Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Me and my partner are huge horror movie and monster movie fans, the other day we got into a discussion about what our favorite movie monsters and creatures are. We both ended up coming to the conclusion that the Xenomorph is the coolest monster from a design and aesthetic standpoint.

alien_1.jpg

I understand that the thing has been driven into the ground lately from over exposure and Ridley Scott's poor management of the franchise, but if we just look at it as a monster and nothing more, I don't know if anything out there is as cool as it in my personal opinion.

It hits everything that I look for in a creature:
  • Fear inducing and threatening design, even after being fully revealed.
  • Looks aesthetically cool and makes for a dope action figure, not too grotesque or unappealing to look at.
  • Unique features and aspects that make it an interesting threat such as it's acidic spit and ability to be a powerhouse, yet sneaky and diabolical.
And outside of those bullet points, it's just plain interesting and such a well laid out concept. There's something so incredibly different about it, that makes it stand out among the leagues of other monsters out there that feel so samey.

Here are some runner ups that I thought got close though:

The unused Shin Godzilla 5th Form (not a ton of great pictures of it sadly):
godzilla-almost-became-this-humanoid-hybrid-shin-gojira-17.jpg

The Bear from Annihilation:
f9iET0v.gif

The Thing (And it's various forms):
6baa26274b679785f7b43c59822c9b59.jpg
images

These rad things from Attack the Block:
549edba09a31ba4936eecbad258c8409b83aebe7.gifv

Give me those cool monsters everyone!

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think they are a contender for best monster necessarily, but Gremlins still kinda freak me the fuck out.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I love the mutant bear from The Prophecy!

prophecy.gif

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
It sort of got overexposed in the final act, but I did enjoy this monster from The Ritual

x2cjuou1a5lxrbdgivrd.jpg

And you gotta love Pan Labyrinth's Pale Man.

neca-pale-man.png

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
It sort of got overexposed in the final act, but I did enjoy this monster from The Ritual

x2cjuou1a5lxrbdgivrd.jpg
That thing from The Ritual is probably the best thing about that movie and saved the entire movie for me. I would have posted it as a runner up if I had remembered it!

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly up there.

The movies really do hold up overall in regard to design. Even the lesser films are nice to look at.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Anyways, I don't know if they win, but I think Mind Flayers (aka Illithids) are in contention. They're one of D&D's most dreadful monsters, a race of super-powered psionics intent on enslaving or killing everything that's not them.

479b1a8bde0f56a001ef89b2e3c640b0.jpg

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
220px-Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

It's not scary, but makes so much sense in context and is kind of hilarious. It's got nothing on Alien in the op, but it's still pretty iconic and fun.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
R.I.P Giger, you absolute king.

I don't think anything tops it but The Thing is a good pick.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Agree with the alien, and The Thing.

I have always loved the design of the werewolves in Dog Soldiers aswell.

d6f14767b7302d12269cae745923e94d.jpg

The few times you see it properly it's so sleek, yet so fucking large and intimidating. Love their movement aswell.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Design-wise absolutely. They look genuinely terrifying and alien. There's been so many great designs in movie-monsters, I'll never get tired of them like Gremlins or Predator. I can't really think of a more recent one that stuck in terms of design.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing tops the Xenomorph and nothing ever will.

it's the perfect mix of Human and Inhuman qualities

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
May I present the being that constantly whoops Xeno ass (design wise and literally):

maxresdefault.jpg

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways, I don't know if they win, but I think Mind Flayers (aka Illithids) are in contention. They're one of D&D's most dreadful monsters, a race of super-powered psionics intent on enslaving or killing everything that's not them.

479b1a8bde0f56a001ef89b2e3c640b0.jpg

Also their reproductive cycle is even more body horror than xenomorphs.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
May I present the being that constantly whoops Xeno ass:

maxresdefault.jpg
Predators are insanely cool, but I have a hard time thinking the monster in of itself is worthwhile of beating the Xenomorph because Predators "coolness" comes mostly from their attitude and equipment. Strip them of their equipment and they're kind of just ugly humans.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
The only monster that I can think of that could realistically top the Xenomorph would be Cthulu.
gk7CMVA.jpg

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
It still kinda bugs me when people call it the Xenomorph. Gorman used that term to mean "an unknown alien". It's not the name of the species.

I think Alien: Covenant made it official (in the end credits) but that's just another thing Covenant fucked up.

I do love the alien though. It's a perfect organism.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Recently played through Return of the Obra Dinn, mild monster spoiler for those that haven't played:
The creatures/demons from the Soldiers of the Sea chapter, yeah it is technically a demon riding a spider crab but damn these were awesome.
KWc37Bm.jpg

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Predators are insanely cool, but I have a hard time thinking the monster in of itself is worthwhile of beating the Xenomorph because Predators "coolness" comes mostly from their attitude and equipment. Strip them of their equipment and they're kind of just ugly humans.

but they're badass ugly humans, even with no/almost no equipment.

See: https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Scarface

He survived for a hundred years on a planet infested with Xeno like monsters with a glaive and wristblades only

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The bikers from Mandy were excellent and terrifying.

RhtbYLI.jpg

dBIwvs1.gif

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The Xenomorph is a great, iconic design but I'd argue it has been overexposed and demystified. It's no longer that scary.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, nothing beats it. As for more recent movies, I thought the baby monster in The Void was pretty disturbing.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The creature from The Ritual immediately came to mind, so with that already posted, Ill go with The Fly:

tumblr_norgl70lYy1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Also, any number of creatures from Bloodborne

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I think I just realized the TRUE best design!

langoliers_nf.jpg

God these things could legit be horrifying if they didn't look so dumb.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Also, Those We Do Not Speak of, from The Village:
f8WqayC.png

Even though they're just suits. God I love this movie, one of the best soundtracks too.