• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Oh yeah, we're doin' this.

(There will be spoilers. Obviously.)

Before I begin with the shit-slinging I suppose I should make it clear that I don't think it's a bad game. Just a thoroughly mediocre one. It is not without its good points. It looks alright. The music is cool. The combat system is generally sufficient and at least manages to avoid just boiling down to press-dodge-button-when-attacked-mash-attack-button-at-all-other-times. The giant snake was nifty. The tortoise house was also nifty. The "Can I turn into an animal"dialogue scene was really good. I liked the blue dwarf. I loved the smooth transitions between cutscene and gameplay and I hope it catches on more. (Although the one-take thing was a completely unnecessary gimmick and seems like a lot of extra hassle for zero return.)

So that's the niceties done with... let the complaining commence.

I really couldn't bring myself to give much of a shit about Old Man Kratos. I tried, I really did. I've liked other similar characters and I expected to like him, but nope. Sure, Young Kratos was an arsehole weighed down with a ton of shit dialogue, but at least it was interesting to see what ridiculous nonsense he'd pull next. I'd be more interested to see how he went from that angry pectoral muscle in sandals to a relatively well adjusted grouch than watching said grouch fail to hug his grieving kid.

Speaking of, Atreus didn't feel like a character to me, he just felt like a pint-sized plot device. His only personality traits seem to be "child" and "does whatever the plot requires". I mean, he somehow has a respiratory illness because he doesn't know that his grandpa was a god? How the the fuck does that make any sense? Except, y'know, as a fumbling attempt to add unnecessary drama and urgency to the revelation."*cough* I'm sick father. *cough*" "You're a demi-god boy". "Oh. I'm not sick anymore." He then proceeds to suddenly start acting like a jerk with hilarious speed. Like, within ten minutes of being told his heritage. Then gets over it equally fast. It felt like the characterization equivalent of a speed bump. (Props to the voice actor though. I was impressed when I learned that he really is only 11 years old or so. Even if he did sound unmistakably modern at times.)

On the mechanical front, the RPG elements were a bloated, unnecessary mess. The only ones that seemed to have any tangible effect on gameplay were the special move runes (and even most of them just boiled down to press-button-for-AoE-burst-damage). I tried completely changing my loadout a few times to stack different stats and barely noticed the difference. Not that it mattered because ten minutes later you're going to find something that's all round better anyway. Likewise the crafting just felt like some tedious menu-driven busywork to complete every so often. Hold down square to spend a bunch of shit you didn't know you had to make a number you won't notice get slightly bigger. Whoop-de-do. I suspect the RPG elements were mostly there to provide rewards for the exploration and side content, which was possibly the most disappoint aspect of the game.

I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish with the enemy levels. A few times while side-tracking I came across enemies would would take tiny amounts of damage and one-shot me in return. Then later after I'd gone to the dwarf shop and held down the square button a bunch of times to make my numbers bigger I went back and killed them with relative ease. In terms of game design, what exactly does this accomplish beyond wasting some of my time?

The boss fights were disappointing across the board. I liked the first one with Baldur tearing up Kratos's back yard. That was the point that I sat up and started thinking the game would be good. Turned out to be the high point of the entire damn thing. Could've switched off right there and saved myself a lot of time. After that, despite the game nattering on for ages about when total dicks Thor and Odin are, it was just a simple game of Simon Says with a random dragon and two QTE punch-ups with the same Norse crackhead. Oh, and trolls. So many fucking trolls. I would groan every time I saw one of those big, boring idiots. The Valkyries, collectively, ended up feeling more like proper boss fights than anything the main game had to offer.

The praise for this game has left me scratching my head. This is all a game needs to be for players and reviewers to collectively cream their jeans? It feels like GTA4 all over again.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Sometimes it's okay for people to not like games

Sometimes it's okay to have experiences different from the norm

Sometimes your grievances with how a game handles it's design can be perfectly justifiable to you and you alone

Play Dishonored

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread again? Not every game is for everyone. For me it's one of the best adventures of all time.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
In your opinion, what would you like to have seen been done differently, so you would feel that it would be a much better game?

EDIT:

The praise for this game has left me scratching my head. This is all a game needs to be for players and reviewers to collectively cream their jeans? It feels like GTA4 all over again.
How so? Sounds to me like you're kinda critcizing people for linking the game that much. For me personally, i really liked the game mainly because of the story. The combat and visuals are also great.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's fine, you're not gonna like ever game out there but what I don't understand is why do people keep throwing this shitty line?
Are you suggesting that you're some higher being with a better taste than others? What is it so hard to understand about people having differing opinions?

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's a great game with flaws.

My personal issues were difficulty balance, bosses and color coded enemies.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Game doesn't jive with ya. That's alright. It's bizarre though, that you attack the critical acclaim it has received, seems petty imo.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself however, one of the best games this generation easily.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

It's alright if you didn't like the game, but why are you scratching your head if lots of other people like it?

Did you play the god of war games before this one?
Did you like the motivation, combat, boss battles in those games?
Because the latest one went in a totally different direction when it comes to combat and story.

Maybe if the hype was less, you would be less dissatisfied?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That's fine. Not every game is for everyone, so long as you understand that your opinion is in the minority and state your case in a clear fashion, we're good.

I understand where you're coming from, not for GoW which is probably my GoTY barring RDR2 absolutely killing it, but with BoTW, which does absolutely nothing for me despite how widely beloved the game is. It's fine to not like something that's popular... whether we need a thread about it every time is more debatable, but admittedly you've put in sufficient effort to potentially drive some good discussion.

There are a couple of questionable bits in the post about your inability to understand why most people love the game and sing its praises which say more about you than the game. You may want to investigate the root of this paucity of empathy or understanding of your peers.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Me too!

It was very boring at several points throughout the 10 hours I played it.

Combat was good tho.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I really hated how misleading the fight with Baldr was. You kill him and it's almost a throwaway, you don't even learn his name, it suggested to me you'd slay a whole pantheon. But no, just him three more times and his dipshit nephews twice.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The boss fights were disappointing across the board. I liked the first one with Baldur tearing up Kratos's back yard..

Boss fights are disappointing across the board... minus the first boss fight you say... oh and the Valkyries which are bosses just optional ones.

And the Modi and Magni boss fight was one of the best in the series, so when it comes to human sized enemies they know what they're doing.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
You know he had the illness because he was suppressing his godness? Boy had to know he is a god in order to take advantage of his abilities.

I also find people who can't believe someone else likes something they don't hilarious. Get over it.

Feb 8, 2018
haven't played it and didn't read anything in this thread. Would be better to put the spoiler warning in the thread title.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Clearly OP, your taste in gaming is garbage and you should never play a video game again since the entire medium is not for you.

/s

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
It is ok to not like stuff as much as other people like. People are different.

For me, I don't like how open the game was. And don't like RPG mechanics in games. The more shallow RPG stuff are the better for me. Other than this, it is one of my favourite games of the year so far.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Last year we had an 'I actually though BOTW wasn't that good' thread every few weeks. This year we'll be doing it with GoW. Second thread like this in a week or two.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
I really hated how misleading the fight with Baldr was. You kill him and it's almost a throwaway, you don't even learn his name, it suggested to me you'd slay a whole pantheon. But no, just him three more times and his dipshit nephews twice.
Misleading? The fact you dont get his name and that you obviously didnt kill him entirely is a huge sign that the gonna come back and be important.

Also with the games main structure being going to the mountain its pretty obvious you wont encounter the whole pantheon on the way there.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
haven't played it and didn't read anything of your OP: Would be better to put the spoiler warning in the thread title
Eeeeh.... would be better for you to avoid LTTP threads until you've beaten the game, honestly. It's nobody else's job to make sure you avoid spoilers for a game that's been out for months, especially when you specifically click threads discussing that game.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I do think that GoW is a good (not great) game, and I share some of your complaints. I found the combat great, considering that the game is not Japanese, but I agree that the enemy levels and RPG elements are unnecessary and not that well implemented, considering how bad is traversing the world to return to some older areas to do side content.

The game was for me disappointing considering the ridiculously high critic reception and the glowing reviews, but as a game itself, I think that GoW is a good game that tries to do too much for its own good.

And the one take camera thing? Is BS.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Why would killing one guy/god suggest that you killed a whole bunch of gods? Honest question. Especially if the boss felt like a throwaway and you didnt learn his name.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin

I dont think its ever suggested who you might kill, apart from Thor. And the fact his is first introduced as 'The Stranger' is a pretty big clue that there is more to him than meets the eye.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"The praise for this game has left me scratching my head. This is all a game needs to be for players and reviewers to collectively cream their jeans? It feels like GTA4 all over again"

Why do people like this game that I dont like???!!!

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
My tldr review: almost everything outside the combat is just ok. 7/10.

That upgrade system was tedious. The antagonist was lame. The super serious tone was too silly to take serious. Level design was weak in too many places. Boss fights were a mixed bag. Didn't care about the characters. Going from point a to point b was rarely fun and the epic scope of previous god of war games is basically gone.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really liked the game, I even platinumed it, but it's so damn overrated.

The game has so many flaws it's beyond me how so many were overlooked by critics.

- The story is just outright bad, it feels like everything that happens should have been the opening hour or two, not all of it.

- The realms outside of Midgard was horrible. The story ones were so disappointing and don't get me started on how lame the optional ones are, it's just pure filler.

- The bosses sucked complete ass. Who wants to fight a troll or ancient five times over? The only interesting boss battle in the game was probably the dragon. The rest were all far too similar and small in scale for a God of War game. Can't believe we went from 3 having a crazy ton of epic bosses to this.

- RPG elements useless and flawed. The story was really easy but outside of that the difficulty varied too much. You would have side quests which unlocked when you would be at a level where you would struggle. Instead of the game telling you this it would happily let you go ahead with them and get your ass kicked. The only way to really level up is through the story as well which mase the other RPG-like stuff a bit pointless. It's a flawed system.

I've missed out on other points but those are the main ones. The dialogue, graphics and gameplay are all great, I'll give the game that. Sadly, the rest isn't.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
It gets really annoying to always see the same responses to every thread like these with "play other games" or "here we go again" attempting to shut down any discussion.

Going on about how you feel the praise is overblown is not that much better, however. I mean, just present your argument without trying to dismiss how others felt. It's better for everyone.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Speaking of, Atreus didn't feel like a character to me, he just felt like a pint-sized plot device. His only personality traits seem to be "child" and "does whatever the plot requires". I mean, he somehow has a respiratory illness because he doesn't know that his grandpa was a god?
He's an inquisitive kind-hearted kid that also has a short fuse like his father when it comes to certain things. Sometimes, our emotional health can affect our physical health. Atreus is in constant conflict with his identity, comparing himself to his father, to his mother, his lack of skill, etc. Things don't become hunky dory just because he finds out the truth. The truth didn't fix his illness, Freya did. The truth only gave him understanding of why he flared up against Modi

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Not everyone likes the same games, nothing wrong with that. Still, not being able to see why other people like it sounds a bit silly... For starters, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of games whose combat is as fun as in GOW.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
it's about that time to hate on critically acclaimed games i guess.
People will always hate on what's popular, but I find a lot of the time it's simply a counter-reaction to hyperbolic praise so they feel the need to present different viewpoints. I myself found nothing particularly great in GoW, but the praise it's been getting suggests it's one of the best games ever made; something I just cannot fathom people even thinking.

Not everyone likes the same games, nothing wrong with that. Still, not being able to see why other people like it sounds a bit silly... For starters, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of games whose combat is as fun as in GOW.
Do you rate GoW solely on combat? It's probably the best aspect of the game and certainly not the mindless level-design and rote copy/paste puzzles which make up a lot of the game and are equally as important to the overall design as the combat.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
This may be the dumbest argument against a game I've ever read. Are you seriously arguing that stronger enemies that you can't beat at first is bad design and a waste of time? You literally say in the same post that you didn't notice the stats making a difference and later you say those enemies were easy once you came back with better equipment. Like what the fuck? You also got plot points completely wrong.

Clix

Banned
it's about that time to hate on critically acclaimed games i guess.

People will always hate on what's popular, but I find a lot of the time it's simply a counter-reaction to hyperbolic praise so they feel the need to present different viewpoints. I myself found nothing particularly great in GoW, but the praise it's been getting suggests it's one of the best games ever made; something I just cannot fathom people even thinking.

It's more that every game is not for everyone and not everyone will feel the same even if they like the game.

I'm with the OP. I like the game well enough, but I find it repetitive and disappointing compared to the first three entries, which I find superior in every way.

I don't think it's a bad game at all, but I do think it's just... okay.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the game, but it has its fair share of significant issues that I imagine can drown out enjoyment for a lot of people (they didn't for me). These include the RPG mechanics, the camera angle, the one shot, the boss battles, the enemy variety, the Quick Turn (this relates to the camera, though), and the MacGuffin based storytelling for the main quest and the side quests. Those are clear areas where the game lacks, IMO, and which I hope SSM addresses with the sequel. If those bother you, I sympathize with you.

That said, why does the fact that people like it bother you? They like it. You don't. That's all there is to it. Why suggest others liking it suggests ulterior motives?

Status
Not open for further replies.