'm interested in them, hell even if there weren't anything like that from third parties you would still be able to find more games you're interested on and you could spend your money on them.

Now that is not the only reason of course bu I think it's the biggest one.
So now third party support needs to be on the level of the PS consoles. Nice goal post moving there!

Wouldn't you agree that PS consoles get BEST IN CLASS third party support? So why should a Nintendo console receive BEST IN CLASS third party support in order for us to see these discounts you are assuring us we'd see if only they had better third party support. I just had no idea that when you said better third party support you were comparing it 1:1 with the PS library! Jesus Christ!

How then do you explain why Microsoft games also see significant discounts when their third party support is not as good as Sony's? Refocus your argument, buddy

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
It's the main reason I buy multiplats on my ps4 instead. Battle Chasers was $20 CDN vs $40 on Switch. Doom is still ridiculously priced compared to ps4.
That being said, I hate buying a new game only to see it drop significantly in price a couple months later.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
I will never for the life of me understand how people will defend companies like Nintendo for stuff like this

nothing about their shitty ass pricing model helps you

you're not only allowing them to insult your intelligence...you're defending and praising them for it

it's mindblowing.

you think Zelda selling for $59.99 3 years after its release is going to somehow cause more games to come to the Switch?

the fuck lol

Nintendo's business model is completely different from the companies they are competing with and it's going to affect how they price their games (and when they decide to discount them). It's not about defending them, it's about accepting that this is reality. Nintendo generally only discounts games once they've saturated the market by selling a ton of copies; discounting those games can bring in new players or make legacy platforms a more appealing value prop overall (see: 3DS right now).

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly the main reason I haven't brought a switch, it's not just the hardware that's too expensive but the games rarely go down in price, I pick up any other console and games that are a year or more old I'm looking at at least half price, Zelda, Mario, Kart etc are still near retail price new or used which is crazy to me, games over a year old I'm not going to be paying anywhere near £40 for. As much as I love the software output from Nintendo on the switch the really high prices pretty much means I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a difference between acceptance and defence. Nintendo's business model is completely different from the companies they are competing with and it's going to affect how they price their games (and when they decide to discount them).

Except their chosen business model allows them to create and sell hardware/software with a better profit margin from the jump

so at the end of the day, the only thing that's really causing their pricing is greed

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Now this I disagree with, I don't think there is anything special about Nintendo games compared to the other platform holders that makes them immune to slashing prices if they had their support, if I'm looking for an open world RPG and there is BOTW going for $60 but another 4-5 games going for $30 then I'm go for the cheapest ones, that is of course if I'm interested in them, hell even if there weren't anything like that from third parties you would still be able to find more games you're interested on and you could spend your money on them.
I don't know, if people want to play BOTW instead of this hypothetical equivalent that is just as good as it but maybe slightly different 3rd-party game that is cheaper, they would probably still choose BOTW possibly because of the name, franchise, and marketing despite it being a $60 game for years to come. Note that's been awarded and advertised as GOTY from many outlets so it's labeled as a "must have game for your Switch for years to come". Maybe there will be a lot of people buying the cheaper but equally great game, but their will still be enough people to buy this Nintendo title that it would not encourage them to discount their games.

Just look at Pokemon and all of its competitors on the Nintendo handheld family.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It holds. you want better quality and craftsmanship you need to pay for it.

Meh. I love Nintendo first party stuff, but they're no higher quality objectively than Sony or MS's best games or the best third party developers and all those go on sale more often.

Nintendo just has a more cornered market by dominating the kid/family niche and handheld gaming, along with having poor AAA third party support. Thus they can get away with it more as people buy their hardware for those games, vs Sony and MS having to compete with the AAA third parties and all their sales on their platforms.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surely we've reached a point where people realize that if you want Nintendo games, you pay Nintendo prices.

If you don't want to pay Nintendo prices, there's several platforms and literally hundreds of games released every year that fit your spending behaviour.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Nintendo's games aren't significantly better in quality on the whole than the games of numerous other companies that do more regular price drops, so I don't think that your analogy holds.

To OP, buy Switch games used.

It certainly holds for those of us who respect fun and game mechanics above all else. I still remember falling into The Last of Us hype as the 'game of the forever' only to actually play it and determine it was a slow boring game to actually play, then made a topic asking if it ever picks up and got berated because 'it's not meant to be FUN it's an EXPERIENCE'. The reality is, for those of us who grew up playing games in a skillful manner, we grew to appreciate games at their gameplay level first and foremost. This isn't just a Nintendo philosophy, but they are one of the only large publishers that focus on that as the priority.

The difference between myself and others though, I'm able to understand why others enjoy TLOU for what it is, and why it might be special to them, but the same people almost can never see why a game like Super Mario Odyssey is special. Hell, these sorts of people often go as far as to say Mario is always the same because all you do is save the princess, which totally ignores the entire ground up reworks the actual games themselves have been given for decades. This implies that for some reason they have chose games as their means to experience plot and value it more than anything else, a bit of a bizarre medium to choose for that, but hey.

I haven't played the new God of War yet because i'm absolutely unsure of what to expect, is it a fun game with a great atmosphere or will it be another slow walk boring game experience that i'm not particularly fond of? I've had to divorce myself from what many gamers now consider the most important thing, and look towards people who have like opinions more so then ever to determine if a game works for me. In that end, i'd rather pay 200 for a 3d Mario game than 10 dollars for Detroit, because I consider it entirely against my taste as a gamer. Since so many games have veered away from mechanics as the focus, it is becoming something I am willing to pay a premium for to continue having.

OP
OP
Sikamikanico

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of interesting commentary in here, appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

I guess as someone who hadn't owned a Ninty console since the N64, I was kinda surprised older games still kept their price so high. Usually if you wait a year or more before purchase, you can get that benefit of a wider selection of somewhat cheaper games to choose from - but that's obviously not quite the case with Nintendo. Will definitely go physical, and more than likely preowned to save some pennies.

*continues hunting for a cheap copy of Zelda.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
As it's stated multiple times, welcome to Nintendo consoles. The majority of first party games hold their value.

If anything, I've become conditioned to never buy any non-Nintendo console game at launch because I know the price will drop significantly in 3-6 months. I buy all the Nintendo games at launch, then after I clear the backlog a bit, pick up some forgotten Sony first party games for dirt cheap around Black Friday.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's honestly the main reason I haven't brought a switch, it's not just the hardware that's too expensive but the games rarely go down in price, I pick up any other console and games that are a year or more old I'm looking at at least half price, Zelda, Mario, Kart etc are still near retail price new or used which is crazy to me, games over a year old I'm not going to be paying anywhere near £40 for. As much as I love the software output from Nintendo on the switch the really high prices pretty much means I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon.

How can you love the software output on the Switch and at the same time think it's all overpriced and something you're not going to be subsequently able to enjoy until years after the fact? Isn't that a contradiction? Do you simply not think that the games are worth £40 to begin with? Because I paid £40 for most of them and yeah they're worth that IMO.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the the past few years we've had many games (Horizon, Witcher 3, MHW, Uncharted 4, God of War etc) that are of far higher quality and craftsmanship.
It sounds like you should be blaming the buying public. Why did they stop buying Horizon shortly after it launched? Sony (or retailers) caved and dropped the price to $10. Yet people are continuing to buy BotW (and other Nintendo games) in droves. People, STOP!!!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo does lower prices. It just takes a while lol.

Both the Wii U and 3DS have Nintendo Selects titles. The Switch is barely a year old.