• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
What I meant was you don't just use just you bare hand you use it alongside lots of water and you won't have that problem.

Which means you're still using your bare hand to interact with crap which is going to introduce an additional level of cleaning your hand compared to not physically touching it by using toilet paper, especially with kids. Again, pink eye being common among kids exists for a reason.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I was at that exact same shop yesterday. It looks like they managed to find some household paper to try to pass off as toilet paper since then. Those shelves were completely empty yesterday!

On another note, my local grocery store is running out of all manner of things, and I couldn't help but notice that the candy supply is looking like it's getting depleted, which made me a bit confused.
Just was at Solna Centrum ICA. All beans and pasta stuff were sold out. :D

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which means you're still using your bare hand to interact with crap which is going to introduce an additional level of cleaning your hand compared to not physically touching it by using toilet paper, especially with kids. Again, pink eye being common among kids exists for a reason.

If it requires additional cleaning then it requires it you teach your kids that. Of course younger kids are not going to always guaranteed to clean up properly, that's why you need to supervise and be responsible, supervision would be needed even if they used tp, the only difference is they would need to be a bit thorough.

This is a non issue for alot of cultures who do it, and has been for centuries.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
I have ulcerative colitis and have... similar issues. I promise you, 100%, this will make your life better:

1. Get a plastic bottle.
2. Fill it with water and keep it next to your loo.
3. After you poop, wash your bum with your hand and your bottle of water.
4. Use a small amount of loo roll to dry.
5. Thank me later.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G9XW...olid=1AISUC634OZS6&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

been meaning to pick this up for hiking/camping, but it sounds like it might help you out too.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
If it requires additional cleaning then it requires it you teach your kids that. Of course younger kids are not going to always guaranteed to clean up properly, that's why you need to supervise and be responsible, supervision would be needed even if they used tp, the only difference is they would need to be a bit thorough.

This is a non issue for alot of cultures who do it, and has been for centuries.

Teaching isn't the issue, it's the executing part that is and you're introducing an extra layer of risk by going this route. Just because you teach over and over again doesn't mean they're going to be reliable and consistently good at it. Again pink eye being common among kids is a thing and this is just one of the risks that potentially comes with it. This notion that it's a non issue when it comes to kids is just fantasy.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I feel you OP we went to the store today to get some paper towels and toilet paper and we barely were able to get paper towels. We had to settle for a buttload of wet wipes.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Teaching isn't the issue, it's the executing part that is and you're introducing an extra layer of risk by going this route. Just because you teach over and over again doesn't mean they're going to be reliable and consistently good at it. Again pink eye being common among kids is a thing and this is just one of the risks that potentially comes with it. This notion that it's a non issue when it comes to kids is just fantasy.
If you think this is pure fantasy then you are ignorant as fuck. How about you educate yourself on how other cultures work?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, i have no idea.
It's not really a thing over here from what i've seen (Italy, of all places).

That stuff already comes in bulks that are supposed to last for *several* days anyway, how many packages do you need ? You'll run out of food way before running low on TP.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Good shopping list. I would suggest mayo as well for the tuna or other canned meats. High in fat and long shelf life. Can be even kept unrefrigerated for a long time, assuming it's pasteurized mayo like Hellman's.

Good call will be adding it to the list, going again tomorrow hopefully for the last time for a while...

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I normally buy a shit load of toilet paper on Amazon because I have a baby and it's easier to stock up on tp and diapers etc.

OP I happened to get 96 rolls of shitty Amazon TP 2 weeks ago on my Amazon schedule. I mail you 6 rolls if you can't get tp anywhere

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
It's easy. Might need to pick up just a supply or two at home depot (water line for example)
Super easy, you just remove old lid, and click it into a plastic bit you screw in, then attach hose.
There's a video on amazon on the product page that goes over it as well.

Great to hear--thanks guys!

Even if this crazy situation blows over relatively soon, it still sounds like a great way to cut down on one cost.

Jul 18, 2018
Great to hear--thanks guys!

Even if this crazy situation blows over relatively soon, it still sounds like a great way to cut down on one cost.
Yea when i meant line, it's the hose that connects toilet pipe to water supply line. Usually older places have ones that are steel bent, whereas ones at store are flexible (link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewer...raided-Stainless-Steel-7223-20-38-5/203082359)

Also, check to see if you have one line or two (cold/hot). Then purchase the bidet that either fits your 1 line or 2. Only disadvantage is that the 1 line is cold water, so sometimes it sucks because the water will be so damn cold against your ass.

But untwisting, and twisting new ones etc, whole thing should take 15-30mins tops. Depending how hard it will be to untwist if first time messing with it

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
deb.png

If you want to find some toilet paper there is a bunch hidden by the apple tree in the clearing behind town.
lol, this gif gonna get a lot of mileage

The run on toilet paper starts making a bit more sense if I factor that people use 1 roll per person per week. This seems way too high.
Ever had a period?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
While there are alternatives to toilet paper don't flush them down. Tissues and kitchen rolls are good for wiping but don't dissolve like toilet paper does. And will lead to blockage. So just put them in a bin next to you.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
i haven't been to a grocery store or walmart in almost a week.. kinda scared to see what's not available. i don't want to horde, just want to get the essentials to last a week, but might grab some extra items if possible.. should be interesting. I'll report back later. I imagine it will be very similar to what everyone else is already experiencing.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I took a walk to ICA Maxi Solna this morning just to look at what was out. Pasta was all but gone. But larger store so more stock. Did not look at the beans. Though flour was almost out. And cabbage, cauliflower and other vegetables that last long. They had extra containers of potatoes.
Did not look at toilet papers actually. Maybe take a look tomorrow since they don´t get new deliveries until monday.

seki

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not quite sure what it is about toilet paper to be honest. But me specifically, I'm actually not surprised as it's been a conceit that I've been aware of for almost a decade. I'm not sure how much of the general populace is aware of Supernatural the TV show, but I've pretty much watched it from Season 1 through Season 12. One of the things that sticks out to me is an episode where one of the characters travels into the future where something like the apocalypse has taken place and demons and humans are fighting for control of the world.

In the future, one of the characters tells the time traveler to hoard toilet paper when he goes back to the past like it's gold:

It turns out, the guy telling him to hoard the toilet paper? He's God. Literally.

Anyway, the scene always struck me as something clever along the lines of "Oh, yeah, I've considered that I'd need food, water and medicine in an apocalypse, but toilet paper's pretty important now that I think about it."

This was the first place that I encountered the idea of TP in an apocalypse. Is it possible the idea originated here?

Last edited:

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
If you think this is pure fantasy then you are ignorant as fuck. How about you educate yourself on how other cultures work?

It's not being ignorant; it's knowing how this culture works and it just would not work. Plus just because other cultures do it, doesn't make it better or even a fit for a different culture. For example, do you have stats on the number of cases of pink eye among kids in those cultures and how it compares? If you're telling me that going from a protective sheet of paper to direct hands on contact will not result in more cases of contamination than already exist with the current culture, then I think you're talking about a fantasy. Next you'll tell me there's no need for protective gloves as long as you wash your hands properly and that the use of protective gloves doesn't make a difference.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not being ignorant; it's knowing how this culture works and it just would not work. Plus just because other cultures do it, doesn't make it better or even a fit for a different culture. For example, do you have stats on the number of cases of pink eye among kids in those cultures and how it compares? If you're telling me that going from a protective sheet of paper to direct hands on contact will not result in more cases of contamination than already exist with the current culture, then I think you're talking about a fantasy. Next you'll tell me there's no need for protective gloves as long as you wash your hands properly and that the use of protective gloves doesn't make a difference.
You are one hell of an idiot. Do you understand that there are people already who do this and they have adapted by being more thorough when cleaning there hands? It is not pure fantasy what the fuck are you on about?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Ya I don't get it. I read a post earlier of someone saying they use 1 roll a week lol. Like I guess you would if you live alone and shit at work but if you are quarantined or you now have to work from home you need tp and 1 roll a week ain't gonna cut it.
Wait are you saying you go through more than 1 roll a week?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Why toilet paper? That at least kinda makes sense, you don't want to run out of it and it's not getting bad, my question after going to the store yesterday was:

W2zgCO3.jpg

Why f'n bread? That starts to mold after 1+ week, lol.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Why toilet paper? That at least kinda makes sense, you don't want to run out of it and it's not getting bad, my question after going to the store yesterday was:

W2zgCO3.jpg

I don't stock up bread, but people who do can freeze it. Also pre-baked bread can hold up to 1 month.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I took a walk to ICA Maxi Solna this morning just to look at what was out. Pasta was all but gone. But larger store so more stock. Did not look at the beans. Though flour was almost out. And cabbage, cauliflower and other vegetables that last long. They had extra containers of potatoes.
I live in the countryside but commute to Lund at the the moment. Obviously the stores out here here are smaller, but I haven't seen any signs of stocks being depleted, nor people hoarding. Everyone's very chill about it, which makes me feel right at home. Anecdotally, it seems as though hoarding and stock depletion is postitively correlated to proximity to a larger urban area, from what I've experienced and discussed with my friends.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017

W2zgCO3.jpg

Maybe it's the folks that didn't get enough toilet paper? When shit gets dire, they'll get to wiping with loaves. 😂

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all need to start investing in these bad boys. Minimal TP usage, can get away with none if in a bind.

41jotyvYYFL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You can freeze it, my man.

To be honest, I never actually froze bread. 🤔
But I don't know if the same kind of people who hoard toilet paper right now are actually smart enough to do that.
Most people probably have a small freezer inside the fridge and not a big freezer box and I would use that space for other food stuff. 😅

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I'm the same boat, as my area is in a high-risk zone with forced closures. ANY item we risk running out of, that means we have to go out to the store, increasing our risk of exposure to the virus. The longer we can hunker down at home and practice social distancing the better, as long as others do the same.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

W2zgCO3.jpg

Fresh meat is sold out around here. No chicken, beef, or pork. All cleaned out.

People are afraid the grocery stores will be closed and are trying to get out in front of it.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
we have plenty of toilet paper. the shelves are wiped out (except kitchen roll ). there was some pasta but most of it is gone.

if it comes to it then i'll just need to go in the shower and hose myself down lol.