• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
The main actress lives by convincing the chef to make a burger. It works. Therefore his master plan is brought to life and he is such a genius and the burger was poisoned what a master plan!

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
He is a villain but the main actress was really smart to learn about him and what he admired. So that's how she lived.

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
Nah he knows all and had the aged meat at the ready. Noooo. If this really was a final twist. One of the food critics would realize it after. I'm so sick of nooo thus is the real ending of stories. leads to people just accepting youtube and not seeing why he would never poison her.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
He empathized with her and realized she was more like him than the other people he had invited to kill. I do think it was a little too clean how she got away but I understood what it was going for.

I really feel bad for that actor dude who got killed just cause he didn't like the movie he was in lol

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
I'm saying lots of youtube ending explaining leads to he was so smart he really poisoned her despite it being no if you actually watched it and didn't just watch people that suggest something because they are so smart.... Almost like what the Menu is about.

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
The title emphasized the hot takes I dislike why does no one look at the title and assume I'm spitting a hot take Christ.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
This is a theory posited by some, a mention earlier in the film about meat after a certain time being bacteria infected. Then you have to think, well, he said everyone would die…so he must've used that meat (or something more left field).

The film leaves it open enough for you to think that I suppose. I think that kind of undermines where the films story and characters went and of what the Chef was doing, never mind his constant you're not supposed to be here.

So naa, I reject the poison idea, i don't care for it.

I will say it's a reach of a read of the film, hardly supported on any meaningful level by the film, that I could even understand being angry at the film for ending that way when really…it didn't. That being said it's a fun theory on the film so I'll give you that.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
op is sick of hot takes and the "ending explained" youtube content mill that simplify/obscure the themes of a film, usually just missing the point

Is the ending supposed to be deeper than her finding a way to relate to him/his nostalgia of simpler times and thus he spares her life? Or is it implied somewhere he poisoned her? I guess that's what I'm finding difficult to understand.

Sorry, OP. Not trying to dunk, I just couldn't figure out which hot take you didn't like.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
What no one understands is that this thread was just a dream all along. There are subtle signs that look a lot like continuity errors, but are actually hints which concretely prove this.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
OP is saying they're tired of people online adding twists or random nonsense theories on to a fairly easy to understand ending.

Ok, I get it. Thanks, all.

I agree, OP. I mean, sometimes movies that leave the ending open for interpretation are freaking awesome and create lots of great conversation but I felt like this one was pretty cut and dry. It's definitely a stretch to go further.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Man, thinking that she had been poisoned would really suck, I hope nobody is listening to the clowns making those claims.
Would make a much weaker story for sure

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that kinda stuff is annoying as hell. How could people even read into it differently than what's presented? Every time something goes mainstream people start overanalyzing it.

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
Is the ending supposed to be deeper than her finding a way to relate to him/his nostalgia of simpler times and thus he spares her life? Or is it implied somewhere he poisoned her? I guess that's what I'm finding difficult to understand.

Sorry, OP. Not trying to dunk, I just couldn't figure out which hot take you didn't like.

[/QUONo it's real simple but that does not get clicks. People that need those just point towards the poison beef line. That ignores a lot but a cook that found his passion again wouldn't send her off with poison beef. He respected she cared enough to fight back. No games just she lives.TE]

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
aged beef gets moldy, chefs cut the mold away before cooking

also most chefs recommend cooking aged beef as burgers no more than medium rare

the burger was fine, it was just a good burger

like the film Good Burger

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I get it. Thanks, all.

I agree, OP. I mean, sometimes movies that leave the ending open for interpretation are freaking awesome and create lots of great conversation but I felt like this one was pretty cut and dry. It's definitely a stretch to go further.
I feel this way about Inception and how no one would shut up about whether the ending was a dream or not. Even Nolan said it doesn't really matter.

"The way the end of that film worked, Leonardo DiCaprio's character, Cobb – he was off with his kids, he was in his own subjective reality," said Nolan. "He didn't really care any more, and that makes a statement: perhaps, all levels of reality are valid."

Don't overthink it.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Topic may be worded awkwardly, but OP has the spirit

plus I don't groove with the idea that any of the dishes were poisoned. By his own wacky logic I doubt he would actually make a inedible dish.

I feel this way about Inception and how no one would shut up about whether the ending was a dream or not.

this is actually another good example of people overthinking endings, and the film makes a argument for itself to not overthink it. Cobb doesn't give a shit about what the top does, after all.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the whole "industry" around dissecting film is really terrible these days and it sadly doesn't look like it'll get better any time soon. Dan Olson had a good video about this and Annihilation.

"This is a consistent feature in modern film criticism which, taken on the whole, is in a distinct phase where the loudest voices in film discussion are incurious, proudly ignorant, and approach plot as a problem to be unpacked and solved."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URo66iLNEZw

www.youtube.com

Annihilation and Decoding Metaphor

Clickbait Title: The Ending of Annihilation Actually Explained For RealThere was a lot of anxiety in the final stretch of this one, I got really worried that...

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
The idea doesn't draw on the fact they share something. When he cooks the burger he is delighted. It's something mundane but happy despite the grand presentation. Add in the fact she should not be there. Planning anything was off the table.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Ohh this thread is annoyed by the takes, not the faux ending.

Eh. While I certainly don't think that's what's happening in the film, I certainly don't mind the theories. It's just a cheese burger.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
It's the same concept as people who have headcanon, I suppose. They want it to be something so bad, they're willing to stubbornly twist their thoughts until it's true for them.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Those youtubers probably don't even believe that shit. Posting bad/wrong takes gets more engagement.

Edit:

Last edited:

Guggzs

Apr 6, 2022
Some of the first posts in this thread are like if you asked a really bad AI to write an alternative ending, even down to the wording.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I honestly don't understand how people can sit there and watch videos trying to explain a movie they've already watched. Like what is the point aside from trying to adopt someone else's understanding of it.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
😄

Hey I got pinged twice from it, proving my point that posting dumb bullshit will get more engagement. (I wish it was intentional)

one-ping-only.gif

You're so right though.

Oct 27, 2017
I worked in Foodservice for over 20 years, but I've been a horror fan for over 40 years at this point. I adored the movie, and thought the cheeseburger bit was honestly really beautiful.
His joy for cooking had been robbed from him by the industry and the bullshit of high level fine dining. For as mad as he and his staff were, the simple loving act of making a cheeseburger for someone really touched me.

I don't think chef would have adulterated the meat for the burger in any way. Yeeeeah, the team did purposefully break those emulsions earlier to taunt the critic, but I feel that's a different case. I feel like the cheeseburger had chef's whole heart and soul put into it to create the very best, most heartfelt and honest cheeseburger he possibly could.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I honestly don't understand how people can sit there and watch videos trying to explain a movie they've already watched. Like what is the point aside from trying to adopt someone else's understanding of it.

This is an odd thought…you can't understand why someone would be interested in someone else's interpretation of a film? Like…really?

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
The title emphasized the hot takes I dislike why does no one look at the title and assume I'm spitting a hot take Christ.

I don't want to cast aspersions but are you a few deep, my dude? The reason people can't follow what you are saying is that it is muddled as fuck.

There is nothing more to the film than what is shown, it is pretty on the nose, so if you are saying people looking into it too much are engaging in the kind of pretension the movie is parodying then ... yeah. Sure.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
"It's just a theory...A GAME THEORY"

I get what the OP means though the people who make dumb theories like that are basically Tylers