Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree I wish they would cut out a lot of the bloat and leave in the core things for you to. Even something like Korok seeds, instead of 900 maybe just scatter 30 of them and make the rewards more meaningful, or get rid of them altogether.

I also don't care much for achievements like speedrunning a game on X difficulty but I'd say that's a bit different.
This would unequivicollaly make the game way worse. THe point of having so many is to ensure that everyone who plays, no matter the route they take through the games worlds, will be able to collect enough to recieve at least a few tiers of the inventory expansion reward just by playing normally and paying attention as they traverse the world without going out of their way too much to look for them. You are not meant to be actively hunting for them, and reducing the amount to 30 would pretty much mean most players never see more than 1 or 2, if they even find that many

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately over the last 10-15 years there has been a growing outcry from gamers when the games are not long and my long I mean at least 30+ hours

Modern games have huge amounts of filler

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
This would unequivicollaly make the game way worse. THe point of having so many is to ensure that everyone who plays, no matter the route they take through the games worlds, will be able to collect enough to recieve at least a few tiers of the inventory expansion reward just by playing normally and paying attention as they traverse the world without going out of their way too much to look for them. You are not meant to be actively hunting for them, and reducing the amount to 30 would pretty much mean most players never see more than 1 or 2, if they even find that many

They would obviously have to adjust the world for that to make sense, or how about changing how you get these inventory upgrades. There's nothing that says the Korok seeds need to be the way to do that. Personally I prefer games with limited but meaningful upgrades (see metroidvania games) than BOTW which IMO is a really bloated game (not just talking about Korok seeds) that made it worse in ways than the other games despite some things being better.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I agree I wish they would cut out a lot of the bloat and leave in the core things for you to. Even something like Korok seeds, instead of 900 maybe just scatter 30 of them and make the rewards more meaningful, or get rid of them altogether.

I also don't care much for achievements like speedrunning a game on X difficulty but I'd say that's a bit different.
Dude, if you got the golden turd for collecting all 900, you deserve it because you were never meant to do that. It's not expected that most players would even come close to that, and in fact you run out of expandable inventory slots long before you hit 900. There is no practical incentive to gathering them all. They're only meant to be plentiful to make them easier to stumble across.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They would obviously have to adjust the world for that to make sense, or how about changing how you get these inventory upgrades. There's nothing that says the Korok seeds need to be the way to do that. Personally I prefer games with limited but meaningful upgrades (see metroidvania games) than BOTW which IMO is a really bloated game (not just talking about Korok seeds) that made it worse in ways than the other games despite some things being better.
BotW got so much acclaim because it's a game where every player is able to forge their own unique path and still experience everything the game has to offer. To accomodate this task you need excess. It's only bloated if you're actively chasing after every possible shrine/korok seed, etc which is ultimately not how the game is meant to be played. The point is to let players explore naturally and then be rewarded for doing so, this type of experience is literally impossible if every single goal and objective in the game is meant to be uniquely meaningful

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Getting all 120 stars in Mario 64 didn't feel like it was a chore or being uselessly stretched. Every star had a proper original content/mission tied to it. That's how it used to be, and that's why completing something 100% felt great. I wish I could still enjoy that feeling today, but I can't.

I dearly love Super Mario 64, but that's absurd. Every stage having a collect 100 coins for a star was absolutely padding that did not always feel great. And making the castle's secret slide have two stars that made you do it twice to get the second star was padding.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this in the trophies/achievements thread a bit back but I find it absolutely stupid as all fuck that devs force you to get em all for the trophies. If you have X amount of collectables, make me only get a subset of them. Like if you have 100 of 3 different times. How about 30 of each? At some point it just becomes mind numbing. I mean it's easy to just ignore and move on but it's annoying.

Always appreciate when devs are conscious of that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild us only bloated if you think 100% completion of every last thing the game has to offer was ever considered a normal, intended goal by the developers. It wasn't. It was specifically designed to give players the freedom to proceed on their own path at their own pace.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
It's going away. Last of Us ps3 was really hard to platinum compared to Last of Us 2. No difficulty trophies at all when LoU has like 10. God of War and Horizon don't even have difficulty trophies. It's not hard to get collectables. It is hard to beat a game on the hardest difficulty that really wasn't structured to be that hard in the first place.

Oct 12, 2020
Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild use all the insane number of collectives, so that player don't need to find all of them to finish the game. Some of them can be harder and some easier to give the players build in difficult levels. You can't make through a difficult challenge, just collect some easy Moons to move on.
If think it would be better to not even have a "100%" marker. I say, Mario Odyssey 100% happens for the developer, if you get all the costumes and both endings. But they also know, that some people like to 1000% the game, so they let those stats in the game.

As an older gamer myself is just wouldn't try to 100% games anymore. Play as long as the games are fun.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Dude, if you got the golden turd for collecting all 900, you deserve it because you were never meant to do that. It's not expected that most players would even come close to that, and in fact you run out of expandable inventory slots long before you hit 900. There is no practical incentive to gathering them all. They're only meant to be plentiful to make them easier to stumble across.

No shit. I never got the turd because I barely went out of my way to get the seeds, I don't know how many I got but not that many. I never even bothered doing all the shrines because they eventually got boring to find and do (think I only did around 70 of these). Just because you can carve your own path or whatever doesn't mean this isn't bloat, especially if you've played prior Zelda games and you were used to have a big world but limited amount of items to collect, BOTW is obviously a big contrast and depending on the person...not for the better.

BotW got so much acclaim because it's a game where every player is able to forge their own unique path and still experience everything the game has to offer. To accomodate this task you need excess. It's only bloated if you're actively chasing after every possible shrine/korok seed, etc which is ultimately not how the game is meant to be played. The point is to let players explore naturally and then be rewarded for doing so, this type of experience is literally impossible if every single goal and objective in the game is meant to be uniquely meaningful

I think there's a balance they can set between giving a lot of freedom and not needing to throw in 900 almost useless collectibles...which at some point after you max out your inventory, the reward even for the players is greatly diminished. Like I said though I have issues with BOTW beyond the seeds, it's just an example.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The average person doesnt' even finish their games. Like even linear story games only get like a 50% completion rate.

I think most open world stuff isn't designed to be 100%, but rather designed so there's something to do wherever you go.

Pretty much, they're basically virtual amusement parks to some people; you don't have to ride every single ride to enjoy yourself or get your monies worth.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No shit. I never got the turd because I barely went out of my way to get the seeds, I don't know how many I got but not that many. I never even bothered doing all the shrines because they eventually got boring to find and do (think I only did around 70 of these). Just because you can carve your own path or whatever doesn't mean this isn't bloat, especially if you've played prior Zelda games and you were used to have a big world but limited amount of items to collect, BOTW is obviously a big contrast and depending on the person...not for the better.

I think there's a balance they can set between giving a lot of freedom and not needing to throw in 900 almost useless collectibles...which at some point after you max out your inventory, the reward is greatly diminished. Like I said though I have issues with BOTW beyond the seeds, it's just an example.
The fact that they stop giving rewards after a certain point is an intentional decision to try to let players know they shouldn't feel compelled to try and collect them all. And most casual players will never even get close to the amount you need to max inventory space. I played for over 100 hours and did all shrines and I didn't even max my inventory

Deleted member 5189

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love completing games 100 % and create my own excel sheets to track my progress. But some things you can do should not be done. Like collecting all seeds in Breath of the Wild.

Everyone who collects all Korok seeds is just insane. It's a waste of time and the game mocks you for even trying with what you get at the end. There are 900 seeds so that people find enough to upgrade their weapon slots but no one needs to find them all. If there would be less seeds, some people would miss too much and don't have a pleasent expeirence.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
The fact that they stop giving rewards after a certain point is an intentional decision to try to let players know they shouldn't feel compelled to try and collect them all. And most casual players will never even get close to the amount you need to max inventory space. I played for over 100 hours and did all shrines and I didn't even max my inventory

I think if that was the intention they should just get rid of them after. Maybe even design it so they put 900 on the map or whatever and you can choose which ones to pickup, but once you find the last one you need to max out the inventory (maybe even increase the number a bit if they're gonna put that much effort) poof them from existence. I think I've seen some other games do something similar with loot for a quest or something. I just don't like bloat being there for no reason, but YMMV and this is the design philosophy I prefer (and other games have done).

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think if that was the intention they should just get rid of them after. Maybe even design it so they put 900 on the map or whatever and you can choose which ones to pickup, but once you find the last one you need to max out the inventory (maybe even increase the number a bit if they're gonna put that much effort) poof them from existence. I just don't like bloat being there for no reason, but YMMV and this is the design philosophy I prefer (and other games have done).
But there are some people who do enjoy finding them for the sake of it? Why remove content for those who do enjoy it simply because some people can't get over the fact that just because content is there doesn't mean they have to engage with? The whole point of BotW is you can do as much or as little as you want and when you've had your fill you can beat the game at any time. If you're forcing yourself to play content you aren't enjoying that's on nobody but you

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. I gave up on trying to 100% Yoshi's Island, which is a 25yo+ game. That game's red coins are worse than most modern checklists IMO. Yoshi's Story IIRC had you sniffing for 30 melons in every stage. Worse than finding bananas in DKC, which at least were just there kinda for fun I think. LOL

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love completing games 100 % and create my own excel sheets to track my progress. But some things you can do should not be done. Like collecting all seeds in Breath of the Wild.

Everyone who collects all Korok seeds is just insane. It's a waste of time and the game mocks you for even trying with what you get at the end. There are 900 seeds so that people find enough to upgrade their weapon slots but no one needs to find them all. If there would be less seeds, some people would miss too much and don't have a pleasent expeirence.
It's not mocking, it's just cultural difference and a Japanese pun.

Kin no unko - Wikipedia

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It really depends I think.
Getting 100% in God of War for example isn't too bad, while I am still having nightmares of the jump rope minigame in FF IX.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
But there are some people who do enjoy finding them for the sake of it? Why remove content for those who do enjoy it simply because some people can't get over the fact that just because content is there doesn't mean they have to engage with? The whole point of BotW is you can do as much or as little as you want and when you've had your fill you can beat the game at any time. If you're forcing yourself to play content you aren't enjoying that's on nobody but you

The consensus seems to be that if you actually go for the 900 you're crazy, so I'm gonna just leave it at there's probably a middle ground between putting in things like this and not putting in so much that you're deemed an insane person if you go after them all even if they're available. I'm not sure what this accomplishes as I don't see that many games out there pulling the same stunt, so I'm going to assume most developers probably don't want to put in this type of bloat even if they bloat things out in a different way.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Tbh as someone who recently 100%ed SM64 for the first time, I don't know if I'd call 100 star coins padding. A lot of those stages were clearly deliberately designed in a way that made it its own challenge, because the coin placement was finely tuned in a way where they had to have just the right amount of coins to not make the task nearly impossible, while still requiring the player to know the ins and outs of the stages in order to collect all 100 of them. It's not a challenge that's a whole lot like any of the other challenges in the game. The fact that the game boots you out of the stage as soon as you get a non-100 coin star.....sure, that's padding. But the stars themselves aren't, imo.

They're not always very fun though. Hazy Maze Cave, Tiny Huge Island, and Rainbow Road's are all extremely annoying. Probably not something the average player could do, though I feel like most enthusiasts who have been playing games all of their lives could. The same can't be said for Ubisoft open world games or BotW or Crash 4, which are games only designed to be 100%ed by niche fans and 100% diehard completionists.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I have against modern game 100%s are the collectibles. That's never been fun, not even back when GTA3 was doing it (but at least GTA3 gave you decent rewards to finding them).

Yakuza has a shit ton of stuff to do in its 100%, but I love it because I genuinely enjoy learning all the mini games. Less so with say... RDR2 with some of its requirements (again, mainly tied to collectibles) but that never stopped me seeing the ending to the game. So... I just ignored that stuff. Honestly, that's all I do these days. If I don't wanna 100% it I don't. I don't feel compelled to do it, if the game doesnt entice me I don't bother.

Also, I somewhat disagree that older games were more possible to 100%. You have games like Contra 3 or the Ghosts n Goblins series and I see people routinely complain about games like that on here because of how hard they are. And those just require you to finish the game (in GnG's case, twice, but that's not actually hard if you spend an hour or two actually bothering to learn the game).
And as for more modern games with "padding", going back to my Yakuza comment earlier - those games have become vastly easier to both 100% and especially platinum. Back in the day you'd be asked to pull off some pretty tough objectives to get either in Yakuza. Remember the Haruka baseball requirement in 1/1HD? for the PS2/PS3? Where you gotta hit 20 tough homeruns IN A ROW? In Kiwami its made drastically easier, with no requirement actually being difficult to accomplish.
How about those climax missions that are "tough" in Kiwami? Takes a couple of tries usually. In 1(HD), one mission asks you to clear a particularly tough long fight and boss fight taking 0 damage, no checkpoints at all. Good luck clearing that one.

Then you have 2/2HD on the PS2/PS3 which has a completion list that has you need to complete every baseball challenge perfectly. In later games its just get a decided point score, even 3's EX Hard baseball isn't really that hard, is actually quite forgivable really, since there's some margin for error.

And then you have Yakuza 6 and 7 which just outright removes the need to do the completion list. 6 lets you pick and choose while 7 does away with the need to do any of it at all. 6 especially has an insanely short platinum time (and actually, 100%ing the game is pretty quick as well, going by how it took much less time to finish compared to even 3 or 4).

And also for stuff like oldschool Mario? I'd say these days its way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to 100% something like New Super Mario anything, or 3D Land/World. Those games are easy. Like, insultingly easy. In most of the newer Mario games you get maybe 1 stage that's hard, maybe a half dozen if your lucky. The rest I can clear first time with everything without dying.
100%ing Mario 2 (aka Lost Levels) asks you to clear the game 8! times to unlock worlds A-D (on the FDS version, they make it easier on SNES). And to unlock world 9 you gotta make sure you don't use any warps. Also, the FDS version doesnt let you continue from the last stage, but rather the beginning of that world, so worlds 7 and 8 will really test you since clearing some of those stages will probably take a life or three alone. Also, world 9 doesnt let you continue at all. Compared to that, clearing anything in 3D World or New Super Mario Bros U is a pushover.

Oh, and I'd argue Yoshi's Island on the SNES is way harder to 100% than any Yoshi that comes after it. Finding all the collectibles is tough, and making sure you finish with full health (30 stars) while finding everything, especially on a couple of those boss levels can be a challenge.

So no, I don't think newer games are no longer possible to 100%. Less fun? For sure, but not possible? Not a chance, you just need lots of time to waste.

Oct 29, 2017
I get the impression that if achievements had existed in the 90s, then they would have been brutal and based in getting high scores on every level or completing levels on very short time.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something ironic about someone who presumably works in video games claiming to represent average gamers lmfao

Hazz3r

AVALANCHE
Nov 3, 2017
snip

Am I the only one who wish they'd tone down this shit down to be more accessible? The average gamer should be able to 100% complete a game in a reasonable time frame.

No. Because it means that for the people that can only afford 1-2 games a year (especially when it comes to Nintendo consoles) they can get a tonne of mileage out of the game.

When I was a kid, I completed games like Spyro, Super Mario Bros, and Crash Team Racing over and over again because there wasn't actually that much to do. I would kill to have had the amount of stuff there is to do in one game that you have nowadays back when I was a kid.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I've never 100%'ed a game as in getting all trophies/achievements, nor do I care to. These are just meant to derive more longevity out of games for those who need that carrot at the end of the stick and endless checklists to work towards to feel accomplished. I did earn 120 stars in Super Mario 64, but to be honest that's not the same bar as a platinum/achievement. If they were to add achievements into that game it would probably be some BS menial tasks like punch 10,000 goombas, collect every coin on all the levels, etc.

Anyways I'm fine with it. It gives people who are really hooked on the game something to work towards, and for the average player they can sometimes provide interesting statistics and benchmarks to compare yourself to the population at large.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The meaning of what it is to 100% a game has certainly changed, and not for the better.

JRPGs are the best example. It used to mean all sidequests done, ultimate weapons obtained, any post-game or optional bosses completed. Now there's often a bunch of weird shit. For example, Chrono Trigger released today would probably make you see all the endings, Chrono Cross would make you craft every item, Legend of Dragoon would have you hit max level, etc.

That's a great point. Going for what a modern game thinks is "100%" is usually just totally pointless shit, and just not fun.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Your not supposed to go for all the Koroks, in fact the game never tells you how many there are anyway.

There's only so many so it's easier to find so ppl can upgrade their slots.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I think we often conflate a full sense of accomplishment and satisfaction with experiencing all content a game has to offer. It is nice to do that without having to go through grating, long, obtuse and unfun elements, but it's also ok to just avoid such elements. I try to focus on what I want to do first and branch out if I really enjoy playing and existing in the world of the game. A lot of people criticized Mario Odyssey's bloated amount of stars but I had fun just being in that world enough that getting all 999 never felt like there was a single wasted moment.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It just seems like you've cherry picked a bunch of games that you personally find easy to 100%.
I know you mentioned Jak & Daxter, but Jak II was only 2 years later and that's a pain in the ass to 100%, especially if you're being crazy and counting doing it all again on hero mode as part of 100%. Likewise with Mario 64, just a few years later they released Sunshine which is just full of stupid collection nonsense for 240 blue coins.

Then there are games in non platformer genres. Things like RPGs, games with countless unlockables like TimeSplitters and SSBM, etc.
Like speaking of SSBM, it takes 200 matches to unlock Poke Floats, which will take a decent amount of time, but you'll unlock it on your way to getting the 'played 1,000,000 matches' message.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
I mean you can go look at the average achievement percentages for even beating a game these days and most of the time the "average gamer" doesn't even finish a game nevermind going for 100% completion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure others have already said this, perhaps more articulately than I can. My perspective on completing a game is that I've "100%-ed it" when I've completed 100% of the content I want to experience. If the end game/side content isn't interesting, it's not worth playing. Some games lock essential material behind these (e.g., the "true ending") but with YouTube there's nothing stopping me from simply watching a video. I did this with Arkham Knight and Metal Gear Solid V, as I had no real interest in completing some of the more tedious side stuff other than seeing the "true" endings.

Game developers add copy/paste content to games because a lot of people engage with it. I don't want to take that away from those folks. Some people really enjoy tracking down each and every map icon, even if others view it as filler content. My ideal is that game developers don't insert this "padding" into the core experience, i.e., make me track down icons to progress the main story or get to "the good stuff." Keep your "campaign" tight, free of filler, and let me sample that stuff on my own terms, outside of the critical path.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only try to get all the trophies for those games that don't mind putting a lot of time in, but yeah, I do agree that some achivements are kind of crazy. I particularly dislike the ones that make me play online when I couldn't care less about that.

Also, the "average gamer" doesn't even finish his/her games. Check the percentage of players getting the "Beat the Story Mode" thropy for a game and in most cases is below 30%.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I think it's better now that I could actually complete them if I invest the time into it. Back when I was a kid, learning curves of games were hard as nails and the concept of accessibility was foreign.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Uh, I don't think many of those old games are easy to 100%. It took me years before I did everything in Link to the Past, Super Mario World, DKC2, DKC3, Yoshi's Island, and so on (and I never did all the bonuses in DKC1), and that mainly happened for those games only because I owned so few games at the time. And if you go back to the NES era, I almost never got 100% in those games, since I virtually never beat any of them.

Generally, games now are easier, but they have more things for the player to do. I don't think it's harder to meet completion requirements now (I'd say it's often easier, in terms of the skill required of the player), but it's a lot more time consuming. I feel like the implementation of Xbox achievements and Playstation trophies added a bunch of nonsense tasks to games that I don't care to bother with.

Personally, I don't see why doing 100% completion matters all that much. For one, it's hard to define what 100% completion even is for every game (I did basically everything in 2018's Spider-man, but I never played it on the hardest difficulty--does that count as doing everything then? Some would say no, and others would say yes). For another, lots of games now have so much content that I feel like I get my money's worth even if I don't do "everything"; I beat all the levels in Celeste and got all the regular strawberries, but I'm not going to kill my sanity by trying to obtain all the golden strawberries.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I see the problem with games having tons of optional content for people who want to spend a lot of time with them. I don't tend to engage with that stuff, but I get that it is there for the people who want it.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
After spending 120 hrs (how?!) on ac odyssey I can't help but agree. Games today are too bloated, just filled with meaningless stuff just to waste time.

I was just after 100% trophies and somehow wasted over 100 hrs on Odyssey, a game I was mentally done with after 60.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Breath of the Wild isn't really a game you're meant to 100%, that's why there are 900 korok seeds and why anyone ridicuous enough to get them all gets rewarded with a golden piece of shit.

Breath of the Wild's approach to its open world is fantastic. It's filled to the brim with things to reward exploring almost anything that catches your eye. That it has so much is a positive because doing everything stops being the focus. Exploration becomes the focus. Activities and secrets are no longer a checklist, they're things to do on your own personal adventure where you feel like you're carving out your own unique route.

Breath of the Wild is a buffet. You don't go to a buffet to eat fucking everything there. You have whatever catches your eye until you're satisfied and then go home and kill Ganon.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The average gamer never did that shit and doesn't care about this at all either.

Like, why would you argue less content is more accessible, just so you can see a shiny number next to your save file. Do you really not understand how absurd that sounds? Stop using the language of real needs in order to justify your frustrations with not getting a gold star.

Just get some fucking self control already guys.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also feel like a lot of old games were absurdly hard to 100% without guides because they often had secret content with absurdly obscure requirements that you needed to fulfill to access as a way to sell strategy guides. This stuff does still happen occasionally now, but the internet has kind of disincentivized the practice since people can just look stuff up online easily now

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I rarely bothered to 100% older games and I do it even less now. You aren't meant to squeeze ever drop of blood from the stone or crush the coal into a diamond. You just play the game and see whatever stuff from whatever catches your eye.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Most "average" people don't even finish games period. So I'm not even sure what you're going on about.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'd rather have too much content than too little. If you don't want to 100% a game then just don't and move onto the next one.

I've completed a few games 100% because I enjoyed them and wanted to do multiple playthroughs and put in the effort. This is the minority of games I play, most I beat and move onto the next one.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Come on now. I think you don't remember how relatively short the games I listed were. Completing Zelda Link to the Past 100% with all heart containers and upgrades takes me a day at most. My BoTW save has 100+ hours and I'm at around 300-ish Koroks? It's not even close.
Agree, the games were just not as large back then. That's why it's fun to 100% more indie games nowadays. It's not too recent but a game like Mark of the Ninja comes to mind. That had a classic Nintendo and/or 16-bit feel for 100%, to me.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad trophies or achievements never became a big thing for me I don't really tend to care what percentage I've gotten as long as I've beaten the game. Bloat doesn't really bug me either because almost none of it is usually required to beat the game, but it's there in the event that the game clicks with me and makes me want to go after the side activities.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking to a friend about this and all the fluff and challenges and stuff that is added to games and he made a good point... a lot of people only buy two or three games and play them for 100+ hours at a time....

I play probably 30 games a year and so I prefer games that cut out all that stuff.

If you look at trophy percentages though, this is completely incorrect. They might just buy a few games but most people don't even reach the regular end of single-player games.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah I agree. I hate that achievements and trophies were invented because it feels like they hijacked a previously implicitly motivated behaviour (earning 100%) to an explicit one (satisfying the platinum), while simultaneously the devs make it as boring as possible to accomplish the latter.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The whole point of 900 Korok seeds is that BOTW is not played the same by all players and having all those seeds ensures that all players have their own sense of wonder and discovery while playing the game. Most people don't finish video games period. The objective of these games is not to make 100% completion fun, the objective is to be fun and thrilling for players while they are putting time into the game.

I will say that I watched a video for Crash 4 about 100% and it is just dumb padding. The amount of replaying the exact same stage and dumb box placement is really excessive.