Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
They probably get many ideas about games daily.
Unless you make the game yourself, they don't care

Oct 29, 2017
Give me a sec gotta make a call to Curt Schilling first

Curt Schilling is really the archetypal idea guy. No experience, no skill, just the ability to throw millions of dollars at his ideas. And even then, his actual MMO idea never did get made, and the whole fiasco only accidentally resulted in a great single player game as a compromise.

So anyway, the advice to OP is earn millions of dollars in an unrelated field and use that to bankroll your idea.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
My understanding is that any smart company won't solicit ideas from the public so as to protect them from legal ramifications. So basically, sorry bro but no

Ctalkeb

Apr 12, 2020
If only I had talent, skill, charm, wit and knowledge of game production, I would be making that Das Kapital game myself.

Seriously though? Either write a book or start making stuff in some kind of game engine.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Ideas are worthless without execution.

Make a proof of concept and pitch it. If that's too complicated, start with modest ideas gradually increasing in scope while building a track record of good budget and team management over 20 years or so, and then pitching it will be easy.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've got this idea for a game and the idea is that it's every genre you can just do anything you want and the mechanics for every genre are just perfect the world is as big as the real world and woah now I'm thinking maybe you put the whole galaxy or even the universe in LOL??? no I'm just kidding I know ps5 won't be able to handle that so just the milky way and I want people to be able to make their own guns and vehicles and for the npcs to realistically react to anything you say or do in the game so it's sort of real life but even better because theres a money cheat and you can do anything.

I would like £50m for this idea please.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be nice, and give you a genuine reply:

That doesn't sound very good.

There's this misconception gamers have that more is always better, but a combination of action, RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS just does not sound fun.

Everyone
seems to have the idea, when they're young, of what I call "the Everything Game." It sounds awesome. But it's just not an idea that lends itself well to a good gameplay loop. It's too broad and it's virtually impossible to execute all those components equally well — and even if you do, not everyone is going to like all those genres.

Do you want to know what kind of ideas I actually value, the kind I wish I thought up myself? Stuff like Untitled Goose Game. It's easy to see the appeal and the reason why Panic (the publisher) actually reached out to the House House (the developer) to offer to publish it, which is something that almost never happens. Those are the kinds of ideas you should try to have, creatively. Baba is You is another one. You hear that pitch — a puzzle game where the rules of the game world are manifested physically in the environment and are able to be interacted with to solve puzzles — and it's just like, whoa. Those are the kinds of ideas both players and publishers actually want, not weird unfocused Everything Games. And, not coincidentally, they're actually ideas you can build a demo of as a solo dev or small team.

I'm not saying that to discourage you. If you have a passion to make games, go for it. If you just have a passion for this specific idea, well...lots of people have passion for this specific idea, when they aren't very familiar with what makes games actually fun to play.

This is one of the best advice in regards to any creative craft. Focus on creating the best ideas within your current means. Some of the best art comes about when you have to figure out how to be creative within a set of limitations. Instead of thinking about this massive game that you need an army of people for, why not come up with a small game that revolves around an engaging experience within the confines of a small apartment..BOOM! Now have Gone Home. Go even smaller and now you have PT. A seemingly mundane workday at an office with a quirky narrator, Stanley Parable. These are the type of scopes where "idea people" can actually shine because they can execute and deliver.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It is either a drink post, a joke post, of a child Christmas letter written too early.
What was that?!

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The game in my head is a semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings.

This "Game will be 5 genres at the same time and that amount of possibilities with Dark Souls something" part of the OP makes it kinda obvious it's a joke tbh : p

Not exactly sure, but i would give a 70/30 chance it is.

Last edited:

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you want Sony or Microsoft to own the IP? Build it yourself. Create your own future.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand OP is being fucking dog-piled but.

For the record, I had a game idea in 2008 after playing Puzzle Quest: combine an RPG and Dance Dance Revolution.

So I made it and it sold pretty well.

End of story.
Making a game and pitching a game concept to AAA studios are entirely different topics. OP should definitely try making a game if they have an interest.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Video games are 5% ideas and 95% execution. You will never be heard because every studio is filled with developers with ideas. Unless you create something yourself inspiring enough to recruit talent and capital, any idea a civilian has will always remain a dream.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
So, during quarantine, I've been thinking of an idea for my own AAA game based on a specific existing IP.

Start writing design documentation for it. Paper design the systems in it. Define the target audience. Find and nail down the tone and the style. Establish the core pillars. Do that in like, I dunno, 100 A4 pages in Word. Then get feedback on that and iterate upon it. Repeat that several times with different people.

And maaaybe then you may be on to an idea.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just here so that I can brag a few years from now that I posted in the thread where it all began for the new Kojima.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
The game in my head is a semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings.

I don't want to be mean but reading the OP it sounds like your idea is basically "make a good game". Unfortunately, every game is developed with the aim of making a good game, even the really rubbish ones.

(also how can it be both FPS and TPS?)

Deleted member 66543

User requested account closure
Apr 20, 2020
Its easy to come up with "massive and complex" ideas. The challenge is actually scoping it and operating within said scope.

If it so "complex" that you think it wouldn't work for this new generation of hardware then tbh you very obviously haven't thought or worked very hard on this idea yet.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Start learning Unreal Engine, build a prototype, and start talking to devs. Its a 1 in a billion shot but you can't just walk in with a notepad and expect to get anyone's attention. Good luck OP

Nov 4, 2017
I wish I'd written down more of the wacky ideas I'd had while on drugs. Always makes for a chuckle later.

This reminds me of the posts you'd get from teenagers on oDesk 15 years ago. "I have this idea for the best MMO that will generate $100m revenue a month within a year. Can't give any details or pay upfront but will give a 1% stake to anybody who signs on. Need 20 coders with 10+ years experience, 15 artists with a decent portfolio" etc.

Seriously though OP, as others said ideas are a dime a dozen. Get some design documentation together, maybe get some proof of concepts together.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Since many others have already explained why this has a 0% chance of coming to fruition, what's the IP, OP

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
shoot an email to a big designer and hope to the lord that he reads it.
and then hope to the lord that he considers it.
and then hope one more time that he actually takes it to heart in any capacity.

it could work

similar to how you could win the powerball lottery

Last edited:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The game in my head is a semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings. The starting point will be the same, but the players' choices will completely change the course and the ways of play and storyline, as well as the different kinds of places and the ending can be reached. In other words, in one big frame of the world and storyline, players can create a lot of possibilities by choices, and those choices will affect the whole game, gradually narrow down the experiences and ending. There will also be bad endings and a true ending. The scale of the game I'm thinking of is so massive and complex that I wondered if even the next-generation technologies could realize my idea, but that UE5 demo gave me confidence.
5UxRDNrjPw550eilIVpvtuk3jRE=.gif

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
There are a million ideas for a game. Only a few get decided in the conference room based on what is achievable and what the game's shell and mechanics will look like then developed as a big team from there piece by piece. You need to get in the conference room... Not just write something.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I remember over 20 years ago I wanted a space exploration game that catered specifically to me.
That's kind of common - evolution of game programmers can be described roughly like:
Stage 1: Write your own string class
Stage 2: Write your own math library
Stage 3: (attempt to)Write a procedural Space engine/simulator (with the notion of building the biggest/baddest space game ever)

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be careful with sharing ideas. One time I was playing PSX with a bunch of friends and I told how great it would be to play a PSX with more power and better graphics. A few years later Sony announced PS2. I still dont know which friend gave Sony my idea.
you are a genius, just too ahead of your time.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
They should really give a making an open world game with stealth a shot. Maybe add in some skill trees too.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Should be timestamped for the relevant part but the gist of it is "idea guy" isn't a job in the industry and ideas aren't actually very valuable. If you want someone to take your game concept seriously you need to have a marketable skill that can help realize your idea, as well as the means to actually make that concept a reality. If you want to know some skills that can get you into the games industry the video goes over that a bit, but it's unlikely that you'd have full creative control over something that wasn't a passion project you can do yourself.

damn it's like that video was made exactly for this op, it kinda makes me sad how invested you are in this and think it's really something cause it's not just that an idea is meaningless, it's that there is not even a original idea in your op your idea is literally just a mashup of everything you already like in games x100 with an IP on top. There is literally nothing there I haven't heard before or anything that sounds fresh when we're just talking ideas which again doesn't even mean anything when it's an actual original good idea.

Last edited:

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
So, during quarantine, I've been thinking of an idea for my own AAA game based on a specific existing IP. It's just floating in my head and getting more and more detailed day by day. I've come up with the basic structure for the story and some gameplay mechanics.

The game in my head is a semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings. The starting point will be the same, but the players' choices will completely change the course and the ways of play and storyline, as well as the different kinds of places and the ending can be reached. In other words, in one big frame of the world and storyline, players can create a lot of possibilities by choices, and those choices will affect the whole game, gradually narrow down the experiences and ending. There will also be bad endings and a true ending. The scale of the game I'm thinking of is so massive and complex that I wondered if even the next-generation technologies could realize my idea, but that UE5 demo gave me confidence.

Regarding the IP I want to use for this game: since it already has the original owner, the process for obtaining the license could be complicated. But if you can bring it to console gaming, I'm sure it will be as popular as Halo or Spider-Man and bring surprises and delight to many hardcore gamers. This IP already has proven its popularity around the world, even many of you may have already known or heard about it, at least vaguely. I'm really surprised by the fact that this IP has never been made into a console game before. I genuinely believe that it has the potential to become the next generation Star Wars or Lord of the Rings if handled properly.

Now, this idea began to haunt me, making me impatient about how this could become a reality. I already sent emails or contacted via Twitter or even visited the HQ of the company branch but everything was a useless effort. Of course, simply joining a game studio, delivering my idea, and getting approval from the executives would be the most reasonable way, but the problem is that I don't have any proper degree or career to get a job at the high-level video game maker.

I know it would be a delusion that those big companies would only listen to one amateur and create a multi-million dollar game. And even if my idea is accepted, it would also difficult to actually start developing it because all of the studios will be very busy carrying out the current work and planning the next work. However, whether it takes three or five years, or is rejected at all, I would like to give it a try, because I'm that confident in my idea. So, please, help me to contact with someone who can evaluate my ideas and make decisions. Thanks for reading!
Everybody is laughing at you but I know a way to do it! But you gotta put in some work though, everyone has ideas about their ideal AAA game, I have a few great ideas my own that I think will be the ultimate in their genre.

You need art design and a proof of concept video first, you can just source existing material from games/movies and put a video together if you don't have budget. Iirc when movie ideas are pitched to studio execs they are done with existing material to convey a general idea.

Then you approach some industry legends who haven't done games a while and ask them to be on board. Launch a Kickstarter with big hype "ITAGAKI OPEN WORLD RPG SOULS LIKE" which is gonna fail, but now you got everyone's attention so start approaching the big guys to finance your project. In 5 years you'll bump this thread and serve Era crow.

Should be timestamped for the relevant part but the gist of it is "idea guy" isn't a job in the industry and ideas aren't actually very valuable. If you want someone to take your game concept seriously you need to have a marketable skill that can help realize your idea, as well as the means to actually make that concept a reality. If you want to know some skills that can get you into the games industry the video goes over that a bit, but it's unlikely that you'd have full creative control over something that wasn't a passion project you can do yourself.

You need to think outside the box, Steve Jobs couldn't code yet founded Apple and launched so many products. Or think about the founder of Oculus Rift, snooping around forums, asking for things and then launched a Kickstarter, All OP needs to be is to be a good sales man.

Last edited:

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
You literally don't. They (legally) don't want to hear it. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Nobody hires someone in this industry for an idea. You have to bring some demonstrable skill in developing games to the table.

I already sent emails or contacted via Twitter or even visited the HQ of the company branch but everything was a useless effort. Of course, simply joining a game studio, delivering my idea, and getting approval from the executives would be the most reasonable way, but the problem is that I don't have any proper degree or career to get a job at the high-level video game maker.

I know it would be a delusion that those big companies would only listen to one amateur and create a multi-million dollar game. And even if my idea is accepted, it would also difficult to actually start developing it because all of the studios will be very busy carrying out the current work and planning the next work. However, whether it takes three or five years, or is rejected at all, I would like to give it a try, because I'm that confident in my idea. So, please, help me to contact with someone who can evaluate my ideas and make decisions.

Oh boy. Sigh. Don't do any of this.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You guys are fucking brutal, lol.

OP, just keep @'ng companies on Twitter with your story. Someone is bound to bite.

JD64

Aug 5, 2019
Melbourne, Australia.
Man, nothing drives me more crazy than ideaguys. Especially when the idea requires a 100 million dollar budget and probably 5+ years of development (probably closer to 10 given it's like 12 different genres)

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
They might listen to you if you have $100 million dollars.

Not being snide or anything - that's kind of how things work, at least on the AAA side.

Or you just fill out a survey form and tell them about your idea.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ideas are everywhere in every industry.

But then what about your budget planning? If it's an existing IP, what's your plan for the licensing and its cost? How is the actual designing going to happen? Is there a structured roadmap? What's the competitive value of your game? What are your resource limitation? Would you have the know-how? Did you focus test your target consumer for viability? What are your competitors doing? What's the marketing roll-out? Do you have a plan for continuous consumer engagement and revenue generation? And ultimately, can you make a profit after all this? Because if you don't have answers to any of these, there are hundreds of other ideas I can look to that can give me the answers I want. And people look to their own for ideas before even thinking about outsiders. I have seen good ideas from the top pan out terribly because of mismanagement and terrible planning, because no one thought to question these things thoroughly enough, and there wasn't a clear plan other than "this is a good idea and will make money".

I think before thinking about ideas, like the others mention, you need to learn about the industry and the implementation. And I think you also should learn a bit on what it takes for a business to design, build, and launch such a complex product.