• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
To clarify, I'm a contractor at a company and have been for a little over 2 years. An FTE position finally opened up on my team. Had 2 interviews with my coworkers.

I feel like this is my last chance at this company if I don't get it. I'm so afraid of applying somewhere else. I can't stop thinking about if I got it or not. If I don't I'm going to be so angry.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Seen your other posts about it, pulling for you man. Either way, the anxiety of the wait will be over which is a good thing. Hoping for good news though!

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Op going from
20088.jpg

to
30286.jpg

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Good luck 🤞

I was nervous AF at my first promotion, don't know if it's your first time or not but I know the feeling.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
good luck.

I was in the same boat at the end of 2018 and it somehow worked out

Does the company you work at offer bonuses? if they do, make sure to review your offer closely around formal start date and the implications of that start date towards your incentives.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
good luck.

I was in the same boat at the end of 2018 and it somehow worked out

Does the company you work at offer bonuses? if they do, make sure to review your offer closely around formal start date and the implications of that start date towards your incentives.
I have no idea. What kind of bonuses are you talking about?

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so I need someone to decode this for me. I asked the hiring manager's boss (who I am friends with and really likes me) when I would hear something this week. He said:

"You should be hearing something this week I believe. At this point things have to go through HR from what I'm told."

So... am I dumb or is this good news?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Ok, so I need someone to decode this for me. I asked the hiring manager's boss (who I am friends with and really likes me) when I would hear something this week. He said:

"You should be hearing something this week I believe. At this point things have to go through HR from what I'm told."

that sounds good to me! sounds like they're just getting the pay/benefits changes straightened out

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

My company does this dumb shit too. HR for some reason has ultimate sign-off on whether promotions/raises go through or not and so it's not "official" until they say so. From that statement it sounds good, but they could be a little less vague.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
My company does this dumb shit too. HR for some reason has ultimate sign-off on whether promotions/raises go through or not and so it's not "official" until they say so. From that statement it sounds good, but they could be a little less vague.
Interesting. I wish they were but I don't want to come right out and ask him if I got it.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL

Typically the department communicates to HR their interest in the winning candidate and HR reaches out with an official offer letter. If you didn't get it, in my company, the department reaches out. YMMV obviously.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

There's a lot of red tape with companies when it comes to getting hired. Requisitions, benefits enrollment, payroll, etc. Generally all of this is under the "going through HR" umbrella. So it sounds like good news.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Typically the department communicates to HR their interest in the winning candidate and HR reaches out with an official offer letter. If you didn't get it, in my company, the department reaches out. YMMV obviously.
Good to know.
There's a lot of red tape with companies when it comes to getting hired. Requisitions, benefits enrollment, payroll, etc. Generally all of this is under the "going through HR" umbrella. So it sounds like good news.
I figured so. Makes me kind of worried that HR could just deny me the job, though.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Good to know.

I figured so. Makes me kind of worried that HR could just deny me the job, though.
The odds of that are generally pretty slim. If the opening has already been created, most of the time they won't pull it back unless there are budget issues. From there, it's just following the path to getting a butt in the seat. Unless something goes wrong with the background check / drug test, it's pretty straight forward.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
The odds of that are generally pretty slim. If the opening has already been created, most of the time they won't pull it back unless there are budget issues. From there, it's just following the path to getting a butt in the seat. Unless something goes wrong with the background check / drug test, it's pretty straight forward.
HR denying you would be for non-performance reasons I think. Like failed drug tests or potential work issues if you were dating a soon-to-be supervisor or subordinate
Welp I don't do drugs nor am I anyone there so that's good loo

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it is in the bag, but any official offers will be done by HR so the guy can't say anything more.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
You should simply relax. You are a known quantity to this company as they have worked with you for two-years. No one likes to waste their time and would not have put you through any "interviews" if they had not already made a decision to hire you. There may simply be some kind of paper delay if you were initially hired through a consulting/temp agency.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Try and relax and not overthink - it's the worst. All the best for tomorrow and good luck!

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
You should simply relax. You are a known quantity to this company as they have worked with you for two-years. No one likes to waste their time and would not have put you through any "interviews" if they had not already made a decision to hire you. There may simply be some kind of paper delay if you were initially hired through a consulting/temp agency.
Thanks. I have an obsessive mind when I get anxious or depressed and so i constantly question everything.
Try and relax and not overthink - it's the worst. All the best for tomorrow and good luck!
Thank you! I thought it would be yesterday but I haven't heard anything yet.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I got a promotion at my job about a month and a half ago and it was kinda similar in the sense that the updated benefits, payroll and role had to go through HR. I'd say it's good news and you shouldn't worry that much about it, "going through HR" is usually a formality to update the records and all of the stuff they handle. And yes, I get the anxiety as I was very anxious before being promoted too, it's normal. Don't overthink it and try to patiently wait for the news.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
I got a promotion at my job about a month and a half ago and it was kinda similar in the sense that the updated benefits, payroll and role had to go through HR. I'd say it's good news and you shouldn't worry that much about it, "going through HR" is usually a formality to update the records and all of the stuff they handle.
How long did it take them to actually send an offer letter?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
How long did it take them to actually send an offer letter?
Well, we had a meeting over Teams with my boss and a person from HR where they explained the situation to me, the new salary and all that and that was it, they said HR would handle the rest and make sure my new salary would be reflected on their system the week after. In fact my new role was only updated like a couple of weeks ago lol, it's a big company.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like you're in a good spot, OP. The HR stuff is mostly a formality in your case.
I've been in similar situations before and you just have to relax and be patient since there's nothing you can do about it, these things move at a slow pace on the hiree end but there's alot of behind the scenes stuff they need to do

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hiring manager here. I deal with contactors to full time almost weekly. I don't know your particular company, obviously. But, as long as you aren't a total fuck-up and have performed your job acceptably then you getting hired on full time should be a mere formality.

If I send your info to HR it's for them to close out the posting and draw up the offer letter/benefits. Your a shoe in it sounds like. Congratulations!

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
I got a promotion at my job about a month and a half ago and it was kinda similar in the sense that the updated benefits, payroll and role had to go through HR. I'd say it's good news and you shouldn't worry that much about it, "going through HR" is usually a formality to update the records and all of the stuff they handle. And yes, I get the anxiety as I was very anxious before being promoted too, it's normal. Don't overthink it and try to patiently wait for the news.
Good to know. I'm not sure how my company handles it.
Looks like you're in a good spot, OP. The HR stuff is mostly a formality in your case.
I've been in similar situations before and you just have to relax and be patient since there's nothing you can do about it, these things move at a slow pace on the hiree end but there's alot of behind the scenes stuff they need to do
Thank you! This makes me feel better.
Hiring manager here. I deal with contactors to full time almost weekly. I don't know your particular company, obviously. But, as long as you aren't a total fuck-up and have performed your job acceptably then you getting hired on full time should be a mere formality.

If I send your info to HR it's for them to close out the posting and draw up the offer letter/benefits. Your a shoe in it sounds like. Congratulations!
This is super helpful, thanks. I hope so!

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Semi-related question, is contracting different in the US compared to the UK?

I'm based in the UK and I work/hire a large number of contractors across different roles(Project Managers, Software Engineers, Product Owners etc.) and they would never want to go perm due to the difference in salary? Most of the contractors I know are on at least twice as much as any perm member of staff.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018

I'm based in the UK and I work/hire a large number of contractors across different roles(Project Managers, Software Engineers, Product Owners etc.) and they would never want to go perm due to the difference in salary? Most of the contractors I know are on at least twice as much as any perm member of staff.
Varies really. There is also the benefits. You get health care as full time but jack shit as a contractor.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017

For me at least, I don't get as many benefits and I don't really have a lot of room to negotiate my pay. That's one of the reasons I need this promotion. I don't even get PTO which is a bummer.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Well guys, the hiring manager just called me and I didn't get the job. I'm really mad and confused. I'm going to start looking for something else. I just can't do it anymore.

The thought of looking for another job really pains me right now. I fucking hate it.