• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you already know about Clapton's racist past?

• Yes

Votes: 371 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 529 50.5%
  • I never knew it was this bad

Votes: 147 14.0%

• Total voters

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'll be honest, I knew he was anti-immigration but did not further research, which is my bad. It's way worse than I ever thought. I think I'll actively cancel him in my house. Cream is one of my favorite bands ever, but that's mostly due to Ginger Baker's brilliance (who was also an asshole BTW, but not racist as far as I know), so I will continue listening to Cream.

Here's the full quote from Clapton. I didn't know about it until he had a duet with Babyface back in the mid-90s as a way to make himself seem like he's apologizing for his past. After that, he could fuck off with his mediocre sounding music.

Blamed it all on being coked out of his mind and alcohol abuse.
Not to mention one of his biggest hits is a Bob Marley cover. What a piece of shit he is.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
LOL no. Not even remotely close, personal opinions aside. This is beyond a "hot take" for both decades. Sabbath and Queen merely existing disproves this, amongst a host of other bands from those eras.

No argument here, however.
I agree with the poster. The Clash are literally one of the best bands of all time and one of the best of their era. It's not as much of a hot take as you think. Unless you metric is the number of top 10 singles.

Last edited:

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
You are downplaying it ffs. I'm compelled to make a bowie thread so everyone can show their ass with this guy. HE HAD SEX WITH A 13 YEAR OLD GIRL THAT IS NOT A PERSONA. HE CALLED HITLER A ROCKSTAR AND APPLAUDED FASCISM, THAT IS NOT A PERSONA.
Please don't put words into my mouth.

Perhaps I could've worked my post better, but there was a reason I started the second paragraph with "In regards to..."

What some rockstars did in the 70s was and is fucked up, and I'm in no way downplaying it.

As for the Nazi thing I feel we can only judge him for what happened after the Thin White Duke period, otherwise you're implying no one can change.

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly didn't know about this because I've never liked Clapton's music or had any interest in him, and I was born decades later. Fuck him, though.

Music is subjective. I could say how I've never liked Queen musically, finding their music trite and boring pop rock, and their lyrics uninteresting trash. Sabbath are okay, but compared to The Clash? Hahaha. But that's all subjective; essentially, I just won't listen to you on music, nor you me.

However, Queen are objectively shit politically. On topic example for here, they were the ones to break the cultural boycott of South Africa. Bands wouldn't play there as an organised protest against Apartheid but that didn't matter to Queen one bit when against lots of criticism they toured there anyway. Fuck them forever for that alone but there's much more if you want to go read yourself. Fuck Queen.
To be totally honest I don't even care for Queen, I just feel they're very well respected from a musical/songwriting standpoint. I'm not even sure why I mentioned them actually.

Sabbath is a hill I'll die on though. Best band of the 70s by a country mile and crazy, crazy innovative.

But yeah very much subjective. Fair play.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Which was written about his wife Patty Boyd. Who had been his best friend George Harrison's wife. Clapton went after her while Harrison was still married to her. Layla and Wonderful Tonight is about her (as is the Beatle's "Something")
Wasn't George Harrison screwing Ringo's wife while he was still with Patty Boyd? I seem to remember hearing that.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Booze doesn't somehow make you spout opinions you don't really believe, it merely removes any inhibitions and lets you say what you really mean and think. It is such a cop-out to blame substances for racist outbursts. He meant that shit and is still an utter scumbag.