• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
oh it's pronounced killian?
had no idea
any romans in here can testify if what they're speaking really is gypsy?

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I am ignorant. I was saying it with the 's" sound, like I say the Celtics in america. the "selltics".

Sorry scarecrow, I have been doing you wrong.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's Cedric the entertainer, not Kedric.
Why not? Plenty of 'ci' words have an 's' sound.
Because a lot of words that start with C in English have an s sound.

Edit: beat twice. I'll cede to you, but don't celebrate. I won't give you one cent.
ceiling? civil? circle? cipher?

idk if this is just a running gag or something? But why would y'all go the nonsensical route and make THAT connection when "Kilian/Killian/Cillian" is an actual name and we have "Krillin" (which my brain always goes to w/ Cillian Murphy's name, for some reason even as far back as 28days)? That's just so funny, to me. lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
If this thread is spreading awareness of Peaky Blinders, so fooking be it. Best gangster show on Netflix. Don't be put off by the cartoony name.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
idk if this is just a running gag or something? But why would y'all go the nonsensical route and make THAT connection when "Kilian/Killian/Cillian" is an actual name and we have "Krillin" (which my brain always goes to w/ Cillian Murphy's name, for some reason even as far back as 28days)? That's just so funny, to me. lol

An argument cynically circumscript yet certainly circular as a centuries-old cyst in Cincinnati.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Krillin doesn't start with C lol. and neither does Killian

Oct 27, 2017
If it was pronounced with a hard C his name would be Killian Murphy, idc what his creator intended god damnit.

relevantmeme.jif

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
People tend to forget that the same letters don't get pronounced the same way in all languages and Irish names REALLY throw people off.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Thought it was that way too for a long time...

On a similar note, for the longest time I though Idris Elba was pronounced like Eye-dris Elba.

My excuse is that I'm not a native English speaker.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I used to pronounce it "Sillian" too (after having seen him in 28 Days Later and Batman Begins) until I saw a commercial for Red Eye and the voice-over guy pronounced it "Killian".

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
No ones joking here, Jo-quinn..... Phoenix
15145.jpg

I know it's pronounced Joaquin.
Wakeen

Damn had to look that one up again lmao

Sur-sha. Yea ok.
Irish stuff baffles me most of the time. Saoirse is "Sher-sha"? How do you even figure that out?

That's how Saoirse Ronan pronounces it, but wouldn't be the most common Irish pronunciation of it from my experience. The most common would be "Seer-sha", or "Say-or-sha". Different dialects in different regions, and all that.

Saoirse Ronan has done a disservice to other Saoirses by implying hers is the correct and only pronunciation. And in my part of the country, we slag her off for it mercilessly.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I always knew it's pronounced "Kellian", but still always kept on saying "Sillian" as well. Will probably continue doing so. How silly of me

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Irish is crazy old when it comes to orthography. For example, we've been saying Caitlin wrong in the US forever (it should be "catch-leen"). A name like Aoibheann ("ee-veen") would be hell to have outside of Ireland.

Oct 27, 2017
lol even Irish people have problems with pronouncing Irish names sometimes. There is also many ways of spelling the same name: Sadhbh, Saibh, Sadbh, Sadhb, Sive. Same with Tadhg ( Tadgh,Tadg).

My kid is l;earning Irish at the moment, thank god my wife has decent Irish and can help her. I've only a smattering of words.

Irish is crazy old when it comes to orthography. For example, we've been saying Caitlin wrong in the US forever (it should be "catch-leen"). A name like Aoibheann ("ee-veen") would be hell to have outside of Ireland.

Just dont say St Pattys day and we're cool.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I did the same when first reading The Lord of the Rings many moons ago with the names Celeborn, Cirdan and Celebrimbor.

As for Cillian, he should be cast as Sauron in Amazon's LOTR TV show.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
About 2.50 into the video. A lot of Irish name pronunciations seem impossible without someone telling you how to do it beforehand

edit.
"Siobhan" was one I said wrongly in my teen years. Also been saying "cillian" wrong as well up until a couple years ago

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Wait till you discover Icelandic names, it's like reading Edda that's still being written in the new millenia.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I did the same when first reading The Lord of the Rings many moons ago with the names Celeborn, Cirdan and Celebrimbor.

As for Cillian, he should be cast as Sauron in Amazon's LOTR TV show.

He would actually be a great choice for that, there's something about his look that can be a bit creepy and unsettling, and he's a great actor with the range to pull it off.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hope no one called Aoife gets very famous... US will then fall apart

eee-FAA btw