horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I gotta rant. It is a major problem to use your headphones via usbc and I really struggle to find a satisfying solution. I have some nice pair of Sennheiser headphones and I intend to use them.

Last year I got myself an S21FE, because I needed more horsepower to play some demanding games. I was initially super wary about the lack of the port, but there are adapters right? Surely you can just get one and it's like nothing ever changed, right? It's just a fucking adapter bro

NO.

Amazon is flooded with braided, electronic waste. Most adapters will get you lots of popping and drop outs. They belong straight in the trash.
Samsung themselves have stopped selling theirs, so it's hard to find something from a reliable brand. After getting burned by noname products, I found someone selling hundreds of brand new Samsung adapters on ebay. It was very obviously not brand new when I received it, but it was legit packaging that they had stitched back together and it actually did the job.

Ok but I sometimes I gotta charge my phone too, now what?
There's adapters with both usbc and aux connectors -> trash
There's usbc splitters though!

So I plug my usbc charger and my headphone with headphone adapter into the splitter. It's getting a little unwieldy, but it works.
One of the cables was marked with a headphone symbol, the other with a lightning bolt. For the longest time I played along and plugged them in according to these runes. One day I wondered, what if...what if I plugged them in the other way

Something in the headphone adapter got cooked. All of a sudden it started getting hot really fast when I used it. Broken. I had destroyed my adapter by plugging it into the wrong usbc port. Are you for real

I then got one from Apple. Can you believe they're still selling theirs despite being the ones that started all this, in contrast to the company that first mocked them for it before following suit? Ironic
People complained about the volume of these being too low on Android, and while it is definitely lower, these people must be either deaf or drive cheap shit. It works, it's fine. But still, it is not perfect. I get slight popping in games (just like with the previous one, it wasn't perfect either). I can live with that, but you have to wonder why I gotta settle for less.

But now, my splitter is offcially broken as well. It's probably also cheap garbage hidden beneath the nicely braided cables. Gotta order some more cheap garbage now.

I like Samsung phones, I've never had a smartphone from another company. But audio over usbc appears to be an unsolved problem, and we have to deal with it just so they can sell their stupid bUdS. Their product lineup is really fucked up when buying the more expensive models gets you LESS features and versatility.

Even while all the adapters still worked, I found myself using my old phone a lot for youtube and such, because it was just that much more convenient and gave perfect sound quality. It's ridiculous.

Legit contemplating stepping down again from the S class or switching to a different brand entirely next time I need a new phone.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
for real got me looking at bluetooth dacs because i got couple good wired sony headphones

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled with losing headphone jacks at first, but at this point I would never go back to wired earbuds. And I'm a big fan of wired headphones for home use. It's a bit like when they dropped floppy drives from the iMac: It seemed insane at the time, but it kind of ended up just being a part of the advancement of tech.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Holding onto my Pixel 5A for dear life because it's one of the last phones to come with a headphone jack.
It's tough to find a good looking case for it, though.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I highly suggest you just use wireless charging instead of trying to cable charge. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but focusing on wireless charging will help a lot.

Latonin

Sep 23, 2023
Agreed. I really miss having a jack on my phone. Bluetooth through my car radio is really crap at picking up my phone.

Would be nice to be able to play higher quality files too.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still miss my Zune sometimes just because it had a really good headphone port, like Wolverine in bed reminiscing about a picture of the Zune.

I will say my Mac Mini has a great headphone port and is wonderful for music, but obviously that's not portable.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I was resistant to Bluetooth because I go through headsets quickly and didn't want to keep replacing expensive earbuds....until I realized, it's always the cord that goes bad. Now I'm Bluetooth all the time.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I switched to all wireless, too annoying to have to deal with crap Aliexpress adapters that have taken over Amazon. Just get some nice quality wireless earbuds and live with it because phones aren't going back. I finally switched to wireless headphones for my PC, too, for the convenience and I get an insane battery life of like 120 hours on a charge.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Aug 27, 2019
I'm still hanging on to an import LG V50 for it's quality DAC (and cheap dual screen attachment) so I hear you.

Hoping the Moondrop phone might be something.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Just buy a phone with a headphone jack instead of whatever garbage Samsung is pushing this year.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Amazon is flooded with braided, electronic waste. Most adapters will get you lots of popping and drop outs. They belong straight in the trash.
I just bought a couple of no-name USB C-to-3.5mm DACs this week. =(

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of using wired headphones again makes me shudder, not a chance. Get on board, gramps :P

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I hate that the top of the line Samsung phones/tablets no longer come with the headphone jack, considering my most used apps are rhythm games where bluetooth headphones are either absolutely inferior due to having to fiddle with offsets, or are straight up unusable either because the game doesn't offer offset config or the range is too small to account to the BT lag. Also mad that the best A series tablet has a defect with multitouch that makes it a no-go for those games.

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
Cracking me up how people ragged on Apple for the whole "courage" thing, but nobody wants to use wired headphones now

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Same issue here, OP! Was disappointed, but I'm using my old phone as an mp3 player now.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thought I'd hate the change when it came but I got a pair of decent earbuds and never looked back.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Just making an observation about how many replies have said the same

There's a defense force for everything, including terrible sounding bluetooth headphones inferior to wired ones.
Every phone I've ever had includes a headphone jack, and the BT equivalents are never anywhere close to a solid pair of wired headphones.

And yet people refuse to buy Sony phones that still come with both MicroSD slot and headphone jack ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To be fair the Sony phones are often ludicrously expensive for no clear reason

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
There's a defense force for everything, including terrible sounding bluetooth headphones inferior to wired ones.
Every phone I've ever had includes a headphone jack, and the BT equivalents are never anywhere close to a solid pair of wired headphones.
No argument here man. I love my wired Audio Technicas

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
i also hate samsung because i went and upgraded by a single model number and suddenly the bluetooth headphones that worked just fine with the previous two or three galaxy models are no good and incompatible

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017

To be fair the Sony phones are often ludicrously expensive for no clear reason

I know that wired headphones have better quality, but the trade off is worth it, imo. I have really nice wired headphones, but I always reach for my Airpods on the go.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
One of the cables was marked with a headphone symbol, the other with a lightning bolt. For the longest time I played along and plugged them in according to these runes. One day I wondered, what if...what if I plugged them in the other way

Lol. I get the temptation.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I know that wired headphones have better quality, but the trade off is worth it, imo. I have really nice wired headphones, but I always reach for my Airpods on the go.

Opinions, i guess. I hate using bluetooth for audio and avoid it whenever possible. The only exception I can think of is in the gym.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Same, man.

Headphone jack and fingerprint reader on the peak was peak smartphone

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I am not kidding when I say that I will never buy a phone that doesn't have a headphone jack (or microSD support).

I do not want to have to deal with Bluetooth and shit, I just want to be able to plug my damn headphones into my damn phone and then, when I'm at home, I can just unplug the headphones from my phone and plug them into my laptop.

Like my current headphones have a detachable wire and can be used both wired and wirelessly and it genuinely feels wrong if I'm using them wirelessly, I'm just so used to it and I don't like it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's truly stupid. Like I'm looking at my phone and it's plenty fat enough. You could have fit a headphone jack in there if you wanted to

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree as well. I miss the audio jack so much. Yeah, I can pair my wireless buds that I got for free from Samsung, but I have yet to get a usb-c adapter for my wired earbuds. I wish I still had my Galaxy S8, but the battery was already on its last legs. I still get popping every now and then whenever I listen to Youtube Music. Never had this issue with wired earbuds.

I'm looking at cheaper looking phones that have an audio jack. Yep, them removing it is one of the dumbest shit ever. The wires never bothered me.

It is what is is, but I don't have to like it. Fuck Apple for starting this and "courage" my ass. They just want to sell their expensive airpods yo.

Oct 25, 2017
If I had spent a lot of money on wired headphones before they removed the jack I'd be pissed too

I get the reasons for removing the jack but having options is nice

Even though I have some killer wireless headphones now and doubt I'd ever use a wired pair again

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of getting the Sony 1 V. My Galaxy S has a green line now and this is the second time and I'm tired.

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
The trade-off is phone companies saving 5 cents per unit and shaving off half a millimeter of thickness. It's bullshit that we increasingly don't have options anymore.

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
I've never seen this before; which headphones are they?
they were some model of JBLs, and to be fair i assume the fault is on their end and not samsung, but they were the only wireless in-ear headphones i've found that both stayed in and stayed comfortable while running. been running in silence ever since and i hate it