Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This... If you have a switch and you haven't bought hades then you're doing games wrong.

OP, you haven't mentioned if you have played other exclusives besides botw. Have you played Odyssey? Fire emblem 3 houses? Animal crossing? Smash bros?

The switch has such an incredible library that I can't imagine anyone not finding something to fit their tastes. It's true that the games retain their prices longer but that's beneficial if you trade in your games regularly. In the UK you can get away with only paying 15 quid or so for every new release if you trade in the last one.

Edit - I see you're specifically mentioning 3rd party but why would you buy the more expensive switch versions if you have a PS4? Just get the 3rd parties on that and grab any of the exclusives for the switch?
How is Hades on the Switch? I have it on PC from when Epic was giving it away for free like a year ago.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
You better charge the thing. I didnt touch my switch for a couple of months and when I picked it up to buy Hades I learned that it would no longer hold a charge.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The reality is 3rd parties sell FAR less games on the Switch, so they price their games higher to make up for it. 3rd parties sell A LOT more games on the PS4 and can lower their prices.

Third party games go on sale on the Switch at reasonable prices all the time.

This thread feels crazy to me given how much stuff actually is on sale on the Switch. The Bethesda shit doesn't go on sale at reasonable prices (Doom and Skyrim at 50% off full price is not a deal) but beyond that everything else feels fine.

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
How is Hades on the Switch? I have it on PC from when Epic was giving it away for free like a year ago.
Incredible. It fits the switch perfectly as it's one of those games you can pick up for a single 30 minute run. It might be a bit easier than most roguelites but that's by the by when the writing is this good.

Honestly in contention for my game of the year.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Did you read the OP at all? I'm fine paying 70€ day one for a Game. I'm not fine paying 50€ for a game that is a decade old and sells for 15€ on another system.

This has nothing to do with how much money i'm willing to spend on my hobby. That's a silly take.
But that is how the Switch has always worked, we sometime never see discounts on these types of games which means they do not devaluate.

My take was in general as I see the same complaints from Nintendo games and others all the time when it is so easy to get over.

You don't want to spend 50€ then buy it used on eBay, or buy it play it and then sell it for something close to 50€.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Same boat, sold my SL during the shut down cause i could not find a reasonably priced 1st party game after being out for 3 years.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
But that is how the Switch has always worked, we sometime never see discounts on these types of games which means they do not devaluate.

My take was in general as I see the same complaints from Nintendo games and others all the time when it is so easy to get over.

You don't want to spend 50€ then buy it used on eBay, or buy it play it and then sell it for something close to 50€.

And i'm not allowed to criticize that?

Seems like a lot of people in this thread share the same experience, so it's not like it's Something Crazy.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm calling BS on the first two points. Porting to NS doesn't require a whole new game. Yes there are expenses but not enough to keep a game at full price years later. Especially when a lot of these third parties have said they were actually pleased with the NS sales. Surely a lot of these titles have far exceeded the profit point. I mean why would Bethesda continue porting if this weren't the case?

Second point, the Nintendo audience and the third party audience are the same audience and I'm sure they would jump on some of these games at a decent price. In fact a lot of people who own a NS also own either an XB or PS.

the third point however could be a factor. But it's still shitty practice to sell your games at one place significantly higher than everywhere else you sell them

First point isn't about porting costs, it's about the cost of Cartridges versus Discs. You may call BS but we have numerous insiders that have stated it's such an issue that some games may have been held off the platform due to the high cart costs.

Second Point is about Nintendo's consumers being used to paying full price for games. Let's be honest, Nintendo sells the vast majority of physical software on the Switch and since games published by Nintendo rarely go on sale, consumers don't have an expectation that 3rd Party titles will drop in price. Since 3rd Parties don't have to drop the price simply to compete with lower prices software from Nintendo themselves, and because of the first point, there isn't as much incentive for them to drop the price.

Bird Feedr

Sep 18, 2020
Initial investment for older 3rd party games is higher as you say. This is how I'd do it to keep costs down for Switch - helped by the fact that these games hold their value much better than all other platforms

Step 1. Buy Physical
Step 2. Finish game
Step 3. Sell on ebay for (60-70%+ ish?) value.
Step 4. Buy new game with money recouped (+30~% if new game)
Step 5. repeat

Think that would work out about as expensive as Ps4 / Xbox games. Those titles lose value before you even get them home, and tend to be worth next to nothing after a few months.

I've owned Zelda BOTW for 3 years and could sell it right now for around £7-10 less than the £45 I paid. I definitely got that much value out of it.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
And i'm not allowed to criticize that?

Seems like a lot of people in this thread share the same experience, so it's not like it's Something Crazy.
Yes, I am not saying you are not allowed to criticize, but I am saying is why waste time complaining about it when there are avenues for you to easily get these games for cheaper.

If you go to eBay right now it is well under the 50€ price.

Other in this thread are telling you what I am and also share my experience.

I am telling it is the way. I am about to get my PS5 and I am paying what for it? 200?

So to make it short, i really want to play 3rd. Party games on my Switch, but the Game prices are just far too high compared to what i pay for the PS4 version. I really hope this changes down the line.
I don't think it will change and you have to just search for the deals as they are readily available.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Same, really. Their high and consistent prices mean I have to be extremely interested in a game to buy it, so I end up buying the surefire things I know I'll love... so Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Smash, Mario Kart. Everything else I end up getting is via those extremely rare discounts or just not at all.

There's honestly many Nintendo games I lost interest in over time because they were too expensive for me to find them worth buying, and by the time a deal came along I just didn't care anymore. I don't really even mind it, it keeps my impulse purchase habit in check and I end up actually playing the games I buy.

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
The switch dominates the sales charts and certain Nintendo exclusives like pokemon are evergreens that sell boatloads no matter what. But given the overwhelming sales of the console, nintendo should absolutely be dominating software charts and they're not because of their horrible pricing strategies.

I just bought a PS4 to play all the missed exclusives this gen. I bought LOU2, LOU remastered, GOW, uncharted 4, and sotc all for $160. If I tried to do something similar with major switch games it would have run me $300, the same price as the damn console itself. There's a reason I only own 3 cartridges for my switch and buy almost all my 3rd party games for my one x.

I'd really love to play dragon warrior xi but I'm not paying $60 for the port of a game that's a few years old now, even if it is portable 🤷🏽‍♂️

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite fond of the joycon rumble, but when push comes to shove, i can live without it.

If you remember to, please post your impressions when you feel like i, i'm in the fence of getting one and maybe i will, this holidays, but i need an extra push.

I hope they're good :)
Hey! Just wanted to respond and let you know that I did get a chance to play with the Hori Split Pad Pro for quite a bit last night (about an hour between about 4 different games). I also have the Hori left Joy-Con, but didn't really like it because the analog still sucked, I found the d-pad to be both too stiff and mushy (if that makes any sense), and the "-" button to sit too high and odd to press.

Overall, very impressed with these! When I first put them on, my impression was, "This thing is massive now," and it felt a bit odd at first to have my hands so wide apart compared to how I'm used to them. But I adjusted quickly. They're also quite light and when you take into consideration the size, it almost feels *lighter* than with the standard Joy-Cons. LOL

Everything is just a lot quieter on these than they are on the Joy-Cons, which are clicky (and I like that), but it is a noticeable drop in noise.

The d-pad is much bigger than on the Hori Joy-Con, and it feels much better too. Rocks back and forth nicely, and I did some fast back-and-forth tests, and I didn't register any wrong up/down inputs, so I think it would work well for PPT/Tetris 99/etc.

The biggest benefit IMO though are the analog sticks. They're nicely contoured (they don't have that sharp edge like on Power A's), are very smooth to spin (my SN30 Pro+ kind of has a mild textured feel to its rotation), feel more premium than they should, and make nuanced motion a breeze. I played Doom and Out Run, and precision turning/aiming was so much easier in Doom, and I was able to perform light, medium and hard turns in Out Run on command. I could never really do that with the Joy-Cons, so games like these in particular almost feel like you're playing different games.

I also played several runs of Rogue Legacy, focusing on the d-pad, and again, no issues. Feels good, my thumb did not get fatigued, and I didn't notice any incorrect or missed inputs. Was easy to do downward strikes on platforms quickly, etc.

Hopped into Animal Crossing NH, and this is where I missed the rumble for my in-game phone and such. For a game like that, regular Joy-Cons w/ a Satisfye grip are better IMO or a Pro Controller on TV. I didn't really see any benefit to using these with ACNH.

It has turbo and rear button mapping functionality that I haven't tried yet, but I could see the rear buttons being useful.

Again, it doesn't have all the other features of a standard Joy-Con, and you have to use the power button to wake it, but that's less of an issue with these vs. a traditional controller, where you might not be right next to or holding your Switch.

Finally, from a full charge, when I was done last night after an hour of play, I was at 70%, which I think is pretty good. Might drain faster than regular Joy-Cons, but I've heard these newer revision ones are better, and at least after one session, it didn't seem all that worse, but I'll see how it goes if I play more demanding games like BOTW or Xenoblade Chronicles DE.

Anyway, hope that helps! tl;dr is I think they're worth it. :)

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Same boat. Im disgust to see Burnout Paradise at 65$ when i can get it in special at 10$ on PS/XB. Everytime a port, remaster is coming for this system, get ready to pay a crazy Nintendo taxe. Really sick of it, im really considering dropping Nintendo. ACNH was disappointing for me, and there is not much else im waiting for this system.