Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imo its score and gameplay alone elevate it above mediocre, though route A can be at times repetitive and route B...
Much moreso.
As a whole though, loved it.

OP
OP
Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the same boat as OP and honestly resent this idea that in order to 'get to the good stuff' you need to play through the game twice (Routes A and B). That to me is not the sign of a good game. Certainly more of a time sink than I was willing to put in.
It's very strange game design. If your idea of interesting is for people to play through your game three times to see why it's such a great game, then something is fundamentally flawed with your design principles.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's very strange game design. If your idea of interesting is for people to play through your game three times to see why it's such a great game, then something is fundamentally flawed with your design principles.

Precisely. The game should be enjoyable from the jump and people should replay it because they WANT TO, rather than because you didn't actually give it any satisfying content or a meaningful conclusion the first time through.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
www.resetera.com

Nier Automata is kinda boring LTTP

This game was on my radar for so long and I finally bought it after a good sale on steam. I have selected very carefully which games I buy because of the economic problems present in Brazil. This disappointment has even greater weight because I had saved money for this game. Well, 6 hours later...

Bi monthly 'post here if you disliked automata' gathering thread

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We had this thread like a month ago I think and yeah, I didn't think it was as great as people were making it out to be.

Going through Route B was such a chore and straight up a waste of time IMO. Payoff at the end was OK. Honestly though it was way too anime for me in terms of writing and voice acting; and the character designs were pretty cringy.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I didn't dig it either. For whatever reason, it just didn't click with me as much as with the majority of others. I thought it was just an ok game.

Nov 1, 2017
The part where it makes you play through the same content as 9S is an absolute joke. Yoko Taro is straight trolling us by making us do that shit

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
We had this thread like a month ago I think and yeah, I didn't think it was as great as people were making it out to be.

Going through Route B was such a chore and straight up a waste of time IMO. Payoff at the end was OK. Honestly though it was way too anime for me in terms of writing and voice acting; and the character designs were pretty cringy.
We had this thread days ago.

www.resetera.com

This game was on my radar for so long and I finally bought it after a good sale on steam. I have selected very carefully which games I buy because of the economic problems present in Brazil. This disappointment has even greater weight because I had saved money for this game. Well, 6 hours later...

javac

Oct 28, 2017
people who complain about route b "being the same thing again" are straight up stupid.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The character design was so off-putting to me for the longest time until I caved and gave it a shot. Ended up really liking it!

I really liked the gameplay loop though, so didn't mind playing through the repetitive parts.

But if you don't find the universe intriguing, the game is not for you. And that's okay - I won't ever end up liking an Assassin's Creed, no matter how good it is for example.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Agreed. It's an absolutely absurd requirement that people place on the game.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
If you can get through to route C and beyond, you might find the overall experience worthwhile.

Yeah, after Route A and during Route B my friend kept messaging me troll messages about how average the game was. When he got the "true" ending he basically told everyone that I was right and that it was one of the best games in the last generation.

I think it hits on some philosophical points that will carry more weight to some then others, has an incredible sound track, has combat that is just okay, but that will bother some people more than others and in general has a vibe that's not for everyone. It also does a lot of cool tricks that you don't see done in gaming much or at all, so people's mileage will vary with that as well.

Can definitely see some people not understanding the hype, but when it hits, it HITS.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
www.resetera.com

Bi monthly 'post here if you disliked automata' gathering thread
Yup.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Hmm, that's not really what's going on though, and you're not replaying the game three times. It's about recontextualizing things you knew in earlier routes with information gotten from later ones.

Route C is completely new stuff. Route B retreads A from a different point of view, so there's lots of new stuff sprinkled throughout.

Route C also wont magically make you like the games and characters if you weren't at least somewhat into it before imo. It provides a lot of nuance to the characters that players may have missed through the first couple of routes, but I assume you need some kind of attachment for it to matter to you.

Kind of similar to Replicant, where I don't feel like the recontextualizing given in route B will make you care if you didn't care in route A.

Last edited:

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
I agree with the OP. The plot was serviceable amd there wasn't much wrong with everything else but the real star of the show was Automata's OST.

As a whole Nier Automata was good and interesting enough for me to want to play Replicant.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Had to wait 6 months before I could muster the endurance to slog through Route B to get to Route C, but I saw all of the core endings and thought it was solid overall. It definitely didn't strike me as this life altering experience or one of the greatest video game stories ever told or anything.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Same. I find anime games are almost always overhyped though, and are generally very bloated with a lot of repetition and grind. I think if you're not into anime it's very likely to do next to nothing for you. The soundtrack is definitely the standout positive.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Elaborate? That's all I've ever heard: that the height of the game is stuff that happens in/after Route C.
Honestly, just watch the moments on YouTube. I avoided doing so for a very long time hoping that I would eventually love this game at a future date and have the transcendent moment, but I'm very happy with my decision to just spoil the whole thing and uninstall the game.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I finished it... earlier this year or late last year, idk all time blends together now. I wasn't impressed with it on my base PS4, but I gave it another shot on my XboneX on Gamepass and finally finished it, it definitely has some meh moments but the highs are really high. Route B I did not care much for bug slogged through it. Route C was good but only a few things from it for me were super memorable.

Overall good game, and I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea. One day I'll play Replicant.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
your perception of the game might change as you advance through it. You've just touched the surface when it comes to this specific title.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Agreed. It's an absolutely absurd requirement that people place on the game.

I understand the sentiment, and I think in many cases that's true with a bunch of stuff, TV shows, anime, games etc, however somethings require A LOT of context and investment.

I've come across TV shows and movies I didn't care for until about the halfway point and then I was in love. From my personal experience, the best things in life, including entertainment, typically take investment. You can find a lot of people in any field get salty when something requires investment, but that's just life. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Honestly, just watch the moments on YouTube. I avoided doing so for a very long time hoping that I would eventually love this game at a future date and have the transcendent moment, but I'm very happy with my decision to just spoil the whole thing and uninstall the game.

So many people have FOMO about stuff, if it's not for you, it's not for you and that's OKAY. Glad you got something from the YouTube videos, but playing through the game absolutely makes a difference. I can't even watch the credit scene play out in the "true ending" without getting teary eyed and reading experiences online, that's true for a lot of people that actually "played" through it. Don't allow your lack of willingness to invest, downplay the experience of others.

For some people the game really hits hard.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying "repeating content" isn't a thing you can't disapprove of, but I think a lot of those reads on the NieR games' repeating of content ignores what it means to the story. Not just in a "the story is good so shut up" way but that the story needed to be meted out this way to get its point across, especially in regards to NieR Replicant's engaging in this.

Which, again, fair. It's a hard sell and it's something that's only going to work for you if you care enough about the game that going through old stuff with a newly equipped comb is a good time. That's me, and I'm a lunatic, ergo I could do this shit all day.

Elaborate? That's all I've ever heard: that the height of the game is stuff that happens in/after Route C.
NieR Automata's Route C is all new content.

Route B is the one where you go through a truncated Route A as 9S.

Last edited:

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
You arennot alone. Finished it once and never went back to get the other endings.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Not a terrible game (I've played far worse), just a very, very mediocre one considering all I had been told about it before I actually started it.

To be clear, I'm just about to start Route B. Currently closing on to 25hrs of playtime. I'm being very thorough, and I do intent to play through Route C. But so far, I can't say I've been impressed by much of anything this game has offered to me. The only thing I really like about it so far is the soundtrack. Seriously great stuff there. But there's nothing else that's managed to grab me. Gameplay is nothing special. Graphics already feel dated. Dialogue and characters are just meh. Most side quests I've played take me straight back to DA: Inquisition; they're little more than fetch quests that I'm not sure the game would have lost anything without.

I also don't get why the game has so many 'troll' endings? That was funny the first couple times but unless I'm missing the point, it doesn't seem to add anything of value to the experience.

Again, the music and some of the main story stuff has been great so far, but literally everything else is just straight-up average. I'm trying to crawl through it to Route C, but it's only because I genuinely want to give it a chance rather than drop it. (I'm also playing it fully in Japanese and taking that as a chance to supplement my studying of the language, which I've been doing for a while.)
If you think the characters and dialogue are "meh" then your eyes and ears are literally painted on. A lot of the side quests have great writing. How anyone could not find the quests such as the resistance ship trader to be anything other than profound and thought provoking is baffling. There's a reason why it's sitting at 91% on metacritic and it most certainly isn't because it's "aggressively mediocre".

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why people might not like it because of deliberate design decisions that fuck with the player, but it gets annoying how EVERY one of these threads just ends up with people saying that the game is utter garbage and an example of bad game design.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
25 hours on Route A?
I believe an average play is around 8 hours for that.
I think the game is distracting you with the open-world presentation. I don't think it plays well as an open-world game until Route C, if ever.

It sounds like this isn't your kind of game, and that's fine.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Not a terrible game (I've played far worse), just a very, very mediocre one considering all I had been told about it before I actually started it.

To be clear, I'm just about to start Route B. Currently closing on to 25hrs of playtime.

For one thing, what on earth took 25 hours? When I started Route B, it was 7-9 hours.

One of my favorite games ever. I want to hug whoever it was on the forums that recommended it to me.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I understand the sentiment, and I think in many cases that's true with a bunch of stuff, TV shows, anime, games etc, however somethings require A LOT of context and investment.

I've come across TV shows and movies I didn't care for until about the halfway point and then I was in love. From my personal experience, the best things in life, including entertainment, typically take investment. You can find a lot of people in any field get salty when something requires investment, but that's just life. 🤷🏽‍♂️
lol yeah that must be it. The time investment. Come on, Nier isn't a special case. I've invested time into hundreds of other pieces of entertainment that kept me somewhat interested along the way.

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
After hearing all the praise I was left baffled, what's good about this game except the music ? For me it's even worse than mediocre and downright terrible at times. I finished every ending (because people kept saying it was going to be better...) and I'm never playing a game from Yoko Taro ever again. It was painfully boring and uninspired.

And I went in open minded since it tics all the boxes for me.

OP
OP
Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
To everyone commenting on the 25hrs thing, that's just the timestamp in the game. I've left the game idle several times and it may have counted that time. I've also done more open world exploration than I probably should have. Most of it really wasn't necessary in retrospect.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Replicant got even bigger issues with having to repeat content to see the full ending.

I know its a Yoko Taro quirk, but frankly im over it. And I love both Nier games.

For real people in here talking about NieR: Automata's B route when Replicant's C and E routes are a faar more egregious repeated content issue.

Though, it's likely different sets of people.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata is not an open world game. I know that Square stupidly branded it as such to make it sound more modern and impressive, but it's about as "open world" as a pre-BOTW 3D Zelda or a PS2 JRPG with a big overworld map, and that's exactly the kind of world design it's going for.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like it, then fair enough. But I was kinda underwhelmed by route A (it was good, but kinda generic story-wise) and ended up loving the rest.

People shit on route B, but at least for me the "you're playing the same part of the game twice" feel quickly disappeared because of just how much more is happening from 9S' perspective and how a lot of things that were front and center in route A and pushed to the side in favor of more interesting stuff.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Game is mediocre.
No matter how much I've enjoyed the soundtrack, its game design is deeply flawed. Boring and repetitive content.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the same thing, but I decided not to hold any ill will toward it. Yoko Taro was always incredible modest about what this game was. It was the fans that overhyped it it to me.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
For one thing, what on earth took 25 hours? When I started Route B, it was 7-9 hours.

One of my favorite games ever. I want to hug whoever it was on the forums that recommended it to me.

yep, every one of these threads has people talking about how they're 30 hours in before Route B and I get so confused. I was trying to do everything because I was enjoying the game and I was in Route B way before that.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Maybe it'll become my kinda game the fifth or sixth time I hear the "not for you" argument. That's when it'll open up haha who knows

It's not really an argument tho….

In my experience, if I don't like something others like, I'm fine with that and don't need them to justify anything. LOL

I think the stuff that makes Nier so "powerful," is a bunch of stuff that is basically "YMMV," for example, the world was fascinating to me, the music was amazing to me, the combat was perfectly fine for me, the animations were god like, the movement options were great, the way every component of the game was tied to something in the world, such as the chips that managed your UI and saving only at the terminals, the 4th wall breaking moments, the chip tune versions for every song, the character designs, etc,

This stuff tied together in a super neat bow, like holy shit, but if non of the stuff means much to you personally, then yeah, doesn't work. Lol

I just think it's funny that some people want to like what everyone else does, "for the culture," but if they don't, they have to down play the experience of others. Automata was a god damn amazing game that I legit think about probably AT LEAST once a week since I completed it like 2-3 years ago?

i basically determine the value of games by how often I think about them post-completion, and Automata is like #1. 😅🤷🏽‍♂️

Haters gonna hate, especially on popular and critically acclaimed things, I get that, but LOL at the same time because something requires you to spend time with it like it's a bad thing.