Seventh

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rarely wear mine. Having a 4KTV is kinda pointless really, because the difference is night and day when they're on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man today just got way, way better

I go to check my mail and what do I find inside?

DRyQl8CUEAAj5Gx.jpg:large

My VR Prescription lenses. These are for the Vive, I have some for the Rift coming in as well.

I'm about to try them out, I'm so incredibly excited

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Didn't even know prescription VR lenses existed, totally makes sense though. Also loving the little "have fun" note they wrote on there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't even know prescription VR lenses existed, totally makes sense though. Also loving the little "have fun" note they wrote on there.

Thus far, there are 3 companies that make these VR lenses, and depending on whether you have a rift or a vive, and whether you are nearsighted or farsighted, a different source is recommended. I have a different company making my rift prescription lenses, but they're not in yet.

These are chosen because they're concave and slot into the vive eyesockets so they don't move.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ OP I really hope you weren't driving at all during this time. This is scary like if you need glasses, you need glasses and should be getting a check-up yearly. Take care of your eyesight people.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Happy for you OP! Wore glasses all my life but my eyes had developed astigmatism 3 years ago. Will never forget the double take I did when they gave me lenses to correct it.

Also I feel like you and my one friend would be able to gush about sight for hours. He had a terrible optometrist growing up and didn't know he needed glasses till he was 18. And that was only because the DMV kicked his ass to the curb hard thanks to him utterly failing the vision test. When he put his glasses on for the first time the dude didn't sleep for the next 24 hours cause he wanted to see everything he had missed in the last 18 years of his life. Dude's still giddy about it years later lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my goodness, those lenses for the Vive make an enormous difference. I had a go at Space Pirate trainer and WOW at the detail.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I guess without having a frame of reference, I just never realized how blurry everything is.

I was eating dinner with my family tonight, and I would pull down my glasses and compare. I could see ridges on this light fixture with my glasses on, but with them off, all texture was gone and they looked smooth. It was kind of shocking.

I have some prescription lenses coming for my VR headsets as well, I am so excited to see what that's like.

Also, I can feel my eyes already less strained. I used to have headaches all the time, as soon as I put on these glasses it was like my eyes were thirsty and just took a huge gulp of cold water. My eyes feel so good right now.

That's amazing! I've never heard it described that way before or in such detail? Curious, what's your vision?

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I went from 100x to 225-250x reading glasses over 2yrs.:(

FYI: Don't look at yourself in the mirror wearing glasses, the pours on your nose will look huge.:)

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing! I've never heard it described that way before or in such detail? Curious, what's your vision?

I'm afraid I don't have my script near by so I can't say, but the numbers weren't that huge. My dad, however, had one number that was like over 5. His vision is really bad. Which is why I'm so extra excited that these VR Lenses came in. He's never been able to wear his VR Headset with his glasses, the difference in VR for him is going to be insane.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man that must feel great! I have had Lazy Eye (strabismic amblyopia, though my eyes "look" normal) my whole life (basically means I lack depth perception and 3D vision) and the patches didn't fix it, if I ever am able to fix it with VR or otherwise, I imagine seeing binocular vision will blow my mind as much as glasses did for you!

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

VRlens.eu for my vive, and Widmo for my rift. VR Lens Lab is a bigger company and is better known, but they make convex lenses and it causes bad barrel distortion according to many many reviews I read. Searching r/vive, I got a strong preference from people to try VRLens.eu, which is a much smaller company (in fact, the frame is printed on a normal 3D printer in the guy's house) but they use concave lenses that don't cause distortion. A quick look around in my vive and I can confirm the image wasn't distorted.

I went with Widmo for the rift specifically because of the frame they use. It's also 3D Printed, but it's built to hook inside the face plate of the rift, which holds the lenses in place so they don't move. Other rift prescription lenses apparently have a problem because they just sit in the face mask and rely on pressure to stay in place.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
No... i can't see without glasses for me it's not that it turns the world into HD. It makes the world be something more than just a blur (anything I can see clearly without glasses has to be a couple of inches from my face). I can't even fathom being able to function without my glasses, I bet I could be legally considered blind without them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man that must feel great! I have had Lazy Eye (strabismic amblyopia, though my eyes "look" normal) my whole life (basically means I lack depth perception and 3D vision) and the patches didn't fix it, if I ever am able to fix it with VR or otherwise, I imagine seeing binocular vision will blow my mind as much as glasses did for you!

they actually have a treatment for stabismic amblyopia using vr. it was one of the first immediate medical applications. and yeah, they can enable you to see stereoscopy.

https://www.seevividly.com/

doctors began prescribing it in actual clinics back in october after 3 years of tests.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Curious what you've been doing this entire time. Do you have to drive? Or just slightly exaggerating the difference lol

What is your prescription?

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it took me forever to get glasses partly because it's not a megablur or smear appearance like some other people say. I was finally able to reconstruct what my glasses-less vision looks like to me

"normal" picture i snagged off google, what i guess reality looks like to people with perfect vision and with my glasses on

n8G3hnz.png

what it looks like with them off

4IcRtEp.png

Just a very, very slight blur that's technically just Gaussian Blur set to 2 in Paint.net, but IRL it's more like edges of things blur into each other. The text part took me a bit to figure out, but it's a circular blur on just the text on the signs. So I can see the world around me good enough that I wouldn't feel handicapped without glasses, but reading any information off anything has become more and more of a struggle minus my glasses. And it looks like the text is 'falling apart' like that. I can see a car down the street, but fuck if I can tell you what the graphics on it say.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i'm 30 and only got glasses when i was 29. putting them on for the first time and then looking at trees was pretty mental.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
The first time I put on glasses the first thing I noticed was that tree bark had grooves and wasn't just a general brown smudge.

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
Same reaction when I got glasses as a kid. Now I hate wearing them outside, I'm all about that contact lense life. Just wish my eyes would stop deteriorating every year so that I can get laser eye surgery

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Also, it took me forever to get glasses partly because it's not a megablur or smear appearance like some other people say. I was finally able to reconstruct what my glasses-less vision looks like to me

"normal" picture i snagged off google, what i guess reality looks like to people with perfect vision and with my glasses on

n8G3hnz.png

4IcRtEp.png

Just a very, very slight blur that's technically just Gaussian Blur set to 2 in Paint.net, but IRL it's more like edges of things blur into each other. The text part took me a bit to figure out, but it's a circular blur on just the text on the signs. So I can see the world around me good enough that I wouldn't feel handicapped without glasses, but reading any information off anything has become more and more of a struggle minus my glasses. And it looks like the text is 'falling apart' like that. I can see a car down the street, but fuck if I can tell you what the graphics on it say.

Heh, the second picture is like when I need a new prescription and the old one is getting a little too weak for me.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's been a couple of years since I've had my eyes tested, I need to go soon.
I think my specs are just HD ready a the moment.

Nov 26, 2017
Birmingham
I don't understand this at all. Your eyes are possible one of the most important things on you, your life would literally be hell if you lost your eyesight, yet you never went to get your eyes checked out in 7 years?

Oct 26, 2017
There's a very easy way to tell if you're even slightly nearsighted that I guess most people either don't know about or can't use because of all the light pollution in big cities.

Look at the sky on a clear dark night. If the stars don't look like tiny dots to you - if they look slightly blurry or circular - you need glasses.

It's as simple as that. No reason for it to take years until you notice.

With 20/20 vision you should be able to tell the difference in (angular) size between a bright star (like Sirius, Vega, Betelgeuse etc.) and a planet (Venus, Mars, Jupiter).

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I've had glasses since I was about 13 and I've just worn the things ever since. I hate going outside and not seeing things in the distance clearly. My vision is too important to care about wearing glasses all the time. Having said that, as soon as laser eye treatment becomes affordable for me I'm doing that. Keeping glasses clean and streak free for important stuff like seeing a film in the cinema is a legit pain in the ass.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really short sighted in one eye (can't read text when I'm sat arms length from my monitor) but my other eye isn't that bad so unless I close my left eye my vision seems almost normal. This meant I didn't realise I needed glasses until I was 14 or so but man, it made a pretty massive difference in my life. Not only did I look like a total nerd, but having proper depth perception and improved hand-eye co-ordination was like a super power. It was almost a case of waking up one day and being "Oh shit, suddenly I'm not useless at sports"

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super jealous of people who don't have to wear the glasses/contacts constantly, since I have really bad eyesight (-6 R and -6.5 L) and if I didn't wear mine, I wouldn't be able to see shit.

But the first time I got glasses, I definitely remember the sensation. I was amazed at being able to see every leaf and every blade of grass.

Rebel-TT

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Tobago
The trees have individual leaves who would have thought it!

I swear, I only was able to see big splashes of green before getting my glasses; it's a huge difference.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I bought new glasses this year, and the prescription went down only slightly, but the feeling was still there, like going from 1080 to 4K, everything just looked so much sharper. I'm used to glasses, but I would love to live without them. I did have contacts some years back and I loved having full field of view and not have anything on my face, but using them was too much of a chore, and they didn't really fix my astigmatism so the end result wasn't quite as good and it was noticeable when reading text on a screen.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhm how the heck do you people function and realize you don't need glasses? Maybe it's just because my prescription is so bad, but I literally couldn't be a functional adult without glasses. The entire world is a blurry incomprehensible mess until about 1.5 inches in front of my nose with no glasses. I have no idea how you could go seven years and not realize you need them.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Same reaction when I got glasses as a kid. Now I hate wearing them outside, I'm all about that contact lense life. Just wish my eyes would stop deteriorating every year so that I can get laser eye surgery
Do it when you get the chance. I got Lasik in October, and it's already life changing.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
My wife kinda did the same thing. Complained for years that HD didn't look like it was worth "all that money." Came home with glasses one day and completely seriously said "has the TV always looked that good?"

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm as blind as a bat without my glasses or contacts. It's a bit scary when I'm not wearing them as I can only make out blurry objects. Astounded by how some people have glasses but never have the need to use them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

n8G3hnz.png

4IcRtEp.png

To people asking how i could drive, this is a pretty good description of whay my vision is like. Maybe a tad bit clearer because i can still read text on signs on the road, but all fine detail in my vision is lost. The glasses return the detail. Its really like going from sd to hd, best comparison i can give.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
You're supposed to be able to see the pores on people's faces, OP. Congrats on the new sight!

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had that feeling a few years ago. Anybody else leave them off sometimes when you don't want to take in so much? For me it feels like kind of a super power to remove them and not be able to see faces or details when the world seems overwhelming.

Nov 1, 2017
I remember when I first got glasses, I had tried to cover up my worsening eye sight but eventually had to get them. I remember driving and noticing the leaves on the tree's and how much detail there was. It blew me away to be able to so clearly pick it all up.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I have this as well. I wonder if my depth perception is so bad I don't notice it missing. I wonder if this is why I could never so those damn magic eyes things as a kid.