• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bad title, I have no idea how to 1 sentence summarize this. This is something I have always wondered and need a human response, not a googled one.

Am I the only one that just like, can't be happy at work? I feel like I'm broken in brain chemestry wise, like I cannot release a single nice feeling chemical at work. Every job I've had, I just want to get home. Some have been nice jobs, some have been crappy. Great days, bad days, party days, free days, any of them, I just wanna leave.

I see coworkers smiling and having fun, I've heard stories from coworkers that they come to work to keep busy and get out of the house, and they genuinely (not masked) seem at least satisfied to spend time there. They enjoy being busy, they like their jobs, ect.

I feel like I've never felt this way. I hate getting up, I hate scheduling around work, I hate not having control of my time, and I hate being there. It feels like a massive waste of my time and I always just want to go home asap, I don't care if we are getting a "free day", just talking with eachother, having cake, laughing, ect. I wanna go home, I have stuff to do and I wanna hang out with my friends.

The reason I bring this up is I need to start working again soon after taking a hiatus for myself, and I just can't decide what I wanna do. I cannot go back to watching the clock for 9+ hours a day wishing my life away when it seems everyone else is fine to be there.

edit: Sorry, this is my bad. I should have said yeah, dream jobs would be the exception, but that's not obtainable for most of society.

Last edited:

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Feels like a hamster in those wheels.
But it pays the bills

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I focus on the things I like about my job, rather than the things I dislike about my job, as much as I can to help make it through the week. Nothing I work on is life or death, and I try to do that to just insulate myself from putting too much pressure on myself.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's the job?

Source: I once had a job that was literally a form of torture, but I've also had jobs I enjoy a lot.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are some people (usually way older folk) that really hate their marriages and are glad to be at work just to get away from the house. Seems like an extremely depressing existence to me.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Step 1) find a task that's satisfying to complete
Step 2) find someone who will pay you to do that task
Step 3) and this is that hardest (not joking) Be Satisfied

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I 100% believe that the M-F, 8-5 system we currently working with is archaic and needs to be changed. Will it? Probably not, unless labor jointly rises up and makes that decision or the government instigates a new policy due to declining birthrates or something.

Anyway, my works is bearable mostly due to my job feeling rewarding (working with underprivileged kids). When I worked at Best Buy and Sears, though, man I just wanted to up and leave. Perhaps finding a job that feels rewarding on a personal level could help ease the burden of the work grind.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
different strokes for different folks. people like certain rhythms. not something to think so hard about

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
For me for the day to go fast I need to be mentally stimulated, to be "in the zone", which programming mostly does. If I dont have my adhd meds I kinda just stare through the monitor and daydream / wishing to be home.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
You aren't alone. I enjoy my career, but I'd prefer not working. That's why I'm trying for early retirement. When I'm retired, I'll totally have a part-time job — and I hope it'll be a no-stress one I enjoy and could walk away from if I ever wanted.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You need to find a job you love to do. Figure out how to get paid to do your hobbies op.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a photographer for my county. I do like my job. Zero stress. Get to take photos and videos all day. Lots of variety of subjects/projects.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Were all these jobs in the same field? Everybody has tedious moments throughout the day and bad days altogether but it sounds like you're in the wrong field.

rman320

Banned
May 11, 2021
United States
I like the work I do but it's still work at the end of the day. I find that being strict about hours worked and minizing work involvement outside of working hours helps me feel fulfilled.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
For me, it's less about being happy and more about making the most of the situation. Some of the tightest bonds I've made in life were from where I was working the lowest paying jobs and being around other people going through the same. So you might see somebody like me smiling and shooting the shit at work, but I'm not happy to be there. Overall, OP, I'm with you. The people who look at the office as an escape from home and place they're satisfied being at? Nah, fuck that. The moment I show up, I'm thinking about what I'm going to do when I get home.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Currently unemployed and quite like doing the role I had but you 100% work to live and not live to work.

Liked the skills I had, love coding, liked the people. It's what it is though a means to put food on the table and have a house, heating etc.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The entire concept of work goes against my entire being and if I didn't need money to love and enjoy the things I like I would instantly quit.

I have never understood the people who win the lottery or are super rich and still feel the need to work. To me you must just be a super boring fuck with no interests to not be able to be happy without working.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
There are some people (usually way older folk) that really hate their marriages and are glad to be at work just to get away from the house. Seems like an extremely depressing existence to me.

Kids too

I often hear young parents with multiple young kids at home talk about how work is their escape from all the chaos at home. They genuinely enjoy going to work to get away from it.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
The only time I feel satisfied at work is when I see real, tangible results from something I have created or contributed. But honestly? Even then, it's fleeting.

Oct 27, 2017
It's called enjoying your job and what you do. I was thankful I'm in a job that puts into practice what I studied, gives me interesting challenges/problems to work on, and pays me well for i

OP
OP
Cats

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
different strokes for different folks. people like certain rhythms. not something to think so hard about
It is though. I cannot believe there are other people out there living 60+ working age years of this. It's miserable. A decade of it sprinked with a bit of irl trauma and I got 100% burnt out and had to blow savings to take a sabbatical. I don't see other people needing this, they are just smiley and happy to be there. It's like playing Elden Ring but I'm dying in 1 shot to everything. I'm clearly doing something wrong, or my brain is.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
I think it's a sign you might be an introvert but also you have other things you value in life than being at work. I definitely feel this about work like 90% of the time, but some days I just feel in the zone or social and those days dont feel too bad.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
My work day is always busy, and I genuinely enjoy the work that I do.

Would I rather not be working? Of course but I've worked enough jobs that made me grind endlessly that finding an environment with what feels like a ridiculous amount of flexibility, good pay plus benefits and plenty of autonomy, leaves me satisfied with my career. Helps that I lead a few large teams I was able to essentially build from scratch.

Oct 27, 2017
I was a manager running multiple Enterprise Locations and hated it, constantly busy, constantly stressed, but paid well.

I dipped in Covid to work with my father in his family business since I wanted a change and it's been fantastic. Took a bit to get comfortable with the money and finding my groove, but my life is so much better in terms of managing my time and spending it with family. I don't think you need to be happy all the time for work, but sometimes a change might be a net positive

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm right with ya there OP.

What I do to get through the week is just focusing on my work like a task list. I gotta get everything done because if I don't, I'll be without a job. And I need money to do what I want to do after work. So I try to focus on it like that and just make the best of the situation.

What keeps me going is just trying to invest everything I can so one day I can have enough money to just get out of the rat race. I just hope I can accomplish it when I'm still on the younger side. Can't wait for the day to not have to worry about whether what I want to do makes money or not.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
There are periods of time I've been through where I've felt that way when the home life wasn't so good.

In general my post-college career has mostly been a positive experience whereas my personal life has its ups and downs.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I don't mind coming into work, but I also started a job less than a year ago that was my literal dream job, and it's so far exceeded expectations, so I do enjoy coming into work and being around my co-workers. But I've also never understood that boomer mentality of "I need to go to the office and stay late so I'm not around my family."

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
People will be like "I don't know if I can handle being retired. What would I do with all the time?" and I'm just like "Not work, that's good enough on it's own!"

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
There was a brief period, maybe a year or so, where I can legitimately say I found my work very satisfying. I'd log in during the evenings not because I had to, but because I was excited to solve a particular problem. It didn't last long thanks to a variety of factors (mainly bad management) and when it ended I became very depressed. I spent a couple of years trying to get that feeling back and got frustrated that I couldn't. Now I've settled into just not really caring, watching the clock and going through the motions.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i'm an engineer and like engineering so i like the work (mostly electrical engineering and embedded systems/software development) and my colleagues are cool - i also often am on-site at some locations when we roll out our proprietary hardware and software or working with modern or legacy programmable logic controllers (PLCs), distributed control systems (DCS) or SCADA, etc

contributing to major infrastructure especially things concerning safety systems feels rewarding, engineering is fun and that's why i like going to work, solving modern problems, learning from colleagues and talking shit with them, networking with people from other companies in similar fields, etc - you learn a lot

i live in germany and get 30 days paid vacation which is standard and by law, but in reality i get around 40 something days, take vacation whenever i feel i need a break - i usually just take whole of summer off, and good labour protection laws and so on, so i don't have external factors like no vacation that affects my desire to work, my desire to work is innately that i enjoy the work i do

even if i was very rich and didn't work I would still want to do engineering, i like thinking, designing, and making things

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Some jobs can definitely make you feel good, at least momentarily.

As a lawyer going to trial and having a kick ass cross or getting a verdict or settlement is a huge high. There is a lot of stress and drudgery before you get to that point but it is pretty satisfying when you get there.

I would imagine teachers can feel like shit a lot of the times but succeeding at teaching children or young adults something must be really satisfying.

I also think creative people must feel awesome when they create something cool or great.

I think it depends a lot on the job and the person.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
When I'm in a groove, it's legitimately enjoyable and scratches the same itch as playing a video game or something. I also like the structure as I am very routine-oriented even outside of work.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I understand but I also have managed to deal with it.

99/100 I'd rather go home and do things with my existing friends, but sometimes you can make real friends through working together... So a "We're all going to the bar after work" isn't something I ever do, but with my friends that are also my co-workers, I'll figure out hanging out with them.

As for being at work vs being at home, I would rather not do work at home, but I would also rather be home, so I go to Work to Work and contain that as "This is work" and it's what I'm doing, then when I go home it's "This is Home" and I have 0 interaction with work.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
work pays me so i can enjoy doing the things i do like

"dO wHaT yOu LiKe, FiNd yOuR pAsSioN" is horseshit. no is gonna pay me to play video games and sit on the beach

get money, then enjoy your life

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely lucky to enjoy the thing I'm good at, and still get paid.

We grow up hearing that you can find a career in what interests you, and it doesn't work out that way for most people.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Work is never the place I'd choose to be over other things but because I'm not retired yet I need to make money. My job is low-stress, I'm well paid for what I do, my coworker/boss is one of my best friends, and the work we do helps people reduce their utility bills and place less demand on the electrical grid, helping the environment. I love my job.