• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Full disclosure: I was invited by Focus Home to their event last week as member of Vampyr's community and, as every person invited to a press event, my travel fees were covered by the publisher. I am also moderator on Focus' official forums and Discord server.

Since I never wrote previews, I won't make you endure one. It's more some mind dumps and I rely on your question to fill the rest.

"Proof"

Vampyr

Welp given some of previews out, my opinion will be harder to "sell" than I thought :D

I had a 30 minutes hands off followed by a 2 hours hands on. Both were on a dev build. After presenting the conditions of the hands off and the hands on, my thoughts will mix both without necessarily mentioning if it is based on one or the other.

The hands off was commented by Game Director Philippe Moreau. The demo played by another dev starts a few hours in the game. It showcased a big chunk of the gameplay loop: Investigation, combat, exploration, feeding on citizens, moral choices, loot / craft, narrative… I don't know what their plans for communication in the following months are but this sequence would make a really good video commentary showing to people what to expect from the game.

Then, the two hours hands on. This is the first two hours of the game. Half of it is a bit linear to teach you the main mechanics and to kickstart the story. Then it opens up, letting you free roam in the some parts of the semi open world. I won't spoil anything story related, but you'll spend some time in and around the Hospital and quests at the beginning are related to this place and its people. It's naturally the citizens around this place (Hospital employees and patients) you'll encounter first.

Impossible to talk about NPCs in Vampyr without mentioning the "Citizen System" that allows the player to feed on any citizen in the game to grow stronger, at the cost of impacting the district they live in (health and economy) and the lives of the people who knew them. I kinda dropped the ball here by not really trying to kill a citizen by myself (beside one I would qualify as "tutorial citizen") because I just couldn't bring myself to pick one "randomly" :( I guess the communication around the game emphasizing that each citizen has its own life worked on me because I just didn't wanted to kill one blindly, I found it would have been "unfair". This decision made the progression in the story harder for me (and a lot of people it seems), being a bit under-leveled. It is technically possible to finish the game without sacrificing a citizen but I feel DONTNOD will make everything they can to push you to embrace your inner vampire.

The combat. Welp I have to be "that guy" and make some eyes roll, but I did enjoy what I played, quite a lot. Even though I was under leveled because I refuse to feed on a citizen, I managed on my 4th attempt to get rid of the few enemies that caused a lot of troubles for many of the people who played it. I even almost got the boss at the end. The combat works with a right hand / left hand system:
- Right hand: Several type of melee weapons (sword, hatchet, bat, saw, …).
- And the left hand is for secondary weapons that can has several uses: pistol, stake to stunt enemies, some sort of syringe to drain blood from the enemies and fill up our own blood bar.
There is a fair amount of weapons and tools (at the end of the session, I had like 4-5 weapons and a bunch of tools). For the few I tried, the feeling can differ quite a lot. I won't tell you it's the best system I ever played but, t the very least and balancing issues aside, it is working.

Then I don't deny the issues other journalists had with the combat. Even the staff warned us the game needed more balancing. I think I dealt with it better because I am a PR0-G4M3R I've been following the game for a long time so I was already aware of some "new" elements as the blood system. One thing is clear: You won't success if you try to smash your way through.

Going back to blood: In Vampyr, you have three bars to look after: Health, Stamina for hits and dodges but also a Blood bar for vampiric powers. Here's an anecdote for you: In the first interviews DONTNOD made for the game back in 2015 / 2016, you could read that there was only one bar. Health, stamina and blood were basically one resource the player had to manage: Dodging or using a vampiric power would basically drain your health. Though they had to drop it because it was too punitive for the players. Two hours isn't enough to get used to that system so I ended up quite often with the blood bar empty rather quickly. Of course, you can take a quick bite on an enemy to fill up that blood. Or, since the game also has a crafting system, I suppose you can craft some blood reserves for the fights. As said, blood is here to unleash your vampire powers gained through XP. The powers unlocked and upgraded are up to the player: Aggressive, defensive, healing, shadows, …

Without entering too much in story details, from the bunch of NPC I interacted with, the voice acting is really good and the person who is voicing Dr. Reid is doing a phenomenal job. Between the hands off and the hands on, I could heard several ranges of emotions and several traits of his personality. From scared about what is happening to him to a really confident man who knows he is famous among his (human) pairs and has been toughen up by the War (I am thinking of a story related dialogue with a nurse from the hands off here). That voice acting is definitely carried by a strong and sharp writing. The narrative team found a really good balance between the info dump required to paint each citizens and the flow of the conversation that often go straight to the point. Again, it's only two hours but all the citizens I talked with were fascinating enough to listen to them without wanting to skip dialogues.

Random other extra mind dumps:
- The game is gorgeous. I guess if you take every assets individually there's probably nothing to write home about but the global presentation is really strong. The work they did with the shadows in the background, the mix between the fog and the lightning are truly selling the game as something that will age well.
- Dr Swansea is awesome.
- The size of the map seems okay+. I was only in one of the four districts but the size seems acceptable and, even if it won't compare AT ALL with a Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Origins or even a Horizon, there's enough room to explore.
- Still in that regard, there is a narrative explication for that, but I expect some people will be annoyed about how empty London feels at times.
- … but is she really a vampire?
- It seems that the "I have to collect enough datas about a citizen for them to trust me and let me enter their home" will be an important mechanic in the game, hence my use of "investigation" earlier.
- The medical side of the character seems more important than I would have thought. From crafting medicines for citizens (to heal them and make their blood yummier for you later?) to story reasons. You even have a quick access to a medical check up for each citizens.
- Beside their health, the more you know about a citizen (by unlocking the "hints" on their characters sheet), the more XP you'll get by feeding on them. The game really emphasizes on the "romantic" aspect of the vampire in that regard: The closer you are with your future victim, the best it is for you.
- Did I say that Dr Swansea was awesome?

The Council

A really good surprise. I truly believe the first trailer and PR don't sold the game really well. I would qualify it as a narrative RPG, because boy there are a lot of RPG elements in it. You start the game by choosing a class (Diplomatic, Detective and a third one but I cannot understand what I wrote on my notes /shrug). The class you'll chose will give you several skills and you'll gain XP, points to spare, level, … as the story progresses. Those skills will give you access to unique choices and actions that will cost you "effort points" (that you can refill if you explore enough). All of that gives you access to other paths during negotiations with other characters. It can honestly be a bit overwhelming but I think Focus and Big Bad Wolves have something really interesting to differentiate themselves from what Telltale or Life is Strange are doing. In terms of exploration of levels, it is closer to what Life is Strange offers (I say that because you can move the camera around the character and the locations are quite big for the genre). Regarding how the story branches, hard to tell based on half of an episode but several times I had the impressions I could solve some elements differently or at least heavily alter the narrative.

The game might feel to be on a budget when looking at a technical level but if it's a concession to have a good branching system, why not? Some artistic elements might turn some people off, but I'll definitely check the first episode when it drops in March.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
And, ICYMI, a bit of b-roll gameplay that I saw during the hands off of Vampyr:

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
How about the stealth? Is important not to be seen? Or you can walk normally in the city even being a vampire?

I do like stealth games, but nowadays I am not so keen to play them. Deus Ex for example, or MGSV TPP (I played it Rambo-style).

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for your impressions, they sound really good!

How was the performance and on which console have you played ? Or pc?

It was on PC. I noticed a couple of framerate drops in the hands off but nothing really serious. If it is still in the final build of the game, it would be in the "annoying but ugh whatever" category of technical issues.

How about the stealth? Is important not to be seen? Or you can walk normally in the city even being a vampire?

I do like stealth games, but nowadays I am not so keen to play them. Deus Ex for example, or MGSV TPP (I played it Rambo-style).

You have some stealth / tactical powers (some sort of "shadow power" that turn you into fumes) but it is not a stealth game. At best, you can avoid some of the combats (vampire hunters won't notice right away that you are a vampire) but sooner or later, you'll have to fight.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Did the world seem 'lived' in or was it only that way in certain areas? You said it was empty at times?

Edit: Related question, were buildings accessible like say Dishonored or did you run into a bunch of locked doors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to feed on a citizen without killing him?

I don't think so.

How big was the chunk of the game you got to play? Did the world seem 'lived' in or was it only that way in certain areas?

I was only in the district of the hospital and it seems wide enough to not live again the frustration of Remember Me where there were a lot of interesting things but you felt in corridors all the time. Then the term "semi open world" seems to be here for a reason: It won't be near the size of the standard of AAA games today. Not even close.

I might be wrong, but I think groups citizens aren't always far from each others and between them you mainly have vampire hunters and creatures (who can fight each others). But then there is a lot of environmental story telling showing that, even if the game happens at night, many people live during the day: You can see interior of some houses, evidences of daily life activities, ...

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, thanks for the write-up bro, really enjoyed reading your impressions.

If you had to compare the combat in Vampyr to another game, what would you say it reminded you of the most? Just wondering if it had like a "feel" to it that reminded you of another game basically.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the Vampyr impressions! I feel like this is day 1 for me unless it's riddled with bugs ala Kingdom Come. How big is Vampyr's world? I mean just a comparison with others? Is it like Novigrad from Witcher 3? Thanks again

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game do anything to address the cognitive dissonance of feeding vs. combat? It makes such a big deal about choosing who to feed on, but the few times I've seen combat it's just fighting faceless enemies that you'll slaughter and move on from, without any further considerations. It's very at odds with the morality the game tries to push, about the importance of even one life.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the impressions, I've got a general question but was there any word of any of Focus' other games at the event that weren't on display, like the Call of Cthulhu one?

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, thanks for the write-up bro, really enjoyed reading your impressions.

If you had to compare the combat in Vampyr to another game, what would you say it reminded you of the most? Just wondering if it had like a "feel" to it that reminded you of another game basically.

Really hard to tell tbh. I don't have any example in mind. Though I could say that combat in Vampyr could have the same "issue" than let say The Witcher 3: If you don't take advantage of all the systems the game has to offer and only spam attack & parry, then the combat can quickly become quite boring. A chore, even. From a discussion I've had with someone at Focus, at lot of complaints seems to come from the fact that Vampyr doesn't emphasize how important it is to use these systems (from vampiric powers to feed on citizens in order to grow stronger). It seems very few try to feed in order to level up for making the game easier (I haven't either).

Beware, I don't say to subtext some sort of "journalists suck". If many didn't use all the game has to offer, it is probably because the game doesn't manage to communication all these informations and this is something I hope DONTNOD & Focus will manage to fix (beside some adjustments in difficulty).

Is feeding limited to once an in-game day?

I don't think there are restrictions on that regard. Though you need to rest to "cash in" the XP won and level up by acquiring new abilities.

Thanks for the Vampyr impressions! I feel like this is day 1 for me unless it's riddled with bugs ala Kingdom Come. How big is Vampyr's world? I mean just a comparison with others? Is it like Novigrad from Witcher 3? Thanks again

I saw only one district though hard to give a definitive answer. I am not that worried about the size of the map though.

Edit:

Thanks for the impressions, I've got a general question but was there any word of any of Focus' other games at the event that weren't on display, like the Call of Cthulhu one?

All of Focus line up for 2018 and 2019 was here. IIRC, people were able to play Vampyr, Insurgency (it was a LAN), The Council and Master of Anima. The rest was hands off (beside some 2019 titles like Fear the Wolves, The Surge 2 or Werewolf which were only Q&A sessions with devs).

I think there are previews for Call of Cthulhu already online (or in the coming days). From what I understood, gameplay was shown.

Last edited:

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Really hard to tell tbh. I don't have any example in mind. Though I could say that combat in Vampyr could have the same "issue" than let say The Witcher 3: If you don't take advantage of all the systems the game has to offer and only spam attack & parry, then the combat can quickly become quite boring. A chore, even. From a discussion I've had with someone at Focus, at lot of complaints seems to come from the fact that Vampyr doesn't emphasize how important it is to use these systems (from vampiric powers to feed on citizens in order to grow stronger). It seems very few try to feed in order to level up for making the game easier (I haven't either).

Beware, I don't say to subtext some sort of "journalists suck". If many didn't use all the game has to offer, it is probably because the game doesn't manage to communication all these informations and this is something I hope DONTNOD & Focus will manage to fix (beside some adjustments in difficulty).
Right on, and yeah that makes sense. It's good to know that it isn't just a straight hack-n-slash though and that the different tools and powers are actually important to use. I think that all sounds pretty cool, with the different tools in the off-hand and stuff. Thanks again, man.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
How is the dialogue system? Are there skillchecks or sth like that?

The dialogue wheel is quite basic but you also have to take into consideration the "mental resistance" of the citizens (if one's mental resistance is higher than yours, you cannot mind control him to bit him) but also you can do medical check ups on them (they can suffer from several diseases that lower their blood quality).

Oct 26, 2017
Great write-up. Thanks for the impressions. Really looking forward to this one since I liked Remember Me more than most people.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for impressions. I intend to get it day 1. This year is turning out to be unusually strong for me on RPG front :)

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Since lots of questions have already been asked about Vampyr (which sounds better the more I hear about it), I want to know more about The Council, which seems like the board game Clue reimagined as a video game.

How long did the demo you played last? How is the acting/voice acting overall? Were there any QTEs ala Telltale or was it purely narrative driven? Personally for you, did the story leave you wanting more? When you say choosing classes, do you mean different characters entirely, or is it just a spec/ stats kind of differentiation? Was there much interest in the game at the event?

I really hope this game succeeds, because I'm always up for more episodic narrative adventure. This game seems to be under the radar right now, hopefully it's a sleeper and not a bomb.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of the Council.

So...it's Telltale mixed with an RPG?

This actually sounded kinda promising:

Failing an encounter does not mean 'game over', and no action can be taken back. The consequences are permanent, and may result in persistent physical disfigurements or mental traits that help or hinder the rest of the player's adventure.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
Thanks alot for your information.

If I may, could you shed some light on the citizens ?, by that I mean is every single citizen really matter ?, like every one of them named with history and whatnot ?, or are there some NPCs who are nameless or without effect on the world ?

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Since lots of questions have already been asked about Vampyr (which sounds better the more I hear about it), I want to know more about The Council, which seems like the board game Clue reimagined as a video game.

How long did the demo you played last? How is the acting/voice acting overall? Were there any QTEs ala Telltale or was it purely narrative driven? Personally for you, did the story leave you wanting more? When you say choosing classes, do you mean different characters entirely, or is it just a spec/ stats kind of differentiation? Was there much interest in the game at the event?

I really hope this game succeeds, because I'm always up for more episodic narrative adventure. This game seems to be under the radar right now, hopefully it's a sleeper and not a bomb.

My hands-on lasted one hour and I was told each episode had 2 to 3 hours of playtime. I liked the voice acting but am more mixed on the writting: Some great lines / moments but overall okay-ish. No QTE (as in "button prompts a la Telltale"), but a lot of timed events (a bit frustrating because the game has unusual mechanics so I failed them quite often).

I think your main character will remain the same. The class is just stats.

I haven't read previews today but people who played it seemed, like me, quite surprised (though expectations were low, Focus didn't really sold the game well so far IMO)

Never heard of the Council.

So...it's Telltale mixed with an RPG?

This actually sounded kinda promising:

I think "Narrative Adventure RPG" fits the game. Though the order is important: it's a Narrative Adventure game before being a RPG.

Thanks alot for your information.

If I may, could you shed some light on the citizens ?, by that I mean is every single citizen really matter ?, like every one of them named with history and whatnot ?, or are there some NPCs who are nameless or without effect on the world ?

Each citizen mattering is the promise, at least. All citizens you'll encounter have a name and a "life". They also have relationships between each others (that you'll have to discover) and one disappearing should have an impact on the others and maybe the district.

In the E3 2016 demo there was a thug threatening and blackmailing a merchant. If you kill the thug, the merchant will prosper and give you better items and better prices but the thug also has a sick son. Killing him will make the child running away and spread diseases in the district.

I did saw some nameless people but it was just sick patients in hospital bed. You cannot interact with them. More some kind of morbid decoration than anything :D

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a lot for the first impressions.

I had not heard of The Council before but it sounds pretty interesting to me. More information from the dev website:
The game delivers a fresh new take on the Narrative Adventure, where your choices and character growth truly matter. Take hard-hitting decisions, develop an array of skills and directly impact how the story unfolds. With permanent, long-lasting consequences, there is no going back. Plunge into a tale of intrigue and manipulation in the style of a classic murder mystery, living with a cast of alluring characters each hiding their own dark secrets. Trust no one while uncovering dire truths – no matter the cost to mind and body.

THE COUNCIL's first episode, THE MAD ONES, takes place in 1793, with players taking the role of secret society member Louis de Richet after his invitation to a private island by the enigmatic Lord Mortimer. Joining him are a number of high profile guests, including Napoleon Bonaparteand President of the newly-formed United States of America, George Washington. The strange nature of this private reception goes beyond just the prestigious guests –Richet's own mother has recently gone missing on the island, while each and every one of the colorful cast seems to have their own hidden agendas.

In a new twist for the genre, the core of THE COUNCIL' gameplay comes from manipulating and maneuvering through character encounters using the unique Social Influence system. During confrontations, skills and limited resources can be used to gain the upper hand and achieve the desired outcome. Players will be rewarded for their knowledge of each character's psychological vulnerabilities and immunities, as well as their preparations made during prior exploration and investigation. Failing an encounter does not mean 'game over', and no action can be taken back. The consequences are permanent, and may result in persistent physical disfigurements or mental traits that help or hinder the rest of the player's adventure.

Richet's numerous skills can be developed to align with your chosen approach to the adventure. Solve issues with diplomacy, delve into occultismto expand your historical and scientific knowledge, or play detective and see what others do not perceive. Your skills will have uses that extend far beyond your conversations with fellow guests. With 15 diverse skills to use and invest in, players are free to uncover THE COUNCIL's mysteries how they see fit, with wildly varying consequences depending on their methods. The results will forever alter the life of Louis de Richet, of those around him, and shape history as we know it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nice impressions. I'm kinda looking forward to this.

When did it become episodic though? Or is that just "The Council"? I'm still not sure what it is.

Edit: oh, it's a separate game? I feel stupid now.

Deleted member 11025

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All my questions have been asked already so I just want to say thanks for the write-up. Vampyr looks promising and The Council sounds really cool.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the combat is good, but even if it's a bit toss i'll just have to look past it. These guys tell stories that are worth playing through imo.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
My hands-on lasted one hour and I was told each episode had 2 to 3 hours of playtime. I liked the voice acting but am more mixed on the writting: Some great lines / moments but overall okay-ish. No QTE (as in "button prompts a la Telltale"), but a lot of timed events (a bit frustrating because the game has unusual mechanics so I failed them quite often).

I think your main character will remain the same. The class is just stats.

I haven't read previews today but people who played it seemed, like me, quite surprised (though expectations were low, Focus didn't really sold the game well so far IMO)

I think "Narrative Adventure RPG" fits the game. Though the order is important: it's a Narrative Adventure game before being a RPG.

Each citizen mattering is the promise, at least. All citizens you'll encounter have a name and a "life". They also have relationships between each others (that you'll have to discover) and one disappearing should have an impact on the others and maybe the district.

In the E3 2016 demo there was a thug threatening and blackmailing a merchant. If you kill the thug, the merchant will prosper and give you better items and better prices but the thug also has a sick son. Killing him will make the child running away and spread diseases in the district.

I did saw some nameless people but it was just sick patients in hospital bed. You cannot interact with them. More some kind of morbid decoration than anything :D
Thanks for answering all the questions! You're like one of the only source of detailed information on this game so far. on the internet

Btw did you get to try any of the other games at the event? There's woefully little press coverage from it. I'm pretty excited for Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and Greedfall. There's like one article for each out in the wild.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for answering all the questions! You're like one of the only source of detailed information on this game so far. on the internet

Btw did you get to try any of the other games at the event? There's woefully little press coverage from it. I'm pretty excited for Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and Greedfall. There's like one article for each out in the wild.

I only got to play The Council & Vampyr, sadly. There wasn't a lot concerning Werewolves (just discussion with devs and a few artworks) and GreedFall was hands off only. With a bit of luck some footage will be available soon!

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
Vampyr sounds amazing, looking forward to this one even more now. Thanks for your input + transcribing your experience!

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Thanks for the impressions! Looking forward to both, but hoping Vampyr in specific cleans itself up a bit because I am more interested in the story than a frustrating experience.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
sounds like Vampyr is shaping up to be the game I'd hoped it would be. Hoping Dontnod can prove that Life is Strange isn't a fluke and they can make a number of great games.

I'd honestly never even heard of The Council but it sounds interesting, will have to keep it on my radar

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Vampyr seems like it's running the risk of being one of those games where you can't use all the fun powers unless you wanna wreck everything.

That's a story people are free to tell...but it doesn't mean I want to play that lol. It's Victorian era...gotta be a few murderers I can off. xD

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
This always on my radar. Thanks for sharing.

I heard in other thread that the game is bad according to the one who play in this session has me worried. I think it becomes clearer that it due to they dont know a game much and got overwhelmed.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Gonna go ahead and bump this since I don't wanna make a new thread just for a question but what's going on with "The Council" anyway? Back in December many news websites said Episode one was gonna be released in February, but now it is March and The Council is... not here?