• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Switch is a success, still today. And the "WiiU" games strategy is great because DKTF or MK8 have a second life, an even better.

But wtf about online. Why not Virtual Console? Why an online so complicated? I don't understand because switch is a big success but online service on switch will be more bad than the original Wii had...
Am i the only one?

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You must be new.

Just kidding. Nintendo has always sucked at online, though. That's not excusing them, but there's nothing there to understand. You aren't going to decode its strategy for online because it's nonsense as usual.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
not sure it warrants a new thread:

but they stink at anything regarding online or online infrastructure and features

And they're good at software.

that pretty much answers your question

Jayson's Rage

Oct 24, 2017
This is standard Nintendo. I have no clue how you could be confused at this point.

Also...love the analysis of a service that hasn't launched yet. Are you from the future?

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Virtual Console is a useless branding that his little to no marketing cache.

It's too early to question what Nintendo plans to do with their back catalog of 8, 16, 64 bit, Gamecube and yes even Wii library on Switch. Would I like to be able to just pay $10 to play Waverace on my Switch right now? Of course. Did Nintendo give me an option to do this in the first year of Switch being around? Nope. Will they do this in the future? Maybe, but it won't be within the brand of Virtual Console and this is all we know at this time.

I don't really see what's complicated about the online service coming in September, other than the voice chat functionality which most people on Playstation don't even use in the first place.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm kinda satisfies with them. I mean the no online lovvy kinda sucks but, I don't talk online anyways. I typically text-chat.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I've stuck with Nintendo for many years but my interest is quickly slipping. I just can't deal with their BS anymore. The lack of VC really burned me.

joeyjoejoe99

Oct 30, 2017
My current theory is that they will rollout a 'Game Pass' concept aka netflix for classic games. NES first where you can subscribe monthly ($4.99 ?) to gain access to a library of NES games available at any given point. After year 1 they will roll out with SNES and then gamecube, etc...

The die hard internet will complain that you don't own the games, but the casual switch users will adopt and love the convenience of it (and not really care).

We'll see what actually happens, maybe an announcement at E3!

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Virtual Console is just a branding name

They will find a way to sell you retro games

Also Nintendo sucks at online, but for the most part it seems pretty straightforward this time aside from their weird voice shit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hear ya, but there's nothing to be surprised about here. I stopped trying to figure out why Nintendo makes the decisions they make ever since I owned a Wii U.

It's just better to accept/assume that Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to online infrastructure. Keep your expectations at rock bottom for everything except their software. That way if they do something right, it's a pleasant surprise.

Mr Pricklefingers

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 4, 2017
Not trying to thread whine, but this is a low effort reaction thread to news that came out like 3 weeks ago.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Virtual Console is a useless branding that his little to no marketing cache.

It's too early to question what Nintendo plans to do with their back catalog of 8, 16, 64 bit, Gamecube and yes even Wii library on Switch. Would I like to be able to just pay $10 to play Waverace on my Switch right now? Of course. Did Nintendo give me an option to do this in the first year of Switch being around? Nope. Will they do this in the future? Maybe, but it won't be within the brand of Virtual Console and this is all we know at this time.

I don't really see what's complicated about the online service coming in September, other than the voice chat functionality which most people on Playstation don't even use in the first place.
This. Just because they say they're not having a "virtual console" just means they're going about it differently with Switch. Instead of making false judgements, just wait until they announce exactly what they're going to do, then sound off on it.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah I'm on the same thinking, to the point I haven't bought Splatoon 2 because I'm still not sure I want to pay for online once the fee comes on september. I'm still not sure if it'll be worth it. Good thing E3 is around the corner so hopefully they can clear that info properly because right now I'm still not convinced. I'm enjoying Splatoon and MK8 online on Wii U on the meantime hah.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
Nintendo wants to have an online service that doesn't endanger kids under any circumstances period, while also not wanting to waste all their property in their backlog just in case of emergency. The only reason they have online is because people won't stop badgering for them to do so, pretty much they are being stubborn as hell and it's costing them a bit

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
This is standard Nintendo. I have no clue how you could be confused at this point.

Also...love the analysis of a service that hasn't launched yet. Are you from the future?

You don't have to be Marty McFly to see using a smartphone app for communication instead of something built into the system itself isn't a wise move.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lol worse than the Wii ? Joke?

What's not to get. Instead the Netflix model for VC is going to work out in the end that comes along with the switch online paywall

$20 a year for all the VC games is a steal. Compared to buying SMB for $10 again.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
"Suck at online" has always been such a confusing argument to me. They clearly are going for different things when it comes to online features, like the horrible phone app, but I don't think it's a case of them being unable to implement a different solution, they just don't want to.

And Virtual Console is dead because apparently it wasn't a big money maker, and classic consoles are. Which I personally hate, I want all my games on one device, not 6 different things I need to connect to TVs. But that's the reasoning from the business side I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.