• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Which pc services use a single account for multiplayer across multiple games? I know steam has a service for this. But who else?

Right now I have a steam friends list, an origin friends list, and one for destiny 2.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You get free games, a massive complex infrastructure and a bunch of other services and features on both - including is some cases massive cloud matrices. Most of the games on those are available on PC if you prefer, but sometimes those games are hampered by precisely the lack of the aforementioned features (not always, admittedly) and the first party exclusives are what they are. You can take 'em or leave 'em. As far as I can tell, both PSN and XBL owners are satisfied with those services enough to (in a significant majority of cases) renew each year. I imagine both sets of users would prefer all that were free, but there's really nothing weird about what those services are, or their cost. It's all rationally justified by the businesses and the consumers. And both also enable features for smaller games that may not otherwise have been able to include.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Which pc services use a single account for multiplayer across multiple games? I know steam has a service for this. But who else?

Right now I have a steam friends list, an origin friends list, and one for destiny 2.

Why is this an issue? Are you also lamenting the fact that Snapchat has a separate friends/follow list from Instagram? (They're literally the same company even!). Do you then scream when you have to login to Facebook to speak to your friends there?

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
Its like $40 a year on sale, and they both go on sale a few times a year. I really don't see the big deal. The free games alone make it worth the cost. I sub to both PSN and XBL gold and think its worth it for both.

FWIW I dont think a gaming PC is worth the cost though. There are very few good PC exclusives IMO.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Why is this an issue? Are you also lamenting the fact that Snapchat has a separate friends/follow list from Instagram? (They're literally the same company even!). Do you then scream when you have to login to Facebook to speak to your friends there?

Yes Having multiple accounts is a huge pain and the one thing I really hate about pc gaming. I have credit card and personal info across 4 or 5 different services.

On my consoles all games connect to all my friends and all my games are purchased from the one store. That's a huge plus.

The funny thing about this thread is that I game on consoles like maybe 5% of the time. Lol

Feb 8, 2018
They provide service for it... so why not? I'm more than OK for paying for the service I'm getting.

I think the problem many people have with it is comparable to DLC. You get a game, but after you complete it you don't feel like it was as big and great as you thought. Then 1 week later they reveal that cool DLC but you've already paid full price. Luckily this doesn't currently appear to be the case as most big budget titles got fleshed out story modes. You already payed a big chunk of moneys for your hardware, but they want you to give them more on a regular basis. No one says remove PSPlus for those who want it.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
I think the problem many people have with it is comparable to DLC. You get a game, but after you complete it you don't feel like it was as big and great as you thought. Then 1 week later they reveal that cool DLC but you've already paid full price. Luckily this doesn't currently appear to be the case as most big budget titles got fleshed out story modes.

I am so not following what you were trying to get at. Is this actually in reference to the paid online services from PSN and XBL?

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
More people need to use shared accounts to access PSN. There's no reason everyone you know who plays PS4 should all be forking over a full $60. Cheat Sony like they cheat you.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's hoping Sony increase the PS+ price and add more 'features' like local co-op behind the PS+ paygate lol

Black Knight

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony online services this generation are a lot better than the previous generation, you can tell easily that their services developed a lot, also after raising the subscription prices we started to get better monthly free games, not to mention it helps Sony makes more profits so they can afford developing big budget single player-only games like Horizon Zero Dawn & God of War without thinking about turning them to game as service games, unlike what Microsoft is doing with their titles.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Still get away"? It's widely accepted and even Nintendo is doing it soon. Consumers didn't fight back hard enough when MS did it, so companies just do it. I mean, why not? Insane profits basically for free.

It's all on the people that support it, just like pre-order shit, DLC and microtransaction. If no one would buy it / boycott it, they wouldn't do it.

This. So much this. Sadly we cannot influence the general populace.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Sony online services this generation are a lot better than the previous generation, you can tell easily that their services developed a lot, also after raising the subscription prices we started to get better monthly free games, not to mention it helps Sony makes more profits so they can afford developing big budget single player-only games like Horizon Zero Dawn & God of War without thinking about turning them to game as service games, unlike what Microsoft is doing with their titles.

There's literally zero correlation with what they choose to develop and the money you're shoveling into their pockets while claiming they're improving their services and offering you "better" free rentals. You defeated your own argument by citing Microsoft, even.

Black Knight

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's literally zero correlation with what they choose to develop and the money you're shoveling into their pockets while claiming they're improving their services and offering you "better" free rentals. You defeated your own argument by citing Microsoft, even.
If playing online and getting 4+ games monthly for 60$ per year is not worth it, then what is?

The company is making a lot of profits because of it, think about all the company losses from other departments, if 60$ per year is enough to keep Sony going strong then they can have it from me, but whoever don't find it worth it then he can vote with his/her wallet, it's as simple as that.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
how does $60 a year not equate to $5 a month in your part of the world?

v v v

For the same reasons you can't choose to pay $1 for a day's access, or $3 for a week, you can't choose to pay $5 for only a month (aside from third party options).

This. It's not actually $5 a month. To get the equivalent of that price, you have to drop $60 all at once. If people could actually choose to pay $5 a month here or there when they feel like playing a multiplayer game, it would probably be a lot more palatable to those people.

And yeah I know, it's not that much in a vacuum, but it adds up when you have multiple systems, especially now that Nintendo will be charging for online.

At least on PSN you don't need + to play f2p games or use party chat, so I guess that's something.

You are wrong.

The few games that required online passes were for specific games & publisher.
It didn' t matter if you had one or two PS3s.

Edit: to be clear, PSN Pass was used to combat 2nd hand reselling on specific titles, and not as a platform wide way of having paid online. Basically what nearly every other publisher was doing at the time, from MS to Ubisoft, EA being the worst offender.

I don't recall Microsoft using online passes actually.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
I rarely play games online and IMO PS+ is worth it just for the additional and exclusive discounts it offers.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
You're still not getting it.

You're platform bias is clearly coloring your perspective on the issue.

Let's try again shall we...

Last gen. Sony didn't charge for online play. MS did. Both of these entities are private sector corporations, publicly owned and thus beholden to shareholders. Despite these facts one platform holder was able to demonstrate to the market and to consumers that the online infrastructure and provision of services for online play can be funded completely by revenues generated exclusively from the online store, and thus there was no need to charge gamers to play online.

The other platform, demonstrated that charging for online provides record-setting profits for basically free, and that not only will gamers be willing to pay for such a service, but they'll actively defend it.

Neither of the platform holders were wrong in their approach. MS were simply more aggressive. Thus, if anyone is to blame for all platform holders charging for online play this generation, it is the gamers who paid for XBL last gen. and also vehemently defended it. People like yourself.

You're persecution complex for MS is blinding you to the fact that you're the very reason why we (as gamers as a whole) can't have anything free); not even MS.

MS made so much money last-gen through digital content distribution on their store that they could have funded their online server many times over and still had change left over. Similarly, Sony is in the same enviable position with their PSN store profits. There's literally nothing that necessitates the additional online fee for gamers to play online, outside of the companies' appetite to make more money at the expense of their consumers.

Gamers like you are the ones who enabled this, by not only being willing participants but actively defending the practice of charging for online play, merely because you thought the service you were getting was better than what others who didn't pay were getting, despite the fact that MS could easily have delivered the same level of service even without the subscription fee (since that wasn't even remotely their only source of revenue from the platform).

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Like I said, you literally don't know what you're talking about yet you have the gall to call other people ignorant.

Well, I was talking of SONY themselves. I can't think of any Microsoft or Nintendo game on the 360 or Wii that needed an online pass to play them if bought 2nd hand, should have been more clear.
It was a bad practice that SONY did themselves and it would pretty rubbish to blame the likes of Codemasters for it. Like I said from Resistance 3 onwards it was clear the direction SONY was going in and that was looking to charge for Online play. Not that was wrong, SONY and MS should be allowed to charge for offering a service imo

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It sucks primarily if you own both consoles. You don't want to pay online for both so you only pay for one, and that's the console that you end up using.

Meanwhile the other collects dust. My Xbox has barely gotten any use since we dropped live for PS+ in November; basically blu-ray/streaming machine

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I might be confused about what you're saying, but Snapchat and Instagram are not the same company. Facebook and Instagram are, so maybe just a mix-up?

Don't most services allow you to import friends from FB (I know people don't trust FB now tho)? So that kinda fills the void.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I was talking of SONY themselves. I can't think of any Microsoft or Nintendo game on the 360 or Wii that needed an online pass to play them if bought 2nd hand, should have been more clear.

No, you said that if you wanted to play a 2nd hand game on PS3 that you needed to pay for online access, and that this was only on Sony consoles. That's a false statement. I literally gave you a list of games on Xbox that required an online pass if bought 2nd hand. There were over 30 of them.

You then called people ignorant for telling you that you were wrong.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I don't plan to renew my PS+. It is ridiculous. Especially considering you can play the same Xbox One games on PC online for free, but they charge for it on console. Both should drop it, and theres not a chance in hell I'll pay for the nintendo online service either.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
This. I have actually saved a bunch of money being a PS+ subscriber. The discounts plus the monthly games have me wondering why people claim it is such a ripoff...

I'm not seeing the issue.
It's putting a paywall in front of online and in front of sales is not something that should be commended. You should be able to experience the whole product when you purchase it and sales should be for everyone. Hell I'd rather them add a dollar or so to game prices then charge for online. But its more business friendly to have monthly subs with predictable upcoming income.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I might be confused about what you're saying, but Snapchat and Instagram are not the same company. Facebook and Instagram are, so maybe just a mix-up?

Don't most services allow you to import friends from FB (I know people don't trust FB now tho)? So that kinda fills the void.

I confused my social media companies (Instagram is owned by FB) and Snapchat is the separate one. But the point is still the same.
Some PC online clients (like Steam) can also import your contacts from Facebook, so... again the point is the same. Being fleeced is still being fleeced.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And again you seem to brush aside some people don't want to manage these things. Just like some people don't want to manage finding drivers for their pc parts, could be another reason why they like the simplicity of game consoles.

What's next, defending no built in voice chat when wet can all just use our smartphone?

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
It's why should we as console gamers have to pay to play online. In principle, we shouldn't, but it's because of perspective like yours who cape hard to defend the practice, that we all have to pay.

If I think a service is good, I don't mind paying for it. I went online with the Saturn and it wasn't great then online with DC , which was quite limited but fun and the PS2 online service was a bit of a joke. When I went online with LIVE and MM III It was a totally different service and where the difference was so pronounced, it was worth the fee MS asked.
Its got nothing to do with caving in and everything to do with being happy with the service and the marked difference to what was on offer to its rivals. I think both PS+ and LIVE are good services, products and I don't mind paying for them. I see DLC as more of a rip-off as well as Season passes when one buys a game full price, you should expect all the content.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I agree with this in principle as I don't think online gaming should be behind a paywall especially when it's peer to peer service unless individual game makers provide their own servers.

That said, it would be a bad finanaical decision or me to not pay for PS+ even if I didn't game online. It well more than pays for itself between the extra discounts on digital games in PSN sales and there always being at least a few of the included "free" games each year being things that I would have bought eventually otherwise.

It just sucks that Sony put online gaming behind the paywall when PS+ was orginally just the "free" games and extra discounts. I'd still pay for that service. Hell, I'd pay for that on Steam if they offered a couple games a month and extra 10% or whatever off sale titles. But many wouldn't and putting online gaming behind the PS+ wall generates a ton more subscriptions.

So I don't like it in principle, but I'll pay as it saves me money in the long run. And it's very cheap relative to our income. Way less than the average dinner with drinks and tip for the wife and I so it's hard for me to personally care much. Though I do empathize with it being more a burden for people living paycheck to paycheck or worse off. But that also just is what it is and keeping up with current games is really just too expensive a hobby if you're in dire financial straights. When I was broke as shit I was gaming a generation behind, buying dirt cheap used old games etc.

Whilst I see what you're saying, I think this perspective ignores the fact that PS+ didn't start being offered, with online play behind a paywall, this generation.

Last gen., when we did have at least one option for playing online on console for free, we still had the service that offered free games and discounts that more than paid for itself in terms of it value for money. If anything, I'd argue strongly that the value for money offered by PS+ last generation, in terms of the quality and scope of "free" games and discounts offered, absolutely shits all over what Sony has offered so far with PSN on PS4... and it's obvious why. By holding online play hostage behind a paywall, PS+ went from being a service that offers unquestionable value for money to the consumer but was optional, to one that was absolutely necessary to be able to play online but at the same time dipped significantly in its value proposition.

Many people in this thread arguing for the paywalls on the LIVE and PSN services are citing the free games and discounts as a key feature, however, once again, Sony demonstrated last generation that they could roll and additional service that provided all these without holding P2P online play hostage. I'd much prefer the PS3 version of PS+ than the PS4 version, because at least with PS+ being optional, there was a much bigger imperative for Sony to boost the value proposition with respect to the free game and discount offerings.

If I think a service is good, I don't mind paying for it. I went online with the Saturn and it wasn't great then online with DC , which was quite limited but fun and the PS2 online service was a bit of a joke. When I went online with LIVE and MM III It was a totally different service and where the difference was so pronounced, it was worth the fee MS asked.
Its got nothing to do with caving in and everything to do with being happy with the service and the marked difference to what was on offer to its rivals. I think both PS+ and LIVE are good services, products and I don't mind paying for them. I see DLC as more of a rip-off as well as Season passes when one buys a game full price, you should expect all the content.

The issue is, the service =/= the subscription fee. Taking away the fee doesn't mean the service disappears.

The same XBL service offered on PC remained after MS removed the fee.

I think you and others are making the mistake of thinking correlation = causation, i.e. that MS having the better service is because they charge for it.

MS is a software company who specializing in that arena as their primary corporate bread and butter. XBL would have always been exceptional as a service whether gamers paid for it or it was funded through the Live Store revenues.

Equally by the same logic, Sony charging for online play during the PS3 generation wouldn't have made the service any better, when a lot of the issues with PSN and online play were more to do with the console and it own hardware/firmware limitations (e.g. limited OS RAM footprint, poor internet adapter + dodgy software stack). The service server backend during the PS3 era is the same; i.e. Amazon Web Services servers.

Last edited:

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
And again you seem to brush aside some people don't want to manage these things. Just like some people don't want to manage finding drivers for their pc parts, could be another reason why they like the simplicity of game consoles.

What's next, defending no built in voice chat when wet can all just use our smartphone?

Ahh yes, drivers. Those things that PC users did in the early 2000s before computers were capable of updating themselves. It's not like consoles have updates or anything as well.

If I wanted to go down the rabbit hole of whataboutism, I'd say: What's next, defending paying for those updates?

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I paid for each of them for two years and it was a waste of money. Why? Nothing to show for it now. Those "free" games aren't available anymore.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I rarely play games online and IMO PS+ is worth it just for the additional and exclusive discounts it offers.
This. I have actually saved a bunch of money being a PS+ subscriber. The discounts plus the monthly games have me wondering why people claim it is such a ripoff...

I'm not seeing the issue.

I'm actually not a fan of this angle. Maybe I've been spoiled by Steam in this regard, but there is absolutely no reason to put greater discounts (during sales) behind a paywall other than to entice you to spend money on said paywall.

I suppose getting discounts at launch for certain games is a stronger argument (similar to Amazon Prime or Best Buy's GCU), but not really for big sales (like Golden Week).

you haven't used a computer since 2005 have you

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's putting a paywall in front of online and in front of sales is not something that should be commended.
This is nothing new though. People on here constantly talk about how good GCU is, and that is literally just a discount that you pay for. Amazon Prime is something similar, where you get free delivery. The idea of paying up front for discounts down the line is a pretty common thing and generally people pay it because it saves them money in the long run.

People without PS+ still have access to sales on PSN, but PS+ subscribers usually save a bit extra.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Remember when Sega did online for free with voice chat implemented later? No, because not many people embraced it back then. Then MS did it with OG Xbox and a subscription fee and it was the best thing ever.

No it's not. It's $60 a year, $20 every 3 months, or $10 a month.

I didn't know there was only 9 months in a year. My life is a lie.

Last edited:

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Things are worth what people are willing to pay for it.
  • I can't believe people pay 100k for a car when a 15k car does basically the same thing and the speed limit is 65mph.
  • I can't believe people pay 5$ for coffee at starbucks.
  • I can't believe people pay 100$ for windows when Linux is free
  • I can't believe it's not butter (seriously, people pay for this?)
  • I can't believe people people pay 50$ at retail for something that costs 2$ out of the factory in China
  • Et cetera

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I switched over to PC for online gaming, and barring some bad hardware failure during the crypto price gouging boom, I would not go back. Fortnite on PS4 is the only online console game I have played in ages. There is little chance of going back to either service unless/until the monthly games are ones that I don't already own and want to play. I can get more games I want to play on bundle sites for $60 per year, and that is only accounting for one of the console subscription services. Couldn't imagine subscribing to both at the same time.

PixelBastard

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
suppose sony/ms separated the non-online benefits of ps+/xbl gold into two separate buckets, where the extras like free games and exclusive discounts were still behind a paywall, and core online functionality like online multiplayer and cloud saves (well, cloud saves are free on xb1, but not so on PS4) were free.
how many people would still buy the membership?

i know that i did fine on PS3 without PS+, because multiplayer was free, even though cloud saves would have been nice.

How many ?, Too many for these companies to give users the option at this point. They've already jacked the price up and it will only continue to rise, slowly but surely.

Oct 27, 2017
This is nothing new though. People on here constantly talk about how good GCU is, and that is literally just a discount that you pay for. Amazon Prime is something similar, where you get free delivery. The idea of paying up front for discounts down the line is a pretty common thing and generally people pay it because it saves them money in the long run.

People without PS+ still have access to sales on PSN, but PS+ subscribers usually save a bit extra.

How I look at it. Combine (for the US anyway) linking your PSN to Sony Rewards account, all those 5x points (even more with a PlayStation Credit Card plus the cash back on it), not to mention the even sweeter deal of getting rewards points for unlocked trophies, etc., you then can get PSN cards cashing in your rewards points. You end up not having to pay for PS+ if you game quite frequently.