Oct 27, 2017
Ok, that's good to hear. As I said, I did order a controller from the link you provided, so at least I will have one. Thanks again.

Honestly, not even sure if he knows they are non-legit or not. Looking at the controller, and even when you take it out of the box, it looks 100% authentic. But it's just holding and using it is when you can tell the differences.

I did receive a refund from him already, so we are good.

It's not that I need controllers right now, but I only have two dualshock controllers, and they are far from new, so just preparing for the future.

Thanks for your help.

Gotcha, that's pretty unfortunate and I guess I could see someone getting sold them in bulk thinking they got a steal somehow. I had no idea it had gotten that bad. In the past it was usually very obvious.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
This is where I'm at as well. Fakes have been prevalent for so long now, you just don't know what you're getting. I've looked into local sales, for used controllers, and I don't feel comfortable with what I'm buying. Can't blame anyone for thinking these controllers are real.

Seems like the only way to be sure is to open the controllers up. The battery is an obvious tell.

Yeah, but don't really want to open up the controller, then you can run into other issues.

Gotcha, that's pretty unfortunate and I guess I could see someone getting sold them in bulk thinking they got a steal somehow. I had no idea it had gotten that bad. In the past it was usually very obvious.

Yeah, unfortunately it isn't that obvious any longer. I wish it was.

On another note, how difficult is it to find 360 controllers? Are they basically in the same situation with PS3, where a lot of fakes are out there and difficult to spot? Are you still able to find new official MS controllers relatively easily, still? I have one 360 controller and thinking maybe I should pick up one other. I have rarely used the 360, but now thinking I should get another one with what I'm going through with the PS3.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason you have to have it?

Otherwise I recommend you just get a TITAN1 converter and use a DS4/XB1X controller on your PS3.

I still play my PS3 but my hands just can't go back to DS3 after holding a DS4/XB1X controller. And with the converter the controllers function fully.
I'm gonna need more info on this. It isn't cheap and it's made by a company I never heard of.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I kept a few black PS3 controllers from that generation. I have 2 Black DualShocks and 1 Black Sixaxis. I Wanted a Blue one to match my blue DS4 and the Blue DS3 I got was fake; it works perfectly well but sixaxis doesn't work at all, I noticed this while streaming Tools of Destruction, the laser sections with forced sixaxis to blast threw walls didn't work - pulled out one of my Black DS3's and it worked perfectly.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm gonna need more info on this. It isn't cheap and it's made by a company I never heard of.
I'd never heard of them as well. Like I said I don't have any stake in the company it's just worked well for what I need. I did have to get an extra $20 Bluetooth dongle to get it fully working with PS3/XBONE controller. I've used it to play Xenogears, Demons Souls, Castlevania: SOTN so far on my PS3 and it's been fine.

The way it worked was you get the adapter, plug it into PC and use the app to configure it to whatever system you're plugging it into and the controller you're trying to pair it to. I believe it even has settings that allow you to save multiple diff pairings etc. I've barely dipped into it since I just use it for basic PS3 stuff but like I said the companion app comes with scripts for fighting games that users upload, sorta like the nexus mod app. Then you take the adapter and plug it into the system you've configured it for, pair controller, voila, you're playing PS3 games on a modern controller. It advertises functionality for using DS3, DS4, XB360, XB1 controllers across the PS3/4 X360/XOne ecosystem as well as PCs, so it's possible you'll get more use out of it than just a DualShock 3 replacement option.

Anyway I don't want to break any rules or come off as a schill I just really like the product and no way I'd go back to a DS3 with this as a viable option

For the person who asked about rumble I'll check it on Demons Souls tonight

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's been mentioned but just use a Dualshock 4.

The DS3 is such garbage, I hate going back.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'd never heard of them as well. Like I said I don't have any stake in the company it's just worked well for what I need. I did have to get an extra $20 Bluetooth dongle to get it fully working with PS3/XBONE controller. I've used it to play Xenogears, Demons Souls, Castlevania: SOTN so far on my PS3 and it's been fine.

The way it worked was you get the adapter, plug it into PC and use the app to configure it to whatever system you're plugging it into and the controller you're trying to pair it to. I believe it even has settings that allow you to save multiple diff pairings etc. I've barely dipped into it since I just use it for basic PS3 stuff but like I said the companion app comes with scripts for fighting games that users upload, sorta like the nexus mod app. Then you take the adapter and plug it into the system you've configured it for, pair controller, voila, you're playing PS3 games on a modern controller. It advertises functionality for using DS3, DS4, XB360, XB1 controllers across the PS3/4 X360/XOne ecosystem as well as PCs, so it's possible you'll get more use out of it than just a DualShock 3 replacement option.

Anyway I don't want to break any rules or come off as a schill I just really like the product and no way I'd go back to a DS3 with this as a viable option

For the person who asked about rumble I'll check it on Demons Souls tonight

Can confirm the vibrate works with the titan one+bluetooth adapter with X1X controller on PS3. Playing Demons Souls and getting big feedback on cutscenes and when I'm hit.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I started buying extra PS4 controllers now cause i know this will be a problem in the future. I have 1 in use and 3 mint stored away.

PS3 i managed to find one Original new for sale. Expensive, but the feeling is unquestinable.

Now... PS2, that's a lost cause. Had to resign myself to Knockoff's

The thrist is real and won't go away!

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I received the two PS3 controllers today and I believe they are fake. They are very good ones. By visual means, all the boxes are marked for them to qualify for 'official' controllers. But there are just too many other aspects that make me believe they are knock-offs.

1) The controllers are lighter compared to my other Dualshock 3 controllers, ones I bought through official means.

IIRC later made dualshock 3s are lighter than the originals, aren't they? I bought a pink DS3 years ago and spent a ton of time researching fakes to make sure I got a legitimate one for sure, and in the reviews of it I used as reference heard it was lighter than their old DS3s, and mine is really light in person as well. The other issues you're having, however..

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC later made dualshock 3s are lighter than the originals, aren't they? I bought a pink DS3 years ago and spent a ton of time researching fakes to make sure I got a legitimate one for sure, and in the reviews of it I used as reference heard it was lighter than their old DS3s, and mine is really light in person as well. The other issues you're having, however..

That's a shame the newer ones are made lighter. The original Sixaxsis, before the D3s where manufactured, was lighter, as well. But yes, there were other factors with them, as well.

Fortunately I have one coming in that should be of heavier stock, depending on how old Gaardus' prior D3 are. I'm hoping it is the same weight as my D3s, not sure what the actual weight on them are. I think the newest one I have is about 4-5 years old and I bought it new.

Is there anyone here that knows if the 360 (official) controllers are as hard to get a hold of? And have the same issues in a lot of fake ones being manufactured?

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Let's see, for a quick check if you have it, in Killzone 2 the loading screens rotate with the controller movement. It also requires it to turn some valves and things like that. I think most racing games on ps3 allow you to steer using sixaxis.

Most ps3 exclusives use it in some way. I'm not sure if I can find an easier check, though.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I never realized that there was such a big market for PS3 controller fakes. I have 2 controlles in decent condition but one has issues sometimes with dpad. I was thinking of getting another one but didn't realize that most of the ebay listings would be fake. Might hit up couple gamestops nearby and see if they have any in decent conditions.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a fake from simplygames some years ago. Was suspicious when it came in a cardboard box instead of the plastic official one but the controller itself looked legit enough. Couple months later the right stick broke and when I opened it up it was clearly a fake.

Contacted simplygames and they denied it of course and asked me to return it. Returning it would have cost me more than the controller so just gave up and have avoided the shithole company ever since.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
I never realized that there was such a big market for PS3 controller fakes. I have 2 controlles in decent condition but one has issues sometimes with dpad. I was thinking of getting another one but didn't realize that most of the ebay listings would be fake. Might hit up couple gamestops nearby and see if they have any in decent conditions.
btw, there's no big difference in build quality between fake and original controllers. Plus fake controllers cost like $20.

I had 4 original controllers and 1 counterfeit. And only fake controller is survived.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Dualshock-Controller-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B078JGBLXS/

Something like that should be good.

Strange that Sony doesn't seem to be making them anymore. Microsoft sure as hell still makes 360 controllers.

They do? Where can you buy 360 controllers that you know are manufactured by MS? They are no longer at the stores and there are fakes for the 360 controllers, as well. I even couldn't find 360 controllers on Microsoft's website, they are all current gen Xbox controllers, or ones you can play on Win 10.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd feel pretty safe those are authentic. But ouch, $77.
Part of the hobby. A premium.

btw, there's no big difference in build quality between fake and original controllers. Plus fake controllers cost like $20.

I had 4 original controllers and 1 counterfeit. And only fake controller is survived.
Legit controllers wont turn off after 5 minutes wirelessly. They stay on until their battery runs out

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They do? Where can you buy 360 controllers that you know are manufactured by MS? They are no longer at the stores and there are fakes for the 360 controllers, as well. I even couldn't find 360 controllers on Microsoft's website, they are all current gen Xbox controllers, or ones you can play on Win 10.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=360+controller

Easy enough to spot the fakes.

edit: I'll ask Major Nelson if they're still being made. Maybe I'm wrong. I just see them more commonly in stock at Amazon.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017

What isual said.

I bought two fake controllers (unintentionally) recently, and one of the reasons I knew they were fake is they kept turning off. That can happen with legit controllers, but it happened maybe twice, ever, with my authentic controllers. And these turned off while still being connected to my PS3 with the USB cable.

Also, the build is not the same. Weight was different, and you can just tell the difference on how it feels and performs. Clicking the R3 or L3 was loud and felt like the back of the controller was not solid. And on top of that, there were times that the directional pad or buttons would not respond, would have to hit them a second time. With my authentic controllers, I've never had these problems.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Have Wii Remotes dried up too? My only Remote Plus walked out of my house recently so I need to replace it.
I haven't checked recently, but I don't recall Wiimotes having the counterfeit issue that Dualshock 3s have. Cheap remotes that look like the originals, sure, but not ones claiming to be genuine Nintendo products. Regardless, Nintendo of America has a few new remotes still available through their website. Dunno if they're the cheapest source, though.

Edit: In the ten minutes since I posted this, the Yoshi color went out of stock. Which one of you was it?

Last edited:

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Sony threw them in that landfill with the E.T. Cartridges.

But seriously Walmart, GameStop's might still carry them. Are there any mom and pop video game shops in your area?

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=360+controller

Easy enough to spot the fakes.

edit: I'll ask Major Nelson if they're still being made. Maybe I'm wrong. I just see them more commonly in stock at Amazon.

I honestly don't know a lot about the fake 360 controllers, as I've never bought one. But from the brief time I've spent online there have been plenty of people complaining how the controller was fake and it looked 100% authentic. I just got fooled in buying two D3 controllers, so don't want to take my chances with a 360 controller.

And are official MS 360 controllers wired? I thought they were wireless like the D3 for Playstation? The only 360 controller I have, I got with the R2-D2 system, which is a golden, wireless controller. I wanted to buy a second one, but not sure which ones I can purchase, and would prefer to buy one that is wireless (and still authentic).

I never had that problem.

mine is basically 1:1 copy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made on the same factory :)

Well, you were fortunate then. And some fakes are better than others. But just telling you what I experienced and fakes aren't always as good. I would honestly prefer to have an authentic controller because I know they are good quality and you aren't rolling the dice.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I honestly don't know a lot about the fake 360 controllers, as I've never bought one. But from the brief time I've spent online there have been plenty of people complaining how the controller was fake and it looked 100% authentic. I just got fooled in buying two D3 controllers, so don't want to take my chances with a 360 controller.

And are official MS 360 controllers wired? I thought they were wireless like the D3 for Playstation? The only 360 controller I have, I got with the R2-D2 system, which is a golden, wireless controller. I wanted to buy a second one, but not sure which ones I can purchase, and would prefer to buy one that is wireless (and still authentic).

Well, you were fortunate then. And some fakes are better than others. But just telling you what I experienced and fakes aren't always as good. I would honestly prefer to have an authentic controller because I know they are good quality and you aren't rolling the dice.

There are wired and wireless official 360 controllers.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Agreed, it's a lottery.

Btw, PS3 manufacturing was discontinued last year, so that's why there's no "cheap" original controllers anymore.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's fucking weird, I went through like 10-15 Dualshock 3 controllers (I do still have them if you don't believe me... a few might still be fixable or so I hope) but here's the weird thing, a silver DS3, from like 09, one of the first ones with the lower capacity batteries is still working like a champ, holds charge 1-2 days which ain't bad, the color is mostly off, it's barely silver anymore lol, but the crazy thing is it still just works and is at the moment my only working DS3 controller...

I do have a blue see through one from my LE PS3 super slim, but I don't wanna use it really. Oh well.

Did you look at Amazon OP? Might be your best chance, or importing?

Just don't expect to pay less than 60 bucks, they're 60 bucks new, 70 would be still ok, personally.

Last edited:

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would just be easier and cheaper to buy a used one, take it apart and clean it and install a new battery and analogue sticks.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would just be easier and cheaper to buy a used one, take it apart and clean it and install a new battery and analogue sticks.
That's what I'm planning to do with mine sometimes, or rather swap parts, most of them aren't really broken per say but have one or more sticky buttons... even basically otherwise "brand-new" ones. Built quality was really pretty awful on these.

The Sixaxis controllers were of much better quality, I still have those as I barely ever used them, I hate controllers without vibration...

*Cue gamegirladvance links / references *

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
I grabbed 2x Sony - DualShock 3 Wireless Controller for PlayStation 3 - Black for $30 a piece on Nov 1st 2016, still have them in the box (not interested in selling) but I just remember that being an amazing deal and I wish I grabbed more....( I remember the boxes were covered in dust when I got them, must have sat there for years and best buy just wanted to get rid of them) it was like a fire sale before they completely pulled them, these things rarely went on sale too.

I grabbed 3 WiiU Pro controllers that way last year from Target (still have 2 in the box as well) should have got 4 of them.... but I figured I had the WiiU controller so I didnt need 4..

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They must have all fallen off the face of the planet. I ended up getting scammed on ebay and bought a counterfeit. I went to gamestop to look at their used controllers and each one was more broken and disgusting than the last.

Where do you folks suggest I might find one that doesn't look like it's covered in ten years of cheeto dust, mountain dew, and dried spermatozoa?
I have tons, you can have one for the price of shipping if you want. They're a bit dusty, but I'll gladly wipe one down for you.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
What's fucking weird, I went through like 10-15 Dualshock 3 controllers (I do still have them if you don't believe me... a few might still be fixable or so I hope) but here's the weird thing, a silver DS3, from like 09, one of the first ones with the lower capacity batteries is still working like a champ, holds charge 1-2 days which ain't bad, the color is mostly off, it's barely silver anymore lol, but the crazy thing is it still just works and is at the moment my only working DS3 controller...

The controller from my first BC PS3 is still working. It's actually only a sixaxis controller, when Sony was giving the BS reason of "the dualshock doesn't work with our P3 controllers", where it really was the legal issue in using the dualshock.

I have two other controllers, both dualshock. I never use the sixaxis any longer unless I need to, because it is noticeably lighter.

The other D3 I ordered came into today, will be picking it up. This one should be authentic, as it's from the same seller Gaardus got his controller (which he said is 100% authentic). Will let everyone know my results when I get home with it and check it out.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Let's see, for a quick check if you have it, in Killzone 2 the loading screens rotate with the controller movement. It also requires it to turn some valves and things like that. I think most racing games on ps3 allow you to steer using sixaxis.

Most ps3 exclusives use it in some way. I'm not sure if I can find an easier check, though.

Unfortunately I don't have KZ2 anymore, I got rid of most of my physical PS3 games. But according to the website, the sixaxis functions should work, I think?

https://www.consoletuner.com/kbase/compatibility_list_of_controllers.htm

Anyway, like I said, this has been everything I've wanted in terms of using other controllers on PS3, hope it helps someone

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed 2x Sony - DualShock 3 Wireless Controller for PlayStation 3 - Black for $30 a piece on Nov 1st 2016, still have them in the box (not interested in selling) but I just remember that being an amazing deal and I wish I grabbed more....( I remember the boxes were covered in dust when I got them, must have sat there for years and best buy just wanted to get rid of them) it was like a fire sale before they completely pulled them, these things rarely went on sale too.

I grabbed 3 WiiU Pro controllers that way last year from Target (still have 2 in the box as well) should have got 4 of them.... but I figured I had the WiiU controller so I didnt need 4..
I got the blue DS3 back in Oct 2015 from Best Buy for $10. Should've got more than 1.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just have bad luck. I think the one I have is a fake, as well.

It also feels lighter than my older, original (authentic) controllers. But even if Sony released their newer D3 controllers a bit lighter, the controller will not turn on without having it plugged into the PS3 via the USB cable. I understand the controller is new, and needs to be charged. But the four controller lights should at least flash and attempt to turn on. Nothing happens if I hit the 'Home' button. No flashing, nothing.

Also, it won't charge on my Nyko 4-port charger. Yes, it's a 3rd party item, but I've never had issues charging controllers with until these last 3 D3 controllers I've purchased. So, the only way to charge the controller is to leave my PS3 on and charge it through the USB cable. I will let it charge for a bit, but even after a few minutes it should be enough to leave the controller on for a short while. However, even still it immediately shuts off when I unplug the cable from the controller. And will not turn on at all, or attempt to, if I hit the 'Home' button.

*sigh*

Edit: Ok, now it is working when hitting the Home button. I guess I didn't give it enough time to charge. I had thought the controller still flashed a few times when it was low on battery, but just didn't catch (light becomes solid), but apparently it just doesn't turn on at all. Honestly, it's been a long time since I've had to charge a completely dead D3, so I could not remember.

It still won't charge on my Nyko charger, which is a bit irritating, but at least it appears to work now.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks you missed out on the Vita TV firesale, I ended up buying one just for the PS3 controller it came with for $50

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
Buy this adapter, then use a Dualshock 4. Works great.
I recommend the Brook Adapter instead with a DualShock 4. It supports a wireless connection after setting it up, Sixaxis functionality (top review), and full button functionality. I used it myself when I used to play Destiny on the PS3 as a way to replay Year 2 last year.
*Cue gamegirladvance links / references *

giphy.gif

I used to Jane Pinckard's website and I had fond memories of her showing up in 1up Yours. She had a lot of insight and personality.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The controller from my first BC PS3 is still working. It's actually only a sixaxis controller, when Sony was giving the BS reason of "the dualshock doesn't work with our P3 controllers", where it really was the legal issue in using the dualshock.

I have two other controllers, both dualshock. I never use the sixaxis any longer unless I need to, because it is noticeably lighter.

The other D3 I ordered came into today, will be picking it up. This one should be authentic, as it's from the same seller Gaardus got his controller (which he said is 100% authentic). Will let everyone know my results when I get home with it and check it out.
Yea the Sixaxis controllers are nearly indestructible , I still have several of those unused too. I mean thank god we have those adaptors now but basically they're my last resort should my remaining DS3(s) ever break as I actually plan on playing on PS3 for a long time, my favorite console and games ever. I know there's emulation but it's not the same as long it doesn't also emulate the environment, aka online play, friends list, messaging, basically the whole xmb.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend the Brook Adapter instead with a DualShock 4. It supports a wireless connection after setting it up, Sixaxis functionality (top review), and full button functionality. I used it myself when I used to play Destiny on the PS3 as a way to replay Year 2 last year.

Just to be clear, the Mayflash adapter also works wirelessly and supports the gyroscope. You have very limited options for button remapping, but then it costs less than half the price of the Brook Adapter.