Graven

Oct 30, 2018
The game was release 20 years ago, and to this day it's still one the of the best RTSs ever made imo. Base building RTSs demands a lot of skill by nature, but, i think DoW has cool twists to gameplay that makes micro and macro management more manageable for a wider range of players, and overall just a blast to play:

-Resource income is increased by capturing strategic points and defending them, so they are actually more tied to your combat units rather than having to build multiple bases and managing them across the map.
-Outside of special units or mechs, units are mostly squad based and you can replenish them on the spot.
-Units usually move and shoot at the same time, and switch to melee when in close range, it all happens automatically depending on your positioning.

Overall i think the game holds up so well, that all it actually needs is a graphical upgrade and some quality of life improvements, maybe a more in depth customization element so players can have more room to create their own chapters, regiments, Ork clans etc. 40k seems to be in all time high in terms of popularity, and it's seems to be an appropriate time to bring this game back.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I just hope Relic survives.

They have had it rough lately.

Was it one or two big rounds of layoffs?

Are they even the studio working on Age4 or was it another studio job that's been doing the dlc and such?

Oct 29, 2017
USA
As long as they include Dark Crusade, I'm in. I played the hell out of that campaign mode back when it came out. It's where most of my knowledge of 40K comes from and I'd love to revisit an updated version of it.

OP
OP
Graven

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
As long as they include Dark Crusade, I'm in. I played the hell out of that campaign mode back when it came out. It's where most of my knowledge of 40K comes from and I'd love to revisit an updated version of it.
This is exactly me, Dark Crusade was my introduction to the universe. I saw the high scores, and picked up by chance, ended up doing three campaign runs with different factions and started a fourth one. To this day I still have the urge to play it again.

Dark Crusade is excelent, Soulstorm was a big disappointment in retrospect.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Slightly off topic, but you know what deserves a remake?

Total Annihilation.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a good time for RTS? Homeworld 3 just bombed, Company of Heroes 3 bombed, Realms of Ruin bombed and Aoe4 had a pretty middling response it seems.

All eyes on ZeroSpace, Tempest Rising and Stormgate and I'm hopeful but yeah don't see it getting the budgets old RTS used to.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
i think DoW has cool twists to gameplay that makes micro and macro management more manageable for a wider range of players, and overall just a blast to play
I still reinstall it every year or so and play a bunch of AI matches, it really was of a time and a lovely game.
Also one of my all-time favorites and I have a small project that reverse engineers the data formats for dorking around with. But you also have the guys doing PA and what not which are pretty direct spiritual sequels from folks who worked on it.
Is it a good time for RTS?
Not really, it's the nostalgia of those of us in our mid to late 40s.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Agreed. A Dawn Of War Remake would be fucking amazing.

Up there with Age Of Mythology, Age Of Empires 2 & Warcraft 3 as we of the greatest RTS games of all time.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Is it a good time for RTS? Homeworld 3 just bombed, Company of Heroes 3 bombed, Realms of Ruin bombed and Aoe4 had a pretty middling response it seems.

All eyes on ZeroSpace, Tempest Rising and Stormgate and I'm hopeful but yeah don't see it getting the budgets old RTS used to.
This is only slightly true. Its reception at launch wasnt awful, nor great, but the updates have been consistently well received and in AOE fandom is now common opinion that it's at worst the second best game in the series.

It's first two civ's dlc being released for free helped a bunch.

And its first expansion is the best selling in the entire series history

View: https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/1762214764917194938

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is only slightly true. Its reception at launch wasnt awful, nor great, but the updates have been consistently well received and in AOE fandom is now common opinion that it's at worst the second best game in the series.

It's first two civ's dlc being released for free helped a bunch.

And its first expansion is the best selling in the entire series history

View: https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/1762214764917194938

Not bad but will it be enough for a new DoW, I reckon one of those upcoming has to do really well for that.

OP
OP
Graven

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Not bad but will it be enough for a new DoW, I reckon one of those upcoming has to do really well for that.
Well, what I suggested is more of graphical update than a full on new game, the groundwork is already there, also as of now the 40k IP is surging in popularity. I understand RTSs are in a delicate spot, but, I think that if they do it right, it has a very good chance to do well.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
A new Dawn of War would be great. 1 was awesome, but I personally loved 2 more, easily one of my favourite games ever. 3 was ehhhh.....

I'd love a 4 if it's like 1 or 2.

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
Ah, the first game I ever worked on at Relic. I'd like to see the original and DLC up to and including Dark Crusade remastered, but I don't know if the audience is still there for it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I played the original a while ago and and I forgot how simple of a game that actually was, not much variety in units and it was a pretty straight forward RTS. Still fantastic though.

But I agree we're do for a Warhammer 40K RTS again in the style of Dawn of War.

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
This is exactly me, Dark Crusade was my introduction to the universe. I saw the high scores, and picked up by chance, ended up doing three campaign runs with different factions and started a fourth one. To this day I still have the urge to play it again.

Dark Crusade is excelent, Soulstorm was a big disappointment in retrospect.
Dark Crusade is by far the best RTS I have ever played.

The campaign is so much fun, Soulstorm was absolutely terrible by comparison. If they would remake it, I would prefer they do away with flying units but include at the very least all factions that the first game ended up with.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just give me ability to play it in non 4:3 aspect ratio with full detail

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
That would be ace. A looking forward to aom as well. I loved this and I'm sure I'll buy it despite having it via gamepass.

And cnc generals would be great to have a remake/remaster as well

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019
I just hope Relic survives.

They have had it rough lately.

Was it one or two big rounds of layoffs?

Are they even the studio working on Age4 or was it another studio job that's been doing the dlc and such?
They've had a rough time for over a decade now since THQ went bankrupt. It's a miracle they're still around at all.