• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I was just thinking how I haven't truly read a review in over good lord like 20 years or something.
The last time I read a review all the way through was for Twisted Metal by the glorious Sushi X.

I think one of the reasons I never get invested in the reviews for any game is I look at the first page of any OT and a couple of the quotes below the Meta and that is about as far as I go.
Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

BRING BACK SUSHI!
GoifZ6p.jpg

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently, according to EGM Live podcast back in the day, Sushi X was not a single person but rather a "whoever can be Sushi X this month" kind of thing. Really broke me.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
All I know is any game Crispin Boyer (I think that's the name) liked, I liked.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Yeah, not exactly the same case, but I haven't read a review since God knows when, probably 2008 or so, when I stopped buying videogame magazines. Since then I just read peoples thoughts in forums or watch some gameplay online

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I miss old rating systems. It took me forever to get past the GamePro system.

DD4y60eE3s52OPNgsvnB1Y6_Kc7HwpLT-uMNmcXPmXk.jpg

Sushi X was everyone an no one as far as I know.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Yup I haven't read/watched a full review since the GameTrailer days. I just watch no-commentary gameplay vids to get a feel for if I would like a game or not.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently, according to EGM Live podcast back in the day, Sushi X was not a single person but rather a "whoever can be Sushi X this month" kind of thing. Really broke me.

Player One Podcast reconfirmed this as well(old EGM-vets of that era). They have many stories on the subject over the years.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
See I find metascores and jacket quotes basically useless. Without context it means nothing to me. I don't read a ton of reviews, I usually just play a game if it looks neat and don't if it doesn't, but when I do read reviews there's a handful of review sites and specific people I like hearing form. I find that I tend to agree with them a lot and what makes or breaks a game for them often makes or breaks a game for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Yeah I couldn't tell you the last time I read a review, I do look at the score threads we have just to see an overall but it's more out of intrigue than anything.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Lol I remember hearing that! I think I pulled a Memento and wrote "DON'T BELIEVE HIS LIES"

A real hero of mine growing up.

You can keep this shit to yourself!

Oshan you are now my best friend. Fair warning I have stalker tendencies.

RetroGameGuy

Jun 11, 2020
Video killed the game review in my opinion. I can watch a few clips if I'm on the fence and decide for myself if I want to buy a game or wait.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I was more of a GamePro back then with it's rating guy.

q6qtsc8nhonz.png

This was the review scores they gave for Chrono Trigger SNES.

SOaIa_d.webp

I love how straight & sensible they gave each sections for a game; Graphics, Sound/Music, Control, FunFactor/Gameplay, and Challenge.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
When I found out he wasn't real, that broke my heart. I was at an event and asked one of the EGM guys who he was, because I was still a star struck youngin', and I got stabbed in the heart.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I miss old rating systems. It took me forever to get past the GamePro system.

DD4y60eE3s52OPNgsvnB1Y6_Kc7HwpLT-uMNmcXPmXk.jpg

Sushi X was everyone an no one as far as I know.

Ahh the days of the likes of Dan Electro. I do miss GamePro's styling these days. It was a lot of fun whereas a lot of websites and gaming media are so self serious these days. I get things change over time but I really do like the sites that take things a little less seriously with things like reviews.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else remember SeanBaby? I don't know why I remember that dude's name. I'm not even sure if I liked his reviews

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Sushi X was initially a dude (LATE EDIT - it was Ken Williams initially). He was Sushi X for years until he left and then a few people filled in the gaps writing in his voice (hating Game Boy, loving fighting games).

Then it was an amalgamation of whomever whenever.

Quartermann (Q-man) wasn't anyone. It was a collection of rumors or stuff editors saw when they went on developer visits or just speculation or just completely made up bullshit (that occasionally came true). One person would collect stuff from everyone on the staff each month and write it up. They'd then fill up the empty space with LIES hahahaha.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I definitely gloss over almost any full review or previews (or just entirely ignore written previews) for most games, especially if I already know whether I'm excited about it or not.

But I will still read a full-on review here and there for a game I'm really excited about or especially for a game I worked on.

I definitely veer more towards videos these days though. Trailers and hands-on gameplay and sometimes impressions. The odd video review.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sushi X was the friends we made along the way
or the random editors and friends who walked into EGM

anyone remember CGA graphics?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Sushi X….that brings back memories. EGM was my favorite back then, and I used to love Quartermann's rumors.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I definitely gloss over almost any full review or previews (or just entirely ignore written previews) for most games, especially if I already know whether I'm excited about it or not.

But I will still read a full-on review here and there for a game I'm really excited about or especially for a game I worked on.

I definitely veer more towards videos these days though. Trailers and hands-on gameplay and sometimes impressions. The odd video review.

Oh man if I actually had worked on a game I would obsess over the review majorly

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I think the last written reviews I read were by Tom Chick and/or Stirling.
I like "contrarians" so they were good. That reminds that i should visit Chick's site.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Quartermann (Q-man) wasn't anyone. It was a collection of rumors or stuff editors saw when they went on developer visits or just speculation or just completely made up bullshit (that occasionally came true). One person would collect stuff from everyone on the staff each month and write it up. They'd then fill up the empty space with LIES hahahaha.

...This is almost as bad as finding out Santa Claus isn't real.

Like someone else said earlier in the topic, Q-Man's corner gave me so much LIFE back in my youthful days! It's probably why I love following leaks, rumors and the like even to this day.

Kitsune86

Nov 25, 2017
I remember reading EGM / Nintendo Power wanting to write in games media ever since. Which eventually lead me to N64.com, which became IGN.

I never did get to see my own words in print and the days of dedicated gaming magazines are long dead. I did do freelance for IGN for like 7 years, so in a way I made that childhood dream a reality and have made the childhood dream of going to E3/GDC to witness the spectacle , so many times it's common place.

Heck this thread brought back memories!