Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My brother and friend had been wanting to take me to the gun range for months now after having done it a few times themselves. With nothing to do today and feeling adventurous I decided why not, I'll be an American™ for a few hours. The men running the range were nice enough fellows, although I got to admit the armed officer hanging around the side of the building looked sheisty as hell, and I didn't approve of the "terrorist" target at all, but I'm not about to make a scene in front of a bunch of armed dudes.

I register, watch the safety video, sign up, give them my ID, and we buy the gear- guns, ammo, targets, eye and ear protection. We spent time working on the ear plugs; I was warned that improperly plugging your ears could result in painful tinnitus. Even then that doesn't prepare you for the first time you hear a gun being fired at close range. The moment you open the safety door and someone fires, it's simultaneously like having a balloon popped in your face and having your body shoved in the stereo of an EDM concert. You feel it reverberating through your body as much as you hear it. It's jarring and induced a lizard-brain desire to run, but I merely cinched up before calming down and making my way to my lane.

The guns of choice were a .45 and .9 pistol, a FN SCAR 17 rifle, and a classic six-chamber revolver (yes, we all said "It's High Noon;" fight us.) I was given an overview on the safeties, chambers, and proper handling and posture for each, and immediately understood I would never be able to load these in time during a live fight. Loading magazines sucks. It's like a PEZ dispenser with an attitude.

Shooting was equally intense. The .45's recoil fought back and I was unable to keep the gun steady; got one shot on the edge of the target. The .9 was comparatively a breeze and something I could handle one-handed. The revolver's recoil wasn't bad, but the trigger is five miles long and the anticipation throws you off. Better to just forego squeezing after a point.

The SCAR was the highlight. My brother fired it first while me and my friends were talking. We thought we had become desensitized to the gunfire around us and were hosting conversation. My brother pulled the trigger once and we scattered into the corner. Even from a meter and a half away you can feel the air rushing from the gun as it fires. That thing rocks your bones. I worked up the nerve to fire it a couple of times, and would have done more if the damn rifle wasn't so heavy. That's another thing they don't tell you in the movies: guns are really heavy! Even the pistols feel like sad lumps of lead.

I say all of this to say this: I have done what gun fans have asked of their opponents. I learned proper safety and handling. I have come to better understand the mechanical and etymological differences between different guns. I learned how to properly use the sights. I shot them with an average degree of accuracy.

The experience only cemented my stance to never own one.

I never felt comfortable firing, and I think part of that is because I didn't want to allow myself to become so. The power somehow manages to only become more indescribable and kind of horrible when you actually use one, because then you start contextualizing how it must feel to actually be hit by a bullet rocketing from something that is that heavy, that loud, that explosive. I couldn't imagine. I don't really want to, and it weirds me out to think that there are individuals out there obsessed with owning these things.

So yeah, a bit of abyss staring. I don't begrudge going to the range. It was fun in a daredevil way, particularly with how chickenshit me and my friend were, and I am not ruling out going to there again. But gun ownership? Not for this American. Again, I can barely load magazines. x.x

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I always found shooting guns to be boring and tedious , especially with sucky army guns , things jam every 5 seconds.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My dad was a huge gun nut and I was bored of guns by the end of first grade.
Bows were much more fun but I didn't stick with them much longer.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
You should try more active shooting activites like clay pigeon shooting. My father and I sometimes do that at my friend's property in NY state. We have a homemade flinger, buy a thing of clay pigeons and use shotguns to shoot them in the air. Way more fun than being at some boring range IMO.

Ranges are boring, I don't recommend them. Shooting a target in some corridor for 20 minutes isn't engaging. I like clay pigeon shooting because it makes you think more and try to actually aim.

OP
OP
Nepenthe

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Man you made that deeper than it needed to be.

Did you have fun at the range or not?
Haha, the last paragraph says it. I had fun, and I wouldn't say "no" to going again. But the experience did nothing to warm me up to the idea of gun ownership, much less having to use them on a living being.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed shooting shotguns at skeet targets.

But like you, I have no desire to own a gun or fire them regularly.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did it in Vegas and then in Prague got to shoot a bunch of rad shotguns and sniper rifle. Super fun. Tons of power in those things.
Would never own one, but going to shoot is pretty cool.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I only have experience firing .22 and .30-06 rifles, as well as shotguns, at the firing range. Honestly, I wouldn't mind going to a firing range again, though I'd be more interested in firing something along the lines of an M1 Garand as opposed to a machine gun. By the way, OP, if you're interested, then you could always drive a tank at some point.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Have shot many guns in my life. They range from "Wow, this thing is cool" to "Wow, I hurt. Can I go now?" Going out to isolated, private land and shooting clay pigeons is pretty fun. My grandmother and grandfather went hunting for deer together most of their lives. I grew up listening to a lot of their stories.

...but we should absolutely advocate for gun control. Knowing many people have multiple guns at the expense of people dying daily is horrifying.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy firing .45s and revolvers, usually only do it overseas though because ranges are really expensive in Aus sometimes. I don't have an affinity for rifles or shotguns and wouldn't own a firearm personally though. If I did own one, I'd keep it at the gun range or at the local police armoury. They provide free storage for hunting weapons if people don't want to keep a safe at home iirc, and they probably appreciate knowing where your weapon is if they ever have to go to your property I imagine.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this was nostalgic as hell, OP. The one and only time I went to a range and I had a similar "staring into the abyss moment" after having that much destructive power in my hands.

It just contextualized to me how terrifying it'd be to have one fired at me.

Thanks for taking the time to write out your feelios, OP.

Dec 2, 2017
I was given an overview on the safeties, chambers, and proper handling and posture for each, and immediately understood I would never be able to load these in time during a live fight. Loading magazines sucks. It's like a PEZ dispenser with an attitude.

That's because you need to keep grinding until you get one to drop that rolled with drop mag + outlaw.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only have experience firing .22 and .30-06 rifles, as well as shotguns, at the firing range. Honestly, I wouldn't mind going to a firing range again, though I'd be more interested in firing something along the lines of an M1 Garand as opposed to a machine gun. By the way, OP, if you're interested, then you could always drive a tank at some point.

Dammit that looks fun. Plus I'd nerd out over the electronics and such.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I'm with you. My dad lives out in the middle of nowhere, and spent a few years living 10,000 ft up in Colorado, so he's always had guns around the house for coyotes, bears and shit. Here in Texas, to scare off the occasional meth head trying to steal his lawnmower. I've never been a fan, I saw a family friend get shot and killed when I was little and I've never been comfortable around them. I'm not anti-gun, within reason (I'll never understand why anyone would ever need an AR or anything like that), but they just make me uncomfortable.

One year, I finally asked my dad to let me shoot one. A .45 revolver. He set up his target, a huge barrel, and instructed me how to stand, how to aim, etc. etc. I fired one shot, it didn't hit the barrel, and that was enough for me. I am just too nervous around them.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I register, watch the safety video, sign up, give them my ID..

Sounds like a lot. Family went down south, went to a range and they literally just asked for payment and sent them shooting. What's all these fancy extras? Heh.

Side note, an old lady 60s/70s came in with a duffel bag with 30+ guns in it and fired off all of them. Apparently shes a regular.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the fun in shooting a gun without killing or at least wounding something or someone. What's even the point?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The first time.bolding and shooting a gun is weird and intense. It blows my mind that people have jobs that involve semi-regularly firing them. It can be fun, too, but honestly I had more fun with a bow and a slingshot.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing wrong with that. Like others here, I don't mind going to firing ranges, but I wouldn't want to own a gun.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I have never shot a gun before, but I consider guns to be like opening Pandora's Box. They have the potential to turn humans into sadistic beings, and it's something I want no part of. I can appreciate them from a technological and craftsmanship point of view, but beyond that, no thank you.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
My Grandfather was an instructor at the local range, and took me out to it when I was younger and visiting. He was very good about teaching me that it wasn't a toy.

It was an enjoyable time with my Grandafther, and I remember it fondly.

As an adult, I've never really had an interest in owning a gun. When my Grandfather died, I thought about asking for one of his guns as a keepsake, but it was never important enough for me to follow through on.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, amusingly, I found out about it after researching feral hog hunting (as a result of a ResetEra thread on the topic). It seems that one of the places that offers feral hog hunting packages also lets you drive tanks.
I feel compelled to note that they also have fair amount of german items, including an Imperial Eagle spray painted on the side of their German shed. Apparently it's for staging reinactments where you take over the German shed with a US tank . . . but it still feels weird to me. When Slow Mo Guys filmed there, they covered up the insignia for filming.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I've been around/fired guns plenty in my life but have never had the desire to own one. The most fun I had was when a buddy of mine took me and we went trap shooting which I can confirm is a ton of fun.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Grew up with a lot of guns and going to the range with my dad who collected them. Lots of old military guns like the German K98 mauser, Russian SKS and Mosin-Nagant, French MAS 36, the AR-15, AK-47, and a few others. I loved shooting them from a historical perspective and getting to shoot some guns that were in a bunch of video games.

Not a huge fan of shooting pistols.

I liked learning to respect the power of guns from an early age. It's an okay hobby but it's not super fun to do on a regular once the novelty wears off.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I got to shoot WW2 guns, I think I got all the "famous" ones, they offer that in many places in the US, and I thought it was a pretty awesome experience.
I don't know, I don't ever plan on owning a gun, but I served in the military and it was quite interesting to actually hold those guns that I only saw in movies and feel like it was to shoot them.
Those things kick like motherfuckers.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Handguns are fun to shoot once for the variety factor but I agree range target shooting like that is boring.

Now turn your hand to a "duck style" shotgun range where the clay skeets come from one of a dozen spots randomly each with unique trajectories/forces and you compete against other shooters from other set towers. Fun as hell and that's what I got into the most years ago. A shotgun has a little more kick for added fun too.

However all that said, I'm with you, I have no desire to own a "real" firearm beyond a paintball marker (gun) as I play paintball with two different groups often enough. I certainly wouldn't want one in the house. Now my sister who married/migrated to the USA well her and her husband have over a dozens firearms between them.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I've fired a .22 lever action, a .22 handgun, a Mini 14, an AR-15, an Ithaca, two different M1911s (one in 9mm and one in 10mm), a Springfield .40 XD, an AK-47, and a Saiga semi-automatic 12 gauge. All on one day.

I loved it. I was way into gun culture at the time and that was the first time I'd squeezed off more than a round from a police friend dropping by the house in Venezuela. I loved it a lot. The ping of the reactive targets was good, the smell was good, the recoil felt good (except for the shotgun) and I didn't hit a damn thing with the Saiga, I just made some mayhem on the dirt berm.

Sandy Hook happened later that year, and it sucked a lot of the joy outta the experience. I didn't really feel dirty, but my love of guns really diminished from that point on. It wasn't fun. I thought about buying a Mosin Nagant, the only gun I could afford... but then no. Just didn't feel worth it. None of it felt worth it. I still was and am interested in the mechanisms of firearms and in ballistics... but I can't shake the reality of what these things do. It feels wrong to try and pretend they don't do what they do.