• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So like, if nothing ever released again and I mean NOTHING, I would need about 3 lifetimes to finish the games I want to finish but never have/can. Do people actually finish everything they start or do they play an hour then move on and beg for more one hour sessions of the next big blockbuster game? What's your situation?

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I finish every game I start. Gaming is my primary passion in life and I have a good amount of free time without a lot of responsibility outside work. It's not hard for me to have no backlog.

From my perspective I've always been somewhat baffled by the "oh god…my backlog!!!" stuff.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
"Backlog" is a state of mind.

Most everyone either has games they own or (more broadly) have some interest in that they haven't yet played. But not everyone cares enough about those games or feels obligated enough to actually play them.

I remember times in my life where there was literally one new game a year I was interested in that I ended up getting it and playing it. Some people are in that spot more often, and that "one game" getting delayed hits harder.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I have so many games I want to play right now that I often struggle to choose one, so I'll never understand people who complain about lack of games.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
while a delay for an anticipated does make me sad, I usually get over it pretty quickly knowing the amount of shit I have left to finish lol

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I tend to play each game I'm interested in to completion before moving on to another game. I don't really buy games I don't intend to play immediately unless the discount is too good to ignore. I have maybe 10 games in my backlog accumulated from the PS4+PS5. I don't have a Switch backlog.

There are certainly games I am interested in that I would go back and buy if I had nothing to play. I've wanted to play the Metro series for a while. But for me it's not like people with 200+ unplayed Steam games they could play until they die and never finish.

Mopr3me

Banned
Jan 10, 2022
Some people, like me, have a limited time to play games and whos enjoyment of gaming is fading over time, and therefore have a very specific type of game to invest their time in. And believe it or not, I am looking forward to those AAA games of which there have been very few for current gen.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have short attention spans and love to get endlessly locked into the hype cycles for big AAA games regardless if they play or like them.

I'm currently re discovering GTA V and playing some indie games and having a great time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy games unless I intend to play them right away. If a game slips into my backlog, it's because it wasn't good enough to stick with.

So no, I don't have a backlog of stuff I need to get around to. Just abandoned games I got bored with.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
to those people I always want to say: try new things, go outside of your comfort bubble

there are more incredible games out there at any point in time than anyone could reasonably finish.

"droughts" don't exist. no matter the platform.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same situation as you.

Even if I played 6 hours a day and didn't work, there are enough games coming out each year (and that I already want to play) that I wouldn't be able to catch up. Part of the issue is that I really like RPGs, so (for example) I want to play P3 and P4, as well as P5R. Hundreds of hours right there.

I don't mind it though - just means there is always something to play, and always something fun on the horizon.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I can't imagine someone that is ONLY interested in the type of game you mention would be particularly interested in playing stuff that isn't brand new....the hype of it being a new release is a big part of the appeal no?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be like this, but then I realized how fucking tiresome it gets when you have a backlog. Now I just play any game whenever I feel like and stop playing whenever I feel like too. I still have the final boss in ER not beaten and I haven't opened the game in over a month and it feels liberating.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Kinda feel the same way. Would definitely take me years to get through everything I'd want to play.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess some people might have narrower tastes and only play 1 or 2 games a year? Maybe if that was the case you might be wanting only the biggest titles with really high budgets and not care about the rest.
Can't quite understand it myself, especially with services like Gamepass and PS Plus you'd think people would have more than enough choice, but this is the only justification I can think of.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I usually get and beat what i want. And I'm tired of the limitations of the last gen. So i have no problem letting go and moving forward.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really complaining about lack of AAA games, but as for backlog, nope, I have none.

I always focus on a single game (and since GaaS became a thing, I play one gaas game on the side) and move immediately to the next. Right now I'm at a point where I'm simply replaying some games (currently going through DMC5, and moving to Ace Combat 7 soon). Been doing that for over ~15 years now and not planning on changing it up.

Dry periods like these are also the reason why I love BC. Been replaying Ninja Gaiden 2 (OG) each year for almost 6 (?) years now, it was nice to finally retire my 360. BC rules, this is why I'm never complaining about 'few' AAA games on slower years.

Backlog?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I only buy games I have time for and I don't buy every single game under the sun. Time is finite. Plus, why would I spend money, especially on a game day one, that I wouldn't play for months or years when I could get it when I am ready to play it? Bound to be 75% off or even more.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I have no backlog in terms of owned games as I sold off old consoles and games at the start of last gen and set a policy of only buying a game to play immediately and not buying another until that one is beaten or dropped for good.

That said, there are plenty of games I haven't gotten around to so I'm never hurting for stuff to play—especially in the era of Gamepass, PS+ Premium etc. I don't have the broadest tastes so I'm not always playing something I'm as excited for as the cream of the crop AAA narrative driven stuff that's my main jam as there aren't enough of those to fill my gaming time. But plenty of things that are fun enough and if nothing else just trying a bunch of games on those services until I find something that clicks with me when waiting for the next game I'm truly hyped for to come out.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
They prob only play one big game a year and don't check out anything else is why they want another big AAA game so badly.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I think it's weird to only want to play new releases when there's a 40+ year goldmine of games. Hell even the past 10 years has THOUSANDS of worthwhile games.

I like to mix it up with a current title here and there but most of what I play is just catching up on stuff that came out a year ago or more.

Rackam

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2021
Some people only go to cinemas to watch blockbusters.

Now think about them playing VG.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't get it. Tons of stuff to play. Just case your retread favorite franchise didn't get a special announcement this "e3" season" doesn't mean there's nothing to play.

I guess Reggie was right. "Gamers are insatiable" lol.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even that.

There are hundreds of games released every week. Have these people really bought and played every single game that's out there that looks interesting to them?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this too. God damn guys there's SO MUCH to try and play right now don't limit yourself to this AAA stuff
I agree
I see Nintendo fans declare any year without zelda or mario as a "drought" and it comfuses me even as a fan of those franchises
I guess Reggie was right. "Gamers are insatiable" lol.
I always agreed with him, people clowned him for that statement but he was absolutely right

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Not everyone feels compelled to play everything. Others might only like specific genres or franchises. Or just see a game they think looks cool, play it and move on.

This is the good majority of people who play games tbh.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Some people just don't play 'old' games. A friend of mine would only play single player AAA games on or close to release date. He can't fathom why anyone would play 'old' games.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I start a game, play 30 minutes, don't touch it for 3 months and then start it again because I forgot what was going on, play 30 minutes and repeat.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
My backlog has a backlog.

I have games I bought in 2021 I havent even played yet..yes they were released in 2021....And numerous from 2020 that I played an hour or 2 and just left it and played something else.

Oct 28, 2017
I've never had a backlog. The concept of it just doesn't even enter my mind. Either I'm playing a game or I'm not. If I'm not playing a game it doesn't exist in what so many others seems to think of as this thing called a "backlog".

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
May and June were kinda dry months me and as a result I managed to complete 6 platinums including FF8 and Dark Souls lol There is always something to play..

THAT said...sometimes you do just wanna play the greatest and latest release. It's just how it is.

GARU

Oct 16, 2020
I feel like people just feed off the hype for new releases and that matters more to them than actually enjoying a game.

There are SO many godlike games out there, even if you do nothing but game all day there's probably something amazing out there they haven't even tried yet.

I spent the last few months beating Persona 5 after never playing one before and I loved it so much it automatically added 3 and 4 to my backlog.

So much to play ...

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There are sooo many games on all platforms that I want to play that I'll never have the time for that delays to make games better is very much welcomed.

If all you play is AAAA then you need to broaden your horizons.

I feel like people just feed off the hype for new releases and that matters more to them than actually enjoying a game.

Yeah this is definitely a thing, there are people that are more interested in being hyped than actually playing games.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I mean, I subscribe to Game Pass a month (or two) ago and that immediately gave me 60+ games to my backlog. I already had a backlog on my PS4, which I sold, and some backlog games (maybe 4 or 5) on my Switch. So yeah. I'm also with you OP. I like hearing about games and all, but I just don't have time to play them all. I can play from 30 minutes (most of the days) to 3 hours (rarely) daily and it is not enough for me to tackle my backlog. So I don't honestly feel any rush in getting new announced games. Even tho I love seeing them.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
If there is a new game out there that has caught my attention, I'll buy it and finish it right away. I never had a backlog problem.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i don't get it

I admit this year has been very quiet for my tastes but i don't really care cos of the backlog and sales etc