• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
MOD EDIT: Added the sources in for these quotes.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/03/...and-captain-phasmas-showdown-in-the-last-jedi

http://www.slashfilm.com/finn-love-interest/

Apparently, the actor himself with disappointed with the brevity of his character's "big fight":

"Yeah, man, I didn't expect it to be that quick if I'm being honest with you. I was like, wait, wait, what? He's been like ramped up for a big fight and then it was over in a second."

Dude is openly sharing what he'd like to see happen with his character romantically:

"Because Finn is the one character, for me, who has a distinct, unique relationship with everybody. He had this kind of banterous relationship with Han, then he has this loving relationship with Rey. Now with Rose, it feels like he has this great relationship. Personally? Rey. Yeah, Rey."

There was another quote about him liking being a producer from Pacific Rim Uprising due to having his input considered but I can't really find it, maybe someone else will

either way, as I watch the Last Jedi deleted scenes; a significant amount of Finn's story is left on the cutting room floor. An alternate opening started with Finn, a BB8/Finn scene was cut, more Finn/Poe, more Finn/Rose, Finn being recognized by a Stormtrooper on the Supremacy, long Finn/Phasma fight with characterization from them both...

I don't think it's controversial to say Rian Johnson didn't seem to like Finn at all but to leave all that Finn stuff on the cutting room floor is some shit. I wish he wrote Finn as good as all the other poc characters in his filmography... lmao

I'm not surprised John wants Finn and Rey to be together romantically, honestly. Even Rian Johnson had Rey smile big when she was finally reunited with Finn, those characters are supposed to be together, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He said he wanted the robots in Pacific Rim to go faster and apparently they listened to him on that. Farther away he is from creative input the better after that IMO.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, he shouldn't. His entire "arc" in TLJ was garbage.

I wonder how Oscar Issac feels about how they handled Poe.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Does anyone like what they did with Finn?

They blew it in TLJ by tokenizing him - shit was so lame.

They have a chance to fix it if the series ends with him & Rey but we'll see.

Boyega was rad in TFA, so maybe JJ is a little more comfortable making the colored dudd kick ass.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The movie was overstuffed with a lot of useless shit. For Rey/Finn/Poe being pitched as our "trio", they get like no time together in this film. I mean Rey's journey is decidedly personal and is the best stuff in the movie, but Finn and Poe needed to be working together way more. The two shared like 4 minutes together in The Force Awakens and their escape in the TIE fighter had me grinning with how well they played off one another. Finn "getting woke" with Rose and Poe's dumbass mutiny just did not work.

Like it's fucking crazy to me that Poe and Rey introduce themselves to one another at the end of TLJ.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Yeah, Finn got done dirty in TLJ. Hopefully they focus more on him and Rey in IX. I assume Poe is going to be the leader of the Resistance by that point so his arc is mostly complete I'd say. Finn is most definitely the glue that holds all of these relationships together. There could be some good drama between him and Rey when he learns that Rey actually tried to reach out to Kylo, even after considering how Kylo maimed Finn.

I love Boyega and I think Finn has some great potential. I really like the character.

OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017

They blew it in TLJ by tokenizing him - shit was so lame. They have a chance to fix it if the series ends with him & Rey but we'll see.

people who don't care much about the character either way probably think Finn is TLJ is fine enough

I can't imagine too many kids ran outta the theaters jumping around screaming "I'm Finn! pew pew"

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I could watch TFA multiple times.

TLJ lost me on the second viewing where I just wanted the shit to be over by the halfway point.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I just want either Finn or Rey to die in 9. Rey dying along with Kylo would be perfect.

I liked them both in the TFA, but I thought both characters were pointless in TLJ.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finn was supposed to be the black lead icon of a generation.

Then Kathleen stole that from us at the last minute. Thankfully, T'Challa did what Star Wars couldn't.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I hope episode 9 has a time skip and at the beginning Finn is a fully trained Jedi knight, and Rey trained him. We can go more In-depth in a cartoon between 8 and 9

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Boyega was rad in TFA, so maybe JJ is a little more comfortable making the colored dudd kick ass.
I'm with you. He was just an afterthought in TLJ with a terrible subplot and saddled with an annoying new character. They shoehorned them into a romantic relationship, it never felt natural or real to me, just felt forced. I was totally taken by surprise by it at the end of the movie, it didn't feel earned at all.

Man, the more I think about TLJ the more strongly I dislike it.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Its like Disney and JJ handed over the sequel(like JJ lazily does with everything he "starts") to an entirely different team, and it didnt connect or finish any stories from the previous movie.

Its almost like TLJ was an awful movie that had no real story besides Luke's meh return

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
What's with shitty Star Wars fans cherry-picking quotes from the cast to attempt to show they disliked the film? They started this with Hamil, then they tried it with Daisy, and now Boyega? Dude's said tons of nice things about the film, and specifically called out the haters.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Finn was fine in TLJ, which is the best Star Wars film without any question. He served his purpose in the major theme of the film, which was an ensemble parallel storyline as opposed to the more individual-driven Rey storyline. That's not bad writing or poor handling of a character, but actors will always think they should have more screen time, so this isn't all that surprising.

I do agree with him on the Phasma fight. It's over strangely quickly, and the way it's shot indicates it's supposed to be bigger or more significant than it comes off as being. The deleted scenes of course show that it was originally much longer and more involved, with an actual character moment for Phasma. It's unfortunate that Lucasfilm wasn't confident enough to let the film be as long as it needed to be to get all the character beats in, but it's not like Phasma was treated any better in TFA.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

TLJ lost me on the second viewing where I just wanted the shit to be over by the halfway point.

Same here. It was not a compelling film for me at all. The plot moved at a snail's pace, there were way too many characters, and outside of Rey/Luke/Kylo Ren the relationships between them feel superficial.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I can't imagine too many kids ran outta the theaters jumping around screaming "I'm Finn! pew pew"

Here's how my kid plays with Finn.
K31QfoNl.jpg

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
He seemed to be way less excited over TLJ than TFA. Say what you will about the movie but Rian Johnson wasted him.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He said he wanted the robots in Pacific Rim to go faster and apparently they listened to him on that. Farther away he is from creative input the better after that IMO.
Ya I can't understand that choice. That's what made the fights awesome in the first one. Now it looks like transformers or power rangers

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm not sure what more they could have done with Finn. His arc in Episode VIII was always going to be second banana once Rey found the island.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely are giving Finn the shaft for some reason but meh what can you do. I enjoyed TLJ. He was kind of set up to be not much after the first.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Finn and Rose shipping is one of the most insanely forced things I've seen in movies in a while. There was ZERO chemistry for that to happen, and even the actors didn't seem like they were into it. Really wished they put Poe in with Finn instead of Rose. The stupid "save what you love instead of sacrificing yourself" comment would've at least fit the character better, and banter would've been fun
and the kiss would've actually made sense
. I really like the main meat of the TLJ, but everytime I think of the garbage decisions with the B and C plots, the movie teeters towards the edge of being mediocre :/

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like they don't know what to do with Finn or Poe. Like, JJ established the characters and plot threads in TFA, but he had literally no plan for what would happen to them after that movie. It's basically like him saying to Rian Johnson, "Here, I created them, now you do something with them."

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly how I felt about it. They did Finn dirty with that awful subplot. TFA grandiosely introduced us to three new exciting leads and TLJ threw two of them in the background of an overstuffed movie.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually curious to see what they do with his character.

From my perspective it looks like Rey is in love with Kylo Ren, Finn is in love with Rey and Rose is in love with Finn. That's a big love triangle.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did waste him in TLJ and Rose suddenly "loving" him at the end was like "whut"
Not really, she obviously has a crush on the idea of Finn from the beginning with the whole hero thing, she loves the idea of being a hero, her sister was one, Finn is one too her, she loves that shit. Then they're together on an adventure, almost die like twice, Finn showcases that he actually is a hero for the Rebels and shit, she likes him, he doesn't, shit makes sense

Oct 26, 2017
The most wasted character in the new trilogy. JJ needs to give my man more shit to do in Ep. 9.

Rose is a downgrade from Rey tho. They had no chemistry on-screen.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm not sure what more they could have done with Finn. His arc in Episode VIII was always going to be second banana once Rey found the island.
That's like saying "What do you do with Han Solo once he's joined the Rebellion? Him and Leia have nothing to do..."

Everything outside of the Luke/Rey/Ben story felt so woefully ill-conceived and undercooked. That central story was among some of my favorite Star Wars stuff in any of these movies, but the rest? Shit reads like a fucking Lindelof script at times- devoid of momentum, cohesion, logic or sense of time.

OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017
Just one of the many reasons the MCU is this generations Star Wars.

a well deserved title. The MCU really is the event fantasy films of our generation

Finn was supposed to be the black lead icon of a generation.

Then Kathleen stole that from us at the last minute. Thankfully, T'Challa did what Star Wars couldn't.

They shut that shit down as soon as dude said he worked sanitation and his fight with Kylo lasted less than 2 minutes. I mean, we thought Finn was going to be everything, looking so mean in the resistance jacket with the blue lightsaber.... Lucasfilm was like "gotcha!"

I honestly can't wait until Wakanda goes to space

I hope episode 9 has a time skip and at the beginning Finn is a fully trained Jedi knight, and Rey trained him. We can go more In-depth in a cartoon between 8 and 9

that would be jarring and unsatisfying. Why not just show Rey training Finn?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Rose was a terrible character and she should go back to her home planet. No chemistry between her and Finn too.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Finn was a complete Token. It was ridiculous.