• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So it felt like back in the day, unless you were one of the big named actors who were in everything (Nolan North, Troy Baker, etc, etc), you were basically unknown to most people. And obviously to an extent, those names are still the most well known.

But I feel like there has been a shift in recent years where a lot of English Voice Actors have started to be way more public with themselves. Like take for example the English cast of Honkai: Star Rail, a lot of the actors in the game are relatively lesser known actors with a few bigger names sprinkled in there. But because of how they interact with the community via Social Media and Streaming, these once lesser known actors are becoming way more visible and well, less unknown.

I've noticed a lot of these folks are people I don't recognize but they are killing it, their work is fantastic and it's great that they are now getting the recognition that they deserve.

Yes, there are some folks who abuse this, but I don't think some bad apples means a lot of good well behaved actors need to all go back into the shadows or something.

And it makes sense a lot of these actors got into streaming, after all, acting isn't a usual 9 to 5 job, you aren't always having a new gig lined up, so it makes sense to do something that can borrow a lot of the similar skills, while also getting your name bigger and potentially leading to more roles. And it's also letting these actors truly show how much they love the roles they are in rather than just being a job you do and then done with. Hell, half of my enjoyment of the English actors of Honkai: Star Rail is the chemistry they have also outside of the game with each other.

Like, I don't think it's controversial to say that half of the reason people have endeared to Luke from SF6 so much is because of his English VA, Aleks Le, doing so much work to make people like the character and now, it feels like Aleks Le is able to get a lot of bigger roles as his name is now becoming way more known.

I think also this will only lead to even more folks getting into acting themselves, which I think can only be a net positive as well. Not to mention, I would... maybe naively think that in a world where increasingly it seems like companies want AI to take over these creative roles, that it's showing the power of having a face behind the characters also being a person themselves.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've been noticing this as well. People are FINALLY starting to give the smaller, less "famous" VAs their due in a way that has been NEEDED for the better part of the last 15 years. Seeing folks like Ray Chase popping up on livestreams and being celebrated rather than it just being 'IT'S TROY BAKER AND THE CAST OF CRITICAL ROLE everyone else sit the fuck down' has been really inspiring for me as someone who cares a lot about acting as an art form.

It also means POC voice actors are finally starting to get exposure, since let's be real, for the LONGEST TIME, with a few notable exceptions basically all of the most famous VAs in the English voice acting industry have been white folks.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
It's also that these games are non-union and pay less, so the "big names" aren't in consideration.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Most of Destiny's actors are on Twitter and I think it's cool because they always do a great job. I also think it's time to tone down the "voice" specifier, like Roger Clark keeps saying on Twitter, games these days go far beyond voice overs for characters.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this is controversial to say. But I feel like fire emblem three houses really kicked this off with a unusual but welcome focus slightly on voice actors during the marketing, especially when it allowed the VAs to express how they were involved in their own way
Joe zieja really propelled his characters popularity cause he played into the memes

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
It's great to see how much better English VAs are received lately. It's especially great to see POC actors be well received. There have been a few instances of unfortunate reactions to recasts, so the support the newer, younger actors affected get is even more meaningful.

Their work should be recognized and spotlighted and it's even better that the focus isn't just on the big names we all know. It's also good that promo is helping set the tone for recognizing actors - confirming performers in a timely manner, interviews, spotlight videos, etc.

Let's hope that proper compensation will follow.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Ben Starr is the biggest example of this (for me), I don't think many people in gaming knew him before FF16 but he used that momentum to basically build a fanbase of his dorky ass. And I love it.

Genuinly wishing for more VAs to get that kinda role to showcase their talent and get the acknowledgment that they deserve.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
Its been wild seeing streamers and youtubers like Lilypichu and Marco Meatball show up in games like genshin. Same for podcasters like Chapo Traphouse being among the original voice actors for Disco Elysium. And you mentioned Aleks Le being Luke for SF6 who has been a treat to keep up with. I like the risk and diversity we've been seeing in regards to talent. The legends of voice acting are amazing, dont get me wrong, but its nice to see more and more chances being given to lesser known talents.

Jul 24, 2018
I like that voice acting is treated with more respect than they used to be because it's a respectable profession with skills unique to it. Like a stage actor might not necessarily be as competent in voice acting as a trained voice actor, see Mae Whitman's performance in Scott Pilgrimm Takes Off next to the other celebrity actors as an example of this.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Very happy you mentioned the HSR VAs. They promote themselves with other VAs and have become friends and they're amazing, talented and super friendly to their fans. I've started to really love how many of these new VAs are also fans of the games they voiced themselves.

Back then, so many VAs simply did the job but rarely knew anything about what they voiced. It's nice to see.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
The actors of Star Rail and Genshin getting to be the "hosts" of the live streams when their characters are introduced is a big platform
Especially if their character pops off on release

I've been noticing this as well. People are FINALLY starting to give the smaller, less "famous" VAs their due in a way that has been NEEDED for the better part of the last 15 years. Seeing folks like Ray Chase popping up on livestreams and being celebrated rather than it just being 'IT'S TROY BAKER AND THE CAST OF CRITICAL ROLE everyone else sit the fuck down' has been really inspiring for me as someone who cares a lot about acting as an art form.

It also means POC voice actors are finally starting to get exposure, since let's be real, for the LONGEST TIME, with a few notable exceptions basically all of the most famous VAs in the English voice acting industry have been white folks.

The power of "oratrice mecanique d'analyse cardinale"

Oct 26, 2017
One thing also is how the cast of BG3 is just constantly Out There shit posting about their characters. Devora Wilde's tiktok is, uh, wild

View: https://www.tiktok.com/@devorawilde/video/7286131067969375520

Definitely, their playthroughs are great fun to follow. I feel they've tapered off a bit except Neil and Theo (unless the algo is just not showing them anymore), but I guess these people are also deservedly busy these days. I doubt another four year job isn't turning up anytime soon, but Neil mentioned he has a pretty busy calendar.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed Ray isn't sick of it yet. I saw him do a patter song that was JUST those four words over and over again on a stream he guested on.

There's definitely a much different culture around things, from all parts of the spectrum - the fans, the actors, the studios, the platforms, all of it.

I ran into a Youtube Short of Kaiji Tang doing the "You cryin'?" meme at a recent con and it instantly reminded me of a much older video from an older con of Travis Willingham doing this one extended line/speech from FMA. And I remember the latter because Willingham looked visibly bored to tears doing it at the time and I came away from it thinking "Yeah it makes sense he's probably sick to death of fans asking him to do it all the time." With the Tang clip meanwhile it's not just that he's clearly still into the role and the line personally but there's also so much more happening - he's not just in a big room sitting a table with fans sitting on folding chairs in front of him, he's actually on a legit stage as part of a bigger JJK presentation, there's all this build-up from one of the other actors setting him up to deliver the line, then he does it and the whole crowd swoons in response. The whole thing is Tang getting something close to the lead star treatment....so why wouldn't he be pumped about that? And like the OP mentions it's not like he's a super-special case, the love is a lot more spread out these days.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The entire main cast of Baulders Gate 3 has become very popular on social media, and each of them have been very active with fans on TikTok.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed the streams the Resident Evil Village cast did after release, and got to know a lot of people in those games. Made seeing Neil Newbon in BG3 a bit more exciting, and happy for their success. Nicole Tompkins especially does many game playthroughs with the actors watching her and they are wholesome good vibe streams.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's great to see more developers (even SNK) announce English VAs early on in the marketing cycle as opposed to waiting until release, which makes Nintendo continuing to keep their actors a secret all the more disappointing. Though since they still stick with non-union English voice work for most of their projects, I suppose it's not too surprising.

Luke's VA from Street Fighter 6 is a good example of this. Guy is great at poking fun at the game and marketing it at the same time.
Yup, Aleks Le was a major factor in the general public becoming more receptive towards Luke. Though I'd argue that they shouldn't have back-ported him to SFV in the first place, but that's another topic.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have been watching interviews with voice actors nonstop lately on YouTube.