• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat under the radar due to it being an Early Access title on PC, but it is nearing completion and the game itself is fantastic all-around. Close to 20,000 reviews on Steam and currently "Overwhelmingly Positive".This is the first Early Access title that I've purchased and don't regret it one bit, it's a-ok to get into this one if you're on the fence about it not being "complete" yet. If you've played any of Supergiant's games (Bastion, Transistor, Pyre), then Hades may look and feel familiar with an added rogue-like flair. And as you can expect from Supergiant, the gameplay is tight and responsive with gorgeous visuals. I also think the voice acting is superb in this game and features some really fun banter between all of the characters you interact with. They're getting ready to launch v1.0 on PC and console platforms later this year, so I hope they also have a CE of some sort with an artbook. Anyone else think Hades could sneak into some GOTY lists later this year?

Some art from the game:
Hades_Superstar_WP1.png

Hades_Post_Thanatos.png

Wallpaper_Logo.png

Hades_Post_Chaos01.jpg

Gameplay:

Last edited:

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I played the beginning of early access and it was superb fun and challenging. It controls very well and it's easy to distinguish the environments and where enemies are. I don't have a PC now so when it launches I'll happily jump in.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
its an amazing game.

Fun, gorgeous, deep, generous, varied and touching.

Also, trademark Supergiant godlike art & music.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, most of us haven't played it, so I don't think we can say right now.

It's def on my most anticipated list tho

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
is it finally hitting consoles this year ? While being PC only wouldn't necessarily prevent the game from getting some recognition it would certainly give it more of a spotlight once they're out of early access.

Otherwise from everything I've seen it has certainly strong chances, especially with how strong the story and gameplay is in most SuperGiant games.

Cobra

Mar 2, 2019
I want to get this, but I want to wait for the PS4 version. It does look amazing though.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game but my 8 year old PC could barely keep up with it, played Early Access as soon as it released and then put it down after a few days because I want to play what they consider a polished release on a console that can handle it properly.

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game but my 8 year old PC could barely keep up with it, played Early Access as soon as it released and then put it down after a few days because I want to play what they consider a polished release on a console that can handle it properly.
You might want to try jumping back in, the most recent update, Blood Price, included a large technical overhaul to help optimize the game better

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked it up when it hit EGS. It's very slick but I found it just couldnt hold my interest.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
The game is incredible but honestly I don't see mainstream outlets giving it to a rogue-like. It's become a dirty word to too many media editors.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
You might want to try jumping back in, the most recent update, Blood Price, included a large technical overhaul to help optimize the game better

Hmm, maybe I will try it on PC first when 1.0 releases. It played largely fine in windowed mode 1080 but Megaera had some slow down when shit got hectic. Thanks for the heads up.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
not to diminish Hades but does a game in early access ever won GOTY?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am confident in saying that Hades is one of the best roguelikes ever made.
  • Incredible art, some of Supergiant's best character designs. A lot of it, too
  • The most well-thought-out, polished early access game I've ever seen (Dozens of hours and not a single bug that I'd even call an inconvenience)
  • Tons of great, well-realized characters
  • Excellent voice acting, and a LOT of it (Last update alone had more voice lines than the entirety of Bastion)
  • Plays like a dream (super responsive, quick action)
  • Huuuuge amount of variety (A bunch of weapons that are INCREDIBLY different, and the perks you get each run change them DRASTICALLY)
  • Engaging story, a really enjoyable take on the mythology it's based on
  • Great progression, every run it feels like you come out of it with something earned
  • Every run feels new and unique, half because of the combat variety and half because of story events
  • Difficulty is handled well, incentivized to challenge yourself incrementally by adding challenge modifiers for additional rewards
  • Doesn't feel cheap, no instakill unless you very specifically go for a really risky build with hard challenge modifiers
I've done something like 80+ runs of this game and have been invested in every single one of them.

Hades.png

Megaera.png

V7rBBZYCDqR62B5970dtGYMAkrmhTgnSxY1UcqgkdXU.png

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
I've never heard of this game but after watching some trailers, it looks like a very cool version of Diablo. Even the names are similar!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Independent games rarely get GOTY recognition.....2D rogue-like games even more rarely receive that distinction.

In a year with Halo Infinite, The Last of Us 2, Animal Crossing, and Ghost of Tsushima, I think Hades will be edged out pretty easily.

There's also the problem that it was released over 18 months ago. It may technically be eligible for awards due to its Early Access status, but critics will largely favor titles that debuted and released within calendar 2020. The hype and interest surrounding the game has kinda come and gone. I can't think of a time where a game with over a year in Early Access went on to win GOTY.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It's a roguelike, it's not on consoles, and it's not an exclusive.

So it will pick up a low single digit number of GotYs.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I hate rogue likes in most cases but I can not wait for this games full release. My ass will be getting it day one. This dev always does an amazing job.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
This game is the real deal people. Trust the guy with the BOI avatar ;)

Even if you don't usually check for roguelites/likes, please give this game a try. The reviews on Steam are wholly justified.
  • The gameplay is fantastic
  • The visuals are beautiful
  • There is a ton of content
Seriously, just go buy it now. You're welcome.

I hate rogue likes in most cases but I can not wait for this games full release. My ass will be getting it day one. This dev always does an amazing job.
It's barely early access as it is, seriously I can wholeheartedly recommend a purchase right now. The 1.0 release will be long since released by the time you get anywhere near bored!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
is it finally hitting consoles this year ? While being PC only wouldn't necessarily prevent the game from getting some recognition it would certainly give it more of a spotlight once they're out of early access.

Otherwise from everything I've seen it has certainly strong chances, especially with how strong the story and gameplay is in most SuperGiant games.

Nothing has been said about console versions.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'm holding off for 1.0, I love rogue-lites but don't want to get burned out during EA. Definitely looking forward to it.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a roguelike grab me the way this game has (Sorry younger brother...still love Risk of Rain :P)

The way that you get small upgrades and story between run makes me feel like I'm making progress also.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yep, it's run-based. When you die you go back to a hub, spend whatever you earned to get a bit stronger and try again. Which part of the genre is it that turns you off?
The randomized nature of it, and the lack of narrative focus.

These games are so close to being a proper ARPG but they lack the story and map design. It's just mindless.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
The game is absolutely phenomenal on every level.

You never get tired of runs because of the insane diversity of the weapons and combinations you can create with boons

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I picked the game up this week and man, it's fantastic.

I expected the gameplay to be good, but the art and character interactions have blown me away.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it the last couple days. I REALLY like this game. I tend to trail off from other roguelike games because they feel samey after awhile, and I usually hit a wall at some point and can't progress, but the story in the game makes me want to keep going plus. Plus after almost every run, a new event happens in your base, which I appreciate.

This might be in the running for my favorite Supergiant game. It's really cool.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing has been said about console versions.

From a Supergiant developer that responded to an inquiry on Steam last year:

Hey, we expect to bring Hades to additional platforms once our Early Access is complete sometime in the second half of next year. I'm reluctant to flat-out say 'Yes!' only because we haven't officially decided on all those platforms yet, though we're definitely thinking about console as part of our plans going into next year. Thank you for your interest!

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Is there a linear story progression in this game? Like you uncover more story as you get farther in your runs? I love everything about Supergiant games, but the writing is such a key part of the experience for me. I can't wait to dive in when this game comes to consoles. Haven't they only confirmed that it is coming out of early access later this year, but not confirmed any consoles at this point?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I liked rogue likes more. There's clearly a ton of love put into this and the Gameplay and story that's there is great. I just also bounced off rather hard after like 30 minutes which was a bummer.

Really glad people are enjoying their time with it though!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is there a linear story progression in this game? Like you uncover more story as you get farther in your runs? I love everything about Supergiant games, but the writing is such a key part of the experience for me.

Yes, of a sort. There's a proper story framework for the roguelike structure and as you do more runs and get further in, you meet more characters to chat to between runs, unlock more lore tidbits and push the overall goal of game further forward.